HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

upcoming trade deadline

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2006, 04:59 PM
porrylogspop

vCash: 500
upcoming trade deadline

well the trade deadline is about 6 weeks away . i have several questions for yunz.

1) can we trade gonchar for future considerations or will we have to give up a draft pick or a prospect along with him to get rid of him. there has got to be some playoff teams in search off a offensive defenseman with quality playoff experience.

2) what can we honestly expect to get for at the trade deadline:
a) mark recchi
b) john leclair
3) cornilius
4) eric bochnechi
5) joseph melichar
6) dick tarnstrom
7) rick jackman

and just remember we got a 4th for ian moran

Old
01-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Jag68Sid87

The time to trade Gonchar is at the draft, not before the deadline. He's playing like garbage. People aren't stupid, they want to win now, so he won't be dealt now. BUT, if you dangle Gonchar and a second-round draft pick as a package, I could see him being moved in June.

Old
01-25-2006, 05:50 PM
GoPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
The time to trade Gonchar is at the draft, not before the deadline. He's playing like garbage. People aren't stupid, they want to win now, so he won't be dealt now. BUT, if you dangle Gonchar and a second-round draft pick as a package, I could see him being moved in June.
I think if he is going to be moved, he could be moved anytime to someone who feels he can contribute better for them than he has with us. Sometimes people do not adapt to their team and location (Kovalev was never the same player in New York that he was in Pitt etc).

I am not saying there will be a taker, but if some team feels he could thrive as their PP QB and a change in scenery, he may be moved at the deadline. I do know that most of us Pens fans are probably all praying he looks unbeleivably great at the Olympics next month.

Old
01-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Pens1566

I wouldn't be shocked to see a Gonchar for Peca deal.

Old
01-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Firefighter Havok

Send a message via AIM to Firefighter Havok Send a message via MSN to Firefighter Havok
Face facts...Gonchar still has 4 1/2 years left on a hefty contract. Don't expect many teams to make a pitch for him...

He'll be with us for at least 2 more seasons, or unless someone finds a sucker to take him (which I highly doubt)

Old
01-25-2006, 08:22 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566
I doubt it since Edmonton is unlikely to pick up an albatross of a contract as another runs out, but I'd love it. Peca will be a UFA and he'd be a great 3rd line center if we wanted to keep him longer. Plus we'd be able to keep Endicott out of the NHL and Malone on the left wing.

Crosby, Malkin, Peca and Talbot down the middle sounds pretty good.

Old
01-25-2006, 09:13 PM
No Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566

I hate Peca's guts but I would take that deal.
I highly doubt The Oilers would bite on that one.

Old
01-25-2006, 09:20 PM
maxpenguins6630

I believe in Sergei! And I REALLY HOPE he REMAINS a Pens!!!! I can guarantee he will bounce back!

Old
01-25-2006, 09:55 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpenguins6630
I believe in Sergei! And I REALLY HOPE he REMAINS a Pens!!!! I can guarantee he will bounce back!
while i hope your right, i'm not sure the pens can, or want to wait and see. if they can get a taker, he's gone! [ i want to think there is something going on with gonch that we don't know. and not just an attiud problem]

Old
01-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Firefighter Havok

Send a message via AIM to Firefighter Havok Send a message via MSN to Firefighter Havok
Recchi will stay, and tonight's performance has upped the stock on LeClair a little...

I still wouldn't mind seeing LeClair sticking around for the sheer fact he's starting to come into his own, and we need a grinder around the net.

Old
01-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Viking Penguin*

STOP TALKING ABOUT TRADING GONCHAR

Are you all lost!! Do you blame Gonchar for the pens record?? If we had Detroits record nobody would be complaining. Gonchar is one of the leagues best defensemen. Calm down and take a pill. If you really expected CP to buy a Stanley Cup contender go and watch NY Ranger highlights. It took the Rangers this long to start to gel and look at Jagr. He looked shotty for the last 2 seasons and all of a sudden BANG, he has his passion back. To my luck the Pens will listen to your stupid ideas and trade Gonch and he'll win the Norris next year.

Just wait..... Gonchar is one of the key pieces to a Stanley Cup contender. Let the team grow together. I'll even write off next year as well to give them time to grow. Mark my words, the pens are the next Colorado (mid 90's) and Ottawa (present)

Old
01-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Viking Penguin*

[QUOTE=porrylogspop]well the trade deadline is about 6 weeks away . i have several questions for yunz.

1) can we trade gonchar for future considerations or will we have to give up a draft pick or a prospect along with him to get rid of him. there has got to be some playoff teams in search off a offensive defenseman with quality playoff experience.

There actually is a team that is in search of an offensive defenseman with quality playoff experience THE P I T T S B U R G H P E N G U I N S !!

Old
01-25-2006, 10:21 PM
theflightlessbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Penguin

Are you all lost!! Do you blame Gonchar for the pens record?? If we had Detroits record nobody would be complaining. Gonchar is one of the leagues best defensemen. Calm down and take a pill. If you really expected CP to buy a Stanley Cup contender go and watch NY Ranger highlights. It took the Rangers this long to start to gel and look at Jagr. He looked shotty for the last 2 seasons and all of a sudden BANG, he has his passion back. To my luck the Pens will listen to your stupid ideas and trade Gonch and he'll win the Norris next year.

Just wait..... Gonchar is one of the key pieces to a Stanley Cup contender. Let the team grow together. I'll even write off next year as well to give them time to grow. Mark my words, the pens are the next Colorado (mid 90's) and Ottawa (present)
I strongly disagree with you. Gonchar has looked terrible and i remind you he is not a spring chicken. I was one of those people who loved the signing at the time. Gonchar has no tangible benefits that he offers this team. This team will not be contending for a stanley cup championship withih the next couple years imho. We are still a few years away from that status. I hate to sound cliche but Gonchar has looked like one of those players that doesnt fit in the new nhl. I say this but i do hope you are right about him.

Old
01-25-2006, 10:26 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Penguin

No offense, but this is an unintelligent post.

Old
01-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Skk82

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVpens
No offense, but this is an unintelligent post.
yep.

gonchar has been terrible to anyone who's watched 5+ games. it's not his fault totally that the record is bad, but he hasn't done much to help. gonchar hasn't been reminiscient at all of the guy who was a great rover for washington that was always a threat. nowadays he's a liability.

Old
01-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

gonchar has had a much better past month has he not? hes been finally putting up some points and playing decently. hes got to be worth some interest at this point.

as far as the others.......leclair and recchi maybe get interest.......and tarnstrom is gone.....the rest past them no one wants likley.

Old
01-27-2006, 04:00 PM
clefty
What?

Gonchar looks to be finally starting to find his niche with Brooks Orpik, who's been really good since he came back from injury.

Old
01-27-2006, 04:08 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
Gonchar looks to be finally starting to find his niche with Brooks Orpik, who's been really good since he came back from injury.
It's refreshing to see what happens when you put players in their niche.

Old
01-27-2006, 04:26 PM
clefty
What?

I'll niche you...
*smacks palm with fist*

Old
01-27-2006, 06:34 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
I'll niche you...
*smacks palm with fist*
Please Hammer, don't hurt 'em? Er.. me?

Old
01-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by porrylogspop
well the trade deadline is about 6 weeks away . i have several questions for yunz.

1) can we trade gonchar for future considerations or will we have to give up a draft pick or a prospect along with him to get rid of him

I really doubt it's as bleak as you think. IF he's on the block (kind of doubt it), we could probably get a solid (non-offensive) defender, or very decent forward in return. This guy lead the league in D scoring for what, six years in a row? He hasn't impressed here, but he certainly has the weapons to light it up for various other teams, that wouldn't need to rely on strong play in their own zone (because it's already covered).

A team like Minnesota -were they to afford him (no idea how far under the cap they are)- would be a great fit. Everyone on that team can skate, pass and play D (well almost everyone). There are several teams I think -if they could afford him- would make a deal. I don't know the current cap status on most teams but there have to be at least a few out there with some dollars to spend the rest of this year.

That said, I'd rather he just stop floating around and play a little harder every game. That's all it's going to take IMO.

Quote:
what can we honestly expect to get for at the trade deadline:
a) mark recchi
I don't think he will be traded, to be honest. His positives far outweigh his negatives for this context.

Quote:
b) john leclair
If he keeps improving / developing chemistry with players not named Recchi, I don't think he'll go either. They are pretty close friends I think.

Other than Jackman, the rest of the guys you mention aren't going to bring anybody in. A draft pick maybe but that's it. Honestly, with the recent moves, I don't think anyone else is going anywhere.

PS - WhoTF is cornilius?

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 01-27-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old
01-27-2006, 08:24 PM
porrylogspop

PS - WhoTF is cornilius?

barnaby once said that odelien looked like cornlieus from planet of the apes

Old
01-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

that's pretty good...

Well, you can group Odie among the "you won't get a back of pucks for him" category now that I know who he is.

Closed Thread