Love for Lowry

Old
03-18-2017, 01:04 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaLackey View Post
There are, by definition, 30 4th line centers in the league. You named 4 of 29 others with as many or more goals. So he's the ... at worst.. 5th best 4th liner? WHAT A SCRUB AMIRITE?

.. and you named ten more that are close.

So, he's 5th of 30 4th line centres, and only "marginally" ahead of #s6-15. And that's supposed to convince me he's some stone hands like Thorburn?

.. and Lowry has averaged one power play goal per season over the last three seasons. ONE. PPG. 3 PPG and 7 PPA in his career. Plus one SHG and 1 SHA, which I'm sure you'll hold against him somehow.

I mean, let me ask you this, how many more goals per year do you need out of Lowry than ten per year over his first three years, before you don't describe him as the worst 4th line center in the league? [mod]
I think Lowry is a borderline elite 4th liner personally. He is not a 3rd liner in the modern NHL and having him on the 1st PP unit is pretty ridiculous IMO.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
He can be a really good 3B or 4th line centre on a cup winning team but we are going nowhere if he centers a shut down 3rd line and we roll with a fighter like Thor on our 4th line. We have the assets under contract to get this fixed next season so the ball is in Maurice and Chevy's court.

I like Adam and every team needs a guy like him it's just about deploying him properly.
Agree 100%

Lowry is a dream 3B /4th line center, BUT needs to have 3 more offensively minded/scoring centers above him/on his team

Here's the kicker that we need to keep in mind, that is not an overly rare commodity.

If he wasn't 6'5 and we were only talking about his actual impact none of us would be swooning (aside from it still being wonderful to pick up that kind of player in the third round)

Lowry is like a good piece of Ikea furniture, very functional and good at his job, but if you lose/or break him, it's pretty easy to drive to the store and get a new one. He's not some custom made antique that you protect at all costs.

I like Lowry, I hope we manage to keep him, but not at the cost of legitimate top six players or those with legitimate top six upside (Perrault, dano, etc)

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 01:22 PM
voyageur
The watchful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayofthedogs View Post
Lowry,

I absolutely love this kid. Have for going into 3 years now.

If I have one jets vice besides PoMo and Chevy it's Lowry. He is my dream 4th line center. A kid who can take rough minutes, a kid who takes d zone starts an turns them into O zone starts. A kid who can play in all situations.

Despite people calling for his head on the PP I think he's actually done a very good job there ( puck retrieval and net front) as he is 4th on the team in forwards p/60. I absolutely love him, sometimes irrationally so. He PKs, he does well (for our team) on the PP and I think if you counted screens he'd probaby be found a lot more valuable on the PP because he does that job fearlessly. He may not always get the points but he has no issue standing in front of the next trunk to tip shots and screen goalies.

He has earned his icell time this year and I believe a shift from 3rd line center to 4th line center signals exactly the kind of mentality this teams looking for. Honestly I believe he can be the best 4th line C in the game.
Honestly I think he is fine as a 3rd line centre. You need guys you can rely on, on the road coaches will expose your weaker defensive players, whether that be Petan, as we have seen, or Roslovic

Remember our playoff series? He was our best centre but he was flanked by scorers.

The kid can play and he leads by example. He has been hampered by linemates more than anybody on this team, Armia has been inconsistent, and Matthias is a straight line player, no creativity. Adding Copp over Matthias was a great decision. If you have Connor push his way into the lineup, and Perreault move down to the 3rd, Lowry is a 30 point centre, which is league standard I would say.

Calling for his dismissal on the PP is ridiculous. He has more points than Dano, and is more effective at being greasy, because he isn't easily pushed out of the crease.

I would change it up though.

1st PP

Perreault (draws)
Scheif
Laine
Ehlers
Trouba

Scheif can play the high slot for tips, Perreault facilitates offense with puck distribution, around the goal line. Laine does not need a screen for his shøt, rather good puck movement. And some greasy rebounds.

2nd PP
Lowry (net)
Wheeler
Little
Petan
Buff

3 RH shots, to feed, facilitated by Petan.

If Lowry can contribute to the PK and the PP, play against top lines, he is invaluable. Whereas Marko Dano's 20 potential points on the 4th line is easily replaceable.

voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 02:04 PM
FFHockey

So glad to see that the "Love for Lowry" has for the most part continued in this thread.

Like I said in the initial post, I am not a huge analytics guy but certainly see the value in them at times. To me one of the things he does so well that all the analytics in the world will never tell you is his ability to play with heart and soul. To me that is one of the things that this team lacks in spades at times. Being an "old school" hockey guy from northern Manitoba who is old enough to have watched Bobby Clarke play junior and his entire NHL career, there are very few players who captured what playing with heart and soul can do for a team better than him. No, I am not quite comparing Lowry to BC but he does not ever take a "game off" like so many of our stars have a tendency to do. Does he have off games? He sure does, but so do Crosby, McDavid, Scheif, etc. He has an old school work ethic that I love and to me if there were a few more like him on our team, we would be much better for it.

I would likely be remiss in not mentioning that I'm sure his father Dave played a big role in shaping the type of player he is, after all he played over a thousand games in the bigs with heart and soul being one of his biggest attributes. (Though I despised him as coach of the Juniors 2 yrs ago!)

End of the day, I don't have a problem with where he plays whether it's 3rd or 4th line. I just think he is a key ingredient on this team going forward and I am glad it appears the Jets coaching and Management appear to feel the same way. I would be shocked if the Jets exposed him at the XD.

FFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
I think Lowry is a borderline elite 4th liner personally. He is not a 3rd liner in the modern NHL and having him on the 1st PP unit is pretty ridiculous IMO.
That sounds like some kind of oxymoron but I think if there can be such a thing as an 'elite' 4C Lowry would be it.

Matthias has been a pleasant surprise - kudos to Chevy for that stealth signing. But he really belongs on that elite 4th line also. Lowry on the PP is ..... ..... really beyond mere words. If Wheeler can't be that big net front presence then maybe he shouldn't be on PP1 either. If Buff fails there too then maybe they need to use a different PP tactic.

Love Lowry. Love that he could move up to the 3rd line to cover injuries. But he should never be there when we are healthy.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:11 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post

Love Lowry. Love that he could move up to the 3rd line to cover injuries.
and when he gets paid like one? We'll have Perreault & him in the bottom six making over 7 mill. Oh and somehow we're going to extend Wheeler & Little, acquire a top 4 D + starting goaltender, cover the raises for Trouba, Ehlers, Laine, Connor, etc. and fit that all under the cap. Good luck.

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:12 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

vCash: 50
Quote:
That sounds like some kind of oxymoron but I think if there can be such a thing as an 'elite' 4C Lowry would be it.

Matthias has been a pleasant surprise - kudos to Chevy for that stealth signing. But he really belongs on that elite 4th line also. Lowry on the PP is ..... ..... really beyond mere words. If Wheeler can't be that big net front presence then maybe he shouldn't be on PP1 either. If Buff fails there too then maybe they need to use a different PP tactic.

Love Lowry. Love that he could move up to the 3rd line to cover injuries. But he should never be there when we are healthy.
You certainly have to consider who would be most effective as a net-front presence. And maybe there are better choices than Lowry by that gauge.

But you also have to consider who has the physicality to stand up to the rigors of battling it out in front of the net, and standing in direct fire of slap shots. Lowry is likely a top contender from that view. He doesn't tip pucks or fire rebounds quite as well as some other top players would. But he is certainly a wrecking ball that creates havoc right in the goaltender's face, which helps others score.

And then, I'd also say you probably want to consider who is more... uh... "expendable" if an injury in that position does occur. I'd hate to see Wheeler banged up too much. Lowry, as good as he has been for the Jets, isn't on Wheels' pay grade.

I'm not sure he's the best call for that position. But I see the reasoning behind it.

Puckatron 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:15 PM
JetBlue420

Lowry in my opinion has had a good season. However with that said and props to Lowry... his usage and pp minutes is yet another reason to send Maurice packing

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:21 PM
Imcanadianeh

Remember last year when lots of people complained because we didn't have a big guy in front of the net on the PP and now we have Lowry doing that and people are complaining because big Adam Lowry is on the PP.

Imcanadianeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFHockey View Post
So glad to see that the "Love for Lowry" has for the most part continued in this thread.

Like I said in the initial post, I am not a huge analytics guy but certainly see the value in them at times. To me one of the things he does so well that all the analytics in the world will never tell you is his ability to play with heart and soul. To me that is one of the things that this team lacks in spades at times. Being an "old school" hockey guy from northern Manitoba who is old enough to have watched Bobby Clarke play junior and his entire NHL career, there are very few players who captured what playing with heart and soul can do for a team better than him. No, I am not quite comparing Lowry to BC but he does not ever take a "game off" like so many of our stars have a tendency to do. Does he have off games? He sure does, but so do Crosby, McDavid, Scheif, etc. He has an old school work ethic that I love and to me if there were a few more like him on our team, we would be much better for it.

I would likely be remiss in not mentioning that I'm sure his father Dave played a big role in shaping the type of player he is, after all he played over a thousand games in the bigs with heart and soul being one of his biggest attributes. (Though I despised him as coach of the Juniors 2 yrs ago!)

End of the day, I don't have a problem with where he plays whether it's 3rd or 4th line. I just think he is a key ingredient on this team going forward and I am glad it appears the Jets coaching and Management appear to feel the same way. I would be shocked if the Jets exposed him at the XD.
Something that some people seem to miss about analytics in hockey is that everything a player brings is reflected in there somewhere. In Lowry's case all that 'heart and soul' leads to better shot metrics than he would have if he played with less of that kind of effort.

That said it is harder to measure the effect that type of 'battle' has on his teammates. To some extent it might show in 'with and without you' analysis but even there it might not be fully captured.

I would be shocked if they exposed Lowry - or Myers, Perreault, Armia. I don't know if Chevy has a good plan to deal with the XD or not. Until I see what it is I am going to assume we are going to lose a player that we absolutely should protect.

My guess is that LV takes Lowry if he is exposed. I think he is a player you want if you are building a team from scratch. The good thing for us is that Copp is a pretty good replacement when that happens.

Old
03-18-2017, 04:33 PM
Classic16

Its weird but I see lowry as a younger maroon. Soon as he gets some confidence under him hes going to be good and tough to play against.

Classic16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:33 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imcanadianeh View Post
Remember last year when lots of people complained because we didn't have a big guy in front of the net on the PP and now we have Lowry doing that and people are complaining because big Adam Lowry is on the PP.
Size really isn't that important in front of the net. Tomas Holmstrom made his living there and he was only 6'. Excellent hand-eye coordination should be the favored trait.

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:44 PM
LowLefty

He's one of my favorites.
As far as PP goes, he has hands of stone but makes a great screen - he's tough as nails and very difficult to move. I see why he getting time on the PP - you could argue he doesn't belong there based on his scoring but they have enough snipers out there that can take care of that end.
As for the other 95% of the game, that line is one our most consistent meaning they shut down very well, especially when the opposing team is trying to change / gain momentum. There's a lot of value in that and it often gets over looked as we focus on the skill / creative.
When we build a 3rd line that is developed and consistent, I can see Lowry centering the 4th - and it will be one of the best 4th lines in the league when you consider how this group can tie up a team in their own end. His face off skills are also improving - not the most graceful faceoff guy out there but rarely do you see him losing clean.
I hope they never give up on him - he's a machine out there.

LowLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:51 PM
LowLefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAA View Post
Size really isn't that important in front of the net. Tomas Holmstrom made his living there and he was only 6'. Excellent hand-eye coordination should be the favored trait.
Size does matter -
Holmstrom wasn't your typical 6' player - that guy was crazy tough in front and had really good hands - not many like him then or now.
If you don't have a guy like that, you usually go with size

Old
03-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowLefty View Post
Size does matter -
Holmstrom wasn't your typical 6' player - that guy was crazy tough in front and had really good hands - not many like him then or now.
If you don't have a guy like that, you usually go with size
I think Dano might do well in front. If not then Lemieux might - if he ever makes the Jets.

Size alone doesn't seem to be of much value.

Old
03-18-2017, 05:02 PM
ecolad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckatron 3000 View Post
You certainly have to consider who would be most effective as a net-front presence. And maybe there are better choices than Lowry by that gauge.

But you also have to consider who has the physicality to stand up to the rigors of battling it out in front of the net, and standing in direct fire of slap shots. Lowry is likely a top contender from that view. He doesn't tip pucks or fire rebounds quite as well as some other top players would. But he is certainly a wrecking ball that creates havoc right in the goaltender's face, which helps others score.

And then, I'd also say you probably want to consider who is more... uh... "expendable" if an injury in that position does occur. I'd hate to see Wheeler banged up too much. Lowry, as good as he has been for the Jets, isn't on Wheels' pay grade.

I'm not sure he's the best call for that position. But I see the reasoning behind it.
May I suggest that we really give some definition for net front presence to advance this discussion Puck?

Most think of it as providing a screen for the primary shot but it`s actually much more helpful to think in terms of winning pucks back after a primary attack and then generating a secondary attack from the premium area in front of the net. Many analysts have actually tracked the rebound scoring leaders per 60 - and it`s no surprise that Lowry doesn`t even show up on the ranking. And who are the consistent leaders - it`s players like Brendan Gallagher/Zach Parise/ Martin Hanzel/Jeff Skinner/Joe Pavelski. You`ll notice that being large bodied to resist removal from netfront is not one of the required talents but rather good positioning/quick release/good hands.

ecolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 05:19 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Something that some people seem to miss about analytics in hockey is that everything a player brings is reflected in there somewhere. In Lowry's case all that 'heart and soul' leads to better shot metrics than he would have if he played with less of that kind of effort.

That said it is harder to measure the effect that type of 'battle' has on his teammates. To some extent it might show in 'with and without you' analysis but even there it might not be fully captured.

I would be shocked if they exposed Lowry - or Myers, Perreault, Armia. I don't know if Chevy has a good plan to deal with the XD or not. Until I see what it is I am going to assume we are going to lose a player that we absolutely should protect.

My guess is that LV takes Lowry if he is exposed. I think he is a player you want if you are building a team from scratch. The good thing for us is that Copp is a pretty good replacement when that happens.
I think Copp is more offensively talented and (I haven't checked the numbers to back this up but...) I don't think he's giving up much on the defensive side to Lowry either. I think Lowry being 6'5 might cloud people's evaluations about the 2.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 05:21 PM
LowLefty

Quote:
I think Dano might do well in front. If not then Lemieux might - if he ever makes the Jets.

Size alone doesn't seem to be of much value.
I agree - but you also need a lot of strength and guts to sit in that spot.
Dano might work - but he's not much of an upgrade on skill (if at all) and he's not nearly as strong on his feet as Lowry. He's another checker in my book, without Lowry's size / presence.
Lemieux - who knows . .

Old
03-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecolad View Post
May I suggest that we really give some definition for net front presence to advance this discussion Puck?
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecolad View Post
Most think of it as providing a screen for the primary shot but it`s actually much more helpful to think in terms of winning pucks back after a primary attack and then generating a secondary attack from the premium area in front of the net. Many analysts have actually tracked the rebound scoring leaders per 60 - and it`s no surprise that Lowry doesn`t even show up on the ranking. And who are the consistent leaders - it`s players like Brendan Gallagher/Zach Parise/ Martin Hanzel/Jeff Skinner/Joe Pavelski. You`ll notice that being large bodied to resist removal from netfront is not one of the required talents but rather good positioning/quick release/good hands.
The bolded is definitely the issue at hand. What is the relative value of a 2nd attack, vs. someone who can provide a more effective screen to enhance the chances on the initial shot?

I don't claim to know, but your post relies on the assumption the 2nd attack is more valuable. If that is in any way a "known" or proven thing, I'd be happy to see the evidence. I like learning new things.

Old
03-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Absolutely!

The bolded is definitely the issue at hand. What is the relative value of a 2nd attack, vs. someone who can provide a more effective screen to enhance the chances on the initial shot?

I don't claim to know, but your post relies on the assumption the 2nd attack is more valuable. If that is in any way a "known" or proven thing, I'd be happy to see the evidence. I like learning new things.
I do that know if there's any data on "screened shots" but I know there's a tonne of data that says

1. Shots from farther out (not accounting for screen) have a very low chance of goals

2. Shots from right in the slot have a very high chance of goals

3. Shots off rebounds have (If I'm remembering correctly) the highest (or close to) likely hood of goals.

Old
03-18-2017, 06:44 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I do that know if there's any data on "screened shots" but I know there's a tonne of data that says

1. Shots from farther out (not accounting for screen) have a very low chance of goals

2. Shots from right in the slot have a very high chance of goals

3. Shots off rebounds have (If I'm remembering correctly) the highest (or close to) likely hood of goals.
Thanks Grind.

It is useful for sure to recognize those in-tight rebounds are high percentage chances. It's not like Lowry doesn't get any of those, but no doubt he's not particularly skilled at it.

But unfortunately, the bolded in your quote is exactly what we'd need to know to really assess the impact of a better screen, worse rebound player.

Old
03-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Thanks Grind.

It is useful for sure to recognize those in-tight rebounds are high percentage chances. It's not like Lowry doesn't get any of those, but no doubt he's not particularly skilled at it.

But unfortunately, the bolded in your quote is exactly what we'd need to know to really assess the impact of a better screen, worse rebound player.

Personally if you think about how many shots from far out are taken clear vs trafficked, and the aggregate is still very very low, you can probably infer that screened shots probably aren't making up a lot of ground

Would have to be examined but I'd think you'd have to go as far as departing how many screened shots on goal make it to the point of going on or being saved, and how many of of these opportunities are their realistically in a game /60

It's possible we would find that when a goalie is screened with traffic and a puck gets through their is a very high chance of a goal, BUT we find that only 9/10 trafficked shots actually make it that, resulting in the net benefit being only a 10th of what we would expect.

Essentially we might find that Lowery creates a screen that IF a shooter can get the puck through creates a 60% chance of a goal, BUT the fact that Lowery's screening in the first place reduces the shooters likely hood of getting the puck on net by 80% would significantly decrease the value of screening.

Old
03-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Personally if you think about how many shots from far out are taken clear vs trafficked, and the aggregate is still very very low, you can probably infer that screened shots probably aren't making up a lot of ground
Ok, I buy that for long distance shots. But the screen would also help with other in-close shots, which aren't coming from Lowry.

While the net-front presence is likely the person to get most in-close shots, it's not like the other 4 guys on the ice are all shooting from the blue line. Plus, a fair number of those shots are decent chance shots like cross-ice one-timers.

Look at it this way.

Good rebound guy as net front presence:
  • Better chances from guy in front of net
  • Worse chances for everyone else

Good screen guy as net front presence:
  • Worse chances from guy in front of net
  • Better chances for everyone else

Do you want to increase the chances of 1 guy, or 4 guys? A simplification, but you get the point. Maybe.

Last edited by Puckatron 3000: 03-18-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old
03-18-2017, 09:00 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Lowry is so very weird to study as a numbers guy.

Statistically speaking, he should be the type of player that most people hate but statistical types like:
He has scored 3 seasons in a row like a meh 4th line player at evens, but has legitimate value in improving expected goal differentials.

So Lowry performs like the players that are typically undervalued...

But his size and physicality might make him over valued by many.

To the PP thing, Lowry has done actually pretty decent on the PP... that said, I think a lot of it is unsustainable and won't persist.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 11:15 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowLefty View Post
I agree - but you also need a lot of strength and guts to sit in that spot.
Dano might work - but he's not much of an upgrade on skill (if at all) and he's not nearly as strong on his feet as Lowry. He's another checker in my book, without Lowry's size / presence.
Lemieux - who knows . .
Your net front guy doesn't have to sit in that spot. He can move around in the area. Dano has the good hands to get tip ins and rebounds.