HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers/Habs Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 02:26 PM
RaTcine

vCash: 500
Oilers/Habs Proposal

What's up y'all!
I'm new on here, but I just thinked about something.

Comrie (+?)
vs
Koivu (+?)

Koivu said he was ready to play since last week, but still not on the ice tonight. I think that it smells transaction right here. Saku is angry because he's not playing, and Demers said there are a lot of scout in Montreal watching the club.

Whatcha think?

Old
10-20-2003, 02:28 PM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTcine
What's up y'all!

Comrie (+?)
vs
Koivu (+?)

Koivu said he was ready to play since last week, but still not on the ice tonight. I think that it smells transaction right here. Saku is angry because he's not playing, and Demers said there are a lot of scout in Montreal watching the club.

Whatcha think?
Edmonton will not take Koviu's salary. Guaranteed. He's also injury prone, and close to UFA status.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:30 PM
RaTcine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Edmonton will not take Koviu's salary. Guaranteed. He's also injury prone, and close to UFA status.
what if MTL pays a part of his salary?

Old
10-20-2003, 02:41 PM
RuthlessRobb

Send a message via AIM to RuthlessRobb
If MTL is moving Koivu its going to be for salary reasons. so the comrie mess is not something they'd be getting into

Old
10-20-2003, 02:53 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Montreal will not be moving Kov enless he asks for it and then they will still just think about it---both players are so similier that why would either team do the deal

Old
10-20-2003, 02:57 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthlessRobb
If MTL is moving Koivu its going to be for salary reasons. so the comrie mess is not something they'd be getting into
Says you.

If Montreal moves Saku Koivu sometime in the near future, it will be because the trade makes the team/organization stronger...not because they have to dump his contract.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:57 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

I think Koivu would be a great Oiler, but his salary would make it impossible... and I doubt the Habs would do it anyway.

Old
10-20-2003, 03:06 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
What's up y'all!

Comrie (+?)
vs
Koivu (+?)

Whatcha think?
koivu for comrie !!!
KOIVU IS OUR BEST FORWARD !!!
AND
OUR TEAM LEADER!!!
NEVER IN HELL!!

and plz guys... stop koivu proposal ...
koivu is a habs for life!

Old
10-20-2003, 04:22 PM
bucksoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
koivu for comrie !!!
KOIVU IS OUR BEST FORWARD !!!
AND
OUR TEAM LEADER!!!
NEVER IN HELL!!

and plz guys... stop koivu proposal ...
koivu is a habs for life!
COMRIE WAS OUR BEST FORWARD AS A ROOKIE
HE LEAD THE TEAM IN PLUS/MINUS
HE CARRIED THE TEAM ON HIS BACK
HE IS 23 YEARS OLD
NEVER IN HELL

Hab-fan's reply: But I saw the stats, he was -18 last year.

Yes, True.... it's called an injury plagued season. You should know all about those, just look up Koivu in hockeydb.com and count the number of 80 game seasons.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:56 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksoil
COMRIE WAS OUR BEST FORWARD AS A ROOKIE
HE LEAD THE TEAM IN PLUS/MINUS
HE CARRIED THE TEAM ON HIS BACK
HE IS 23 YEARS OLD
NEVER IN HELL

Hab-fan's reply: But I saw the stats, he was -18 last year.

Yes, True.... it's called an injury plagued season. You should know all about those, just look up Koivu in hockeydb.com and count the number of 80 game seasons.
well keep him!
i dont give a **** about comrie !

Old
10-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
How did I know it was going to be this prosposal when I opened this page? I wouldn't do it.

Old
10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
both players are so similier that why would either team do the deal
So similar? Aside from their size, what is so similar about them? I take Koivu over Comrie in a heart beat, even if he's injury prone. Koivu is a leader and is responsible defensively while being an elite playmaker. None of those qualities can be attributed to Comrie. Plus seeing how he is beloved in Montreal, this deal would never go through. It would be a PR disaster.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:06 PM
The Hamburglar

Koivu leaving Montreal?

hahahaha

Old
10-21-2003, 01:25 AM
aHab

Quote:
What's up y'all!
I think that it smells transaction right here. Saku is angry because he's not playing, and Demers said there are a lot of scout in Montreal watching the club.
OK... Koivu is injured and there are lots of scouts watching the club. Are they watching Koivu sitting at pressbox? Don't think so...

Perreault and especially Ribeiro are the ones Habs are showcasing.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:57 AM
bucksoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
So similar? Aside from their size, what is so similar about them? I take Koivu over Comrie in a heart beat, even if he's injury prone. Koivu is a leader and is responsible defensively while being an elite playmaker. None of those qualities can be attributed to Comrie. Plus seeing how he is beloved in Montreal, this deal would never go through. It would be a PR disaster.
I don't take anything away from Koivu at all... I simply wouldn't make the trade because of his age, salary, and yes, he is injury prone. So it just wouldn't make sense from an EDM perspective.

Were he the same age as Comrie.... well then yes, they would be serving nearly identical roles on either team.

As for your comments above, they are more opinion and urban myth than anything else.

FACT: Comrie has been a defensively responsible PLUS player for his entire young career, with the exception of the 20-odd games he played after his injury. During those games, and those games alone, we accumulated his -18 rating. This has been analysed to death by IGOR on the oilers board. We call it "a tale of two Comries". Any GM would be willing to consider that his play was mearly a blip on the radar.

FACT: Mike Comrie has been a great young leader for the Oilers. Do a google search, look at some articles beyond the last 6 months, and all you will find are stories about him carrying the team on his back after Weight was traded. This was fact. His recent fall from grace, is purely based on comments made by Lowe in the course of hard-ball negotiations, and media frenzy. Lowe does this whenever he is negotiating, and as a way to soften fans up to the idea that another superstar may be traded. He called Smyth a greedy person two months ago on the eve of an arbitration hearing... does that mean Smyth is a poor team player? No, but only because the media didn't have time to over-analyse the comment. Smyth signed the next day.

FACT: Koivu is an ELITE playmaker and GOOD goalscorer. Comrie is an ELITE goalscorer and GOOD playmaker. How many NHLers in recent memory have scored 33 goals in their first full season? Please name them for me so that we see the company Comrie is in.

FACT: When healthy, Comrie is a clutch performer. He took over for Weight after only 35 games in the league. Everyone said Edmonton was sunk, and yet somehow, the team managed to equal its point output despite a huge injury to Smyth, and many others including: Smith, Niinimaa, Marchant, Grier, etc. How did this happen? Comrie stepped up and kept the team afloat. His 33 goals were the reason we didnt select #1 overall that year.

I fail to see how "none of these qualities can be attributed to Comrie".

Old
10-21-2003, 06:28 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Koivu is staying in Montreal. Pretty big contract and injury history means they can't get much for him. He is a good fit for Montreal, if he only could stay healthy.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:41 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Koivu will stay in Montreal. NOBODY would give decent value for a guy his age, with his ability, and that is a rarely healthy. If any Habs fan thinks that the rebuilding Canadians wouldn't deal Koivu for Comrie they are kidding themselves (do you think Gainey gives a ***** what some of the fans care?). Comrie can play at Koivu's (or DAMN close) level already, add on top of that he's younger, cheaper, and has LOADS of potential... then I'm affraid you have a deal for Gainey and NOT for Lowe.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:31 AM
Guy!

Fascinating.

That people would assume that Koivu might be on the block because management is keeping him out with scouts watching the game.

Sit back a second and think about that comment.

Koivu sits *out* while scouts watch the games.

Think they're there to watch Koivu and scout him? Or perhaps, just perhaps, do you think Koivu is being kept out to ensure his knee is fully healed while at the same time showcasing *somebody else* on the roster. I'm just not sure where some of the logic originates.

As for a Koivu/Comrie deal, there are many reasons to do it and many not to bother. From a Hab perspective, the blowback from the fans would be outrageous considering everything he's gone through in the last years and everything he's come to mean to the club. Not to mention that in any trade, the team that gets the better player generally wins - and while I like Comrie, he's not quite in the same league as Sax.

From an Oil perspective, the trade quite simply makes no sense. Certainly, there would be an upgrade at centre, but they have to take into consideration the injury factor and, more importantly, the cost factor. It's unfortunate, but the Oil are not in a position to go out and start luring in the high-priced talent...not yet.

Far more realistic is the Ribeiro/Comrie proposal that people have put out. Of course Montreal would have to chip in something else, but one wonders even then if the Oil would be making a wise decision. Ribby has played well this year so far, but like it or not, he's small and still gets pushed off the puck far too easily. Unless the Habs chipped in something extremely juicy, the Oil would only be cutting their own neck.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-21-2003, 12:22 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
He's also injury prone,
No he is not! Koivus is not injury prone! He has played 2 full 82 game seasons. Hes just been unlucky with health, imo.

Old
10-21-2003, 12:40 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi
No he is not! Koivus is not injury prone! He has played 2 full 82 game seasons. Hes just been unlucky with health, imo.

That is one of the funniest posts I have EVER read.

2 full seasons in 9? Great player, but injury prone is a tremendous understatement.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksoil
I don't take anything away from Koivu at all... I simply wouldn't make the trade because of his age, salary, and yes, he is injury prone. So it just wouldn't make sense from an EDM perspective.

Were he the same age as Comrie.... well then yes, they would be serving nearly identical roles on either team.

As for your comments above, they are more opinion and urban myth than anything else.

FACT: Comrie has been a defensively responsible PLUS player for his entire young career, with the exception of the 20-odd games he played after his injury. During those games, and those games alone, we accumulated his -18 rating. This has been analysed to death by IGOR on the oilers board. We call it "a tale of two Comries". Any GM would be willing to consider that his play was mearly a blip on the radar.

FACT: Mike Comrie has been a great young leader for the Oilers. Do a google search, look at some articles beyond the last 6 months, and all you will find are stories about him carrying the team on his back after Weight was traded. This was fact. His recent fall from grace, is purely based on comments made by Lowe in the course of hard-ball negotiations, and media frenzy. Lowe does this whenever he is negotiating, and as a way to soften fans up to the idea that another superstar may be traded. He called Smyth a greedy person two months ago on the eve of an arbitration hearing... does that mean Smyth is a poor team player? No, but only because the media didn't have time to over-analyse the comment. Smyth signed the next day.

FACT: Koivu is an ELITE playmaker and GOOD goalscorer. Comrie is an ELITE goalscorer and GOOD playmaker. How many NHLers in recent memory have scored 33 goals in their first full season? Please name them for me so that we see the company Comrie is in.

FACT: When healthy, Comrie is a clutch performer. He took over for Weight after only 35 games in the league. Everyone said Edmonton was sunk, and yet somehow, the team managed to equal its point output despite a huge injury to Smyth, and many others including: Smith, Niinimaa, Marchant, Grier, etc. How did this happen? Comrie stepped up and kept the team afloat. His 33 goals were the reason we didnt select #1 overall that year.

I fail to see how "none of these qualities can be attributed to Comrie".
To keep it short, I have never seen any playmaking abilities in Comrie that could grant him the "good playmaker" description. Average is what I'd say, at the very best. Saying he's a leech would be too strong, but he sure doesn't elevate the game of his wingers with his play. Lots of garbage goals, and a lot more work from a TRUE complete talent in Smyth.

Also, I have never seen Comrie play defense before or after his injury. He plays a run and gun style and the injury didn't make that any better or worst.

I'd also like to know how one 30 goal season makes him an "elite" goal scorer. Zednik had a 30 goal season last year also. Does that make him an elite goal scorer too? If so, there's a hell lot more of those than I originally thought. An elite goal scorer is Heatley, Iginla, Hejduk... Comrie is not there yet and is no lock to be one day either.

Closed Thread