HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Score seems to think what we've been thinking for a while

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
The Score seems to think what we've been thinking for a while

http://forecaster.ca/thescore/hockey...?captains-2006

Old
01-22-2006, 08:41 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
The BJ announcers last night were talking about Adam Hall as wearing the C in the future. I have to say of late I prefer his steady presence to Hartnell dumb penalties. Captains shouldn't take dumb penalties night after night.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:29 AM
handtrick

I don't think either Adam Hall or Hartnell get the "C" right away. I think it will first go to Sully, then maybe one of those two, or even Suter if sully has it for 3 years.....but it won't be Hartnell if the bonehead penalties don't stop, that is for sure.

Old
01-22-2006, 11:52 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
I don't think either Adam Hall or Hartnell get the "C" right away. I think it will first go to Sully, then maybe one of those two, or even Suter if sully has it for 3 years.....but it won't be Hartnell if the bonehead penalties don't stop, that is for sure.
I agree; I could also see it going to Hamhuis. Actually, Poile has drafted quite a few young guys with good leadership qualities.

Old
01-22-2006, 12:10 PM
vopatsrash

In the spokesperson for the team category, I could also see upshall being captain material (down the line...not the next captain). I've been impressed with him in some interviews. I can see him being a walker type presence from the standpoint that he's not necessarily going to be a cliche machine and won't be afraid to call out the team or be the bad cop to deflect attention. It will obviously depend on how his teammates feel about him and somewhat on his on-ice role.

I think the next captain will be walker if they go with a veteran or hartnell/hall if they want a young person. If they wanted to continue with the veteran good cop/bad cop deal with walker as the A, i guess they could go with timonen, but that would surprise me.

On the surface i would be surprised if they went hartnell next, but I could also see them picking hartnell from the "maybe it will make him focus better and mature quicker if he's given the captain's responsibilities" angle.

Old
01-22-2006, 01:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

you guys sure soured on hartnell quick. he's 23. i'm not worried about the penalties being a career-long thing.

Old
01-22-2006, 02:56 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
you guys sure soured on hartnell quick. he's 23. i'm not worried about the penalties being a career-long thing.
I have never been on the Captain Hartnell bandwagon.....give him 2-3 years, and I could certainly change my tune.

Old
01-22-2006, 03:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
I have never been on the Captain Hartnell bandwagon.....give him 2-3 years, and I could certainly change my tune.

To me, Hartnell personifies what I want from a captain. An emotional player that wears his heart on his sleeve. I SEE him talking on the ice, on the bench...keeping the team's head where it needs to be. I don't see that from Johnson, who has always seemed far too passive to be captain, in my opinion.

Old
01-22-2006, 03:22 PM
handtrick

Quote:
To me, Hartnell personifies what I want from a captain. An emotional player that wears his heart on his sleeve. I SEE him talking on the ice, on the bench...keeping the team's head where it needs to be. I don't see that from Johnson, who has always seemed far too passive to be captain, in my opinion.
Don't get me wrong, I hate Johnson's passivity, but sometimes the "on ice" captain needs to be less emotional and more articulate when talking to the officials.
Walker [and Sully for that matter], get a little emotional on the ice at times for the desired results from an official's interaction point of view.

The perfect captain, to me....leads by example at all times and has the player's, coaches,' and officials' respect at all times. They don't HAVE to yell at their teamates to be effective....just a look, stare, or simple shake of the head may be all they need to be effective and get the desired result...and when they talk....people just plain listen. When they get in the face of a teamate, it is always in the locker room and never in the press. They are also a good spokesman to the media.

The embodiment of my perfect captain is......Joe Sakic.

Last edited by handtrick: 01-22-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old
01-22-2006, 04:20 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

As a ref, I agree with Handtrick.

Old
01-22-2006, 06:13 PM
vopatsrash

Quote:
i think hartnell could still be a good captain and is a likely candidate at some point, but in terms of being the next captain, i don't know considering the captaincy is likely to be open by June or earlier.

If Johnson is moved mid-season, i think the conservative choice for a transition from that kind of shake-up would be Walker.

Old
01-22-2006, 06:30 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
i think hartnell could still be a good captain and is a likely candidate at some point, but in terms of being the next captain, i don't know considering the captaincy is likely to be open by June or earlier.

If Johnson is moved mid-season, i think the conservative choice for a transition from that kind of shake-up would be Walker.

ah, next captain...maybe not. I agree with most that Sullivan or Walker is likely the best choice.

Old
01-22-2006, 09:26 PM
veronesepk

Quote:

What kind of effect would moving Johnson mid-season have on Kariya (especially since Johnson somewhat talked Kariya into coming to Nashville)?

Old
01-22-2006, 09:51 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronesepk
What kind of effect would moving Johnson mid-season have on Kariya (especially since Johnson somewhat talked Kariya into coming to Nashville)?
None......Kariya's bud now seems to be Sully....they are always talking about something.....I never see Johnson and Kariya interact about anything. They never play on the same line.....Johnson never plays on the PP with Kariya.....Kariya never plays on the PK with Johnson.

Kariya knows it is business.....and I fully expect if Johnson is moved before the end of the season [which I still would be surprised if it really happens], it will be done with class by the Pred's organization and with Johnson's interests in mind.

Last edited by handtrick: 01-22-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old
01-22-2006, 09:56 PM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronesepk
well, it's a business and certainly a tough spot for poile.

i would expect kariya to not be happy, but to understand. Just like he would understand if after the season some other team doubles the Preds' offer to Johnson and he bolts.

Old
01-23-2006, 07:34 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
considering the captaincy is likely to be open by June or earlier.

I can't see us trading Johnson this season when we're already thin at center, especially experienced centers. I'm not enamoured with him, but we did re-sign him just before the season and he's certainly servicable as a two-way player. If we make a major move, I think it involves a young d-man in a package to acquire a more skilled center.

Old
01-23-2006, 08:02 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuithead
I can't see us trading Johnson this season when we're already thin at center, especially experienced centers. I'm not enamoured with him, but we did re-sign him just before the season and he's certainly servicable as a two-way player. If we make a major move, I think it involves a young d-man in a package to acquire a more skilled center.
I agree...Johnson isn't going anywhere.

Old
01-23-2006, 10:03 AM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuithead
I agree. I'd be surprised if Johnson is traded/released midseason, too. I just can't see Poile moving the captain in the middle of a successful season. I also don't see him moving Johnson if we don't acquire a top line center.

With that said, remove the captain from Greg Johnson for a minute and look at the centers purely on production, age, and contract status. Let's say you trade a defenseman (and/or, say, Erat) for a 1st/2nd line center. How would you position the centers on the ice?

1/2
Guy we trade for
Legwand
Perreault

Johnson
Fiddler
Legwand

Smithson
Nichol
Fiddler
Johnson

Considering Perreault needs to be on an offensive line and Legwand is coming back from injury, is suspect as a scorer, and a better 2 way center than johnson, you'd probably be looking at 1) new guy/yanic, erat/hartnell, kariya, 2) yanic/new guy, sully, walker, 3) legwand, hartnell/erat/upshall, hall.

Who's going to be the 4th line center between Johnson, Fiddler, Smithson, or Nichol? Imo, Johnson is not the best of those 4 right now at that particular on-ice role. He's also the oldest and least likely to be back next season and you'll surely lose 1-2 of the younger guys to waivers. Conversely, bringing the captaincy back into the mix, they could play Johnson there, keep one of the other guys as the scratch and risk the others on waivers or trade them, or move them to wing in the case of an injury.

It's a tough choice for Poile because what you gain at center you might lose in stability in the room by getting rid of your captain. But, if Johnson weren't captain and we trade for a center, would he not be one of the likely odd men out purely based on the ice?

Closed Thread