HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taffe traded for Sonnenberg...

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2006, 07:29 AM
SudburyWolvesFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Blue
I was sort of wondering why you got jumped on too Sudbury.

As for Sonnenberg, he just turned 28, and only has 17 points in 41 games for San Antonio. No real upgrade from Taffe to me... Only difference is Taffe is engaged to Gretzky's niece.
Didnt you know, it's one of the deadly sins to defend Lundmark at all in Rangerland???

Good find on the engagement, where did you find that! That is pretty funny....

So sad that you guys will probably steal Marc Staal from us next year (let us keep our captain )

Old
01-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

I watch the Phoenix games and it was mentioned about Taffe shortly after the trade. Guess Gretzky's niece gave him hell until he got him back.

Old
01-25-2006, 07:33 AM
SudburyWolvesFan

too bad Taffe truly does stink, and Gretzky is going to make him a career AHL'er......oh well maybe she prefers San Antonio! The weather is nice I hear...lol

Old
01-25-2006, 09:23 AM
bmoak

Eh. Lundmark-for-Taffe was a trade of underachieving former first rounders in a hope that a change of scenery would inspire some improvement. When Lundmark, it seems to have had some effect. With Taffe, not so much.

When you want to move a guy like Taffe (or Lundmark as a NY Ranger) in the new NHL, you can pretty much forget about getting draft picks in return. The draft is only 7 rounds now,making even lower round picks more valuable, and GMs are going to be reluctant to give up picks for marginal players. If they're inclined to trade picks, they'll spend them on players their teams need. There's alos the salary issue, as GMs are going to insist on giving salary instead of picks or prospects when they take on a well-paid project who might or might not be an everyday player.

As for Taffe for Sonnenberg, I can think of two reasons why.

1) It's an AHL roster move. If you have Taffe underperforming a bottom-six forward in the AHL, might as well trade him for someone who can perform that role well, even if he's not a prospect. Taffe's contract is up at the end of the year and I seriously doubt the Rangers plan on renewing, so they might as well get something for him.

2) It's a cap/contract move. The Rangers want to clear a litttle room under the salary cap and/or get the number of NHL contracts they have on the books further under 50 in anticpation of future moves.

Old
01-25-2006, 11:58 AM
RangerFan_48

Geeeee, I heard that Jamie Lundmark was heading back to Rangerland.
Just luv Jamie!

Old
01-25-2006, 12:05 PM
kovalev27hf

problem is lundmark is a 24 year old NHL player. sonnenberg is a 28 year old ahler. awful move. we could have gotten something better for jamie. sather just gave him to wayne as a gift because he's always liked him.

Old
01-25-2006, 12:27 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev27hf
problem is lundmark is a 24 year old NHL player. sonnenberg is a 28 year old ahler. awful move. we could have gotten something better for jamie. sather just gave him to wayne as a gift because he's always liked him.

I guess Sather forgets how Gretzky tried duping Sather into thinking that they were going to take Montoya in order for the Rangers to give up assets to move up a few picks to Phoenix's slot.

Old
01-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Sonnenberg is a minor league depth forward, nothing more.

I agree Lundmark has been a bust but to only walk away with Sonnenberg for Lundmark just wasn't very good.

The return for Lundmark wasn't going to be high, but I can't believe the team could do no better than this.

Old
01-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Was there something else possibly going on with Taffe that we didn't know about? Family issues that might have made him request a trade back? Friction with someone in Hartford?

Old
01-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Was there something else possibly going on with Taffe that we didn't know about? Family issues that might have made him request a trade back? Friction with someone in Hartford?
Not that I am aware of, other than his fiancee being related to Gretz.

For me losing Taffe for him isnt what hurts so much Lundmark. I think the Rangers could've done a little better than Sonnenberg who at this point is more of a D-rate prospect.

Old
01-25-2006, 12:47 PM
rw88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I heard that they knew the Rangers weren't happy with him and asked for him back. Also, I didn't think he was happy here in Hartford.

Old
01-25-2006, 12:54 PM
SudburyWolvesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan_48
Geeeee, I heard that Jamie Lundmark was heading back to Rangerland.
Just luv Jamie!
yeah...he might actually quit hockey before he'd take that deal

Old
01-25-2006, 12:55 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_O_T_I
I heard that they knew the Rangers weren't happy with him and asked for him back. Also, I didn't think he was happy here in Hartford.

Do u think Sather did this to get more leadership in Hartford? Sonnenberg's scoring is down but has more grit and is more of a complete player. He can help the Pack and Rangers more than Taffe would. Now Sather gotta get rid of Fedorov.. We dealt Balej, I still wonder why Sather made that move.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Do u think Sather did this to get more leadership in Hartford? Sonnenberg's scoring is down but has more grit and is more of a complete player. He can help the Pack and Rangers more than Taffe would. Now Sather gotta get rid of Fedorov.. We dealt Balej, I still wonder why Sather made that move.
In case anyone's failed to notice, Balej will be 24 soon and doesn't exactly look like an NHL player right now.

He's an above average AHL goal scorer. That's his one dimension. It's a throwaway trade in the hopes that maybe you walk away with a slightly better player. As of right now, neither guy looks like an NHL player.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:02 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
In case anyone's failed to notice, Balej will be 24 soon and doesn't exactly look like an NHL player right now.

He's an above average AHL goal scorer. That's his one dimension. It's a throwaway trade in the hopes that maybe you walk away with a slightly better player. As of right now, neither guy looks like an NHL player.

Fedorov sux, id rather get Nathan Smith or some 6th dman than him. Never liked the Fedorov deal. We got the wrong one. Sather prolly thought we got Sergei.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Fedorov sux, id rather get Nathan Smith or some 6th dman than him. Never liked the Fedorov deal. We got the wrong one. Sather prolly thought we got Sergei.
Fedorov and Balej are iffy players.

And any team wants certain players but that doesnt mean they are available. I'm sure there are lots of guys Sather wished we had, but that doesn't mean they are available per say.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:16 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Fedorov and Balej are iffy players.

And any team wants certain players but that doesnt mean they are available. I'm sure there are lots of guys Sather wished we had, but that doesn't mean they are available per say.
yea but why deal Balej?? At least he did not have issues like Fedorov has had rumored to have.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:18 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
yea but why deal Balej?? At least he did not have issues like Fedorov has had rumored to have.

Because what exactly is keeping him going to do? You take a shot at dealing for an NHL player.

If neither guy makes it to the NHL, will we remember in 10 years who had what issues?

Old
01-25-2006, 01:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Coyotes GM Michael Barnett didn't exactly welcome Taffe back with open arms

Quote:
"He's always had NHL skills, but maybe now that not one but two organizations have seen fit to send him elsewhere, he'll understand a little more the commitment he has to make to himself is a very real one and a very dedicated one," General Manager Mike Barnett said. "Our scouts still believe that if he can muster up the passion and the physical strength to match up with his skills, he'll play in the NHL"
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...tesnb0125.html

The Rangers called Phoenix to see if they wanted Taffe back

Old
01-25-2006, 01:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Balej has 29 points in 39 games this season which happens to be his fourth season in the AHL.Enough said

Old
01-25-2006, 03:54 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

some pretty big and mean d-men on San Antonio that would have been a nicer prize than Sonnenberg, considering Taffe as a former first rounder has a one or two year window left. Sonnenberg is a waste.

Old
01-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I can understand Lundmark for Taffe but I wouldn't have done either for Sonnenberg.

Old
01-25-2006, 04:47 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
I can understand Lundmark for Taffe but I wouldn't have done either for Sonnenberg.

which is the first thing I thought when I heard of the trade. As Rangers fans who are going through a rebuilding process (we still are, in case you forgot), we have been used to Sather getting something of value in return since the great purge of 2004.

I was kinda stung when we didn't meet Umberger's demands, and that Rachunek and now Balej aren't part of this rebuilding process. In Lundmark, i knew he wasn't in Sather's plans, and when he traded him for Taffe, I think all of us thought "hmmm, well this makes sense. Not a bad trade"

Even if Taffe didn't work out, at least get something in return.

Oh well. We still have about 10 prospects who haven't even made it to the NHL yet who I still think will have an impact on this team.

Old
01-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Geogaddi

Quote:
Because what exactly is keeping him going to do? You take a shot at dealing for an NHL player.

If neither guy makes it to the NHL, will we remember in 10 years who had what issues?
the part that confuses me the most about the Balej-Fedorov Deal is...did Sather really have to throw in a pick as well?...Vancouver has never been high on this guy and was Brian Burke's obsession with trying to deal him while he was there...Yeah Fedorov COULD be something...so COULD Balej... but there was no need to give the pick as well...

And for those who hate Fedor heres a little something to make you laugh if you already havent seen it.

http://www.fedorovbrothers.com/

Wish he had the passion for this as for hockey...Take a listen!

Old
01-26-2006, 12:36 PM
GarretJoseph*

The way I look at it. Lundmark still has value. The Rangers got nothing in return for him. Lundmark will make the NHL & be a decent player.

Look at Malhotra. He got wrote off too.

Lundmark was made an example of. He was being "lazy" & Sather wanted to make an example out of somebody and he was the odd man out at the time.

I didn't agree with the trade then. As for Taffe, who cares. He didn't show me anything. Lundmark has hands & some skill. He was a high draft pick for eff sake.

Jamie Lundmark will break out. And no I can't predict the future. I just feel he will do it. The same way I felt about Malhotra & Zidlicky.

Closed Thread