HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM/FLA rumor (w/ source)

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 06:21 AM
speeds

vCash: 500
EDM/FLA rumor (w/ source)

from Larry Brooks, so I'm sure some will say it's a bunk rumor, but here it is anyways:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/3779.htm

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spectors_trade_ru mours.html

the meat of it seems to be Comrie for Weiss, with Lowe wanting a D as well.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:33 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Why would FL trade one small center for a smaller one with more salary and attitude? Sure Comrie can score goals but he probably won't play within Keenan's system which is the current problem with FL now. Doesn't make sense to me and I would pass if it meant adding in one of our young d-men.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:32 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
Why would FL trade one small center for a smaller one with more salary and attitude? Sure Comrie can score goals but he probably won't play within Keenan's system which is the current problem with FL now. Doesn't make sense to me and I would pass if it meant adding in one of our young d-men.
1. He doesn't have this "attitude" that everybody talks about.
2.Comrie is only a couple years older and has already established himself as a first liner.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:18 AM
Teemu

yay, maybe this will slow the flow of identical chi/edm proposals :p

Old
10-19-2003, 09:20 AM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

Quote:
Because in their first full season:

Weiss: 77GP 6G 15A 21PTS -13
Comrie: 82GP 33G 27A 60PTS +16

Don't care if he's smaller, fits into Kennan's system (Weiss is in the doghouse too btw) bla bla bla, the fact is, Comrie puts up the points...and that IMO is good enough.
And Comrie doesn't have an attitude problem. He just can't stand the pressures of playing in Edmonton...elsewhere, he'll be fine.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:24 AM
Peter Griffin

I like this deal from both sides. Florida could use some scoring help, and Comrie would definitely bring that(Comrie would do fine under Keenan). Weiss would provide the Oilers with a young, talented centerman to take Comries' place. Don't know who the d-man would be, but I'm guessing it would be someone who isn't particularly valuable, Mathieu Biron or Kristian Kudroc perhaps.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:32 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Weiss for Comrie

Old
10-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Here's 3 other points to bring up:

1. How much does Comrie want salary-wise? FL has the 4th lowest salary in the league so I don't expect them to add salary (note that Weiss playing in the AHL saves FL money).

2. What kinda points/goals does Comrie put up against the bigger/tougher Eastern Conference? Last yr only 14 of his 51 pts were against East teams. I don't think he's suited for the East.

3. Can Comrie play defense? Weiss plays excellent defense and needs to find his scoring touch again which is why he's in the AHL. Comrie was a -18 last yr but that might be a product of Edmonton. But his faceoff winning percentage isn't that great from last yr (47%) which is a weakness for FL.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:29 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
2. What kinda points/goals does Comrie put up against the bigger/tougher Eastern Conference? Last yr only 14 of his 51 pts were against East teams. I don't think he's suited for the East.
That might be the worst point I've ever seen, obviously most of his points are against the West, because he plays most of his games against the West.

Comrie's numbers

2002-03
vs West - 48 games - 37 points - .77 ppg
vs East - 21 games - 14 points - .67 ppg

2001-02
vs West - 60 games - 42 points - .70 ppg
vs East - 22 games - 18 points - .82 ppg

2000-01
vs West - 31 games - 13 points - .43 ppg
vs East - 10 games - 8 points - .80 ppg

Totals

vs West - 139 games - 92 points - .66 ppg
vs East - 53 games - 40 points - .75 ppg

The whole East vs. West argument is a joke. If you can play the game you can play it in the east or the West. The difference between the two conferences is very minimal.

Comrie is far superior to Weiss. In the Panthers don't have money to pay him that is certainly an issues, but IMO the Comrie is a far superior player to Weiss.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:12 AM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Why would FL trade one small center for a smaller one with more salary and attitude?
Why would FLA claim Valiquette, uprotect and lose Hurme, trade for Shields and lose Valiquette on waivers?

Weiss and Dman for Comrie is fair value-wise and the Panthers organisation is not exactly run by rocket scientists anyway.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

The whole East vs. West argument is a joke. If you can play the game you can play it in the east or the West. The difference between the two conferences is very minimal.

Comrie is far superior to Weiss. In the Panthers don't have money to pay him that is certainly an issues, but IMO the Comrie is a far superior player to Weiss.
My response to the "Comrie is not worth Weiss argument": How many 30 goal seasons in the NHL has Weiss had?

Cats will be lucky if Weiss emerges as a 50 - 60 point guy in the NHL. Comre is already there.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:38 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

I'm a little skeptical of Larry's information here...

A couple of different articles last week had Lowe saying that other GMs have backed off pretty quick when they find out what he's expecting as a return for Comrie, and that so far he hasn't received any serious offers.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:45 AM
speeds

couple thoughts on that OGE:

(1) A week is a long time

(2) Brooks could simply be looking at the situation, and sees an apparant fit, makes a rumor out of it.

(3) Brooks could have better FLA sources than anyone from the EDM media.

Old
10-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
You said what now?
just a guess, but i think he meant 'lucky' instead of 'likely' and 'comrie' instead of the second 'weiss'

Old
10-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Bolthed

I'm not a fan of either team, but I am a fan of fair trade values. So here's my .02 cents ...

1. Comrie may have slightly diminished value because of his holdout, but he is still a top-line center with great skill and youth = very valuable.

2. Weiss is very young, may have been rushed into the NHL and, while talented, hasn't shown a whole helluva lot to prove he's going to approach Comrie's production anytime soon.

3. Mezei is young and has potential to be a physical defensive dman, but also has been prone to injury and hasn't proven much in limited action.

Bottom line(s) - I'm not sure Weiss and Mezei is enough to fetch the much more proven Comrie. It's also doubtful Florida can meet Comrie's salary demands without giving up more salary in return. But I'm finding it very hard to come up with a fair trade proposal value-wise simply because Florida doesn't have anything proven that they can deal. Even Weiss + any blueliner not named Bouwmeester isn't quite fair. It would require Edmonton to take completely unproven talents in return for Comrie and IMO they don't have to do that just yet.

Old
10-19-2003, 12:13 PM
Bolthed

Maybe the only way to approach a Comrie to FLA trade would be from another angle - Comrie and a low pick for Kozlov and Trnka or Lilja? Not sure the Panthers would want to lose their best wing in order to bolster a position that is already looking dandy (for the future, not necessarily the present).

My final assessment is that these teams may appear to look like dance partners, but they're not a match.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:53 PM
flyercide

It's not just Weiss & a defenseman... Lowe wants a 1st rounder as well. If I was Florida I would not trade 2004 1st round pick, but maybe 2005. Sounds like pretty fair trade, unless Mezei has played poorly this year I don't see Florida trading him in the deal. But I could see maybe Trnka, Biron, Novak, or Lilja.

"Lowe is interested in Panthers 2001 first round pick- and Mike Keenan whipping boy - Stephen Weiss, and would also prefer to have a defenceman included in the return. --Spectors"

Old
10-19-2003, 02:01 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyercide
It's not just Weiss & a defenseman... Lowe wants a 1st rounder as well. If I was Florida I would not trade 2004 1st round pick, but maybe 2005. Sounds like pretty fair trade, unless Mezei has played poorly this year I don't see Florida trading him in the deal. But I could see maybe Trnka, Biron, Novak, or Lilja.

"Lowe is interested in Panthers 2001 first round pick- and Mike Keenan whipping boy - Stephen Weiss, and would also prefer to have a defenceman included in the return. --Spectors"
(uhm- you realize that says 2001 first round pick and not 2004, right?)

Old
10-19-2003, 02:07 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
yes Florida's 2001 first round pick=Keenan's whipping boy= Stephan Weiss

Old
10-19-2003, 02:08 PM
flyercide

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie

opps. well i'd call this a steal for florida than depending on the defenseman going the other way. weiss hasn't impressed me much.

Old
10-19-2003, 03:05 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed
I'm not a fan of either team, but I am a fan of fair trade values. So here's my .02 cents ...

1. Comrie may have slightly diminished value because of his holdout, but he is still a top-line center with great skill and youth = very valuable.

2. Weiss is very young, may have been rushed into the NHL and, while talented, hasn't shown a whole helluva lot to prove he's going to approach Comrie's production anytime soon.

3. Mezei is young and has potential to be a physical defensive dman, but also has been prone to injury and hasn't proven much in limited action.

Bottom line(s) - I'm not sure Weiss and Mezei is enough to fetch the much more proven Comrie. It's also doubtful Florida can meet Comrie's salary demands without giving up more salary in return. But I'm finding it very hard to come up with a fair trade proposal value-wise simply because Florida doesn't have anything proven that they can deal. Even Weiss + any blueliner not named Bouwmeester isn't quite fair. It would require Edmonton to take completely unproven talents in return for Comrie and IMO they don't have to do that just yet.
I for one would be quite happy with Weiss and Mezei for Comrie, I think it is a sufficient return for him. I think Lowe would be pretty interested in Hagman(I think he is a good checking winger who can be a 15-20 goal scorer given proper line-mates) as well maybe replace Weiss with him and a 3rd+4th pick(maybe not a 4th?).

P.S. Milbury u missed the "i" in Comrie when u spelt it the second time can't even edit properly .

Old
10-19-2003, 03:12 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
just a guess, but i think he meant 'lucky' instead of 'likely' and 'comrie' instead of the second 'weiss'

Great translation!

Old
10-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Weiss is junk, this would probably be a great deal for Florida. Last time I did a 2001 mock re-draft I had Weiss at #12 and right now I'm not sure I would even have him in the top 15. Also, why do people insist that every player Florida picks up "fits into Keenan's system"? For one thing, Keenan will probably be long gone once Florida's team is ready to make another move forwards. For another, the difference between great coaches like Bowman and overrated bums like Keenan is that the great ones can pick up any player and find a midway point that fits the player into their system while allowing the player to be comfortable playing in that system, while others would rather have some mucker over a skilled player because they don't have to do any work to fit him in to the team.

Old
10-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Maybe the only way to approach a Comrie to FLA trade would be from another angle - Comrie and a low pick for Kozlov and Trnka or Lilja? Not sure the Panthers would want to lose their best wing in order to bolster a position that is already looking dandy (for the future, not necessarily the present).

My final assessment is that these teams may appear to look like dance partners, but they're not a match.
Now this is something I would consider a little more. My question is would Comrie play on the wing?? He's not going to usurp Keenan's boy (Jokinen) at center and he's top line talent so you have to play him there (in the future, Horton should be the top line center moving Olli to LW). While I'm a fan of Kozlov, I'd be more willing to move him than Weiss, who I feel hasn't been given enough time to prove himself one way or the other. Kozlov's salary would probably offset that of Comrie and if FL had to throw in a quality d-man I would rather Trnka but its doubtful because of his salary. So, Kozlov, Lilja and maybe a 4th for Comrie & a 3rd might work for FL (or maybe the opposite on the picks, i dunno exactly).

I agree that it looks like its good on paper but maybe not in reality.

Old
10-19-2003, 04:25 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Weiss and Krajicek would DEFINETELY work.

Closed Thread