HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Sillinger

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 10:38 AM
BuppY

vCash: 500
Sillinger

the Blues have traded Brent Johnson for Mike Sillinger.

Quote:
The St. Louis Blue have traded goaltender Brent Johnson to the Phoenix Coyotes for centre Mike Sillinger, TSN has learned. Details to follow.

Old
03-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Zeta16

Wow another OLD and slow player. This is not what rebuliding is, and he makes a good chunk of money. Let's face this organization is in the dumps, and needs to let Pleau go. Why don't we just trade for Messier, Francis, and any other old slow player to make this team worse. The Blues keep adding 4 line players to a team that can't score. Unreal!

Old
03-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Dan

He may be old, but he's not slow. He plays a smart game and is good in the circle. A good veteran to help you make the playoffs. He's been playing very good hockey lately, liked he wanted out of the desert. Good luck to Silly in St. Louis.

Old
03-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Zeta16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
He may be old, but he's not slow. He plays a smart game and is good in the circle. A good veteran to help you make the playoffs. He's been playing very good hockey lately, liked he wanted out of the desert. Good luck to Silly in St. Louis.
Please I live in Columbus and have watched him alot, he is not going to make the Blues a better team. If this is how the Blues hope to make the playoffs, the Blues have many troubling years ahead of them.

Old
03-04-2004, 04:54 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta16
Please I live in Columbus and have watched him alot, he is not going to make the Blues a better team. If this is how the Blues hope to make the playoffs, the Blues have many troubling years ahead of them.

Hes been great for us

Good contract
Speed
top 10 draw man
and a great shot!

he puts in a 100% effort and doesnt cry to the coach, how many blues players fit that profile?

Old
03-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Yotes03

Are you joking Xavier?

I thought Sillinger was pretty disappointing. Certainly not a guy that's going to put you over the top for a playoff run. He is OK on the PK and in the faceoff but that's it. And he certainly isn't physical or fast by any stretch of the imagination. He seems like a good character guy though. Always said the right things. I wish him luck but this move really seems senseless on both sides.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Plager05

I guess we are buyers then? They probably got sillinger to plug into the 3rd line center spot, and will move Cajanek to 2nd line. They need to get another winger though, maybe a defenseman....Khavanov's probably just getting a last chance tonight.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:47 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Wow another OLD and slow player. This is not what rebuliding is, and he makes a good chunk of money. Let's face this organization is in the dumps, and needs to let Pleau go. Why don't we just trade for Messier, Francis, and any other old slow player to make this team worse. The Blues keep adding 4 line players to a team that can't score. Unreal!

Sillinger is an UFA at season's end. We weren't going to get anything else for Johnson. From what I gather, Phoenix wasn't going to get anything else for Mike. If we make the playoffs, he's a HUGE addition.

This doesn't affect rebuilding. He's someone who the Blues can get rid of at the end of the year and save money. We don't have to pay BJ 1.1 mill to be a back-up in the minors. He was only taking up space. If we decide to go for it, this may prove to be a damn good move. Now if we can only trade off Khavanov for 'NEILL

Old
03-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Laperriere22*

I don't have much to say about this deal. Johnson needed a new start and Sillinger is about as unimpressive a player as you could ask for. He's kind of fast and wins faceoffs. Whoopty-doo! I hope this isn't Pleau's idea of loading up for one last push. Adding Weinrich and Sillinger is laughable at best, not that the Blues are in good shape any more regarding their playoff position. If I were a betting man (and I'm not), I'd say Johnson will beat out Boucher for the #1 spot and Sillinger will only add to the lack of scoring and taking of bad penalties. I've never been a Sillinger fan and I would have rather gotten a mid-round pick for Johnson than Sillinger, even a 7th or 8th.

Old
03-04-2004, 11:04 PM
c-carp

Quote:
There is another way to look at this, We got something for Johnson which to me is a good thing. Also if you know a bit about Sillinger he is very good on faceoffs, something that this team needs. also if he comes in and can possibly fill a 3rd line role you can maybe move someone else. This could be setting up another move. I dont thnk this is that bad.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:54 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
There is another way to look at this, We got something for Johnson which to me is a good thing
Not to mention it takes his salary off of our books for next year. (1.1 million)

Old
03-05-2004, 10:58 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
Not to mention it takes his salary off of our books for next year. (1.1 million)
Absolutely, I am right there with you on this one bro.

Old
03-07-2004, 10:26 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes03
Are you joking Xavier?
Ask the blues fans, hes got 3 points in 2 games
Its really not his fault he was on defense 95% of the time in Phoenix, hes got skill.

Old
03-07-2004, 10:34 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
Its really not his fault he was on defense 95% of the time in Phoenix, hes got skill.
big help indeed so far, winning big faceoffs.. assisting on gamewinning goals.. good pick up so far.

Old
03-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
Give that crap a rest. He hasn't looked better offensively than what the Blues already have. He scored a tap-in goal with Biron wandering behind the goal line; Johnson made the entire play happen. Sillinger isn't anything special and some meaningless stats after two games aren't going to contradict my statement either. He's a bigger righthanded version of Martins with some more skill.

I don't agree with Melrose on much, but I agree with his opinions on faceoffs. The importance of faceoffs isn't much relative to many other aspects of the game. There's a reason the best faceoff men are often guys like Sillinger or Perreault and that's because that particular skill isn't anywhere near as important as the media and some fans make it out to be.

Old
03-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Plager05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Give that crap a rest. He hasn't looked better offensively than what the Blues already have. He scored a tap-in goal with Biron wandering behind the goal line; Johnson made the entire play happen. Sillinger isn't anything special and some meaningless stats after two games aren't going to contradict my statement either. He's bigger righthanded version of Martins with some more skill.

I don't agree with Melrose on much, but I agree with his opinions on faceoffs. The importance of faceoffs isn't much relative to many other aspects of the game. There's a reason the best faceoff men are often guys like Sillinger or Perreault and that's because that particular skill isn't anywhere near as important as the media and some fans make it out to be.
2 games since we've gotten him, and 9 goals. Probably as many goals as we've had in the last 9 games... He's a great 3rd line center and now Cajanek is on a top 2 line where he should be.

Old
03-08-2004, 01:36 AM
c-carp

All I know is we got a guy who is good in an area where the team was lacking for a guy who they had put on waivers earlier in the year hoping that someone would take him. At least we got something for good old Johnie.

Old
03-08-2004, 07:28 AM
rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager05
2 games since we've gotten him, and 9 goals. Probably as many goals as we've had in the last 9 games... He's a great 3rd line center and now Cajanek is on a top 2 line where he should be.
yeah.. he really fits well.. hopefully this team can keep it up!

Old
03-13-2004, 11:18 AM
DougKnowsBest

he will win face offs for ya but he does not have much physical power and his defese does lack some consitincy. which for us was bad. but you guys already have all the strength and defense you could want. I expect sillinger will fit in real nice for ya and i am sure he will score a goal against us tonight.

Old
03-13-2004, 02:59 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest
he will win face offs for ya but he does not have much physical power and his defese does lack some consitincy. which for us was bad. but you guys already have all the strength and defense you could want. I expect sillinger will fit in real nice for ya and i am sure he will score a goal against us tonight.
Hopefully Reed Low and Jody Shelley have a go. It is amazing to me that as often as these two teams play that these two have only one regular season scrap.

Old
03-14-2004, 12:08 PM
TimothyR

From what I have seen I am pretty impressed with his acqusition. Has anybody else noticed Kitchen playing him with Tkachuk? From the games I have seen, him centering that first line hasn't been too bad.

Old
03-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
At first, my thoughts on this deal were, "Hey - at least we don't have Johnson any more." Then I remembered Sillinger was a good faceoff guy...which gives us 1 guy who wins faceoffs. After hearing the plan was to use him on the 3rd line and bump Cajanek to the 2nd line, I liked it more. After all, it's not like he (Sillinger) was going to be any worse than who we already had.

The more I see him though, the more I like him. His goal vs. Braithwaite was a fantastic shot and would have scored vs. almost any goalie in the league (short-side, inside the post and over the blocker). He's been winning faceoffs consistently, made his line more of an offensive threat, and been very solid defensively.

Again...if nothing else we no longer have Johnson (who I'm convinced will never get "it" and will be a "what if" player in this league). But, while I think he's not the final piece of the puzzle this team needed to complete to be Cup Contenders, he'll definitely be a nice addition down the stretch and in the playoffs.

03-14-2004, 04:31 PM
Zeta16

Quote:

I guess I was wrong in this, the way he played here in Columbus was horrible. That was why I hated this move. But I am wrong and that is what is good for the blues.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:15 AM
CuSa_1

Quote:
I guess I was wrong in this, the way he played here in Columbus was horrible. That was why I hated this move. But I am wrong and that is what is good for the blues.
Kudos for being able to admit you were wrong. That's a great quality to have.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:10 PM
CanesRock

Sillinger

Whats his status? I saw he left the last game early. Is he playing tonight?

Closed Thread