HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

if USA meets Sweden in Olympics...

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2006, 11:55 AM
VFHC

vCash: 500
Apparently there is no if - Sweden plays USA in the preliminary round, breakfast time for you...5 PM European time it's 11 AM EST

OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES

Preliminary Round

Day Date Time Game
Sunday Feb. 19 17.00 USA - SWE

http://www.iihf.com/hockey/olympic/schedule_m06.htm

Old
01-24-2006, 12:27 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
several of the USA guys were off to the pros - I believe a couple had already been drafted. It's weird, but Kariya and Forsberg were what, 18 year old kids who hadn't yet stepped onto the NHL ice just yet? That was one exciting Olympics though - now I know why you became a fan. And how else would a guy like Corey Hirsch play on such an international stage?
Well back then I didn't know anything about the game -- all I knew was Corey Hirsch, Forsberg, Kariya, and Garth Snow ... I wished there would be NHLers playing one day and IMO 98 Nagano was one of the best hockey tournaments I have ever seen.

Old
01-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Edge

Quote:
Edge - it's also a bit different than they come here, play some hockey and go home. They're here from September until April/May/June, soemtimes earlier, sometimes later. Think of it as a job, then a three month break - which they choose to spend wherever. I know many go 'home', but I don't know if I can really consider a place at which I spend only a few months a year 'home'.
I doubt they'd feel the same, none of them consider the U.S. and the good majority can't wait to go back. But I also think to some extent that's a cultural thing. As a whole I never felt the U.S. particularly treats its own history and heritage with respect.

Now we're not really very far apart on the issue Fletch. I also don't want my Ranger players being put through the boards, but i don't particularly see how that stops me from rooting for the U.S.

So I'll be rooting for my country but secondary I will hope our players have a good tournament, but the latter doesn't come before the former.

Old
01-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Edge

You know first it was the Rangers then team USA, could it be that we don't really want to admit just how many steps Leetch has lost?

Chelios is an old man but could it be he maybe brings an element to the table Leetch doesn't for their team?

I love Leetch, but between the obsession with reacquiring him, the feedback from the Toronto deal and now the USA business, could it be that we're maybe looking at Leetch with a little bit too dark a shade of tinting glasses?

Old
01-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Fletch

I wouldn't say it stops you...

or should, as I wouldn't tell anybody how to root. Me, if I can't go all-out and root, it's hard for me to say that it's something I fully support. I'm guessing that you would've rooted for the 1980 team with more passion than this year's team - because you, like me, had little, or likely no, allegiance to any other country or any one of its players, and just wanted to see the U.S. go out there and win, just like subsequent years. In the end, I'll find it hard to root against the U.S., and I won't root 'against' them. But I can't stand behind them like I would the Rangers (like someone hoping for the U.S. to beat Sweden for the gold by a score of 1-0 - I can't watch a game rooting for another goalie, but hoping he still lost, but by only a small margin, and still say I'm rooting hard - others can, and I won't criticize that, this is just me).

Old
01-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Edge

Quote:
or should, as I wouldn't tell anybody how to root. Me, if I can't go all-out and root, it's hard for me to say that it's something I fully support. I'm guessing that you would've rooted for the 1980 team with more passion than this year's team - because you, like me, had little, or likely no, allegiance to any other country or any one of its players, and just wanted to see the U.S. go out there and win, just like subsequent years. In the end, I'll find it hard to root against the U.S., and I won't root 'against' them. But I can't stand behind them like I would the Rangers (like someone hoping for the U.S. to beat Sweden for the gold by a score of 1-0 - I can't watch a game rooting for another goalie, but hoping he still lost, but by only a small margin, and still say I'm rooting hard - others can, and I won't criticize that, this is just me).

I think there's a big difference between the level of passion one roots with vs. rooting for another country altogether. I also think this part of the funny aspect of sports in that the fans care 10 times more than the players. They take things far more personal and subconsciously want to feel like that player loves them as much as they love the player. In my experience it's very rarely ever that and the players would never root for a teammate over their home country. But fans do and i always found it to be rather silly. Lundqvist or Jagr doesn't care that you root for them and they'll do what they have to (albeit with hesitation) to honor their country. When those guys are out there on the ice they're thinking about their home country, not the NY Rangers. But the fans can't do that.

I just find it amusing that the players are there to honor their team and that's their priority but here in the state's we ourselves can't take that stance. I notice most of all that the general response seems to be coming from a younger crowd (regardless of what they "claim" their age to be on here). It's kind of disheartening. I can understand hoping for a good tournament for a player but to root against your country, that's just sad to me.

Old
01-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Fletch

Good post Edge...

I don't disagree, I'm just indifferent. I'm not going to 'hope' the US team loses, but I can't root them on the same as I would a speed skater, a bobsledder, or even Michell Kwan. It'll be more for the entertainment value, perhaps in protest that I think guys like Ryan Callahan, Robbie Schremp and Kessel should be playing, not the guys who will be playing. Of course, I'm talking a big game now because I'm still focused on the Rangers, come time when the USA hockey team plays, I may change my tune (although it is kind of disappointing that this tournament is made up of the best players in the world from each country and some players have chosen not to represent his country).

Old
01-24-2006, 05:19 PM
DutchShamrock

I'll say for the record that I rooted against the last USA Olympic Basketball team and took great amusement in their defeat. I'll bet that some of the guys here who are getting mad about the non supporters probably did the same as me two years ago. I'd like to hear how anyone can justify that discrepency...

Old
01-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya
I'll say for the record that I rooted against the last USA Olympic Basketball team and took great amusement in their defeat. I'll bet that some of the guys here who are getting mad about the non supporters probably did the same as me two years ago. I'd like to hear how anyone can justify that discrepency...
I can officially say I didn't give a flying, er, hoot about USA Olympic Basketball, but neither did I root for any team that was against them.

Old
01-24-2006, 05:57 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
Team USA is awful this year and I honestly couldn't care less about them. I won't cheer for them at all this year.
The goaltending is what is killing Team USA. DiPietro sucks, Ghrame is inconsistant and Esche is not getting much ice time in Philly because Nittamaki is playing well.

Im going to cheer for Team USA but I think they will exit early because of poor goaltending. If they do then Ill just cheer for the Rangers on Czech/Sweden to play well.

Old
01-25-2006, 05:24 PM
TUQ

Hmm

As a Czech I canīt understand those of you Americans who are rooting for other country national team instead of your own. For me it is nice to read, that half of New York Rangers board members are going to root for Jagr, Straka, Prucha etc. but come on guys, it is your National team, they are representing YOUR country .

I just canīt imagine myself to be rooting against my national team because half of my townīs hockey team consists of Americans, weird idea.

Old
01-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ
As a Czech I canīt understand those of you Americans who are rooting for other country national team instead of your own. For me it is nice to read, that half of New York Rangers board members are going to root for Jagr, Straka, Prucha etc. but come on guys, it is your National team, they are representing YOUR country .

I just canīt imagine myself to be rooting against my national team because half of my townīs hockey team consists of Americans, weird idea.
I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.

Not saying people need to scream at the top of their lungs for the team or can't be pulling for Rangers to do well, but to root for another country over the U.S. I dunno

Old
01-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I'd only root real hard for amateurs cause in all honesty most of the 'pros' who play U.S. Olympic team sports don't look hungry and proud to be representing their country, they just look like guys enjoying a free vacation. Maybe the 1980 team spoiled me forever.

Old
01-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.

Not saying people need to scream at the top of their lungs for the team or can't be pulling for Rangers to do well, but to root for another country over the U.S. I dunno
several reasons, for me personally at least

(1) The olympics are such a joke anyway now, that i would barely have much passion for them even if US had a good team.

(2) After being able to visit CR a few times, and falling in love with the place, im a fan of theirs, even beyond the fact that the have lots of rangers now. I wear a Sparta Praha jersey most every time i can when i play hockey (and not on my team).

(3) It has become embarrassingto be American as of late (and i just recently got back from living overseas, so i know what im talking about).

Old
01-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
several reasons, for me personally at least

(1) The olympics are such a joke anyway now, that i would barely have much passion for them even if US had a good team.

(2) After being able to visit CR a few times, and falling in love with the place, im a fan of theirs, even beyond the fact that the have lots of rangers now. I wear a Sparta Praha jersey most every time i can when i play hockey (and not on my team).

(3) It has become embarrassingto be American as of late (and i just recently got back from living overseas, so i know what im talking about).
That fact that we're free to be embarassed and protest and complain is exactly while I'm not.

I've found the big difference between Americans and the rest of the world is that Americans (especially younger ones) tend to be self loathing. We don't realize just how good we have it.

Old
01-25-2006, 06:24 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
The problem is that a goalie is different from any position, if you root for him, you can't root for him to give up even one goal and thus you HAVE to root for his team to win. It's not the same as rooting for Jagr and hoping he scores 3 goals but loses 4-3 (though it'd be hard to be happy when he scores). So I see it this way, you either root for Lundqvist or you root for the United States. How can you root for Lundqvist and hope for a 1-0 game and be happy when he gives up the goal? The goalie is probably the most important position on the ice. And Sweden's goalie is also the Rangers goalie, so I fail to see how rooting for Sweden (because you're rooting for Lundqvist) is different from rooting for the Rangers and why rooting for the US over Sweden is such a no brainer if rooting for the Rangers over the US, is also a no brainer.
I fail to see why I can't root exactly as stated. I can root for Henke and not Sweden the same way someone in a fantasy league can root for Dany Heatley but not Ottawa. I can have a player I like and I can wish him well in a 49 save performance with one goal against because his defense man interfered or the ref made a bad call and in the end, the critics come out saying he had a flawless performance. The refs or his own team did him in. etc. And yes, in the end, my country supercedes my devotion to the player but I can hope for these unlikely situations with little expectation it would actually play out in such a "convenient for ranger fans" sort of way. I never said I would root for Sweden. You're assuming that just because I am supporting a single player? You assertion is really reaching... I could make the same assumption about you. How ridiculous would it be for me to say that rooting for the Rangers is just like rooting for the Devils because Sykora used to be in New Jersey. Rangers and Sweden have nothing to do with each other. No correlation. #1 I'm a Ranger fan. then #2 I'm a USA fan. #3 because of #1 I am a fan of Ranger players. I base my "no-brainer" decisions on that heirarchy. I think my fantasy league analogy suffices. If you don't agree then end it at that.

Old
01-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I've found the big difference between Americans and the rest of the world is that Americans (especially younger ones) tend to be self loathing. We don't realize just how good we have it.
Like i said, i lived in Italy for a while. Economy is hurting from the Euro, unemployment is at a high. The Media and politics are even tighter than they are here (sometimes the same people), and the transit unions strike on a monthly basis. All this amongst other things

However, most of them are still quite happy and have a positive view of life, arent driven by greed, and are more socially aware than most of us are.

Old
01-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
Like i said, i lived in Italy for a while. Economy is hurting from the Euro, unemployment is at a high. The Media and politics are even tighter than they are here (sometimes the same people), and the transit unions strike on a monthly basis. All this amongst other things

However, most of them are still quite happy and have a positive view of life, arent driven by greed, and are more socially aware than most of us are.
That's where we agree, Americans have such a negative view on everything and it starts with themself.

And I have too have spent many a time in Italy in my life and many other places. I could name a lot of things wrong with their country as well. The difference? They focus on the positives within their society whereas we focus on the negatives. This convo being a perfect example of that.

The only difference here is that we bash ourselves more than anyone else.

Old
01-25-2006, 07:56 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ

well put. guys it's your country! have some friggen pride for christ's sake.

Old
01-25-2006, 08:51 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011
well put. guys it's your country! have some friggen pride for christ's sake.

I'll root for Lundqvist only when he's wearing the red, white and blue. Since he will not be wearing those colors in the olympics I'll be rooting for the red, white and blue team. GO USA!!!

Closed Thread