Love for Lowry

Old
01-10-2017, 08:23 PM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
It was so weird seeing Trouba do this last night. It really stood out to me as totally against his style. He's usually so smart and responsible but that pinch was so awkward and weird
I think allot of that came off how much Jacob trusted Wheeler to make a smart play because that is what our Captain does and when Blake ****ed up it really hung JT out to dry. On Balance Jacob has been REALLY good this season at knowing when to lead a rush, support it, join late, and judge when to bail on a rush that is not materializing and get back into position. In the new NHL where 5v5 scoring is so tough active D are mandatory and Trouba is awesome at picking his spots although I questioned that play at the time too.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Dayofthedogs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 View Post
If Lowry can master the Wheeler, watch out. That's the rush down the left wing cut across the net and score.
I was going to say that he's actually looked pretty good going wide on guys when they cheat to the center. Definitely picked up his quickness.

I've also seen him use the Nik Ehlers come through the neutral zone with speed to back off the D and pull up just inside the line after gaining the zone a couple times recently.

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 View Post
If Lowry can master the Wheeler, watch out. That's the rush down the left wing cut across the net and score.
Score? Wheeler scores on that move?.....when?

Ducky10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Mortimer Snerd

vCash: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Really funny watching the Jets and Flames face off with Lowry and Tkachuk but the players swapped from the 90's

I think Lowry, besides a bit of a slow patch, has been back to the old Lowry we knew and loved from 2 years ago. He seems to be improving every game too. Glad to have him back!
He is now exceeding that. He has grown as if last year never happened. Right where I had hoped he would be by this time.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 02:25 PM
surixon

I've really liked how he's bounced back and appreciate how he's shown a willingness to skate the puck in with control. The fact he's now willing to make those kind of plays and not just dump and chase makes him a long term fit on this team as it moves towards a more skilled based game.

Still don't think he'll put up more than 30 points consistiently but he's now officially one me over as a good option for the third line.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
How would you feel if he had an avg. s%?

Petan should not be our 4C this year and Lowry should not be our 3C. I don't expect that to continue too long.
Why not?

Evil Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:54 AM
ERYX
'Pegger in Exile

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
He is now exceeding that. He has grown as if last year never happened. Right where I had hoped he would be by this time.
Absolutely.

I think Lowry deserves some recognition for setting a new career-high in goals scored last night. He now has 12 goals and 11 assists in 71 games played.

His line has been great all season, and he is not a passenger on that line as it stays strong even as various pieces get swapped-out. I've noticed that in many games when the team seems to be lacking effort or intensity, the Lowry line is the exception and continues to play with heart.

I sure hope the Jets protect Lowry in the expansion draft.

ERYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 10:04 AM
ERYX
'Pegger in Exile

vCash: 1250
Re: Mortimer Snerd's question on how would we feel if Adam Lowry had an avg sh% ...

He's got 11% even right now. Based on some googling (I don't have all the best sites for this stuff bookmarked), the league average shooting % is around 9 % so Lowry would have 9-10 goals instead of 12 right now. That's still respectable for a 3rd line centre IMO and doesn't detract from any of the other good things Lowry does.

I'm not sure what the value in such a question is though. Scheifele has over 20% shooting % ... does that mean we should not be pleased/impressed with his performance this season? Or what about Laine's 18%?

ERYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERYX View Post
Re: Mortimer Snerd's question on how would we feel if Adam Lowry had an avg sh% ...

He's got 11% even right now. Based on some googling (I don't have all the best sites for this stuff bookmarked), the league average shooting % is around 9 % so Lowry would have 9-10 goals instead of 12 right now. That's still respectable for a 3rd line centre IMO and doesn't detract from any of the other good things Lowry does.

I'm not sure what the value in such a question is though. Scheifele has over 20% shooting % ... does that mean we should not be pleased/impressed with his performance this season? Or what about Laine's 18%?
As far as I can tell, Lowry's whole line looks for chances. They don't shoot just because the can. I don't see 11% as being high for him.

Evil Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Little View Post
As far as I can tell, Lowry's whole line looks for chances. They don't shoot just because the can. I don't see 11% as being high for him.
Agree. Most of his shots come from about 2-3 feet in front of the net, or directly from the slot. Those tend to be high percentage areas.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Little View Post
His sh% has been pretty stable. His total shots dropped off last year and has recovered this year.

Old
03-18-2017, 12:55 AM
AWSAA

vCash: 1841
I'll give him some credit, definitely noticed some development in his game. In earlier seasons he couldn't even take 3 or more strides with the puck and make a pass.... but I remain skeptical. He's clearly one of Maurice's favorites. He's routinely getting more PP toi than Laine over the last couple of months which is ****ing ridiculous.

I'm already cringing at the thought of what Chevy is going to pay him next summer.

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 01:13 AM
pucka lucka

Lowry is a completely expendable player. We want to run Buff out of town and can't get enough of a stone hands 4th liner.

pucka lucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 02:03 AM
AlphaLackey

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucka lucka View Post
Lowry is a completely expendable player. We want to run Buff out of town and can't get enough of a stone hands 4th liner.
How many stone hands 4th liners have 13 goals? Like have you not noticed he, fourth line stone hands and all, has averaged more than 10 goals a year in his first three seasons?

AlphaLackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 02:32 AM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaLackey View Post
How many stone hands 4th liners have 13 goals? Like have you not noticed he, fourth line stone hands and all, has averaged more than 10 goals a year in his first three seasons?
Beagle, Roussel, Boyle, Letestu have the same or more. Martinook, Derek Ryan, Stalberg, Rene Bourque, Dominic Moore, Lewis, Sceviour, Winnik, McGinn, Ryan White, and a butt load of defencemen are all within a couple goals. And I can assure you none of those guys are getting regular PP time.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 03:17 AM
AlphaLackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
Beagle, Roussel, Boyle, Letestu have the same or more.
There are, by definition, 30 4th line centers in the league. You named 4 of 29 others with as many or more goals. So he's the ... at worst.. 5th best 4th liner? WHAT A SCRUB AMIRITE?

Quote:
Martinook, Derek Ryan, Stalberg, Rene Bourque, Dominic Moore, Lewis, Sceviour, Winnik, McGinn, Ryan White
.. and you named ten more that are close.

So, he's 5th of 30 4th line centres, and only "marginally" ahead of #s6-15. And that's supposed to convince me he's some stone hands like Thorburn?

Quote:
I mean,, and a butt load of defencemen are all within a couple goals. And I can assure you none of those guys are getting regular PP time.
.. and Lowry has averaged one power play goal per season over the last three seasons. ONE. PPG. 3 PPG and 7 PPA in his career. Plus one SHG and 1 SHA, which I'm sure you'll hold against him somehow.

I mean, let me ask you this, how many more goals per year do you need out of Lowry than ten per year over his first three years, before you don't describe him as the worst 4th line center in the league? [mod]

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 03-18-2017 at 03:50 AM. Reason: natd
Old
03-18-2017, 04:07 AM
AWSAA

Quote:
.. and Lowry has averaged one power play goal per season over the last three seasons. ONE. PPG.
and yet somehow Maurice's pet still gets more PP minutes than Laine, Ehlers, and Trouba for past couple of months.

Old
03-18-2017, 04:08 AM
Dayofthedogs

Lowry,

I absolutely love this kid. Have for going into 3 years now.

If I have one jets vice besides PoMo and Chevy it's Lowry. He is my dream 4th line center. A kid who can take rough minutes, a kid who takes d zone starts an turns them into O zone starts. A kid who can play in all situations.

Despite people calling for his head on the PP I think he's actually done a very good job there ( puck retrieval and net front) as he is 4th on the team in forwards p/60. I absolutely love him, sometimes irrationally so. He PKs, he does well (for our team) on the PP and I think if you counted screens he'd probaby be found a lot more valuable on the PP because he does that job fearlessly. He may not always get the points but he has no issue standing in front of the next trunk to tip shots and screen goalies.

He has earned his icell time this year and I believe a shift from 3rd line center to 4th line center signals exactly the kind of mentality this teams looking for. Honestly I believe he can be the best 4th line C in the game.

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:13 AM
AWSAA

^ Going to be hard to justify bumping down to the 4th line after Chevy gives him $3-3.5mill.

Old
03-18-2017, 04:18 AM
AlphaLackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAA View Post
and yet somehow Maurice's pet still gets more PP minutes than Laine, Ehlers, and Trouba for past couple of months.
Here's the thing: How much better does a superstar like Laine get when you bump him from 5v5 to PP? Probably not much, right? Like a minuscule gain, at best, right?

How much does Lowry gain? Probably more. I defy you to say his marginal gain is less.

So yeah, at the end of the day, 18 skaters have to play a combined 300 minutes. How you manage those marginal gains is as much a part of it as anything else?

Old
03-18-2017, 07:27 AM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

He can be a really good 3B or 4th line centre on a cup winning team but we are going nowhere if he centers a shut down 3rd line and we roll with a fighter like Thor on our 4th line. We have the assets under contract to get this fixed next season so the ball is in Maurice and Chevy's court.

I like Adam and every team needs a guy like him it's just about deploying him properly.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucka lucka View Post
Quote:
JMO but I think Lowry is about as valuable as a 4C can be. The trouble is that he is being played on the 3rd line. Edit: and on the PP!

It is a safe bet that he would score less playing 4th line minutes on a line where Armia is replaced by Thor. I think that's where he and Matthias should be though, except that the RW should be someone other than Thor. Tanev maybe?

When Thor is gone we are down to 3 RW's. We have a couple of LW's who can play the right side so that may sort itself out but Dano, for example should play higher on the depth chart than 4th line.

However that is worked out I think Lowry can centre a very good 4th line that can play 10 min/gm. I don't like to characterize him as "completely expendable".

Last edited by Mortimer Snerd: 03-18-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old
03-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAA View Post
Is it somehow Lowry's fault that Maurice is misusing him?

He should not be on the PP - ever. A case could be made for playing him on the 3rd line but I believe he should be on the 4th, therefore getting 4th line minutes and playing with 4th liners. Pretty sure he would score less under those circumstances but nevertheless he would be a valuable player.

Old
03-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
Here's the thing: How much better does a superstar like Laine get when you bump him from 5v5 to PP? Probably not much, right? Like a minuscule gain, at best, right?

How much does Lowry gain? Probably more. I defy you to say his marginal gain is less.

So yeah, at the end of the day, 18 skaters have to play a combined 300 minutes. How you manage those marginal gains is as much a part of it as anything else?
????
If Laine gains 10% it is more than if Lowry gains 20%. But why look at it that way?

How many goals does our PP gain with Laine compared to without Laine?
How many goals does our PP gain with Lowry compared to without Lowry?

Our PP sucks and blows. Lowry hasn't demonstrated that he belongs there. Wheeler doesn't belong on the point either.

Old
03-18-2017, 01:03 PM
Bigfish

Copp and Dano are the same type of players as Lowry except they skate better and can score from further than 5 feet from the net. Given the same opportunities that Lowry has been given this year i think both of them would have done more yhan Lowry has. I think Lowry is a decent 4th line center but that's about it.

Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote