HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

GDT: January 23rd, 2006 Detroit VS. Nashville

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2006, 09:01 PM
guinness
those were the days

vCash: 500
I only saw the 3rd, but the Preds owe Vokoun a steak dinner, he looked like the only Predator to show up in the period; sloppy, sloppy play by the Preds, but the Wings just couldn't beat him.

Old
01-23-2006, 09:10 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
vokoun stole this one for the preds, no doubt about it. 40 shots by the wings to 12 by the preds. hopefully more preds players show up other than the goalie tomorrow.

Old
01-23-2006, 09:49 PM
MetalMilitia

Nashville is OVER-RATED! They don't even belong in the same league as the Wings, period.

Old
01-23-2006, 09:51 PM
interminded

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingfan33
Nashville is OVER-RATED! They don't even belong in the same league as the Wings, period.
OVERRATED ??

Yeah, they won all their games by pure luck....

Old
01-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Fugu

vCash:
They are a good young team, and only getting better. These guys will be giving us the best run for our money for the next few years.

Personally, I like have good teams in the division, keeps us sharp and it's certainly more entertaining hockey.

Very bad shot selection by the Wings on some of those, they rushed it a few times, and the Preds kept us on the perimeter as well. Yzerman seemed to be catching Larionov disease...he must be watching Dats and Larionov's sessions.

Old
01-23-2006, 10:28 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
We played them pretty well even up, but that one goal advantage out of the gate cost us.

I was coming home from GR when the game was on and heard it on the radio, but when I got home I checked the TiVo, and sure enough, it WAS Pasha that shot it in, so well done, my dear, and it's 20 goals for our lone Russian. That puts him 10 points away from career highs in points and goals...not a problem getting that barrier shattered.

Here's hoping tomorrow night is more to our liking...

Old
01-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
vokoun stole this one for the preds, no doubt about it. 40 shots by the wings to 12 by the preds. hopefully more preds players show up other than the goalie tomorrow.
40 shots, a lot of quality scoring chances, but not a lot of quality shots. Aebischer kept the Avs in the game the other night, but I don't think Vokoun really had to do anything near as spectacular.

Old
01-23-2006, 11:19 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
40 shots, a lot of quality scoring chances, but not a lot of quality shots. Aebischer kept the Avs in the game the other night, but I don't think Vokoun really had to do anything near as spectacular.
Agreed. Vokoun was ok but the Wings did a terrible job of creating traffic in front of him. We took 40 shots but he could see them all. And our vaunted PP really let us down. Yeah, we got 2 PP goals, but we had something like 10 chances including a pair of 5 on 3s (though one was brief). That's ultimately what cost us the game.

This game reminded me of how we lost 4 in a row to the Ducks a few seasons ago... Must crash the net tomorrow.

Old
01-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Higgy4

I think it was a good effort by the Wings. Sure, they could have done a little more to create some traffic in front of Vokoun on a few shots. But they COMPELETLY controlled the tempo of this game. Just one of those games where they needed one more break to get a point. Reminded me alot of the Carolina game that the Wings basically dominated and couldnt tie it up late.

If they do the same thing tomorrow and get some guys in front of Vokoun they should come out a winner.

Good effort against a good team. Thats all you can ask for.

Old
01-24-2006, 02:08 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

We lost to Vokoun, that sucks!

There goaltender was great for them in net. To bad we couldn’t tie it up late. I was happy to see that Nashville only got 14 shot on goal, it means that we controlled the game.

I hope that we can win the game tomorrow

Old
01-24-2006, 06:19 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
If not for the 1-0 start I think the Wings win this one, no question. Nashville really had nothing going for most of the game and Vokoun saved their butts. Good game, great effort, but they just couldn't get it done 5 on 5.

Stevie looks like he's getting better and better. Great sign. He's jumping around, getting smacked around and bouncing back up. Hopefully he keeps getting better, the last time he started playing like this he had another setback and tweaked the ol groin again.

Draper really has converted back to the Draper of old. The transformation is complete. Anyone who doesn't believe me didn't see him flying down the left wing and blowing a huge slapper straight at the big ugly Pred logo on Vokoun's chest, or the empty net he missed later on. He's doing his job on the PK but he is completely useless again at generating offense. Hopefully, like the Draper of old, he will put up no points all year and then score a few timely ones in the playoffs.

Blech. Gotta get them tonight. Can't give them an 8 point swing on our ice.

Old
01-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro

Draper really has converted back to the Draper of old. The transformation is complete. Anyone who doesn't believe me didn't see him flying down the left wing and blowing a huge slapper straight at the big ugly Pred logo on Vokoun's chest, or the empty net he missed later on. He's doing his job on the PK but he is completely useless again at generating offense. Hopefully, like the Draper of old, he will put up no points all year and then score a few timely ones in the playoffs.

Blech. Gotta get them tonight. Can't give them an 8 point swing on our ice.
I think Drapes played a great game. I dont care if he scores. He had some terrific PK time out there. Malts and Drapes looked great. In fact, some on the Preds board are saying that Draper is the MVP of the Wings team simply for his PK work. I dont agree with that at all, but the Preds fans are saying Draper was the best Wings forward tonight.

Funny how people see the same things, and yet see completely different things.

Old
01-24-2006, 07:49 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I think Drapes played a great game. I dont care if he scores. He had some terrific PK time out there. Malts and Drapes looked great. In fact, some on the Preds board are saying that Draper is the MVP of the Wings team simply for his PK work. I dont agree with that at all, but the Preds fans are saying Draper was the best Wings forward tonight.

Funny how people see the same things, and yet see completely different things.
That fits with what I said. I said that Draper has gone back to being a very effective PKer and completely inept offensively. I'm not knocking his PK work, I'm saying that whatever scoring bug he caught in 03-04, he's clearly gotten over it because you see the exact same thing you saw pre-03 - he's getting breakaways and quality chances and is either blowing them wide or shooting them right at the goalie's chest.

Old
01-24-2006, 07:50 AM
Shoalzie

Considering the Preds got that quick 2-0, I thought the Wings dominated that game. Anytime they outshoot a team like they did last night, they usually win unless the other goalie is on his game. Vokoun was very good and he's going to be the main reason they can make a run in the playoffs. Offensively, they're better than last season and they're a better skating team. I still think the Wings are the better overall team but the Predators picked up two important points. It would be nice to get a split in this two game set.

Old
01-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Fugu

vCash:
That game was pretty weird. We give up 2 goals on 14 shots, and we get 2 goals on 40+ shots. That said, I did not think either goalie had to stand on their head last night. Vokoun was solid, but I did not see anything like the stuff Aebi had to pull when we played the Aves.

We were forced to shoot from the perimeter a lot, and someone here said earlier that we do better against teams that don't play us real tight around the net. Trotz seems to know that. So we had a lot of shots, but not a ton of excellent opportunities. Both goals game on the PP too.

As for Manny & Ozzie (and Cujo before), I think when the Wings are dominating the play in the other end, our guys fall asleep. All of them have given up a few on the long outlet pass that catches our D in too deep. We've been better at cutting that lane out recently, but Sullivan's goal was the perfect example of us not doing it last night. Getting Kronwall back will be great to bolster the D up a bit because they do that when they get tired. I won't mention what it would be like to have Fisch back too....

Old
01-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Goldark

I'm not disappointed with the way we played. Even though we didn't get a ton of quality chances, we controlled the game and dominated the pace and flow. Over an 82-game schedule, games like this will happen.

Closed Thread