HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft '17

Old
12-04-2016, 03:04 PM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Right now, none but later on at the deadline who knows(Hopefully no one is injured). I still would like to see another center. Keep Wennberg on the 1st line, 2nd line would be new guy(or New guy goes to the top line and Wennberg goes to the 2nd), Dubinsky to the 3rd, and Karlsson to the 4th(this part I hate). Then have Sedlak as the extra body. Only thing is, what number 1/2 centers will be available? Hanzal is one but the asking price was high a month ago and I don't think he's any better the Dubinsky on the 2nd line.

Would it be best to let the team grow together like they are right now in the playoffs? Yes. Would it be better to let the young guys get experience? Again yes but I will admit, I'm a sucker for trades(same with free agency) which is why I suggested trading the 1st at the deadline. Maybe Bjorkstrand/Milano improves and them getting the call ups might be the only moves they make(addition within the organization).
Building a team through free agency and buying at the TD are not good things to do.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2016, 06:05 PM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

not all of these trades were made AT the deadline, but they all played crucial roles in their teams winning the Cup

2016: Hagelin to Pittsburgh
2015: Vermette to Chicago
2014: Gaborik to Los Angeles
2013: Handzus to Chicago
2012: Carter to Los Angeles
2011: Kelly/Kaberle/Peverley to Boston

buying at the TDL is certainly a thing that Stanley Cup winners do

WannabeFinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2016, 06:39 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeFinn View Post
not all of these trades were made AT the deadline, but they all played crucial roles in their teams winning the Cup

Very good point WannabeFinn - and we are certainly not so good that we couldn't upgrade a position or two - this city needs a winner now, and for years to come to keep hockey viable. I also agree with Puckaholic, we are going to create the foundation of our club through the draft & development of prospects. I still think that Zherdev, Brule and Filatov could have been great had they not been rushed -

what would we have on our front line if Jacub Voracek had not been given up on so early

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2016, 06:44 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

We are not in the same position as those teams. Also, while we aren't perfect, we don't have any needs and it would be foolish to give up something of value for something that isn't guaranteed. Right now, who would you want to replace with someone we traded for? I can think of one or two, because of their contract, but they aren't the ones who would be replaced. The only trade I would make is for a young player who could be a part of our core going forward.

Old
12-04-2016, 08:31 PM
major major

I don't see any obvious holes to fill.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2016, 09:27 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

It's premature to discuss deadline deals because at present we have no holes. As the season goes on and things shake out, holes will become evident. Then plans can be made.

Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2016, 10:31 PM
CBJSlash

The only thing I see us in the market for (barring injuries) is a right handed faceoff winning center. Probably for the 4th line. Shouldn't break the bank. Think a Letestu type.

We don't have any good options on the right dot at the moment in critical situations.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2016, 07:38 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
The only thing I see us in the market for (barring injuries) is a right handed faceoff winning center. Probably for the 4th line. Shouldn't break the bank. Think a Letestu type.

We don't have any good options on the right dot at the moment in critical situations.
Which center do you stop playing if you make that trade?

Old
12-05-2016, 07:45 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Sedlak, probably.

Old
12-05-2016, 09:14 AM
alphafox

Quote:
We are not in the same position as those teams. Also, while we aren't perfect, we don't have any needs and it would be foolish to give up something of value for something that isn't guaranteed. Right now, who would you want to replace with someone we traded for? I can think of one or two, because of their contract, but they aren't the ones who would be replaced. The only trade I would make is for a young player who could be a part of our core going forward.
I would agree. At this point, I just can't see where we make a realistic trade. We still need a #1 center that fits with our window to contend (as much as I like Wennberg he is not a dominant force in the center of the ice...yet.). That is not happening unless we make a move with Murray, which would open a hole in the D. I can see trading Jenner if he heats back up again and regains his value, but if he regains his 30 goal form do we really want to move him? And if he doesn't regain that form what is his value?

Bottom line we aren't going to be able to make the high end upgrades we need because what we nee are young stars that can grow with the team. We have the youngest and most promising top pair in the NHL in Werenski-Jones. Bob is still young for a goalie and seems to have made the right changes to get back to healthy peak form. The forward corps is essentially three good quality second lines and a great energy line. The moves we need to make would be to add a 1st line Wing to go with Atkinson and either replace or push down Jenner or Upgrade one of Dubinsky/Karlsson to a 1st line quality Center. All of these trades essentially require at least one of Murray and/or Jenner if not both. The only realistic option that I can think of would be a swap of Murray for a young blue chip forward.

Last edited by alphafox: 12-05-2016 at 09:38 AM.
alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2016, 09:18 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Sedlak. Like the player, but if we are making a run in the playoffs. I'd prefer someone with more experience down the middle that can win the draws on the right dot and play the PK (and win draws there too).

A Letestu type.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2016, 02:16 PM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
Sedlak. Like the player, but if we are making a run in the playoffs. I'd prefer someone with more experience down the middle that can win the draws on the right dot and play the PK (and win draws there too).

A Letestu type.
Not only someone who can win faceoffs, but someone who we can rely upon to play more than 7-8 minutes a night unlike Sedlak.

Or even better than just replacing Sedlak, if we acquired a guy like Hanzal to play 2/3C which bumps Karlsson down to 4C, we'd be a REALLY good looking team.

Old
12-05-2016, 07:42 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Sedlak, probably.
Yeah, he is about the only guy. I like the way he is playing though.

Old
12-06-2016, 06:55 AM
CBJ Bob
Summer Time Blues

If we're picking around 20 and Cal Foote is still on the board do we take him or pass?

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2016, 07:03 AM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
If we're picking around 20 and Cal Foote is still on the board do we take him or pass?
Why would we pass??

Old
12-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Why would we pass??
Bitterness towards his father?

Depends on who else is available, really. The sins of the father do not concern me in that regard.

Old
12-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Double-Shift Lasse
Just post better

Quote:
Not only someone who can win faceoffs, but someone who we can rely upon to play more than 7-8 minutes a night unlike Sedlak.

Or even better than just replacing Sedlak, if we acquired a guy like Hanzal to play 2/3C which bumps Karlsson down to 4C, we'd be a REALLY good looking team.
Yeah but if Karlsson continues to play well with Hartnell and Anderson, why would you bump him just because? Even if the team did acquire Hanzal (or someone similar) I'd be looking to slot him in where Sedlak plays. That said, TDL stuff is almost as premature as '17 draft stuff. So much can/could happen. Which is not to say you all shouldn't carry on.

Old
12-06-2016, 08:01 AM
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time

Who's the projected 30th pick? (Or 31st. Is LV drafting this year? I'd assume so.)

Just kidding. But honestly we need another center. Dubinsky isn't going to last forever, we may lose Karlsson, and as I've stated before I don't feel Dubois is a center in the NHL.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg10 View Post
as I've stated before I don't feel Dubois is a center in the NHL.
He prefers playing center, the CBJ want him to play center, he's statistically better at center than at wing, will play at least another year in development league at center...

You may very well be right in the end, but what rationale is behind that feeling?

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Jaxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg10 View Post
Who's the projected 30th pick? (Or 31st. Is LV drafting this year? I'd assume so.)

Just kidding. But honestly we need another center. Dubinsky isn't going to last forever, we may lose Karlsson, and as I've stated before I don't feel Dubois is a center in the NHL.
I was also wondering when they would pick. LV will be third in the draft lottery and pick no lower than sixth overall. They will pick third in each round thereafter.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2095359

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2016, 04:42 PM
hardkorejackets

vCash: 678
After banking on Bjorkstrand to play in the NHL this year, I'm trying to stop "banking" on certain players being ready. I'm just going to continue to watch their development. I do like our recent strategy of sending kids back to juniors and the AHL to help their development if their not ready. One just needs to look at the Vancouver Canucks and Jake Virtanen issue to like our recent development path.

But, I think at this point in the year, people are starting to be a bit concerned that PLD still isn't even averaging a PPG in the QMJHL. That said, at least Kevin Stenlund has taken a step forward in his development in the SHL this year.

hardkorejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2017, 03:08 PM
EspenK

4 to watch

Quote:
28. (22) Dmitri Samorukov, D, Guelph (OHL) A hard hitting blueliner who loves the physical game.

arrowup 29. (31) Sasha Chmelevski, C, Ottawa (OHL) A bright spot (13 points in 14 games) on an under-performing team.

arrowup 30. (HM) Stelio Mattheos, C, Brandon (WHL) With the injury to Nolan Patrick more has been placed on Brandon’s other draft-eligible middle man.

arrowup 31. (HM) Jake Oettinger, G, Boston University (NCAA) The Terriers freshman starter boasts a save percentage in the .945 range.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...ings-november/

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2017, 03:28 PM
RDriesenUD

I always believe in drafting BPA, but especially where we are now. I think we need a goaltender in the third round or later, but that's about it.

Old
01-01-2017, 03:40 PM
hockey17jp
Lets Go Jackets!

I'm liking Urho Vaakanainen just because I want Rimer to stumble over that name every single night.

hockey17jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Tulipunaruusu*

Quote:
I always believe in drafting BPA, but especially where we are now.
We've had things our way so long that maybe they have gotten on way of us being... just people.

Tulipunaruusu* is offline   Reply With Quote