HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring back the Smythe Division!

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2006, 12:56 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

vCash: 500
Bring back the Smythe Division!

Is there a game tonight? So much for the rivalry.....

I'm probably in the minority here, but playing the same team over and over is BORING - the reaction on all of the boards reflects that. There are virtually no posts anywhere about tonight's "tilt".

Why not play a balanced schedule against everyone, then have real divisional playoffs like in the 80s. That's where you REALLY build rivalries.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
Is there a game tonight? So much for the rivalry.....

I'm probably in the minority here, but playing the same team over and over is BORING - the reaction on all of the boards reflects that. There are virtually no posts anywhere about tonight's "tilt".

Why not play a balanced schedule against everyone, then have real divisional playoffs like in the 80s. That's where you REALLY build rivalries.
I agree with wholeheartedly with this.You can't manufacture rivalries. They just happen.

The greatest rivalry of the past decade was the Wings/Avs rivalry. They weren't in the same division, it wasn't one of the division rivalries the NHL was trying to build up. The playoffs are what cement rivaliries, just like the Wing/Avs

Old
01-23-2006, 01:03 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
and the Wings/Avs tv game this week certainly substantiated the rivalry. Great hockey.

Add me to the list of people who could care less about playing Anaheim and San Jose 58 times a year. I want to see the diversity that the NHL brings.

Of course, with that comes the loud moans over LA Kings travel...

Old
01-23-2006, 01:14 PM
T2M

There's also the problem that there are now 29 other teams rather than just 20. When you have 16 teams making the playoffs, and if you're going to the cup you've got to face two other teams within your division, THAT makes for rivalries. I think the NHL is doing the smart thing by trying to build the rivalries in the regular season seeing as how only 8 of 16 teams in the conference get the chance to build rivalries in the playoffs as compared to the 8 of 10 teams of 16 years ago. Also, I'd rather have a game that meant something in the standings (ie. Dallas, SJ) than a cross conference game that doesn't have as much riding on it, especially at this time of year.

I always care more about beating the Ducks and Sharks than I do about beaing the Panthers or Thrashers anyways. Now, as for the preseason, there's no reason why you shouldn't just have cross-conference games then.

T2M

Old
01-23-2006, 01:19 PM
guzmania

Weaker divisions also create annomolous point totals. Someone will get into the playoffs that shouldn't. With sixteen teams qualifying over an 80+ game season even one, let alone 2 mistakes are very wrong.

Gosh, I wish we were playing Cbus, St. Lou and Chicago 8 times apiece instead of the respectable teams in the Pacific.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
I always care more about beating the Ducks and Sharks than I do about beaing the Panthers or Thrashers anyways.
That's because a) they're in your division and the division leader automatically gets a top-3 seed in the playoffs, and b) they're in the same state as you and it's a matter of wanting to be the best in it. You'd feel no less hateful of them if you played them fewer than 8 times. In fact, playing them fewer times would make them more special and there would be less opportunity to brush losses off with "we'll get 'em next time."

Old
01-23-2006, 02:10 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

My vision of the way the new NHL should be:

1. Add 2 teams so that you can have 4 divisions with 8 teams

2. Bring back the traditional division names (Smythe Adams, Norris, Patrick)

3. Align the divisions geographically to minimize travel. For example, the Smythe Division could be LAK, ANA, PHO, SJ, VAN, CAL, EDM, COL

4. Each team plays teams within their division 4 times (2H, 2A) and twice (home and away) against each team in the other 3 divisions for a total of 76 games

5. Top 4 in each division qualify for the playoffs with 1vs4 and 2vs3, with the winners reseeded for home ice in the second round (this is where rivalries are built)

6. Division playoff champions are seeded based on their regular season point totals.

7. Stanley Cup Finals home ice determined by regular season points totals instead of alternating between Western and Eastern Conference

Old
01-23-2006, 04:02 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
and the Wings/Avs tv game this week certainly substantiated the rivalry. Great hockey.

Add me to the list of people who could care less about playing Anaheim and San Jose 58 times a year. I want to see the diversity that the NHL brings.

Of course, with that comes the loud moans over LA Kings travel...
DT has stated that time spent in the air this season is the same as last - so much for reducing travel.

I agree with the others - I do NOT want to see Phoenix, or San Jose, or Dallas or ANA EIGHT times a season. Six was too many. Eight is silly. It'd mean more if we'd play ANY team in our division in the playoffs - until then, this schedule blows.

- T

Closed Thread