HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what's with Hossa?

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 09:29 AM
fatmax

vCash: 500
what's with Hossa?

I was watching yesterday's game against the Pens and I wonder wath do he wait, can't he see why his brother have that kind of success. Marcel's older brother skate like hell, constantly moving, always skating!

Maybe yesterday wasn't Marcel's best game, but it's the first one that I watch entirelly and where was he, I know he made a nice pass to Zednick in the end of the 2nd period but I didn't like what a saw from him the rest of the game. Sometime he was good, sometime he was bad, I saw him fell when he softly collide with an Pens defensemen, I saw 2 weak shot from the blue line, that even Andre "red light" Racicot could have stopped!

I don't understand why he plays like that, with the skills that he have!
I think that if he plays like Ryder, he would be awesome! But I can't ask a guy to play like an other player so...

IMO, if there's somebody to sent down to Hamilton, it should be him because he have no intensity!

Old
10-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Shazbot

I have been equally disappointed with his play, and I also think he could be targeted for a demotion to the AHL, maybe just to wake him up.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:48 AM
Marchy79

I don't think Marcel has played badly... That's not to say he's been fantastic, but he definately deserves the role he plays on that line (based on the chemistry seen by these 3). I think though that Hossa is more of a center man than people gave him credence for. He was a center when drafted, and also more of a playmaker than a shooter (he doesn't have the trigger hands like Zednik or Ryder, who are both more shooters than passers).
IF this team were to put Higgins on the LW as some in the organization have advertised, I think Marcel should be first in line to play center again. I also think he has the same problematic symptom as Sundin (where one looks as if they don't work as hard, mainly because of long strides... I can relate to this because I had the same problem). Hossa right now, is playing the boards like a pro... Excellent board work displayed by Mr. Hossa to me, gives him the role he has.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmax
I was watching yesterday's game against the Pens and I wonder wath do he wait, can't he see why his brother have that kind of success. Marcel's older brother skate like hell, constantly moving, always skating!
I don't get why people always have to bring in Marian's name in the picture. Is it so hard to understand that even though they're brothers, THEY DON'T PLAY THE SAME KIND OF GAME? I guess it is...

Old
10-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

I`ve never been all that impressed by Hossa`s play, when I watched that young guns game before the all-star game he was in, he was always just kinda waiting for someone to pass him the puck, he didn`t do anything to actually get it. I think Hossa will be a good player but it might take alittle while and a few demotions to the AHL.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:07 AM
fatmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I don't get why people always have to bring in Marian's name in the picture. Is it so hard to understand that even though they're brothers, THEY DON'T PLAY THE SAME KIND OF GAME? I guess it is...
I know but when my brother was playing and I watch him play, I try to look at what he was doing to have succes, I know that Marcel isn't Marian, but Marian should have a little influence on his brother, just because they are familly!

Don't you agree that a comment made by your familly is more easilly accepted than one made by Jo Blo?

Old
10-17-2003, 10:20 AM
habfan4

- Disappointed in Hossa!!

Someone please tell me who the guy wearing number 81 is that keeps digging the puck out and feeding it to Zed and Ribeiro?? He also seems to be doing a decent job back checking.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Garnet

the game you watched

Wow you watched one full game. Against the Pens when the Habs played sloppy for two periods. Hossa is a good player and I see improvement. Watch his line. When the puck goes into the offensive end whos the first one there to dig for the puck??? Hossa. Riberio doesn't work the boards to often and Zednik does if he feels like it. The person that looks the laziest on that line is easily Zednik. Is he lazy?? Probably not just playing a smart game. Your comment about Marian is false also because he plays the same way as Zednik he pick his spots!! Which is smart.

I think Hossa is a bigger part of that line then people give him credit for. He's making space and great in the corners. Sending him to the AHL would be a step backwards in my opinion. We are a rebuilding team and Marcel has improved so far compared to last year.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen

I couldn't agree with you more, alot of people expect Marcel to play like Marian, and if he dosen't, they say he needs to be sent down, truth is, they are brothers but play a completly different style of game, take the Hossa name off Marcel's back, and I bet no one would be talking about sending him down to Hamilton, maybe he dosen't get the points like Ribeiro and Zednik do, but he's an important member of that line, just look at the goal yesterday and he's a monster on the boards, kind of like Ulf Dahlen used to do, i'm not worried about him one bit, and i'm sure he'll be a solid player for us, it's just a confindence thing with him, he just needs to learn that he CAN carry the puck sometimes, he's always looking to get rid of the puck, he just needs to slow everything down, it's like his head is thinking one thing, but his legs react a different way, lack of hockey sense, maybe? can that be corrected, no doubt!

Old
10-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4

Someone please tell me who the guy wearing number 81 is that keeps digging the puck out and feeding it to Zed and Ribeiro?? He also seems to be doing a decent job back checking.

Exactly. You just need to forget who his brother is !!!

Old
10-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Joe Cole

This board is very pro-rookie. So much so that we see effort and talent when it it isn't there...yet.

Hossa has not yet played a stretch of 10 games where he was factor in every game. Maybe he will, I think he will. But it hasn't happened yet.

Digging out pucks, playmaker? OK, if you say so.

What I have seen in all the games that the Habs have played and whatever Bulldog games that were televised, Hossa is not intense. He doesn't NEED the puck.

He has skills, and maybe he will develop into a good player. I slotted him as a second line power forward because of his size and potential. But he hasn't dazzled me yet.

When he becomes a factor on the ice on every shift, then he has arrived. Until then, he is just another prospect with poitential. Let's see if he gets some fire in his eyes.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:47 AM
mcphee

He is hard to evaluate, I find. I wish he was a little more up tempo or dynamic. A few times he passed up a wrap around attempt and waited to pass, it might have been a good play, but I wish he would drive the net a bit more agressively. I don't think it's laziness, but more a question of confidence. Right now, he offers a nice balance to his linemates, and I think he has the right coach.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:35 PM
MTLGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
When he becomes a factor on the ice on every shift, then he has arrived. Until then, he is just another prospect with poitential. Let's see if he gets some fire in his eyes.
I think you are asking too much. There are what? some 600 bonafied NHL level players out there and 90% of them are not a factor on every shift or even in every game. We expect too much out of our rookies and then bash them when they don't produce to a level we dream of.

I'll be happy if our rookies become decent players, I don't dream that any will become a concession player.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:45 PM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Exactly. You just need to forget who his brother is !!!
Agreed... Marcel's play is different than Marian's... give Marcel time, he'll adjust accordingly and will do well. He's got 50pt potential (on average) and can play a solid checking/physical role on the 2nd line.

We're only 4 games in... wait it out and things will change.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I thought he played better last night then the other games. He even had a few hits, and if he gains more confidence, I expect him to be a very good player. He must learn to use his size and strength to his advantage. I saw a Pitt defender holding onto Marcel, and with one hand Marcel just shoved him to the ice with what looked like little effort. I really think he should shoot more often, as his shoot is impressive. I like Hossa a lot, but I wonder if he is his worst enemy, as he seems to have confidence issues, imo.

Old
10-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
This board is very pro-rookie. So much so that we see effort and talent when it it isn't there...yet.

Hossa has not yet played a stretch of 10 games where he was factor in every game. Maybe he will, I think he will. But it hasn't happened yet.
WTF Hossa play with energy and does something no one was doing few years ago : a good job along the boards . Audette never ''played a stretch of 10 games where he was factor in every game'' plus he's soft and he's always the last cheker .... then when he get the puck he dump it .

Old
10-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Démon Blond

Quote:

Digging out pucks, playmaker? OK, if you say so.

What I have seen in all the games that the Habs have played and whatever Bulldog games that were televised, Hossa is not intense. He doesn't NEED the puck.

He has skills, and maybe he will develop into a good player. I slotted him as a second line power forward because of his size and potential. But he hasn't dazzled me yet.

Be patient with him... Intensity and being a factor on each shift is gained by experience and confidence, something Marcel is slowly gaining at each game... It took how many years to Todd Bertuzzi to become the player he his now?

Patience, I believe we have a raw gem in our hands now... he does play well with Ribs and Zed and that's our only line that's untouchable right now... I say don't break that line at any cost!

Old
10-17-2003, 03:16 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmax

Maybe yesterday wasn't Marcel's best game, but it's the first one that I watch entirelly and where was he, I know he made a nice pass to Zednick in the end of the 2nd period but I didn't like what a saw from him the rest of the game. Sometime he was good, sometime he was bad, I saw him fell when he softly collide with an Pens defensemen, I saw 2 weak shot from the blue line, that even Andre "red light" Racicot could have stopped!

I don't understand why he plays like that, with the skills that he have!
I think that if he plays like Ryder, he would be awesome! But I can't ask a guy to play like an other player so...

IMO, if there's somebody to sent down to Hamilton, it should be him because he have no intensity!
Both those shots came at the end of their shift. Hossa worked his ass off last game on the boards and made a great pass on the Zednik goal. Give the kid some credit!

Old
10-17-2003, 03:41 PM
therobman27

I am new to the board and have seen both Marian and Marcel play a ton of games in junior. From what I saw of Marcel in junior was that he definetly has issues with his confindence. It took him 2 years of finding his way before he really put up impressive numbers in juniors, but once he did he was really a treat to watch. Give him time, he will never be Marian, but he will be Marcel.

Old
10-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by therobman27
I am new to the board and have seen both Marian and Marcel play a ton of games in junior. From what I saw of Marcel in junior was that he definetly has issues with his confindence. It took him 2 years of finding his way before he really put up impressive numbers in juniors, but once he did he was really a treat to watch. Give him time, he will never be Marian, but he will be Marcel.
There's a lot a people on these boards mixing up laziness and confidence issues. Hossa is working right now. He might not look like he's giving it all because he hesitates a lot and seems to freeze when a play is developing quickly. Nonetheless, he IS working. He worked hard along the boards last night which is exactly what he brings best to this line. Ribs opens the ice and confuses the opposing D with nifty plays, Zednik acts as the sniper and Hossa digs for pucks behind the net and tries to keep the play alive by cycling it down low. It's not because Hossa is not producing at Ribeiro's amazing pace that he's not a valuable asset to this line, let alone this team. I think that line right now is by far our most balanced and that's probably why they're so successful. If Hossa was awful or useless on that line, they wouldn't be able to dominate like they are right now.

Old
10-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Inertiatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4

My exact thoughts. I had thought he was one of the stronger Habs last game.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:36 PM
lotusland

Second line power forward......Hum....Okay. Remember Leclair, Bertuzzi, etc. took NHL time to develop and find their comfort level as well as needing to build a fit with their linemates. Hossa is LEARNING and is still working the boards very well, making passes and we know from last year that he can shoot. Remember he is still a Kid at 21 ...and power forwards take TIME.

Along with Ryder, and Ward we ahve the makings of kids taht can handle the going along the boards and the slot. Others may take TIME to develop the sense to crash the net with urgantcy. Relax ...tehy are progressing nicely thank you...including Hossa. The holes in his game are less apparant than last year, andit is early. He will improve with every shift has he has done thusfar. Gainey said his job was to make the players better. Obviously he knows what he is talking about. just look at Hossa.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:54 PM
8b

I don't know what you're talking about, Hossa played very well since the begining of the season. He didn't got often on the scoreboard (1 pass) but his play is way more physical than last season. It is why you don't see Bulis take his place. Even vs the Sens he impressed me with his actions in the corners. It is a matter of time before he score his first goal this season, and even if he does not he'll be very usefull to his line mates.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:33 AM
jcpenny

HOSSA CANT HOLD ON THE PUCK FOR 2 SECS!! Thats his problem. Ive never seen him carry the puck from his zone to the other. With him its always a quick pass or a shot. Ribeiro and Zednik should tell him thats its ok to keep the puck. He has the physical tools and skating habilities. If down the road he cant become that type of player i would trade him.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:10 AM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
HOSSA CANT HOLD ON THE PUCK FOR 2 SECS!! Thats his problem. Ive never seen him carry the puck from his zone to the other. With him its always a quick pass or a shot. Ribeiro and Zednik should tell him thats its ok to keep the puck. He has the physical tools and skating habilities. If down the road he cant become that type of player i would trade him.
Exactly. I can't believe people here are saying he's a beast along the boards, since he never manages to keep the puck. Never, ever, will you see him switch directions along the boards to get past an opponent. He always gets pushed on the boards and someone takes the puck.

Closed Thread