HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm afraid this year is lost

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2006, 09:28 AM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
the team most definitly needs a bit of twinking.

but get a grip guys. seeing the negativity on this boards is almost as sickening as the performance last night

Old
01-26-2006, 09:45 AM
macleish1974

This is my first reply to any topic on this site. I have been waiting for the right opportunity to speak. First I have been a fan of hockey since the early 60s, the Boston Bruins were my team until we received a franchise in Philly. I had seats on the redline starting in 1970 until 1976 ( yes I got to see two Stanley Cups!). My favorite player on the Flyers is my username Rick McLeish and 1973-1974 was my favorite Flyer season by far. The rules and the team then were a complete mesh. Which brings me to this topic. It is not the injuries per se, though this is a big enough problem. It is not the coaching, though I do not think they are getting through to some of the players. The potential talent is fine, but it is the realized talent that is overrated by some of you

the following have the potential talent but not realized:

B. Radivojevic; J. Carter; M. Richards; RJ Umberger; B. Eager; R Jones; F. Meyer.....they all have a way to go to realize their potential talent

the following had the talent but no longer realized:

S. Kapanen; D. Brashear; T. Stevenson ; D. Hatcher ; C. Therien.....they have all lost their realized talent.... ravages of age.....no fire

the following have the talent but are too injury prone to realize what potential
they have:

P. Forsberg ( we knew this when we signed him); E. Desjardins ( though he could
easily fall into the category above)

Limited talent realized:

B. Savage; ( he is what he is)

Good talent realized:

M. Handzus; M. Knuble; K Johnsson; R. Esche; A. Niitymaki: M. Rathje

Very good talent realized:

S. Gagne, J. Pitkanen

Hart Trophy talent realized:

None

The way this team is structured, the team is either too young or too old; the number of 24-29 year olds is very limited. A team that grows together over not months but years breeds long term success, a good shot at the Stanley Cup.
In reality this team is not going to the Stanley Cup finals, though I would love to see them do it as a fan of the team. But to be practical even if everyone was healthy, which is not going to happen soon, this team does not mesh well at all.

Old
01-26-2006, 10:48 AM
jb**

I thought this thread was about the Pittsburgh Penguins at first and was wondering what it was doing on the Flyers board. They are palying bad hockey right now, it happens during the course of a season teams go into lulls. If this team loses 10 in a row and falls out of the playoff picture than it is a lost season.

Old
01-26-2006, 10:58 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77
This thread is completely ridiculous. "This year is lost"...when they're still one of the top teams in the East? I'm glad to see your last post admits this is completely unwarranted. Make any other top team in the league have this level of injuries, and see how well they do. Was last night's game disappointing? No question it was...I cursed at the TV and wanted to throw stuff. But make me give up on the season? Are you insane? This is a good team. Forsberg will go for the playoffs...as others have pointed out, it took a ruptured spleen to make him miss the playoffs before. With Johnsson coming back (and using a face shield. Why on earth more players don't do that is beyond me, but that's another discussion) and Pitkanen due back soon, this team will improve greatly. How could it not, since that means that Therien won't be playing so much?

There probably will be some moves coming, as the forward corps needs some more upgrading. I'm still puzzled by the Nedved move a bit, but if he starts using his shot, that'd be great...and really, I can't complain too much. He's had a point in each game he played for the Flyers, and if he can provide some spark for the 2nd PP unit, that would be great. I'd like to see the Flyers acquire someone better at the deadline, but really, I'll leave that to the people on the trade board to propose stuff. Oh, and if they could get rid of Savage, I'd be happy with that. He just doesn't produce, despite all the effort he puts in.

Good post.

Old
01-26-2006, 01:00 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
We aren't going to win every game, or do people not realize that. You have three rookies out there and Therien. That puts you in a hole already. This team does need to develop a killer instinct. That is one thing that worries me, that they don't have the drive to seal the win. Other than that, people...stop whining. Most fans of other teams would love to have their team sitting in 3rd in the Conference with all the injuries we've had. We will win again very soon. The team has to work through all of this. We will be fine.

Stop this:
And start doing this at the games:

Old
01-26-2006, 01:07 PM
TheKingPin

Honestly if the Rangers can win as many games as they have, then we can win without Foppa. Joni and KJ are comming back any game now, that is going to add a goal a game on its own. We flat out need to do what teams with lower talent do...block shots use the transition game and hit. I think that every single Flyer is just beat up. Half of them will get better after the break. The other half are going to the Olympics so who knows. We will win this division. In the mean time root for tampa and buffalo to slow Carolina and Ottawa down. Im hoping we play Atlanta in the first round.

Old
01-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Flyersfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
We aren't going to win every game, or do people not realize that. You have three rookies out there and Therien. That puts you in a hole already. This team does need to develop a killer instinct. That is one thing that worries me, that they don't have the drive to seal the win. Other than that, people...stop whining. Most fans of other teams would love to have their team sitting in 3rd in the Conference with all the injuries we've had. We will win again very soon. The team has to work through all of this. We will be fine.

Stop this:
And start doing this at the games:
I agree! i went to the Pittsburg game and it seemed everyone there was dead...untill the Richards fight. And this thing with Forsberg was we all knew he was gonna get Injured sometime. I just want to know why no one thinks , or is telling the rookies and people left that they can do it without Forsberg... It could just be me or is it like everytime the guy goes out we put the kiss of death on our team. When in reality they can do it or atleast try...

Old
01-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Gert B Frobe

32 games left - I think 40 more points is a conservative prediction - that would give the Flyers 116 points.

I think that would be enough for at least the 3rd seed and probably the 2nd - not exactly a lost season...

Old
01-26-2006, 06:11 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1946
Though every team suffers injuries, it is the magnitude and severity of the injuries that has surfaced which then leads to a lower seed in the playoffs because of losses like last night. As we saw against Tampa Bay in 2004, it wasn't solely a better team that won but a healthier one from the regular season that lead to a home Game 7. Injuries are part of the game but in the words of Roberto Duran "No Mas!"

Old
01-26-2006, 06:57 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I think that would be enough for at least the 3rd seed and probably the 2nd - not exactly a lost season...
Come now! The Flyers aren't playing for playoff seeding! If the Flyers land the second seed and lose in the first round, many people will rightfully call this a lost season for them. They have drafted, traded for, and bought too much talent for such minimal goals.

Old
01-26-2006, 06:59 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
Though every team suffers injuries, it is the magnitude and severity of the injuries that has surfaced which then leads to a lower seed in the playoffs because of losses like last night. As we saw against Tampa Bay in 2004, it wasn't solely a better team that won but a healthier one from the regular season that lead to a home Game 7. Injuries are part of the game but in the words of Roberto Duran "No Mas!"
It's true, the magnitude and severity of the injuries sucks big time. However, we aren't going to suddenly slip in the standings. I think we will be fine. It will help getting Joni and KJ back in the lineup. The Olympic break will help with the healing of injuries as well. I think that will really help us. Until then, the Flyers need to keep on going. Gagne and the rest of the team need to take the game to the other team. I know we can beat any team in the East (TB not included unless something changes in the near future). So I am not worried about seeding for the playoffs. I think we will be fine.

Old
01-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Come now! The Flyers aren't playing for playoff seeding! If the Flyers land the second seed and lose in the first round, many people will rightfully call this a lost season for them. They have drafted, traded for, and bought too much talent for such minimal goals.
Everybody else has drafted, traded for and bought talent with the same goal. What else is the regular season for? The Flyers had better get hot quickly if they are to get the 1 seed. And why would they lose in the first round as a 2 seed anyway?

Old
01-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
ah... Negadelphia rears its head.
I am the mayor of Negadelphia, and as Mayor of Negadelphia, I agree with the initial post. The team is never going to be fully healthy. As soon as one player returns, two go down. I have grown weary of this, and can only conclude that an outside supernatural force it determined to prevent the Flyers from winning. The way this team fails to put teams away frays my nerves. Besides, losing to a team that hasn't won in 9 road games or so in a road and that has been playing lousy of late didn't help. My only hope is for Hitchcock to put the whole team on IR until the playoffs, then maybe they'd be healthy. Bring up the Trenton Titans and give them a go at it for a while.

Old
01-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!

This thread is, for lack of a better word, ********

Old
01-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
I am the mayor of Negadelphia, and as Mayor of Negadelphia, I agree with the initial post. The team is never going to be fully healthy. As soon as one player returns, two go down. I have grown weary of this, and can only conclude that an outside supernatural force it determined to prevent the Flyers from winning. The way this team fails to put teams away frays my nerves. Besides, losing to a team that hasn't won in 9 road games or so in a road and that has been playing lousy of late didn't help. My only hope is for Hitchcock to put the whole team on IR until the playoffs, then maybe they'd be healthy. Bring up the Trenton Titans and give them a go at it for a while.
The injury situation is completely absurd... but there are the good things to ponder:

1) We've lost, what, 230+ man games thus far? We're still leading our division...

2) The injuries have forced players we weren't expecting a lot from to step up and play a prominent role... making them better and giving them more experience in different situations. We have a host of players who have seen time on the PK/PP that normally wouldn't have been out there. This is a good thing for team depth...

3) Assuming we ever get healthy... imagine what this team will be like?

Old
01-27-2006, 09:47 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Everybody else has drafted, traded for and bought talent with the same goal.
No. Team goals differ. Teams like the Thrashers do not have the same goal as the Flyers, and the talent they may have acquired over the off season reflects their different goals. For example, the Flyers bought Peter Forsberg, Derian Hatcher, and Mike Knuble. The Rangers bought Michael Nylander, Marek Malik, and Martin Straka. There's really no comparison to be made between what those two teams bought, nor should there be. The team goals are different. The Flyers were trying to buy the players necessary for a Cup, while the Rangers were trying to buy players who would fill vacancies and merely keep the team respectable as it rebuilds.

Quote:
why would they lose in the first round as a 2 seed anyway?
Well let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time they (or other teams) had been knocked out in the early rounds by a lesser team. We needn't go over the history especially since it's secondary to my point.

You said in your post that getting the second seed would mean it wasn't a "lost season." I disagree. Getting the second seed only to lose in the first or even second round would constitute a lost season for the Flyers. This team opened the year as the odds-on favorite to win the Cup. They have the talent, depth, and coaching to merit that expectation. If they fail to live up to it by a wide margin, that's a lost season.

Last edited by dedalus: 01-27-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old
01-27-2006, 12:03 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy
THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!

This thread is, for lack of a better word, ********
Th eteam that came in here and beat the Flyers 5-3 on Wednesday night went to Ottawa on Thursday and managed only 12 shots in a 3-nil loss.

Have a nice day.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC
Th eteam that came in here and beat the Flyers 5-3 on Wednesday night went to Ottawa on Thursday and managed only 12 shots in a 3-nil loss.

Have a nice day.
And? So? Therefore? Who cares if they lost to Montreal. Without Forsberg, Pitkanen, or Johnsson. Meaning that they played three rookies and Chris Therien heavily on defense. One loss to a bad team means the season is over? I'm sorry, but I think that's insane. The fact that Ottawa smoked Montreal while the Flyers lost to Montreal means little. Yes, the Flyers are struggling right now. If Ottawa was missing Redden and Chara (along with the other guys currently sidelined), they'd struggle too.

Honestly, this is ridiculous. Fine, people want to be all defeatist, claim the sky is falling and the season is over? Go ahead, be my guest. Someone has to be the first off the bandwagon, I suppose. I'll wait and see what the rest of the season holds. I guess I should just be ignoring idiocy like this.

Old
01-27-2006, 01:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77
And? So? Therefore? Who cares if they lost to Montreal. Without Forsberg, Pitkanen, or Johnsson. Meaning that they played three rookies and Chris Therien heavily on defense. One loss to a bad team means the season is over? I'm sorry, but I think that's insane. The fact that Ottawa smoked Montreal while the Flyers lost to Montreal means little. Yes, the Flyers are struggling right now. If Ottawa was missing Redden and Chara (along with the other guys currently sidelined), they'd struggle too.

Honestly, this is ridiculous. Fine, people want to be all defeatist, claim the sky is falling and the season is over? Go ahead, be my guest. Someone has to be the first off the bandwagon, I suppose. I'll wait and see what the rest of the season holds. I guess I should just be ignoring idiocy like this.

agreed, if Johnsson,Rico or Pitkanen are in the lineup Jan Bulis doesnt happen and the Flyers win. If Therien is on our 2nd line pairing on a nightly basis we are in trouble. I dont care who we play.

Old
01-27-2006, 02:17 PM
High Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
agreed, if Johnsson,Rico or Pitkanen are in the lineup Jan Bulis doesnt happen and the Flyers win. If Therien is on our 2nd line pairing on a nightly basis we are in trouble. I dont care who we play.
I haven't had a chance to waste my time and read all the faithless posts, but i agree with this one. Therien being in the line up is hurting our D big time. I think he might actually be hurting us by being on the bench so much than on the ice. His pressence is forcing the Flyers to play Meyer, Hatcher, and Rathje more minutes than they normally would. You can see in games how our D is just completely spent by the middle of the 3rd. Also, no matter how comfortable they look, playing 3 rookie D is going to bite you at some point. We are missing the speed of Joni, Kim, and Rico in getting out of our zone and also on the PP and PK.

Last Game D minutes and p/m
source: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...6/ES020733.HTM

Hatcher 25:15 +1
Rathje 25:15 -3
Meyer 23:29 +1
Jones 17:15 +1
Picard 11:06 -2
Therien 7:26 -2

As for all the other concerns...it was 1 bad game with lucky bounces and bad giveaways...and the other losses were after a long road trip and while nitty was on his 16th plus consecutive games.

My major concern is that there seems to be no true leader on this team, to get them fired up. (without Prims)

Old
01-27-2006, 02:39 PM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC
Forsberg is physically unable to go four straight games, let alone four playoff series. Primeau's not coming back. I fear Radivojevic is done for the year. Brashear, Savage, and Therien are empty tank veterans, and the adrenalin has worn off for Carter, Richards, Umberger, with Jones and Meyer soon to follow.

30 wins at present with 31 games left. I'm not sure they're gonna make it to 42.

Sobering.
That's crazy-talk.

Old
01-28-2006, 10:06 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGraveOne
That's crazy-talk.
The Flyers are going to lose 6 or 7 of their last 10 games going into the break.

They are going to have a sub .500 record of January, and maybe an abbreviated February as well.

28 possible points in January. They're going to get 14 of 'em.

We are witnessing a Death Spiral.

Old
01-28-2006, 10:18 PM
sansan

Somebody better put a safety net under all area bridges.

Old
01-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Big Mama*

I think all is lost. There is a certain veteran goaltender that Coach Hitchcock knows and loves. Trade for him and turn your season around.

Old
01-28-2006, 11:58 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC
We are witnessing a Death Spiral.
Go home.

Closed Thread