HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal to join Rangers at year's end?...Sammy speculates

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Davisian

vCash: 500
To me, it depends on the makeup of the 7 D on the Rangers roster when Staal's season ends.

If it's the same 7 there now... Welcome to the NHL Marc..

Old
01-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Edge

Quote:
but Amonte and Weight were a year older than Staal when they came up and I'd argue that it's an easier transition from college to the pros, and easier for a forward, instead of a defenseman.
I dunno it depends on how you wanna look at it really. Marc has gained some incredible experience this year and wasn't too far off from having a strong case to stay in the NHL back in training camp.

From an age perspective, Marc will be around 20yrs, 4months if he came up for the playoffs (maybe a little older0. My comparison, Amonte was around 20 years and 7-8 months so not really a huge difference.

Quote:
Look, I wanted to see Staal get at least another preseason game to see if he could work out some kinks - and thought hey, it's a rebuilding year, would it be out of the question to play him for up to 10 games to see how he handles things? But I'm trying to be a bit realistic - the bunch this team has now will not be here by the time Staal's season ends, most likely. And hopefully, for the Rangers, they will be in the thick of a playoff hunt (and possibly not having a seed sewn-up, and even if they did, they'd be jockeying for position). I just don't see Renney risking what the organization's worked 8 years to get a look-see (not saying I'm totally against it, just trying to weight-in a bit of reality).
I'd understand that if the team had a strong defense per say, but when you've got names like Rosival and Strudwick out there, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. I think Staal is NHL ready and I think could be a useful sixth defenseman even for this team. Now if it doesn;t happen I won't be upset at all, but I think it's a idea worth thinking about.

Old
01-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Fletch

Edge...

Staal just turned 19 this month, so the difference between a 19 year, 4 month kid and a 20 year 7 month kid is more than the 1 1/4 the math does, in my opinion. That's a lotta development.

I agree that perhaps Marc is different, and as I mentioned, I wanted to see more of him earlier in the season (and honestly, can't say if he's NHL-ready or not at this point). But I'm talking generalities. I think it's easier for a young, speedy winger to come in than it is for a big, stay at home defenseman. It's done, but it's not the most common thing going.

But remember, I'm trying to put a bit of realism into the equation, which is where I base much of my opinion on where he would go. One part being that I do not believe the 6 guys that are on the blueline will be the same 6 that will be there come the time Staal's team finishes. Further, I'm trying to get inside Renney's head. There are 5 defensemen for which I don't think Renney would substitute in Staal. The sixth is Strudwick (who, I believe, is mostly there for toughness (i.e., fighting) which goes away in the playoffs, rendering him a bit less useful). I think that sixth spot will be filled by then - be it by Pock, or via a trade.

I'm not very opposed at all - it's a win/win either way he goes (although I'd rather see 20 meaningful minutes in Hartford than 7 in the NHL at this point). But at the same time, there's little wrong with him jumping into Hartford, getting 20 minutes per night because he's a stud, playing the playoffs, and starting his NHL career in the Fall. I'd love to see him play in front of my eyes, but can wait until September.

Old
01-27-2006, 11:15 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I dunno it depends on how you wanna look at it really. Marc has gained some incredible experience this year and wasn't too far off from having a strong case to stay in the NHL back in training camp.

From an age perspective, Marc will be around 20yrs, 4months if he came up for the playoffs (maybe a little older0. My comparison, Amonte was around 20 years and 7-8 months so not really a huge difference.

I'd understand that if the team had a strong defense per say, but when you've got names like Rosival and Strudwick out there, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. I think Staal is NHL ready and I think could be a useful sixth defenseman even for this team. Now if it doesn;t happen I won't be upset at all, but I think it's a idea worth thinking about.
I want Staal up for the playoffs and not the other way around where people are hesitant to bring him up because the Rangers would be fighting for playoff position. This defense is not set and is not too strong. I feel that Staal would be just as good or better than Strudwick, Rozsival, and Malik. At times during this season even though Rozsival as a +/- of +20, he still has been awful to watch and thats a problem. Same with Malik, he could playing great one game but then the next you see the speed of the game hurting him. Strudwick hasnt been too bad but isnt overly skilled or at least Staal is just a better defenseman than him IMO. The speed of the game sometimes hurts him but not too often. I think Staal should be brought up to the Rangers because other than Pock who do they have as another option if someone were to get hurt or someone is just plain playing bad? The next guy in line is Baranka but he is not ready. Baranka is what 20? And thats the difference between a prospect like Baranka and Staal. Baranka needs the development period before coming up to the Rangers, whereas Staal doesnt really that much more development. And by the end of his Sudbury season he might improve his game even more from where it is now which again isnt far off from the NHL. I think I'd call up Staal right now if they could because again there defense has shown there weaknesses which are not enough offense and not enough size. Staal brings both along with a 2-way game. Again if Baranka was ready then I wouldnt be so quick to rush Staal up even if I do think he ready because you have Baranka behind Pock on depth chart, but Baranka isnt ready which is where the problem is.

Old
01-28-2006, 03:50 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Staal just turned 19 this month, so the difference between a 19 year, 4 month kid and a 20 year 7 month kid is more than the 1 1/4 the math does, in my opinion. That's a lotta development.

I agree that perhaps Marc is different, and as I mentioned, I wanted to see more of him earlier in the season (and honestly, can't say if he's NHL-ready or not at this point). But I'm talking generalities. I think it's easier for a young, speedy winger to come in than it is for a big, stay at home defenseman. It's done, but it's not the most common thing going.

But remember, I'm trying to put a bit of realism into the equation, which is where I base much of my opinion on where he would go. One part being that I do not believe the 6 guys that are on the blueline will be the same 6 that will be there come the time Staal's team finishes. Further, I'm trying to get inside Renney's head. There are 5 defensemen for which I don't think Renney would substitute in Staal. The sixth is Strudwick (who, I believe, is mostly there for toughness (i.e., fighting) which goes away in the playoffs, rendering him a bit less useful). I think that sixth spot will be filled by then - be it by Pock, or via a trade.

I'm not very opposed at all - it's a win/win either way he goes (although I'd rather see 20 meaningful minutes in Hartford than 7 in the NHL at this point). But at the same time, there's little wrong with him jumping into Hartford, getting 20 minutes per night because he's a stud, playing the playoffs, and starting his NHL career in the Fall. I'd love to see him play in front of my eyes, but can wait until September.

You know what you're right, I screwed up the math on that one

Having said that, I think Staal could do it. I think his game is steady enough that it won't really be a problem. But again I really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. While I think he could probably handle it, if they decide against it I'm fine with that as well.

Essentially I dont think it's a far fetched concept.

Old
01-28-2006, 06:33 AM
patnyrnyg

By the time his junior season is over, hopefully the Rangers have enough of a cushion that making the play-offs is not the issue, rather what seed they will earn is the question. If that is the case, let Staal get some playing time with the big club. I'm not saying give him 20 minutes a night, but 2-3 shifts per period wouldnt hurt and he is good insurance for an injury.

Old
01-28-2006, 06:36 AM
Fletch

I agree Edge...

the last seven seasons still has me jaded in the sense that I just couldn't see a 19 year old coming to a team in the midst of a playoff race, as well as playing in the playoffs. This team won't even try Pock in for more than one game, even though in his one game he played with speed and provided a bit of offense, while not being any worse on defense than several others. This while being content with Strudwick, whose usefulness has significantly diminished in the past 4 or so weeks as his foot speed (or lack thereof) has become very apparent. And despite Rozsival's +20 something, we all have seen him play and realize that he's responsible for more goals against (and PPs against) than he's responsible for thwarting a goal (and he may be there because he's a right hander). So there's room right now, there's at least one guy down in Hartford who has played one nice NHL game and seemingly is putting up AHL points, and isn't getting a shot - so I'm jaded as to the possibility of Staal getting that shot, especially given the timing and possibility that this team will either be jockeying for playoff positioning, or fighting for one of the last two or three spots.

I won't be upset if I see him in the lineup, that's for sure. I am still surprised that he was sent down so quickly. Perhaps he could've advanced his play in the NHL. I now think that the defense was pretty much set with the guys they had and he was going to have an extremely hard time cracking the lineup, as Renney wanted to focus on those guys he wanted on the team to really begin the season early. And perhaps that's why the Rangers got off to a fast start, having a roster mostly set early.

We'll see where this one goes. I'd be happy either way. If not the NHL and its playoffs right now, the AHL and its playoffs isn't a bad jump, and hopefully that gives the organization a measuring stick for training camp so he would get a more serious look.

Old
01-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Fletch

party..

there will not be enough cushion. There may be cushion in that it would be hard for them to screw-up the playoffs, but I doubt they'd have home ice sewn up - or they can always fight for the division, which I also doubt will be sewn up.

Old
01-28-2006, 06:52 AM
dedalus

Quote:
This team won't even try Pock in for more than one game, even though in his one game he played with speed and provided a bit of offense, while not being any worse on defense than several others.
No they won't. And it has been a month now since Renney said he might have a look at Genoway, Immo, and/or Dawes.

Old
01-28-2006, 07:12 AM
shoothepuck

He'd gain experience either in Hartford or NY. If the need for a D man comes up on these two clubs, (which it should as evidenced by the current players), then he should get a shot.

Old
01-28-2006, 08:53 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
No they won't. And it has been a month now since Renney said he might have a look at Genoway, Immo, and/or Dawes.
I think it is silly not to think that while no major prospects may be traded, that Renney and Sather do not have the playoffs squarely in their sights. As such, we can forget about having a look at anyone from Hartford, barring a serious enough injury.

Old
01-28-2006, 09:37 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I think it is silly not to think that while no major prospects may be traded, that Renney and Sather do not have the playoffs squarely in their sights. As such, we can forget about having a look at anyone from Hartford, barring a serious enough injury.
I don't mind that their sights are set on the playoffs; that's reasonable enough given their position in the standings. What I mind is that they've apparently given over any traditional type of a rebuilding in favor of the playoff quest. A rebuilding team would be looking to move Rucchin, Straka, Rucinsky, and/or Strudwick in order to secure players for the future. The Rangers seem to have little taste for such a move, and it's getting to the point where they might not be able to anyway. One would think they'd need to know what they have on the farm before moving a player from the big club, but they don't seem terribly rushed to see what they have down there.

We'd better hope that we have most of what we need for the '08 Rangers because it looks like Sather isn't going to be stockpiling youth and picks.

Old
01-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Fletch

I agree somewhat, dedalus...

but you using and/or makes me agree wholly. The model of rebuilding is tough. With youth solidified througout the organization in the bottom two lines, with one under 25 defenseman, and with one top 6 forward under 25, I'd say that's a good start to the rebuild. Of course there's an under 25 year old stud goalie too. Also, a guy like Sykora, if he can turn it around, isn't 35. Now you get to the other of the top 6 (the other four) and you have four guys around 35, and would like to rotate one or two out quickly, replacing at least one, ideally, from within, and the other with a 30 or under guy, while retaining your prospects and adding a couple more through the draft. While the rebuild hasn't been perfect, and absolutely could be better, it hasn't been bad either. Of course the rebuild looks great (or is ignored because the team is winning and the organization has been able to hype up some young players) because the team has had that great goaltending, and has had the league's number one scorer. That's not bad, and it has made things easier.

Of course, in some areas, they've fallen short. With the team struggling for offense and seemingly lacking a centerman, an Immonen, as threatened by Maloney, would've been called. Kondratiev (now departed) perhaps doesn't sit as much. Prucha doesn't go to the AHL, and doesn't get stuck on a fourth line getting 7 minutes per night. As well, Pock doesn't come up, not play, and then play one decent game and go down. I do understand the logic (and perhaps do not agree). It was important for Renney to get off to a good start (hence, Jagr 25 minutes, and little time for Prucha and others). That enabled Renney, in his mind, to give Prucha a greater role (coupled with a Rucinsky injury - but the question was, did a rebuilding team need Straka, Nylander, Rucinsky, Jagr and Rucchin - five of the top 6, four through free agency - built somewhat like the past). Of course in a true rebuild, youth playing comes before the wins (can't imagine if Jagr wasn't a monster what this team looks like - we owe a lot to him - I mean a real lot). It was a rebuild gamble, a calculated one at that, and it paid off. Kudos to them. Let's see where they go from here.

Old
01-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Noonan25

I feel you will start seeing Immonen soon and Dawes

Old
01-28-2006, 10:25 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
I don't mind that their sights are set on the playoffs; that's reasonable enough given their position in the standings. What I mind is that they've apparently given over any traditional type of a rebuilding in favor of the playoff quest. A rebuilding team would be looking to move Rucchin, Straka, Rucinsky, and/or Strudwick in order to secure players for the future. The Rangers seem to have little taste for such a move, and it's getting to the point where they might not be able to anyway. One would think they'd need to know what they have on the farm before moving a player from the big club, but they don't seem terribly rushed to see what they have down there.

We'd better hope that we have most of what we need for the '08 Rangers because it looks like Sather isn't going to be stockpiling youth and picks.
I disagree. A rebuilding team in a playoff race would not trade the key players like Rucchin, Straka, Rucinsky, and/or Strudwick nor would the trade there prospects at the deadline just to make the playoffs so they could end a 7 year drought. Thats what a rebuilding team would do.

I agree with Noonan that we'll see Dawes or Immonen soon. Hopefully both, but if I had to choose one it would be Dawes being that he is the leading point getter in Hartford.

Old
01-28-2006, 10:42 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Kudos to them. Let's see where they go from here.
I think this is the key, Fletch. The team and its fans must be flexible about this.

In the pre-season many of us felt that the various acquisitions would prove useful in a grand selling of age for youth, rather like the one at the last deadline. Given the team's sucess, trading away all those vets (Rucchin, Strudwick, Nylander, Straka, Rucinsky) isn't practical and is even unfair to players who have bought so well into the coaching.

BUT there doesn't need to be a wholesale movement of players in order to aid the future. IMO the team could still afford to move a pair of these players and still have its chance at the playoffs. In doing that, the present remains in decent shape and the rebuilding moves forward, although not at the pace we might have once thought likely.

Without a couple of moves like that, the team is announcing that it's accepting the status quo, and that's disappointing. It could be worse; they could be eating their young as they did in the bad old days, and yet settling for things as they are is just that: settling. They are moving in neither direction but rather sitting and waiting to see what develops.

Old
01-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Fletch

We're in total agreement, dedalus...

I keep flip-flopping on the likely candidate(s), mostly between Rucchin and Rucinsky. One may desire Ruccin's leadership, and playoff experience, and he's an insurance policy against Betts, who's oft-injured (of course that reliance may be mitigated if they saw an Immonen play). Rucinsky's just been bad since returning from his injury - I remember about one game in which he was good since. Do you hold him hoping to get the guy you had before the injury, or try to see what's out there for him.

Having said all that, I would be a bit disappointed if a prospect is traded for another rental-type (another Kondratiev for a guy looking for a change of scenery). I'm not debating that trade - just that that's what I don't want to see again - and hopefully there aren't too many more available, underachieving Czechs out there that Sather feels would thrive in the western Czech Republic.

Old
01-28-2006, 12:00 PM
True Blue

Quote:

I agree. Though I keep advocating it, I do not expect Sather to sell ANY of the vets. In fact, once Betts is healthy, I expect Moore to be moved to wing and Hollweg to become permanently scratched.
Shame, this team has a ways to go and while success is great, all steps should be taken to help the future. But it is rather doubtfull that they will be.

Old
01-28-2006, 12:32 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Shame, this team has a ways to go and while success is great, all steps should be taken to help the future. But it is rather doubtfull that they will be.
Tough to trade guys unless they had given a look to Immonen, Helminen or Dawes when Betts went down.

I never saw the downside of giving at least one of these guys a chance for 3 or 4 games.

Old
01-28-2006, 12:55 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Tough to trade guys unless they had given a look to Immonen, Helminen or Dawes when Betts went down.

I never saw the downside of giving at least one of these guys a chance for 3 or 4 games.
Agreed with you as well, K. Right after the Betts injury, Immonen should have been given a look-see. Or even Helminen. It's almost like Renney does not want to see if he has a better choice becuase then he will either have to send down a player who can contribute better than those on the current roster or face a hard choice of benching or trading a vet like Rucchin. Seemingly, the head-in-the-sand approach is being used.
Rebuild...shmebuild......What kind of a rebuilding team is afraid to use players from the minors who can do the job that the vets are doing?
Yes, this is a rebuilding team, but it is far from a true rebuild. And I fear that the teams success may have convinced the powers that be of the same thing that a good amount of posters on this board seem to be convinced of. That one fire-sale is sufficient for a rebuild to occur.

Old
01-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Kitsune

The way the Wolves are playing right now is incredible, and if they keep this up they wont miss the playoffs and could go very very deep into the playoffs.....

Old
01-28-2006, 02:16 PM
BlackRanger

good hard work

Old
01-28-2006, 02:27 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Agreed with you as well, K. Right after the Betts injury, Immonen should have been given a look-see. Or even Helminen. It's almost like Renney does not want to see if he has a better choice becuase then he will either have to send down a player who can contribute better than those on the current roster or face a hard choice of benching or trading a vet like Rucchin. Seemingly, the head-in-the-sand approach is being used.
Rebuild...shmebuild......What kind of a rebuilding team is afraid to use players from the minors who can do the job that the vets are doing?
Yes, this is a rebuilding team, but it is far from a true rebuild. And I fear that the teams success may have convinced the powers that be of the same thing that a good amount of posters on this board seem to be convinced of. That one fire-sale is sufficient for a rebuild to occur.
You know whats sad, dumping some of these guys would probably HELP the playoff run.

Old
01-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Edge

I think the Rangers are doing a pretty good job. It's a delicate balance between disrupting team chemistry and working in more youth but this team has a lot of young players playing important roles already including Tyutin, Lundqvist, Prucha, Moore, Hollweg and Betts.

I think the moves out will probably make more sense during the offseason and not during the last bit of this season. Rucchin still might be moved and I think a kid still might get a call. But the question is is worth it move a kid or two up this year or try to give the young kids we currently have a taste of a playoff hunt and a playoff series so that they want it.

I don't particuarly think there is anyone in Hartford who HAS to be in the NHL right now. This is still a team which could as many as four rookies seriously challanging for a spot on next years team.

Old
01-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Lets see.......

Betts goes down and the Rangers trade for Sykora who has fit in very well on this team.

Immonen should be given a shot but how can you call for that? You want even project him as a future 2nd line player.

What rebuilding team has almost NO major injuries? Who are you to say one fire-sale isn't enough for a suffcient rebuild to succeed? Did Larry Brooks say that or is that your opinion?

This team is rebuilt TB just look at the standings and the prospects that we haven't seen yet.

Closed Thread