10-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Holmqvist sent down

Quote:
MIGHTY DUCKS OF ANAHEIM ANNOUNCE ROSTER MOVE
10/15/2003 Wednesday

ANAHEIM, Calif. - The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has sent Michael Holmqvist to the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks, Anaheim's primary development affiliate in the American Hockey League (AHL).

Holmqvist, 24 (6/8/79), has appeared in two games this season for Anaheim, recording one shot with two penalty minutes, while making his NHL debut versus Nashville on Oct. 9. The 6-3, 212 pound center played the past four seasons with TPS Turku of the Finnish League, before making the Ducks team following training camp.

A native of Stockholm, Sweden, Holmqvist was drafted by Anaheim in the first round (18th overall) of the 1997 NHL Entry Draft.

The Mighty Ducks now have 22 players on their active roster and three on injured reserve.
He should do well in Cincy and may benefit from the seasoning, unfortunately he was ill-used in his two games and didn't get much of a chance.
Don't know what this means for the club, perhaps Severson coming up?

Old
10-20-2003, 01:28 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
He should do well in Cincy and may benefit from the seasoning, unfortunately he was ill-used in his two games and didn't get much of a chance.
Don't know what this means for the club, perhaps Severson coming up?
Holmqvist may be on a two-way contract, so it makes sense that if he's not going to play, he should be sent down. I'm wondering if we haven't acquired somebody. Wouldn't surprise me that a deal was made just to shake things up.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:59 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

I think I would rather have had Holmqvist stay and Smirnov sent down. We have an extra roster spot for somebody now...not sure if it will be Severson coming back up...

Play Burnett vs San Jose so we can see him and Parker go at it again...well its more entertaining and productive than anything Smirnov will do.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:59 PM
All Star United

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
I think I would rather have had Holmqvist stay and Smirnov sent down. We have an extra roster spot for somebody now...not sure if it will be Severson coming back up...

Play Burnett vs San Jose so we can see him and Parker go at it again...well its more entertaining and productive than anything Smirnov will do.
How come? Has Smirnov been playing that bad this year? I thought he was looking good last year in the few minutes he played.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

He's only playing a few minutes, that's the point. He supposed to have all this potential...I think we'd rather see him be a major cog in Cincinatti for a while rather than a bit player here.

Old
10-21-2003, 04:35 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
He's only playing a few minutes, that's the point. He supposed to have all this potential...I think we'd rather see him be a major cog in Cincinatti for a while rather than a bit player here.
Exactly...last year at Cin. he was almost scoring a goal a game when he was down there...I'd much rather see him score 25-30 goals in the AHL and play 20 minutes a night. Up here he is useless until he takes the next step in his development, and he needs to do that at the AHL level.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:35 PM
fez

Im glad we are all in agreement that Smirnov would do better in Cincy, theres some guys on the other boards who defend him steadfastly and say nobody gives him a chance.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Even the coach doesn't give him a chance. What does that say?

Old
10-21-2003, 11:29 PM
cheesymc

Send a message via AIM to cheesymc
He doesnt even play Vish.... maybe its the language barrier but Babcock doesnt seem to like the russian players

vish got 9 min in the sharks game and chistov 10

Old
10-22-2003, 12:14 AM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesymc
He doesnt even play Vish.... maybe its the language barrier but Babcock doesnt seem to like the russian players

vish got 9 min in the sharks game and chistov 10
If you consider all of the former USSR the Ducks have:

Ozolinsh
Fedorov
Chistov
Smirnov
Vishnevski
Salei

If Babcock doesn't like Russian players, we would all be in deep doo-doo.

Old
10-22-2003, 12:54 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Babcock doesn't have confidence in Vish or Smirnov, and neither do I. Has nothing to do with them being Russian, they just are not players I trust to get the job done.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Snap Wilson

Neither Chistov nor Lupul are "protect the lead" guys as well, which is probably why we didn't see them out there a whole lot after we scored the second goal.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:17 AM
cheesymc

Send a message via AIM to cheesymc
if you look at the russian players none really stand out in leadership abilities and they dont really stand up for each other... Salei is pretty strong and physical but hes still pretty timid (remember guys like deadmarsh loved to pick on him). Chistov is the only guy who sticks up for himself but hes so tiny. Smirnov is only 21, he likes to hit but is still not aggressive enough. Federov is a supertalent that just seems to play passive. OZO is really mistake prone and needs to score to have any value, hes soft too for a big guy.

vish cant develop playing so little minutes, hopefully when carney returns vish gets paired with simpson. maybe having that big guy back him will allow him to be more aggressive, because thats his biggest talent... hitting people. Babcock is an idiot... he really needs to play Vish, look at what playing time can do for guys like Lalime and Chourinard.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:03 AM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesymc
if you look at the russian players none really stand out in leadership abilities and they dont really stand up for each other... Salei is pretty strong and physical but hes still pretty timid (remember guys like deadmarsh loved to pick on him). Chistov is the only guy who sticks up for himself but hes so tiny. Smirnov is only 21, he likes to hit but is still not aggressive enough. Federov is a supertalent that just seems to play passive. OZO is really mistake prone and needs to score to have any value, hes soft too for a big guy.

vish cant develop playing so little minutes, hopefully when carney returns vish gets paired with simpson. maybe having that big guy back him will allow him to be more aggressive, because thats his biggest talent... hitting people. Babcock is an idiot... he really needs to play Vish, look at what playing time can do for guys like Lalime and Chourinard.
I don't agree that Salei is timid. Smirnov does need to grow some balls. Fedorov does not have an agitating bone in his body. And Ozo I think is under-rated in the toughness department. But he's no Bob Probert. And Vish's deficencies have been well documented before, so I won't go into that and destroy his rep even further.

Old
10-22-2003, 04:29 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
Neither Chistov nor Lupul are "protect the lead" guys as well, which is probably why we didn't see them out there a whole lot after we scored the second goal.
In the first period?!

Closed Thread