HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers needs/Moves by the trade deadline

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2006, 04:33 PM
  #1
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,847
vCash: 500
Rangers needs/Moves by the trade deadline

What do you guys think are the biggest needs for the Rangers and what moves do you think will be made by the trade deadline? Who do you think will go? Who do you think could be brought in?

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 04:55 PM
  #2
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 500
I think that with Betts returning a few weeks before the deadline, a forward will be moved. Most likey would be Rucchin. Although I'd love to have him for the playoffs, he is an UFA and I think Betts can step into his role and at least match the defensive game. Poti is another UFA that I can't see resigning, so it would make sense to move him for at least a late pick. Rucinsky hasn't really been earning his keep and I'd prefer to move him over Rucchin, but it may draw a bad reaction from the Czech nation on the team.

I guess you are wondering what to bring in though. I'd say no one. The free agent market will have enough of what we need long term without losing any of our prospects or current players. We won't land Redden for Poti and Rucinsky, so I say hold on till the summer. Dumping the salary of unwanted vets or getting a little something for pending UFAs would be my priority.

DutchShamrock is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 04:55 PM
  #3
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,152
vCash: 500
I don't see the need for any moves. assuming there are no major injuries.

Our future is our prospects and draft choices. Don't want to give any of them up.

We showed last night, that if we play with intensity and discipline we can compete with just about anybody.

Betts coming back, and Tyutin finally showing what he can be, will only make us stronger.

klingsor is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 04:57 PM
  #4
frohli44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to frohli44 Send a message via AIM to frohli44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya
I think that with Betts returning a few weeks before the deadline, a forward will be moved. Most likey would be Rucchin. Although I'd love to have him for the playoffs, he is an UFA and I think Betts can step into his role and at least match the defensive game. Poti is another UFA that I can't see resigning, so it would make sense to move him for at least a late pick. Rucinsky hasn't really been earning his keep and I'd prefer to move him over Rucchin, but it may draw a bad reaction from the Czech nation on the team.

I guess you are wondering what to bring in though. I'd say no one. The free agent market will have enough of what we need long term without losing any of our prospects or current players. We won't land Redden for Poti and Rucinsky, so I say hold on till the summer. Dumping the salary of unwanted vets or getting a little something for pending UFAs would be my priority.
So I dont get it...you move Rucchin, im fine with that. So you have Betts step up to third line, but then who do we have to play forwards wise. And then you move Poti for a late pick? That makes zero sense, because who would we bring up? Its clear Pock isnt ready for the NHL yet, so is it really worth moving him for the late rounder?

frohli44 is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 04:58 PM
  #5
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy
What do you guys think are the biggest needs for the Rangers and what moves do you think will be made by the trade deadline? Who do you think will go? Who do you think could be brought in?
I think the Rangers will be looking for a 4-6 D-man at best,or a depth d-man at least. As it usually is Injuries will play the determining factors. Face-offs are becoming an issue, but I think we can wait for Betts.

HAPPY HOUR is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 05:01 PM
  #6
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,847
vCash: 500
Id love for the Rangers to try to land Barret Jackman from the Blues, but the asking price would be way too high and probably not worth it in the long run. I'd also like to see Weekes go but we have noone that can step up to the backup goalie position. Probably right now the best move for the Rangers would be to make no move at all.

Maybe Poti, Weekes and an early draft pick for Jackman
...Ya right i gotta stop dreamin haha


Last edited by UAGoalieGuy: 01-23-2006 at 05:10 PM.
UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 05:04 PM
  #7
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frohli44
So I dont get it...you move Rucchin, im fine with that. So you have Betts step up to third line, but then who do we have to play forwards wise. And then you move Poti for a late pick? That makes zero sense, because who would we bring up? Its clear Pock isnt ready for the NHL yet, so is it really worth moving him for the late rounder?
Ok, say you keep Rucchin and insert Betts when he's healthy. Who do you want to bench. Hollweg? Ortmeyer? Ward? Not to mention that Hossa is earning ice time and Orr can't even get a sniff at the starting lineup. I think this year you look long term and that means you move the guy that is an UFA at a position we are deep in...namely a checking line forward. I don't think there is a problem with anyone stepping in.

I disagree with your assessment of Pock. I'm not writing him off after 3 games. I think he needs a little time to fit in and settle down in the NHL. People were writing off Tyutin no more than 4 weeks ago. Now he's our best blueliner. Patients is a must with young D-men. I'm just not willing to get nothing for Poti after paying this guy for 4 years and giving up York to have the priviledge of his services. A solution to both of your points is move one of our extra forwards for a #5 or 6 defenseman.

DutchShamrock is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 05:07 PM
  #8
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
I would really like to see them pick up a solid Dman like Gauthier or Salei, because although Strudwick has done a great job, he can't be counted on for too much as we've seen the past few games. When he gets up over the 15-16 minute mark, I really think we're asking too much from him. In my perfect scenario, we have him dressed as a forward who can slip back to d when we have an ejection or an injury.
I don't know if I'd dress him ahead of any of our forwards right now though.

SML is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 05:17 PM
  #9
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,847
vCash: 500
Pock is nasty and most def. will be a regular in the Rangers opening game lineup next season. As for this season, he hasn't really gotten a chance to prove himself and could be ready to play right now if needed due to injury of one of our current rostered d-men

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 05:50 PM
  #10
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,896
vCash: 500
Has Edge or anyone else with connections heard something similar to S O T I?

nyranger61494 is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 06:51 PM
  #11
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
The first move they make...

will be to activate Betts. What happens after that is anybody's guess. Rucchin seems like a likely candidate, but do the Rangers really want Straka to be a centerman? Would this team be stronger dealing Rucinsky (again) and keeping Rucchin to center a second line, Nylander the top line, and Betts and Moore on the third and fourth line, thus moving Straka back to wing and Sykora down to play with Prucha again. It could get complicated if Sykora comes down from his high and Rucinsky returns back to earlier form. Then perhaps Rucchin moves. But I almost think that Rucchin stays and that at worst, Hollweg sits with either Rucchin or Betts centering the fourth line that moves Moore to wing. Lots of things to consider.

On defense, I'd like to see a replacement for Rozsival, but it ain't happening. I'd upgrade Malik, but that ain't happening. So, realistically a more mobile defenseman comes in for Strudwick. Heck, I'm not a Pock fan, but he looked pretty good in his only game - I wouldn't mind seeing him for another game or two.

I don't think much major will happen, nor do I think anything major should.

Fletch is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 06:54 PM
  #12
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
I'd love to see Roszival, or Rucinsky the way he's played of late, or Nieminen, or Rucchin leave. Our biggest needs I believe is a big, tough defenseman and a solid tough forward...I think the only thing were missing at this point is some physicality and toughness, can't be too hard to go get some

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 08:34 PM
  #13
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
I think the forwards are okay, I think they have their starting goalie, I'd say maybe the only real need might be a stay at home defenseman.

However it depends on the deal.

Most likely Rucchin gets moved or becomes a depth player, but I wouldn't mind the team getting a quiet stay at home type.

Edge is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 09:13 PM
  #14
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,146
vCash: 500
I dont understand why they must move Poti. He has been one of there best defenseman and is not showing any signs of slowing down. Plus you only think he's worth a late round pick? C'mon he's worth more than that. I think Poti is a key part of this team and will continue to be down the stretch.

RGY is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:02 PM
  #15
bobbop
Henrik & Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 5,044
vCash: 500
I don't think the Rangers screw up the chemistry of the team. If someone leaves it's a marginal player like Hossa or Orr. I could see another deal similar to Max for Sykora -- a marginal prospect for an end of contract Vet.

bobbop is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:09 PM
  #16
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
I don't think the Rangers screw up the chemistry of the team. If someone leaves it's a marginal player like Hossa or Orr. I could see another deal similar to Max for Sykora -- a marginal prospect for an end of contract Vet.
I don't get this, a number of us are barganining for Orr to get in the lineup and play regularly and you want him to be traded? Please man...he's our only legit "tough guy" and fighter who will protect the others. I mean, even if your not gonna play him, at least when you really need him, you can put him in the lineup. He's not the type of player you trade.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:24 PM
  #17
bobbop
Henrik & Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 5,044
vCash: 500
Orr is a piece of furniture. That's why he isn't playing now.

bobbop is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:25 PM
  #18
Block More Shots
Registered User
 
Block More Shots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
If Tom Poti keeps up his play and actually keeps improving his work ethic, play, and attitude, couldn't you see management resigning him? It's obvious that Poti is starting to come into his own now and I'm sure he's enjoying playing under Renney. Earlier on in the season with the constant benchings I could possibly understand him wanting to leave but there's no reason for him to go now.

I've never seen Poti perform with such patience on the ice. You can see in the last 30 or more games that he's doing nearly everything right. Even a simple pass behind the net or clearing attempt is easy for Poti and sometimes it's the basics that a player who's struggling with confidence and his play needs in order to improve. I'm sure Renney broke the game down and made it a lot simpler for Tom in order for him to contribute. There's no reason to give up on him unless he takes a huge nose-dive and starts performing badly.

Block More Shots is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:28 PM
  #19
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
I can't believe Colton Orr has worked his way into another thread here.

Forget about him as a player, the guy isn't even one of the best fighters I've ever seen.

This is like becoming a Where's Waldo book, every thread I find Colton Orr in the most obscure places.

Edge is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:30 PM
  #20
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,796
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
I don't get this, a number of us are barganining for Orr to get in the lineup and play regularly and you want him to be traded? Please man...he's our only legit "tough guy" and fighter who will protect the others. I mean, even if your not gonna play him, at least when you really need him, you can put him in the lineup. He's not the type of player you trade.
A number of us are bargaining for Orr to get in the lineup? Come on man, take off those foggy glasses. It's basically just you who is clogging the boards with 20 posts a day about Orr. Are you his brother or a relative? The way you come off about him, it certainly seems that way. I admire your passion for the team and the game but it's getting quite ridiculous now. The kid has played in what, 2 games with the Rangers thus far and has sat in the pressbox for the last 15...what do you think that says about him? He adds nothing to this team that we presently need. If he did, he'd be in the lineup. Fighting and physicality is OVERRATED. This isn't 1999. Give it up already, please. Do us all a favor.

Draft Guru is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:56 PM
  #21
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,375
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
I don't get this, a number of us are barganining for Orr to get in the lineup and play regularly and you want him to be traded? Please man...he's our only legit "tough guy" and fighter who will protect the others. I mean, even if your not gonna play him, at least when you really need him, you can put him in the lineup. He's not the type of player you trade.
LOL dude give it up with Orr already! He's not the type of player you trade? He's a goon! There is a reason he is not in the lineup, and that is that he is a liability on the ice. There are a ton of guys we could bring in to play the goon role.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 10:57 PM
  #22
Block More Shots
Registered User
 
Block More Shots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
A number of us are bargaining for Orr to get in the lineup? Come on man, take off those foggy glasses. It's basically just you who is clogging the boards with 20 posts a day about Orr. Are you his brother or a relative? The way you come off about him, it certainly seems that way. I admire your passion for the team and the game but it's getting quite ridiculous now. The kid has played in what, 2 games with the Rangers thus far and has sat in the pressbox for the last 15...what do you think that says about him? He adds nothing to this team that we presently need. If he did, he'd be in the lineup. Fighting and physicality is OVERRATED. This isn't 1999. Give it up already, please. Do us all a favor.
I agree...Orr shouldn't be a regular every-day player. I don't mind if he's plugged in once every 15 games due to an injury or to rest someone but in no way should he be playing every game. I like his grit but Hollweg brings that same grit AND he's a better all-around hockey player. If Renney had to choose between Hollweg and Orr, the obvious choice would be Hollweg. If Orr is as valuable as some people say he is, why wasn't he in the Devils game? Hollweg was chosen and he did his job well. He got in a fight (possibly one of the most one-sided fights I've seen though) and stepped up to Janssen who's a big kid. I just don't see Orr being able to make a name for himself in this lineup. Orr supporters can't even bring the fact that his icetime was so low because remember Hollweg at the beginning of the season? His icetime was only a few minutes and he turned a lot of heads. He did what he had to do with the icetime he was given and look at him now...he's just about an NHL regular.

Block More Shots is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 11:03 PM
  #23
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LundmarkFan
I agree...Orr shouldn't be a regular every-day player. I don't mind if he's plugged in once every 15 games due to an injury or to rest someone but in no way should he be playing every game. I like his grit but Hollweg brings that same grit AND he's a better all-around hockey player. If Renney had to choose between Hollweg and Orr, the obvious choice would be Hollweg. If Orr is as valuable as some people say he is, why wasn't he in the Devils game? Hollweg was chosen and he did his job well. He got in a fight (possibly one of the most one-sided fights I've seen though) and stepped up to Janssen who's a big kid. I just don't see Orr being able to make a name for himself in this lineup. Orr supporters can't even bring the fact that his icetime was so low because remember Hollweg at the beginning of the season? His icetime was only a few minutes and he turned a lot of heads. He did what he had to do with the icetime he was given and look at him now...he's just about an NHL regular.

And even with Hollweg and Janssen they did something at the junior levels, with Janssen not necessarily a ton of scoring, but something.

Orr just has never done that on ANY level.

Edge is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 11:13 PM
  #24
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
And even with Hollweg and Janssen they did something at the junior levels, with Janssen not necessarily a ton of scoring, but something.

Orr just has never done that on ANY level.
In your opinion would orr pass throught waivers? I think he would and if he didn"t oh well. Guys like Downey and Cairns are not hard to find/get. Orr doesn't bring anything to this team on the ice(i have no idea if he brings anything to the dressing room other than donuts and a shinebox) Goons don't fight/play in the playoffs and the Rangers could use his roster spot to bring up a forward in Hartford that can play over the likes of Rucchin or Ruchisky. (immonen or dawes?) Colton Orr should be in the ECHL not taking a roster spot away from anybody. Honestly if the Rangers didn't want to bring up Immonen or Dawes fine than what about 4A players like Giroux Wiseman or even Weller?

The people that complain about team toughness haven't been watching the Rangers this season. You don't need a goon anymore maybe it will change and i guess it sucks a tiny bit but oh well things change. The Rangers aren't going up againts the 76 flyers on a nightly basis.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
01-23-2006, 11:20 PM
  #25
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Boston would probably reclaim Orr IMO.

I think fighting has a place in NHL, but it requires more than just throwing a punch.

I think it says something that one of the greatest fighters in NHL history (Probert) was also a pretty dang good player as well.

Edge is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.