Notices

Love for Lowry

Old
11-02-2016, 05:11 PM
FFHockey

vCash: 500
Love for Lowry

Hey Jets followers,

Still not getting all the hate for Lowry on this board. I am not his biggest fan, (or a relative) but don't really think he deserves all the "hate" he gets on this board.

He had a stellar year 1 which had lots on here (including our coach) excited about the future for him.

Last year was certainly a step back which saw him end up on the Moose for a period of time. (which should have started much earlier than it did). Though he was better once back from the A, he still had a ways to go. Sophomore jinx?

This year has been an upswing for him from last year in my eyes. Aside from his lack of finish on the PP and the face off loss in last night's game vs the Caps, there's not that much to be upset about with his play. Or do people hate on him because they don't like Coach's decision to play him on #1 PP. I can't say I like him on the #1 PP either, but it's not like he put himself there? Lots of disgust with him is related to his stature on the PP.

I try to watch him closely when I attend games and he does so many good things on the boards, on the cycle, has great chemistry with one of our new fan faves, decent on the draws, and so on...plus he's only 23!

Having said all that, I am not a big analytics guy, so maybe there's something he is doing (or not doing) that tells those who are into the fancy stats that he is deserving of all the negative press he gets.

It just seems like there is very small percentage of people on this board who like what they see from him this year.... I guess I am one of them and am fine with that!

FFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 05:15 PM
RustyCat
Registered homie

vCash: 182
Lowry has been a beast. Always been a fan of his and am excited to see where he goes. Love that he is bouncing back

RustyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Jetfaninflorida
Southernmost Jet Fan

Lowry has been better this year than last. He seems to be 1/2 step quicker and has improved in the faceoff circle. What i really liked is when he crapped the bed against the Caps on that third goal, he didnt go into some obscure explanation pointing to an unnamed third party or team i don't know what or something else (like Pav last year), he just owned up that he f'd up.

There was a debate last year whether Lowry was bringing Burmi down or vice versa. I think that question has been answered once and for all.

Jetfaninflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 05:32 PM
surixon

He's been better this year and I don't think many people have an issue with him per say but more an issue with Maurice using him in certain roles where he may not be suited.

I for one like him just fine as a physical defensively responsible bottom 6 player. I don't see him as much more than that nor do I like him on the PP due to the fact he's not gifted enough to take advantage of all the high quality chances that have come his way.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 05:49 PM
portamoral

wouldn't mind seeing lowry and MP reunited for a bit when litts is back

MP-lowry-armia

portamoral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 06:01 PM
HPsauce

I for one really like having Adam on our team, he's really a solid two way centre with a physical edge. I think he'll be a career 20 goal guy and a 50+ point guy too. He's still learning and I think he'll make some big strides this season, and next. I think he's our 3rd line centre when Little returns, he's been playing second line in his absence and is looking really good at it too

HPsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 06:05 PM
ducky

And we will lose him in the expansion draft unless a D is traded so we can protect 8 - 3 -1 instead of 4 - 4 - 1

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 06:09 PM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

vCash: 50
I have a Lowry jersey. I like the kid and am happy to see him playing better this year.

Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 06:40 PM
Afterburner
Jet Fuel

vCash: 457
I like Lowry. He's doing better this year and it will be cool to see where he goes from here.

Afterburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Dayofthedogs

Adam Lowry is a solid player and I hope to see him center the 3rd or 4th line for a long time to come. I believe he will have the ability to move up the lineup when injuries hit as well.

What I learned last year about him was this.... If he doesn't play with strong linemates they will drag him down instead of him dragging them up. However, If he plays with good or decent linemates he can help them improve and he improves as well.

I'm probably the only guy that likes Lowry on the PP. He's good at puck retrieval, He can win face offs and he's fearless standing in front of the net. He scored 45 goals in 75 games in his last year of junior and 17 in 64 games in the AHL. He doesn't have great hands but if Andrew Ladd taught me anything it's that you don't need great hands to score goals in the NHL.

I actually think he's been good on the PP. I also believe the PP has been good. 6th in the league in shots for per 60mins and dead last in shooting percentage at 3.95% would indicate to me our PP has just been unlucky. For reference the worst team last year in PP shooting percentage was 9.55%.

If the jets were shooting 9.55% they would have 5 PP goals (at 5vs4) then the 2 they currently have.

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 06:53 PM
ERYX
'Pegger in Exile

vCash: 1250
I am somewhat of a Lowry fan. I loved him his first year and developed a huge man crush on him. He was a beast his rookie year. I was disappointed by his big sophomore slump last year but he responded well to being sent down to the A. I am very happy to see him returning to his 14/15 form. I've always liked bed his attitude.

I want to get a Lowry jersey but I am scared that we'll lose him to Vegas.

I haven't detected too much negativity to Lowry qua Lowry, seems that some people are just really upset about him being on the PP due to his lack of finish. He had some decent finish on his goal last night. I don't mind him on the PP too much as he has good size and strength to block the front of he net. For all thof griping about Lowry's lack of finish on the PP I note that no one else on the PP (other than Laine) has scored this season.

ERYX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:03 PM
Blue Shakehead
because lol Jets

He scores at a lower rate than Chris Thorburn. I've never seen a player turn more breakaways into 1 on 2s in 30 years of watching the NHL. Slow, no hands and no business in the top 9 let alone on the #1PP.

Blue Shakehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:09 PM
EpicGingy

vCash: 2192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I for one really like having Adam on our team, he's really a solid two way centre with a physical edge. I think he'll be a career 20 goal guy and a 50+ point guy too. He's still learning and I think he'll make some big strides this season, and next. I think he's our 3rd line centre when Little returns, he's been playing second line in his absence and is looking really good at it too
Lowry will never hit 50 points.

I think he's improved so far this year and he looks like an NHLer again, but he just doesn't have the hands or the offensive instincts to hit 50 points.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:11 PM
DiggerD

Also a Lowry fan. Has been a top 5 possession guy this year, and improved on face offs.

DiggerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shakehead View Post
He scores at a lower rate than Chris Thorburn. I've never seen a player turn more breakaways into 1 on 2s in 30 years of watching the NHL. Slow, no hands and no business in the top 9 let alone on the #1PP.
Not exactry true. Primary Points per 60 5vs5

14/15
Thorburn 0.85 Lowry 1.04
15/16
Thorburn 0.71 Lowry 0.84
16/17
Thonburn 0 Lowry 0.73

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:27 PM
HPsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post
Lowry will never hit 50 points.

I think he's improved so far this year and he looks like an NHLer again, but he just doesn't have the hands or the offensive instincts to hit 50 points.
He could very well put up 50, it's all about opportunity. He's gonna get it here in Winnipeg

HPsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I like Lowry and he is definitely playing better this season.

Would be a shame to lose him in the expansion draft.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Babooch

Nice 4th liner. Our PP has no idea how to enter the zone. Our PP is unable to move the puck quickly enough if we do get OZ possession. Fix that and then maybe put stone hands in front of the net. He just gets in the way now with his below average puck skills.

Babooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Blue Shakehead
because lol Jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayofthedogs View Post
Not exactry true. Primary Points per 60 5vs5

14/15
Thorburn 0.85 Lowry 1.04
15/16
Thorburn 0.71 Lowry 0.84
16/17
Thonburn 0 Lowry 0.73
^ correction: he scores at a similar rate as Chris ****ing Thorburn.

Blue Shakehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Monorail for Tempe

vCash: 949
I like him

GET HIM THE BLEEP OFF THE FIRST POWERPLAY!

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:49 PM
winnipegger

vCash: 353
I fear that they are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with their development of Lowry. Is he going to be a shutdown center in the NHL that can also wack in rebounds on the PP? Maybe....is he going to be a run of the mill bottom 6 player with average to below average puck skills? I haven't really been convinced either way.

winnipegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:50 PM
DiggerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babooch View Post
Nice 4th liner. Our PP has no idea how to enter the zone. Our PP is unable to move the puck quickly enough if we do get OZ possession. Fix that and then maybe put stone hands in front of the net. He just gets in the way now with his below average puck skills.
His role isn't to gain the zone, or move the puck in the zone....he is the net front presence, his job is to cause a screen. He is doing his job, it is the other end of the 1-3-1 and the plate setters that aren't getting the job done.

DiggerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 08:01 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
He could very well put up 50, it's all about opportunity. He's gonna get it here in Winnipeg
It won't matter what opportunity he gets if he can't push his scoring rates well above the 0.7 to 1.0 points per 60 he's been sporting in his career to date. Those are 4th line scoring rates and he's primarily been used in the top 9 so far in his career. He looks like a 20 - 30 point guy, possibly 35 if he gets a lot of pp minutes.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 08:01 PM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD View Post
His role isn't to gain the zone, or move the puck in the zone....he is the net front presence, his job is to cause a screen. He is doing his job, it is the other end of the 1-3-1 and the plate setters that aren't getting the job done.
He could perhaps get his stick on a puck or two though. Just taking up space isn't much of a skill set.

Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

WHL Scholastic Player of the Year!

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote