HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

To those with knee problems...

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 07:07 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
To those with knee problems...

(and I remember there were a few) I got some questions...

found out recently that I have a complete tear of the medial meniscus and a partial tear of the lateral meniscus (terms may be wrong). Also, I have at least a partial tear of the ACL (won't know the extent to which after being scoped) and there seems to be some problems with the kneecap.

Now that I've given my life story, just wondering what some recoup time/activity was like for some who have had knees scoped with torn meniscus. I've heard varying stories, but would like to hear others.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:17 AM
robertch

recent medical studies show that it is not so much the surgery but the accompanying rehabilitation process that is most responsible for improvements. I don't know anyone (especially younger people) who has had knee surgery who doesn't claim to be unable to participate in moderate athletic activity. I'm NO EXPERT, but i think that the whole knee surgery thing is not as beneficial as it is reputed to be.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:31 AM
Fletch

Not beneficial?

I don't understand that. Currently I have some bone rubbing up against some bone, which long-term would likely result in arthritis. Further, as the meniscus continues to wear it puts stress on other joints, like the ACL, MCL and PCL, that could suffer some damage as a result. Right now I see know other option but to get the surgery done.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:10 AM
True Blue

I had knee surgery when I was a kid (football injury). My cartilege needed be shaved in 3 different places and I had a complete tear of one of my interior ligaments. Since it was one of my interior ligaments that was torn, they just deemed it better to completely do without it. My recovery time was quick. I was able to swim just several weeks latter. However, when I ran on it, I had A LOT of pain. It took me a good 6 months to be able to run w/o pain.
If you are in that much uncomfort, Fletch, get the surgery done as it will releave stress on other joints that are currently compensating for your other parts that are not working that well.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:26 AM
Fletch

It's getting done...

Nov. 11th...I've had pain in it for about 15 years and have torn it about 6 times (the last five of which I never saw the doctor). In fact, I randomly went because I was just curious to see if there was really something wrong as opposed to it being in my head. I can run fine, bike fine, but walking's a ***** and the buckling's an inconvenience.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:40 AM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
(and I remember there were a few) I got some questions...

found out recently that I have a complete tear of the medial meniscus and a partial tear of the lateral meniscus (terms may be wrong). Also, I have at least a partial tear of the ACL (won't know the extent to which after being scoped) and there seems to be some problems with the kneecap.

Now that I've given my life story, just wondering what some recoup time/activity was like for some who have had knees scoped with torn meniscus. I've heard varying stories, but would like to hear others.
Don't let my post scare you because what happened to me is real rare. I had a ACL tear that the MRI showed. The DR. went in and just cleaned up the torn Cartilage and said the ACL was fine. 4 weeks went back to work (I am a Maintaince man) Totally riped my knee. Went to A different DR. He repaired the ACL,MCL cleaned cartilage and scare tishue. And to this day 7 years later and 4 more knee clean ups(scare tishue and cartilage) It will not go straight (about 50 to 60 degrees from straight) which is destroying my back. I am supose to use a cane but at 33 I just will not agree to one's so ever. Do not mean to scare you by any means but to tell you to make sure you get one heck of a good DR. Wich in your area you are loaded with. in my area there are only three specaists in this feild and are no dought culls from bigger areas (I live in a very small area) every one around me said to get out of my area including my family DR. but if you knew me you woul soon come to realize how hard headed I am. Sorry for the long post just please pick a good DR. Look up RICHTER's DR.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:57 AM
Servo

Fletch, my surgery was different (I had a complete ACL tear with no meniscus damage), but now 2 1/2 years later I can pretty much do whatever I want without a brace or anything. (I was able to play most recreational sports for the most part about 7 or 8 months after the surgery). I still get occasional soreness in the patellar tendon area, but nothing too bad.

Like I said though, my situtation was different and I felt that I had to have the surgery because my knee repeatedly would give out when I was walking due to the missing ligament. Now it is stable.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:05 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa999
How do you know if you got ACL or MCL or whatever problem with your knees? Cause I often have some weird mild pain/discomfort in my right knee, I don't know how serious it is.
I think the only way you can know is by getting the MRI, or at the very least, going to a Doc..

If your pain is anything like mine, not constant, flares up every now and then but no rhyme or reason to it, it's likely just tendonitis, in which case, surgery can't really help..

Fletch- Wish I could give you more info, but like Ranger11 said, make sure you trust your Doc, and it might be a good idea to get a 2nd opinion..

Old
10-20-2003, 09:07 AM
Fletch

Shapa...

quick background...tore my knee in '86...knee swelled to the size larger than a grapefruit...doc said it was a meniscus tear, no surgery needed (being 17 and strong, etc.). Had a similar type of tear 5-6 times more since then, the last being 10 years ago, never going to the doctor thinking I knew it all. Since the first tear there's been discomfort. Feels like two bones rubbing on each other. Occasionally it buckles, resulting in me sometimes falling. There also feels as though there's something missing in there and there's some movement in there (doesn't seem steady). There is pain with almost every step. Strange thing is that I can go to the gym today, run 3 miles, ride the bike for 15 minutes, and squat 315 pounds 10 times. After all this, I decided to get it checked out by the doctor who initially thought it felt fine but suggested I get an MRI to be sure. And here I am.... Hope that helps a bit. Chances are, and I ain't no doctor, there may not be anything seriously wrong, but it may not hurt to get checked out. Even a little meniscus tear can lead to worse things along the way (as you see me here 17 years later).

And I hope your situation is different Servo..the MRI did reveal a partial ACL tear, but we won't know the extent to which it is torn until it's scoped (and I'll find out about the whole kneecap issue).

I understand every recovery's different and I'm going through with the surgery no matter what, but I was just trying to get a sense of what others' experience(s) were out there. Depressing that my dog won't get a walk for a while though. She's gonna kill me.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:33 AM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
quick background...tore my knee in '86...knee swelled to the size larger than a grapefruit...doc said it was a meniscus tear, no surgery needed (being 17 and strong, etc.). Had a similar type of tear 5-6 times more since then, the last being 10 years ago, never going to the doctor thinking I knew it all. Since the first tear there's been discomfort. Feels like two bones rubbing on each other. Occasionally it buckles, resulting in me sometimes falling. There also feels as though there's something missing in there and there's some movement in there (doesn't seem steady). There is pain with almost every step. Strange thing is that I can go to the gym today, run 3 miles, ride the bike for 15 minutes, and squat 315 pounds 10 times. After all this, I decided to get it checked out by the doctor who initially thought it felt fine but suggested I get an MRI to be sure. And here I am.... Hope that helps a bit. Chances are, and I ain't no doctor, there may not be anything seriously wrong, but it may not hurt to get checked out. Even a little meniscus tear can lead to worse things along the way (as you see me here 17 years later).

And I hope your situation is different Servo..the MRI did reveal a partial ACL tear, but we won't know the extent to which it is torn until it's scoped (and I'll find out about the whole kneecap issue).

I understand every recovery's different and I'm going through with the surgery no matter what, but I was just trying to get a sense of what others' experience(s) were out there. Depressing that my dog won't get a walk for a while though. She's gonna kill me.
Fletch I've blown out the ACL and torn meniscus twice. One reconstruction and two scopes. My advice to you is to get an MRI and take advantage of the fact that you live in near New York and goto one of the great doctors there. My doctor was Dr. Alchek at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. Used to do all the knee, shoulder, and elbow work for the Mets (met Al Lieter in recovery last time i was there). But seriously, if your joint is aligned right, it may not bother you too much now, but it could end up being a total joint replacement (which means you cant do anything other than walk at full recovery) a few years down the road.

Surgery would be my recomendation. Surgery by a great surgeon that is. It may be expensive but its worth it cause your getting the best service in a field that has serious potential for problems.

I had three surgeries and I'm in the best shape of life right now, best shape since senior year of high school right before lacrosse season (when I blew it out). I dont know much about aligning joints but I was back on the lacrosse field 5 months after surgery.

My last recomendation would be to ask for aggresive rehab after surgery. Ask to rehab like a pro athlete would cause that was the best advice anyone gave me. An assistant coach of mine told me to do that and it really paid off. My knee was strong in 5 months and I was ready to go. It was tough and painful but well worth it. If you want any more advice or want to ask any questions email me at pottercg@jmu.edu or if you have aim just write me (cpotts18). good luck

Old
10-20-2003, 10:43 AM
barnaby63

i completely blew out my right knee(ACL,MCL,meniscis) and it took me about 8-11 weeks before i could even walk on that leg again. although i can do some high competition sports once in awhile like hockey, when i get home i have to sit my leg in a tub of ice for 2 hours. its a *****.

overall, for me to walk and run normal again it took around 8-9 months.

Old
10-20-2003, 11:09 AM
Fletch

I know Alchek...

sort of... I know of a couple people who have used him (and I used Dr. Lyden there for my shoulder). Unfortunately they're out of my network now and I have to use someone else. Got the MRI already and am getting this all done Nov. 11.

Old
10-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Daisy

Fletch,
From what I understand (and from what I remember from college), menisci injuries/surgeries don't take very long to heal. However, the ACL repair will take longer. I'm not quite sure about a timetable though.

Old
10-21-2003, 03:32 AM
LeServ

I had a partial medial meniscus a year ago. I was back on the ice in 6 weeks. I didn't rehab at first and that was bad, but once I started to rehab (weights, treadmill, exercise bands) I instantly improved. Now a year later I find the big thing is my aging cartilage is pretty dry and the knee creaks. But I hit the weights and use the bands at home and it's pretty good. All in all I'd say meniscus is not much to get over.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:33 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
This might interest you:

http://www.emedx.com/emedx/diagnosis...nee_topics.htm

Old
10-21-2003, 06:45 PM
NJDevs430

Best of luck with the surgery and hopefully a quick recovery, Fletch!
}:-)>

Old
10-21-2003, 07:13 PM
Shadowtron

I have a knee question!

My friend and I were practicing martial arts around May. We were working on takedowns. On one of the takedowns I didn't pivot my foot, which was twisted in, while my knee and weight fell the outside. I felt a very brief, sharp pain on the outside of my left knee. Now, whenever I put my weight on it and my foot is not completely straight I got a very sharp pain. It doesn't last. As I said it is very brief and there is no lingering pain. It's just, Bam!, ouch!, gone!. It doesn't buckle on me, but I can't support my weight on it without feeling a bit of discomfort. I was lifting a file cabinet into the attic at work, and the knee was hurting. It felt as if it wanted to give out on me, but didn't. Anyone have a guess as to what I may have done to it?

Closed Thread