Notices

Love for Lowry

Old
11-02-2016, 09:30 PM
EpicGingy

vCash: 2192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
He could very well put up 50, it's all about opportunity. He's gonna get it here in Winnipeg
He's gonna get 2nd line minutes?

50 points is 2nd line numbers. He's not 2nd line caliber.

I don't mean to be a negative nancy in one of the few positive threads around here right now but 50 points is a really unrealistic expectation as far as Lowry is considered.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 09:32 PM
Dayofthedogs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
WHL Scholastic Player of the Year!
I've always found Lowry to be one of the jets best interviews. He appears very composed and cerebral. I find him similar to PoMo in that regard actually.

It's a very good thing too because his smarts are going to be the difference in his being a 4th line center or a 3rd line center who can move up if needed. His brains will have to make up for the other parts of the game that he isn't adept with like speed and puck skills. I've found his quickness much improved this year though.

Dayofthedogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 09:39 PM
Jet
Buff Basher

vCash: 50
Never been any hate for Lowry from me. He was really good year one, gawdawful last year and paid for it by getting sent down, but looks like he put the work in this offseason to get back to form.

As long as people don't expect him to be something he's not (a scorer) then I think we can be happy having a big body guy who can play well defensively and hopefully continue to work on his draws.

As for PP? I don't like him on the powerplay. Give him his 5v5 and plenty of PK time. Put big guys with skill in front of the net if you want to screen the goalie.

Sucked last night... scores the goal to tie it up but then is pretty instrumental in giving the tie away with 30 seconds left. We need guys to bear down at that point of the game -- not only him.

11-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayofthedogs View Post
I've always found Lowry to be one of the jets best interviews. He appears very composed and cerebral. I find him similar to PoMo in that regard actually.

It's a very good thing too because his smarts are going to be the difference in his being a 4th line center or a 3rd line center who can move up if needed. His brains will have to make up for the other parts of the game that he isn't adept with like speed and puck skills. I've found his quickness much improved this year though.
Yeah he seems pretty sharp. Morrissey and Nogier also won the WHL Scholastic Player of the Year award...along with Chevy way back in the day (evidently there was no oral test ).

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Babooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD View Post
His role isn't to gain the zone, or move the puck in the zone....he is the net front presence, his job is to cause a screen. He is doing his job, it is the other end of the 1-3-1 and the plate setters that aren't getting the job done.
I realize that. But he's a poor choice being the net front guy. fast hands are required on PP even for the guy looking for rebounds. Armia has better hands and is just as big. Lowry takes alot of penalties. Makes zero sense for him on the PP.

Babooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2016, 12:37 AM
rehf
Fueled by Maurice

I don't mind Lowry... as nothing more than a 4th liner and PKer...

Wheeler is much more skilled and should be the one in front of the net on the first PP though.

rehf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Dayofthedogs

Lowry with another solid game and making the most of his scoring chances now. 6 SOG last game. Time to find out if it was him, Armia or both driving the bus for that line. (I'm guessing both)

Beasting hard, playing with confidence and now a clear cut number 2 center on this team. Interested to see who he plays with tonight.

Dayofthedogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2016, 06:08 PM
HPsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post
He's gonna get 2nd line minutes?

50 points is 2nd line numbers. He's not 2nd line caliber.

I don't mean to be a negative nancy in one of the few positive threads around here right now but 50 points is a really unrealistic expectation as far as Lowry is considered.
He is for sure playing that way now... His lime which he's been the only consistent member of, has been dominate all season.

He's got 4 goals and 6 points which he's picked up in the past 12.

He's doing very well for someone who hasn't reached his full potential.

Lowry in his prime will for sure be a 50 point player.

HPsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2016, 06:16 PM
EpicGingy

Quote:
He is for sure playing that way now... His lime which he's been the only consistent member of, has been dominate all season.

He's got 4 goals and 6 points which he's picked up in the past 12.

He's doing very well for someone who hasn't reached his full potential.

Lowry in his prime will for sure be a 50 point player.
Is it okay if I say he's forever a 20 point player when he inevitably goes on a cold streak?

Old
11-13-2016, 06:50 PM
Eyeseeing

I was one of his detractors based on how he played last year.
He has been very good so far which only proves I talk out of my butt sometimes ��
[MOD]

Last edited by wpgsilver: 11-13-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: OT
Eyeseeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2016, 07:25 PM
HPsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post
Is it okay if I say he's forever a 20 point player when he inevitably goes on a cold streak?
Why is it inevitable? Based on the way he's played this season it doesn't seem as though he will. He's been a consistent threat.

Old
11-13-2016, 07:28 PM
loupie

I've never been a fan of Lowry, even when people here were putting him on the first line. But I do like his game lately. I like him Tanev and Copp on the fourth line, makes a very good fourth line. SUb out Dano/Copp if you want and that's solid.

loupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2016, 07:43 PM
EpicGingy

Quote:
Why is it inevitable? Based on the way he's played this season it doesn't seem as though he will. He's been a consistent threat.
Literally every player in the league gets hot and then goes cold at some point. That's why it's inevitable.

You'll never convince me that Lowry has the hands, shot, or overall hockey IQ to consistently hit 50 points, if at all. And that's not me knocking Lowry, it's acknowledging his limitations. And it appears you're deadset on him being a 50 point guy so I guess we'll see how he does this and the next. I'm not holding my breath.

Old
11-13-2016, 08:12 PM
ERYX
'Pegger in Exile

vCash: 1250
50 points does see a bit high for Lowry. I love him, but he just doesn't seem the type of player to be deployed in such a way as to score fifty, at least not consistently. I could see him perhaps hitting that number in his best year. But in today's NHL that's a lot of points and I see him being a really really good 4th line centre, or a good 3rd line centre when injuries inevitably hit.

Successful teams need guys like that. I don't see that as in any way taking away from him or knocking him. People around here seem to put too much stock in scoring points in my view. Lowry doesn't need to score 50 to be a very important part of this team, is what I'm trying to say.

Maybe he develops more of a scoring touch and becomes a top 6 centre? I'm not banking on it, but I don't rule it out given his age and his improvement this season over last season's letdown.

I think we can safely say that it was not Armia pulling Lowry up. Lowry is good in his own right, and has played well this season with a variety of linemates. And he's not just playing as an adequate third line centre right now, he's good. He's sixth on the team in points. Is that due to a hot streak or just all-around solid play? I'm inclined towards the latter unless he's just having a 17 game hot-streak so far (admittedly he didn't score much the first while, but he's been playing pretty much the same level of game all season).

ERYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2016, 08:54 PM
Zhamnov10

There is no way we can lose Lowry in the expansion draft we desperately need his size in our line up especially if he continues to play like a top 9 forward he has been great this year and I'll admit I was down on him last year.

Zhamnov10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Lowry is a guy I still don't know what he is. He looked like a solid bottom six SA driving center his first year.

He looked like an AHL player last year.

He looks like a legit possibility of a middle six player right now (warning, extremely small sample size).

50 points is borderline first line production. I think that's out of the question. I guess he could get super lucky one season but I certainly wouldn't be banking on it.

I'll be very happy if he Pans out as a capable third line center.

Grind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2016, 09:18 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Lowry seems to get into the right places in the offensive zone with some regularity, but I don't know if he has the hands or puck sense (aside from going to the net) to hit 50 points. He's on pace for 29 points right now - that's pretty reasonable.

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2016, 10:15 PM
csk

Lowry in his prime I would optimistically guess ~35 points/82. This is really good. 50 points is the type of thing that 1st liners get. This is not Adam Lowry's game, and that's OK.

csk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2016, 10:42 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

I don't know what to make of him, but he looks a lot more like the great shot suppressor that we had in his rookie season than the player he was last season. Don't want him on the PP though.

Old
11-14-2016, 01:33 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
I liked Mathais .... Lowry......Armia. They were getting it done, until 2/3 rds of the line got hurt.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2016, 05:55 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie View Post
I've never been a fan of Lowry, even when people here were putting him on the first line. But I do like his game lately. I like him Tanev and Copp on the fourth line, makes a very good fourth line. SUb out Dano/Copp if you want and that's solid.
I'm not sure I remember anyone slotting Lowry above Scheif and Little? But he has had a really nice bounce back season. IMO if he is your 4th line center you have the makings of a really strong team.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2016, 06:35 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I'm not sure I remember anyone slotting Lowry above Scheif and Little? But he has had a really nice bounce back season. IMO if he is your 4th line center you have the makings of a really strong team.
No one did - only Maurice tried it.

Lowry has really turned things around this season - glad to see him back in smash-mouth form.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2016, 09:40 PM
HPsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post

Lowry has really turned things around this season - glad to see him back in smash-mouth form.
That's right, after he lead the team in scoring in the playoffs. He Little and Trouba were likely the only two jets that elevated their games during the 4 we played.

Old
11-14-2016, 09:46 PM
csk

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post

Even then, he only slotted him ahead of Scheif, because Little was playing wing on Lowry's line.

csk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2016, 09:49 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
Even then, he only slotted him ahead of Scheif, because Little was playing wing on Lowry's line.
And wasn't only the 1st couple games of the pre-season?

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote