HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Do the Pens make any sort of move now?

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2006, 12:52 AM
CertifiedPublicGuin

vCash: 500
Do the Pens make any sort of move now?

With Palffy's retirement, the Penguins made the decision to keep Fleury up seemingly for good and pay him his money. With Lemieux out now, do you think the Pens will try to make any big moves and if so, what sort of possibilities are there?

Old
01-25-2006, 01:00 AM
66-29-33

After what our team has shown who will want them? if anyone, i REALLY want Gonchar and his waste of 5 million to go even though it doesn't matter now that Lemieux and Palffys contract doesn't count towards the cap being retired and all. Pens trade Gonchar, Leclair, Recchi and Endicott goes to WBS or even Wheeling Nailers.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:03 AM
st5801

It's unlikely any big moves are made this season to acquire players. A couple players may be aquired through trades, but no big names.

Most likely though, several players will be traded away (LeClair, Tarnstrom) and the Pens will get a few mid to late round draft picks.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:24 AM
CertifiedPublicGuin

I agree that Leclair will most likely be shipped out, and after watching Tarnstrom's stock plummet compared to the end of last season, I'd like to see him gone as well. Granted many believe Malone has yet to blossom, I've seen enough of him seemingly sticking around merely because he's a Pitt. native. Perhaps package these 3 or something for a decent acquisition, though nothing comes to mind at the moment

Old
01-25-2006, 02:05 AM
txpd

really, i think the penguins should sit still for a little while and take their medicine.
They screwed up with nearly every player they signed and the result is the developement of their rich young talent has jumped the track as well. talk of trading Malone? thats how bad its gotten.

if they can move off any of the veterans they got for this season, they should get what they can and move on. they are stuck with Gonchar. that contract is untradeable unless he returns to form. if he returns to form, the pens would not want to trade him. one of two things have happened with Gonchar. Either his concussion last year in the RSL has degraded him and he is cooked OR he has not settled into Pittsburgh and the team turmoil only made him less comfortable.

if he is not damaged goods from the concussions, then he will probably return to form next season.

Old
01-25-2006, 07:46 AM
kimzey59

Please take Poapst back.

I'm asking nicely. Please don't make me beg, it could get embarrassing.

Old
01-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

They are preparing to draft Eric Johnson, so any move they make will be a salary dump.

Last edited by Vic Rattlehead*: 01-25-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old
01-25-2006, 08:44 AM
BFonzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
They are preparing to draft Jack Johnson, so any move they make will be a salary dump.
Maybe they could if they had a time machine.

Jack Johnson was picked # 3 overall by 'Canes in 2005 draft.

Old
01-25-2006, 08:59 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

^^He means Erik Johnson.

I believe that either Recchi or Leclair will be gone at the deadline (not both) so that's going to give the Pens about $10 mil. for next year to use. $4-5 mil. of it will be for Fleury and Malkin though so you're talking about $5 mil. My opinion? Sign two good, solid defenseman and leave it at that. If they have some sort of financial plan for Fleury and Malkin or the can get rid of some more dead weight I would say sign two defenseman and a decent but not great scoring forward (Vyborny, Dvorak, etc.). This team should be molded into a poor man's Flames until they get the arena and financial stuff out of the way.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
I wouldnt be surprised if they started moving players around now. Secondly, I dont even think they will be in Pittsburgh for more than another year.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Bloodline

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19
With Palffy's retirement, the Penguins made the decision to keep Fleury up seemingly for good and pay him his money. With Lemieux out now, do you think the Pens will try to make any big moves and if so, what sort of possibilities are there?
How about moving the team to Québec city? Or Winnipeg? Sounds good from a Canadian standpoint.

On a more serious note. I think they should rebuild. Get rid of the older players that have been playing on there names for a while and get some young players. IMO

You guys have Malkin oming next year. Malkin and Crosby should be good.

Old
01-25-2006, 02:02 PM
spent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFonzy
Maybe they could if they had a time machine.

Jack Johnson was picked # 3 overall by 'Canes in 2005 draft.
maybe thats why they need to dump salary- to save on money for the time machine. those things dont come cheap you know.

Old
01-25-2006, 02:05 PM
SlapnutsV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodline
I think they should rebuild.
What do you think we've been doing since the end of the 02-03 season?

Yes, Craig Patrick's free agent acquisitions blew up in his face, but there isn't a full-blown rebuilding project needing to be done.

CP needs to try again in free agency, while developing the prospects the organization already has. Hopefully a few new vets in addition to Malkin will make a difference a year from now.

Old
01-25-2006, 02:12 PM
magnum44

Is Malkin coming for sure? I heard somewhere that he is under contract in Russia for 2 more years and that there was a good chance he would stay there. The guy doesn't speak a lick of english and if the money is comparable I can't see him coming over here to play for Pittsburgh.

Old
01-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum44
if the money is comparable I can't see him coming over here to play for Pittsburgh.
He'll make much more money if he stays in RSL.

Old
01-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf
He'll make much more money if he stays in RSL.
Well if he were to win the Calder next season he could potentially earn close to $4M in the NHL. Not to mention after his entry level deal expires he could get in the range of $4.5-5.5M a season. Malkin is definately coming to the NHL and his career earning potential will be higher than in Russia.

Old
01-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

As far as players moving, hopefully recchi leclair and tarnstrom are gone....if we lose those 3 we can afford to keep gonchar around for at least part of another year hoping he returns to his glory days.

One big move the pens need to make is getting rid of craig patrick.....they need a new gm and the new gm needs to be given a chance to pick up some free agents in the summer again like patrick was.

Old
01-25-2006, 08:07 PM
alecfromtherock

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3
As far as players moving, hopefully recchi leclair and tarnstrom are gone....if we lose those 3 we can afford to keep gonchar around for at least part of another year hoping he returns to his glory days.

One big move the pens need to make is getting rid of craig patrick.....they need a new gm and the new gm needs to be given a chance to pick up some free agents in the summer again like patrick was.
Trade CP, why didn’t the Pens think of this?

Closed Thread