HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Does Tim Panaccio have a Job?

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2006, 03:53 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Why Does Tim Panaccio have a Job?

Just read this in the Inquirer in the "Loose Pucks" section.

"Finally, Flyers prospect Steve Downie just can't seem to stay on the ice. He was suspended recently for figve games for going after Belleville captain Andrew Gibbons during the final five minutes of a game. Gibbons turtled, but Downie insisted on throwing punches, thus earning a well deserved suspension. This kid doesn't get it. Even after chats from Paul Holmgren, a respected fighter, he's still a bully with no conscience and no respect for his fellow player. That's not the type of player who would be wearing orange and black. It makes you wonder whether Downie is simply a younger version of Billy Tibbetts."

I think Tim Panaccio is insane. I didn't see the incident, but Downie strikes me as a player with a whole lot of heart who inspires his teammates. It's Tim Panaccio who doesn't get it. First of all, Clarke loves players like this, thus, he would be wearing the orange and black. Panaccio finishes by brilliantly comparing Downie to a convicted rapist who had no skill whatsoever and didn't belong within 20 miles of a rink.

Panaccio also said that Niittymaki would go back to being the back-up.

Is www.firetimpanaccio.com already taken?

Old
01-22-2006, 04:18 PM
54fightin

and just as bad as the crap he wrote on Downie was the plagiarisitic rip-off story on Jamie Storr. The story was almost word for word from the Flyers website story earlier this week. The Sunday column is a waste of space and the Thursday thing he does is not any better. A good bit of the Thursday space explains the same thing every week - and then he reviews the games from the previous week.

Old
01-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I usually don't have a problem with Pinatch, but yeah, that bit on Downie is just ignorant, misinformed and uncalled for. He's clearly never watched him play. Either that, or he's a fan of Buttman's ice-dance NHL.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
looks like someone didn't see the WJC's. Some would say he was Canada's best player. On a team with many more regarded players

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
01-24-2006, 06:39 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
looks like someone didn't see the WJC's. Some would say he was Canada's best player. On a team with many more regarded players
But that doesn't contradict what he wrote. He didn't say Downie wasn't good, or skilled, or filled with potential. He was writing about the kid's mental make up. One can be excellent at one's work and still have serious anger management issues. (Problem is that in Downie's line of work, anger management is a necessary trait.)

Old
01-24-2006, 08:17 AM
FlyerFanLWB

i thought billy tibbits had **** charges??? comparing downie to a convicted rapeist is about as ignorant as a writer can get...

Old
01-24-2006, 08:43 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFanLWB
i thought billy tibbits had **** charges??? comparing downie to a convicted rapeist is about as ignorant as a writer can get...
For the record:

1. Tibbetts pleaded guilty March 30, 1994, to raping a 15-year-old girl

2. On April 27, 1994, he was given a suspended sentence ... on charges of assault and battery on a police officer, disorderly conduct and intimidating a witness.

3. Tibbetts was arraigned again July 12, 1995, in Hingham (Mass.) District Court for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon

4. "Pittsburgh Penguins right wing Billy Tibbetts was suspended four games without pay by the NHL on Monday for sucker punching Atlanta Thrashers left wing Darcy Hordichuk while he was on the bench."

5. November 19, 2004 PRINCETON, NJ The ECHL announced on Friday that Las Vegas right wing Billy Tibbetts has been suspended indefinitely: "The Condors had just taken a 5-3 lead on (David) Kudelka's second goal at 5:21 of the third period when Tibbetts, who had committed four minor penalties earlier and was frustrated by the Mike Hofstrand-Todd Alexander-Paul Rosebush line all night, snapped.

The puck entered Bakersfield's zone. Tibbetts skated in and gave an unsuspecting Alexander a vicious cross-check in the same fashion one might deliver an uppercut."

I think you guys are, intentionally or not, are missing Panaccio's point which has to do with Downie's potential state of mind not the particulars of what the kid's done. Panaccio isn't comparing Downie to a rapist; he's comparing him to a guy who, in spite of multiple run-ins and warnings, couldn't or wouldn't get the help he needed.

Old
01-24-2006, 10:36 AM
krantan

No matter how much talent a player might have, there comes a point where his baggage overshadows any positive contributions he could make. Downie could turn it around, he needs to get some professional counseling and learn to control his irrational outbursts. He has to want to change. The whole 'rock bottom' thing.

Old
01-24-2006, 11:41 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by krantan
No matter how much talent a player might have, there comes a point where his baggage overshadows any positive contributions he could make. Downie could turn it around, he needs to get some professional counseling and learn to control his irrational outbursts. He has to want to change. The whole 'rock bottom' thing.
Except Downie isn't as bad as this guy is making him sound. He's got an incredible amount of heart and determination, and hates losing. As far as I'm concerned, Downie is the ****in man!

Old
01-24-2006, 12:32 PM
krantan

He's an uncontrolled savage. Bertuzzi almost ended up in jail for that same thing 18 months ago. We should cut Downie a break because he isn't big enough (yet) to cause permanent damage when he assaults someone?

I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, but he now has SEVERAL incidents of inexcusable behavior. Any one is a cause for concern, but at this point he IS as bad as Panaccio is making him sound. He's still young, and I wouldn't call him hopeless, but he needs to get some real help, quick if he wants to salvage his very promising career.

Old
01-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantan
He's an uncontrolled savage. Bertuzzi almost ended up in jail for that same thing 18 months ago. We should cut Downie a break because he isn't big enough (yet) to cause permanent damage when he assaults someone?

I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, but he now has SEVERAL incidents of inexcusable behavior. Any one is a cause for concern, but at this point he IS as bad as Panaccio is making him sound. He's still young, and I wouldn't call him hopeless, but he needs to get some real help, quick if he wants to salvage his very promising career.
The same thing? What the hell are you talking about? Downie hit a guy into the boards and dropped the gloves face to face with the guy who was willing to go earlier in the game but turtled in the third period and punched him a few times. Where do you get off saying that's the same as Bertuzzi breaking someone's neck from behind?

Old
01-24-2006, 01:27 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
The same thing? What the hell are you talking about? Downie hit a guy into the boards and dropped the gloves face to face with the guy who was willing to go earlier in the game but turtled in the third period and punched him a few times. Where do you get off saying that's the same as Bertuzzi breaking someone's neck from behind?
Thank you very much.

Old
01-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train
Thank you very much.
No problem at all!

Old
01-24-2006, 09:58 PM
panayiotis

tim is right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Just read this in the Inquirer in the "Loose Pucks" section.

"Finally, Flyers prospect Steve Downie just can't seem to stay on the ice. He was suspended recently for figve games for going after Belleville captain Andrew Gibbons during the final five minutes of a game. Gibbons turtled, but Downie insisted on throwing punches, thus earning a well deserved suspension. This kid doesn't get it. Even after chats from Paul Holmgren, a respected fighter, he's still a bully with no conscience and no respect for his fellow player. That's not the type of player who would be wearing orange and black. It makes you wonder whether Downie is simply a younger version of Billy Tibbetts."

I think Tim Panaccio is insane. I didn't see the incident, but Downie strikes me as a player with a whole lot of heart who inspires his teammates. It's Tim Panaccio who doesn't get it. First of all, Clarke loves players like this, thus, he would be wearing the orange and black. Panaccio finishes by brilliantly comparing Downie to a convicted rapist who had no skill whatsoever and didn't belong within 20 miles of a rink.

Panaccio also said that Niittymaki would go back to being the back-up.

Is www.firetimpanaccio.com already taken?
Downie has got a ton of baggage. I wonder if Downie inspired the kid in Windsor....How would u feel if that was youre son....?Tibbetts is a nutty comparison..To over look the other stuff will not help Downie mature.

Old
01-25-2006, 03:36 AM
FlyerFanLWB

apparently u didnt see the incident... not even close to what bertuzzi did

Old
01-25-2006, 12:13 PM
krantan

I was specifically refering to skating around an official, and tripping someone skating away. That is almost exactly what Bertuzzi did. Granted, the player was not caught unaware, and there was no real injury. But this is part of a pattern of very disturbing behavior. Notice I have not said 'trade him' or 'he will never amount anything'. But I honestly think he needs to get his head on straight.

Old
01-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFanLWB
apparently u didnt see the incident... not even close to what bertuzzi did
Didn't he crosscheck his own player in the face when he wasn't paying attention? That seems as bad as what Bertuzzi did.

Kid seems like a bad seed to me.

Old
01-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy
Didn't he crosscheck his own player in the face when he wasn't paying attention? That seems as bad as what Bertuzzi did.

Kid seems like a bad seed to me.
It was originally reported that he crosschecked the kid in the mouth, but he was paying attention. I heard after the World Juniors that the whole story was blown way out of proportion and that no, he didn't crosscheck him in the mouth, nor did he lose 4 teeth like it was initially reported.

Old
01-25-2006, 02:58 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
It was originally reported that he crosschecked the kid in the mouth, but he was paying attention. I heard after the World Juniors that the whole story was blown way out of proportion and that no, he didn't crosscheck him in the mouth, nor did he lose 4 teeth like it was initially reported.
blown out of proportion most definitely and anyways, if someone was making comments about your deceased father, I think you'd be a little angry too.

Not even close to Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi assaulted someone without any sort of warning. And I really do mean assault, that was just raw brutality.

Old
01-25-2006, 03:53 PM
clumsysnake

Video evidence?

Does anyone have any video of this latest downie incident?

Old
01-25-2006, 04:26 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsysnake
There was video floating around, but it doesn't show really show a lot. I'll see if I can find it.

Old
01-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsysnake
It's real short and only shows Downie throw a couple jabs. You see the ref getting involved but the kid looked like a Pittbull holding onto it's favorite bone.

I for one am really excited to get this kid because once he comes up he'll be on Crosby like... well you know. It's tried tested and true but Crosby comes up big against this team and we need someone to get under his skin, although it isn't that difficult.

Old
01-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Imo, there is no way it was overblown (which is in the eye of the beholder anyways). Like, would it be overblown if Carter sucker crosschecked Richards in the face in a practice (& not in a scrimmage, just as he's standing around), causing Richards to lose some teeth?
He sure did crosscheck him in the mouth & he did lose some teeth (I'm not sure how many). The worst (one of the worst anyways) is Downie suckered the young kid with a crosscheck to the teeth, as Downie crosschecked him just as the other kid was turning around to face him so the other kid had zero opportunity to defend himself.
The funny thing is, the young kid who Downie suckerd (I think hes 17) went off the ice to get cleaned up, came back on the ice & then the kid beat the crap out of Downie (ie. acted like a man & fought).
Btw, I think Downie has a real good chance of been a real effective NHL player. He's just gotta stop acting like an idiot & a**hole.

Last edited by Sammy*: 01-25-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old
01-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Imo, there is no way it was overblown (which is in the eye of the beholder anyways). Like, would it be overblown if Carter sucker crosschecked Richards in the face in a practice (& not in a scrimmage, just as he's standing around), causing Richards to lose some teeth?
He sure did crosscheck him in the mouth & he did lose some teeth (I'm not sure how many). The worst (one of the worst anyways) is Downie suckered the young kid with a crosscheck to the teeth, as Downie crosschecked him just as the other kid was turning around to face him so the other kid had zero opportunity to defend himself.
The funny thing is, the young kid who Downie suckerd (I think hes 17) went off the ice to get cleaned up, came back on the ice & then the kid beat the crap out of Downie (ie. acted like a man & fought).
Btw, I think Downie has a real good chance of been a real effective NHL player. He's just gotta stop acting like an idiot & a**hole.
That young kid isn't even two years younger than Downie, who is only 18. The kid did not beat the crap out of Downie...they fought twice actually. Were you there? You know that the kid was cross-checked in the teeth? Those reports are false. If anything, he lost the teeth in the two fights.

That "young kid" also developed a reputation of a trouble maker, a similar player to Downie in temperament. In fact, the team was all on the side of Downie during that incident because they felt Aliu deserved what came to him. He was dogging it in practice, was insubordinate to one of the veteran players, an NHL first round draft pick, and kept lipping off to him. He was out-cast by the team because that kid had stripped away their best player and ultimate leader through his selfish actions during that practice and at other times. The media and the ownership of the Spitfires took Aliu's side, but the players were on Downie's side...you know, the guys who were actually there and know the players. He thought he was the king-**** of that team, but he was just a rookie. Same reason Crosby gets no respect, he's a rookie! If a teammate dropped the gloves with Crosby in practice because he was lipping off to a veteran, I would applaud that effort. Rookies have no business trash talking and being insubordinate to veterans and captains.

You say Aliu acted like a man...well that's what Downie did. He fought him in practice when Aliu was acting like a tool. He stepped up and showed him what it's like. That wasn't good enough, Aliu kept on acting like a tool, and Downie lost his temper. He crosschecked him, but not in the mouth. Downie at least tapped him on the shoulder first.

No doubt the guy has some anger issues, but under the right coaching, like the World Juniors, you can see what an effective guy he can be. This latest suspension is an absolute joke. The OHL Commish jumped all over this one because Downie has a reputation. But when a Peterborough teammate is involved in an incident a few days later, the commissioner takes a week to decide a suspension. The commissioner and his referee-in-chief are all about the media spotlight. They love being in the spotlight and showing to everyone what a great and disciplined league they run. But that discipline only appeals to them when they know they'll get national coverage for it. Their suspensions are a farce and everyone knows it. As far as I'm concerned, Downie has ONE black mark on his record, and that came at a time when the organization was in pure turmoil.

Old
01-27-2006, 01:38 PM
FlyerFanLWB

Steve Downie returned from his suspension. It was his first game back and he had 3 penalties, 3 goals and 2 assists... he was also the first star
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...?game_id=11984

Closed Thread