HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jay/MLB regular season thread

Old
11-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
100 million dollars.

They still have money for EE.

Jays are going to flip the fans the bird.
EE has an offer on the table for 4 years @30 mill per from boston. The jays are nowhere close to that number. he is gone

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 08:16 PM
Stud Muffin

vCash: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
EE has an offer on the table for 4 years @30 mill per from boston. The jays are nowhere close to that number. he is gone
Where is this coming from? From what I've seen people say Boston has been pretty cold on EE

Stud Muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Cerebral

It sounds like the Jays are in on Fowler which I think is a great idea. He can play left field (and thus replace Saunders), hit lead off, and actually get on base which is what the team desperately needs. If Rogers would open the purse strings and sign Fowler and bring back Encarnacion, I would actually be really optimistic about this coming season:

Fowler (LF)
Donaldson (3B)
Encarnacion (1B)
Morales (DH)
Tulowitzki (SS)
Travis (2B)
Upton (RF)
Martin (C)
Pilar (CF)

Alas, that's unlikely though. I think a far more likely scenario is that the team loses Encarnacion, signs Fowler, and then brings in Pearce to "platoon" at 1B with Smoak (which doesn't even make sense as Smoak's splits don't fit for a platoon partner).

Regardless though, Fowler would bring a lot of diversity to the lineup and even if last year ends up being a career year for him, he still typically has an on-base percentage around .370 which would be a HUGE improvement for the Jays. Just imagine the RBI opportunities with a guy at the top of the order who actually gets on base.

11-18-2016, 04:26 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
they can have him for that, that would be brutal.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2016, 04:45 PM
Jet Walters

I'm down for Fowler. The Jays really need some speed and OBP at the top of the order. Edwin probably walks and that is OK with me as long as they use the extra cash to shore up the outfield and bullpen. Pearce would be adequate at 1st base and is very versatile.

Jet Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2016, 06:17 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McOkMcgoMcoil View Post
they can have him for that, that would be brutal.
I could probably live with that. The salary is high, obviously, but the term is okay.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2016, 06:56 PM
Stud Muffin

vCash: 469
Is Colabello still under contract?

Stud Muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2016, 12:36 PM
BleedingOil

For all the cecil haters, STL just gave him 4 years 30+ million

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2016, 12:44 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
Wow. I was hoping they would bring him back, but not for that kind of money. That's crazy.

BarDownBobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
Gross. He has good after the all star break, but that is a lot of money/term for someone who basically ended up just being a LOOGY.

Muscles Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2016, 01:55 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Let him go for that money. He's so inconsistent.

Old
12-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Cerebral

Ben Revere was non-tendered so he's a free agent now. He'd be a decent buy-low option to platoon with Upton in left field. My dream off-season:

Sign:

Encarnacion
Fowler
Revere

That would give us a ton of depth and more flexibility as well with some on-base guys. We could play Morales at first for the games that Eddie needs to DH or sub in Smoak and sit Morales. Unfortunately, it sounds like Encarnacion will be getting $25M a year from Houston or the Yankees and the Jays likely won't match that (although, funny enough, take the $20M they did offer, add in Smoak's contract and he's paid for). Given that, a more realistic off-season:

Sign:

Pearce
Fowler
Revere

That would mean Pearce and Smoak would platoon at first while Revere and Upton would platoon in left field.

If we don't land Encarnacion or Fowler, I'm pretty terrified about this upcoming season - we need to replace Encarnacion, Bautista, and Saunders (who admittedly struggled in the 2nd half but absolutely crushed it in the 1st half) and all we have so far is Morales (who I do think could have a big season in a smaller ballpark). I'm really scared that the team sees guys like Carrera and Smoak as regular players when in reality, both are bench guys. This is also just focusing on offence - it seems clear we're going to be cheaping out on the bullpen and praying it works out. At least our starting rotation should be strong.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Beltran signs with Astros, 1-year $16M

Hopefully that leaves them out of the running for Edwin. Heyman believes the top two suitors are the Yanks, and Blue Jays

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2016, 01:08 PM
rboomercat90

Revere is coming off a pretty lousy season in Washington. I'm not sure I'd consider him a top of the list kind of guy to be honest. When he is hitting, all you get is singles. That said, if you strike out on Fowler and can't land Bruce, Revere could be an okay fall back depth option. I just hope the plan is actually for higher end players.

Now that the CBA has been settled we should start seeing movement on free agents. Shouldn't take much longer to see what this team is going to look like. We keep hearing lots of lip service from Atkins about how much the outstanding fan support the team has means to the organization and how they feel responsible for putting a championship caliber team on the field. I hope they mean it. It looks, right now though, that they may be more interested in penny pinching.

Old
12-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Revere is coming off a pretty lousy season in Washington. I'm not sure I'd consider him a top of the list kind of guy to be honest. When he is hitting, all you get is singles. That said, if you strike out on Fowler and can't land Bruce, Revere could be an okay fall back depth option. I just hope the plan is actually for higher end players.
I would bring him in for cheap as a bench player and potential platoon mate for Upton - not as a regular starter or anything like that.

My fear is what you said though, that the Jays will get cheap and view guys like Pearce and Revere as reasonable "cheap" options. They did well getting Happ last year but you can't buy low all the time and expect to strike gold.

Old
12-03-2016, 07:12 PM
Muscles Glasses

I would pass on Revere. Pompey can probably do anything that Revere brings to the table, and I like his defense more than Revere

Old
12-03-2016, 07:17 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles Glasses View Post
I would pass on Revere. Pompey can probably do anything that Revere brings to the table, and I like his defense more than Revere
Revere had a tough year last year, but he's a much better player then Pompey.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2016, 11:53 PM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi McJenkins View Post
Revere had a tough year last year, but he's a much better player then Pompey.
Based on past performance? Sure. But, Pompey had a great year in AAA. Eventually you have to get him some major league at bats to see if you have anything with him. And I would be much more comfortable with him as the 4th OF over Revere.

Old
12-04-2016, 12:06 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 250
Quote:
Based on past performance? Sure. But, Pompey had a great year in AAA. Eventually you have to get him some major league at bats to see if you have anything with him. And I would be much more comfortable with him as the 4th OF over Revere.
That's crazy, Revere is a much better player at the MLB level. Pompey literally cannot hit in the Majors. Revere can, he just wasn't very good last year. Did you block the previous year out? He was very good for the Jays after they got him from the Phillies.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2016, 12:17 AM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi McJenkins View Post
That's crazy, Revere is a much better player at the MLB level. Pompey literally cannot hit in the Majors. Revere can, he just wasn't very good last year. Did you block the previous year out? He was very good for the Jays after they got him from the Phillies.

Lets not pretend that Revere is some sort of amazing player. He is a guy that can slap singles. He has absolutely zero power, and defensively his noodle arm negates his admittedly elite speed.

Pompey if given 200 at bats, will probably hit 230-240, get 15-20 stolen bases and provide much better defense than Revere.

Old
12-04-2016, 11:05 AM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 75
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:

Lets not pretend that Revere is some sort of amazing player. He is a guy that can slap singles. He has absolutely zero power, and defensively his noodle arm negates his admittedly elite speed.

Pompey if given 200 at bats, will probably hit 230-240, get 15-20 stolen bases and provide much better defense than Revere.
I resent my picture being used

You also have to remember in 2014 Revere lead the NL in hits and is the active leader in At Bats per Strike out with 10.1 AB per Strikeout. He is by definition the prototypical lead off batter, he gets on so the big boys can hit him in.

12-04-2016, 11:16 AM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post

You also have to remember in 2014 Revere lead the NL in hits and is the active leader in At Bats per Strike out with 10.1 AB per Strikeout. He is by definition the prototypical lead off batter, he gets on so the big boys can hit him in.
He also doesn't walk much which reduces his leadoff value. I wouldn't give Revere much more than the league min and considering he made over 6m last year I doubt he'd be interested.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2016, 12:39 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post

Let's not forget the big boys are gone now. The team likely needs players who can do a little more offensively. If the team is acquiring Revere to be an everyday player or even a platoon player with Upton then it's gonna be a crappy year. Upton and Revere are both garbage (especially Upton), this team isn't competing if one of these two are in the lineup every day.

Old
12-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Cerebral

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/805431380498903040

Morosi is saying the Jays are one of the teams looking at Mitch Moreland. If so, that really worries me - not bringing back Encarnacion is scary, but replacing him with a sub-.800 OPS player like Moreland would be a disaster. Even Moreland's best season (2015) wasn't great for a first baseman.

If we're out of the Encarnacion sweepstakes and are bargain-bin shopping, guys like Moss, Napoli, Pearce, or even Lind could be better options. In truth though, they are all huge downgrades from Encarnacion - we'd be looking at dropping over .100 OPS at 1B.

Old
12-04-2016, 02:48 PM
lakai17

Moreland isn't that bad. Legit depth for now, not like he'd be long term at age 35.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote