HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Poti...

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 04:40 PM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Tom Poti...

this is not the usual tom poti thread, i have to say, after watching 5 games this season, poti defintely has worked hard over the summer and realized he must play a more physical game in the east in order to be somewhat successful as a defensemen

I saw him make at least 2-3 hits in the last game, and he defintely has started using his body more than previously, im not sure if this is just going to be a temporary thing because he still loves to use the poke check, but if he can continue to use his frame to his advantage and just make smarter passes as oppossed to his 2 to 3 turnovers a game i will be much happier with him then i ever imagined

he defintely has not been afraid to make a hit when needed thus far this season and that is really all that i can ask of his defensive play (except on the turnovers), but has anyone else noticed he has been better physically as oppossed to last year?

Old
10-22-2003, 04:42 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
this is not the usual tom poti thread, i have to say, after watching 5 games this season, poti defintely has worked hard over the summer and realized he must play a more physical game in the east in order to be somewhat successful as a defensemen

I say him make at least 3 hits in the last game, and he defintely has started using his body more than previously, im not sure if this is just going to be a temporary thing because he still loves to use the poke check, but if he can continue to use his frame to his advantage and just make smarter passes as oppossed to his 2 to 3 turnovers a game i will be much happier with him then i ever imagined

he defintely has not been afraid to make a hit when needed thus far this season and that is really all that i can ask of his defensive play (except on the turnovers), but has anyone else noticed he has been better physically then previously?
I have but he's still terrible defensively, never in front clearing the crease, always chasing a forward or the puck around. He still uses his stick too much and plays soft for the most part but there has been some improvement with his aggression. He's starting to win me over though, his offensive game is better then I ever gave him credit for.

Old
10-22-2003, 04:46 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
I have but he's still terrible defensively, never in front clearing the crease, always chasing a forward or the puck around. He still uses his stick too much and plays soft for the most part but there has been some improvement with his aggression. He's starting to win me over though, his offensive game is better then I ever gave him credit for.
I dont know, i saw him work over a few canes pretty good in the crease the other day while on the rangers were on the pk. he is still extremely suspect defensively, but just the fact that he is trying to play a physical game makes him a better defensemen, every opposing player in the league knew previously that to beat tom poti you just had to skate through him or go wide since he was not going to make a hit on you, and if you protected the puck from his stick check u were in good shape

By using his body along w/ the stick check he is a much better defensemen, now an adam foote... i dont think so, but im not so horrorified as i was of him on the PK last year and against teams top lines

Old
10-22-2003, 05:07 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
I dont know, i saw him work over a few canes pretty good in the crease the other day while on the rangers were on the pk. he is still extremely suspect defensively, but just the fact that he is trying to play a physical game makes him a better defensemen, every opposing player in the league knew previously that to beat tom poti you just had to skate through him or go wide since he was not going to make a hit on you, and if you protected the puck from his stick check u were in good shape

By using his body along w/ the stick check he is a much better defensemen, now an adam foote... i dont think so, but im not so horrorified as i was of him on the PK last year and against teams top lines
I didn't watch the Cane game so I was really basing it off what I saw from the first 3 and part of the Florida game.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Oh joy! The "heir" is finally concentrating on his defense! And in the meantime, Poti has a total of 9 shots (yes, two goals, although one was real soft, and NO ASSISTS)--the same as Holik and Malakhov. The Rangers powerplay is the only one in the league to have NO goals! Not to mention that only two defenseman on the Rangers have assists in any situation.

Yep, I'm sooooo happy we've found our reliable defensive defenseman.

Old
10-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Barnaby

Poti is a good player, but he'll never be a star. I like the guy. I just think he's held to a higher standard cuz everyone liked York so much.

Old
10-22-2003, 07:59 PM
KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Poti is a good player, but he'll never be a star. I like the guy. I just think he's held to a higher standard cuz everyone liked York so much.
I agree

Old
10-22-2003, 10:30 PM
BLACKBURN

I dont aree with you Barnaby. The guy has star potential -

GREAT skater
Great stickhandler, especially on the rush
Solid shot (as shown in the FLA game)
Elite vision ad passing ability
Hes just beautiful to watch when rushing the puck!

All the makings of a great forward. I think over time hell iver pick up defensive or be forced out, hes has time, now he needs to show hes adequete at both ends of the ice.

Old
10-23-2003, 03:45 AM
Fletch

Poti's playing well...

although it's funny to hear some of the Poti complaints considering people want Poti to be able to consistently do things well that Leetch often has trouble with, but Leetch gets a pass. Leetch...clear a crease? Leetch is a chaser, and is easy to deke. Maybe if Poti was traded for soemone other than York he'd be under less of a microscope.

Old
10-23-2003, 04:49 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I just think he's held to a higher standard cuz everyone liked York so much.
Speaking personally, my bias against Poti is that his addition to this team made NO FREAKIN' SENSE! The worst defensive team in the league acquires the 2nd worst defensive defenseman (all hail Sandis Ozolinsh) in the league? I mean, in who's mind does that seem like a good fit? Can anyone answer that question!?!?!?!?!

Old
10-23-2003, 05:03 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Speaking personally, my bias against Poti is that his addition to this team made NO FREAKIN' SENSE! The worst defensive team in the league acquires the 2nd worst defensive defenseman (all hail Sandis Ozolinsh) in the league? I mean, in who's mind does that seem like a good fit? Can anyone answer that question!?!?!?!?!
Glen Sather.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:38 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
when poti was acquired the rangers were getting almost no production from the blueline except for leetch...everyone talked about how they had too many offensive defensemen but the 'offensive' didn't mean offense it meant repulsive...scoring-wise they were one of the worst...

so poti was got to add offense and he did that...so this is the part that people don't seem to understand, poti was brought here to add offense and he has done that, yet people blame him for not doing something that he was never expected to do...

the REAL problem on the rangers blueline are the guys who are bad at both ends...malakhov, mironov, and kaspar play like crap defensively and then don't score, poti atleast offsets his problems by scoring...

lots of teams have purely offensive minded dmen like poti...the difference though is properly run franchises (ie not the rangers) don't make those guys face the other team's top line or kill 5 on 3s AND surround the guy with solid defensive dmen, not with other offensive dmen...stick poti on colorado and no one would say anything about his defense because the avs would be smart enough to play him in situations that maximize his strengths instead of emphasising his weakness

Old
10-23-2003, 05:59 AM
Laches

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
when poti was acquired the rangers were getting almost no production from the blueline except for leetch...everyone talked about how they had too many offensive defensemen but the 'offensive' didn't mean offense it meant repulsive...scoring-wise they were one of the worst...

so poti was got to add offense and he did that...so this is the part that people don't seem to understand, poti was brought here to add offense and he has done that, yet people blame him for not doing something that he was never expected to do...

the REAL problem on the rangers blueline are the guys who are bad at both ends...malakhov, mironov, and kaspar play like crap defensively and then don't score, poti atleast offsets his problems by scoring...

lots of teams have purely offensive minded dmen like poti...the difference though is properly run franchises (ie not the rangers) don't make those guys face the other team's top line or kill 5 on 3s AND surround the guy with solid defensive dmen, not with other offensive dmen...stick poti on colorado and no one would say anything about his defense because the avs would be smart enough to play him in situations that maximize his strengths instead of emphasising his weakness
---I think the problem is more that lack of production from the blueline wasn't all that big a issue, if it was an issue at all. Malakhov and Berard chipped in with decent offensive years, 28 and 23 points respectively. Only 8 teams scored more goals than the Rangers the year Poti was acquired. The problem was that they couldn't stop anybody, only Atlanta gave up more goals than the Rangers. Given that the Rangers were one of the most defensively-inept teams in the league, it seemed pretty silly for Sather to trade his only marketable asset for a defenseman who can't play defense. It's hard to play Poti in a situation that maximizes his strengths because the Rangers do not have the personnel to do that. There are no Adam Footes on the Rangers. There are few forwards that backcheck. Thus, Poti's positional cluelessness is frequently on display, and he gets a lot of flack for it, some of which he deserves, the rest is more appropriately directed at Sather.

The other thing that always got to me about that trade is that part of Sather's justification for trading for Poti was that the Islanders wanted him too, and when he found out about it, he said he couldn't let it happen. Of course, Sather had no problem sitting back and watching Aucoin, Niinimaa and Hamrlik go to the Island, but Poti, nope, couldn't let it happen.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:22 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I only have one problem with Tom Poti. The fact that he pinches WAY too much. He is constantly speeding up the left wing and taking most of the time, a bad angle shot. I understand hes not good defensvily but i can live with that since thats simply not the type of player he is, altough im seeing some improvement there. Ask me now, would i have traded York for him? same answer as the day we did.. NO. It did land us Dunham last season though.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:28 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

For me it all went down hill with Smith trading Zubov so we could get Ulfie, thinking that'll help us beat the flyers & Devs in the playoffs. Obviously, that didn't work out, and i don't fault Smith too much, i see the angle he was taking, plus Zubov deserved to be a first line player, not in Leetch's shadow - but couldnt we have gotten some better(younger) players???

I like Poti's offensive instincts, he just needs serious coaching with his overall game..... but is he capable of learning? Does he have the desire to get better? We'll see....

All that said, it's tough not having Yorkie, he's one of my faves.....

Old
10-23-2003, 09:00 AM
Fletch

Wasn't it more than that?

I've heard two versions. One was Smith wanted Ulf, for toughness, and wanted to get rid of Nedved. PITT wanted to get rid of Robitaille, so Zubov and Robitaille had to be included.

The other version was that Campbell did not like Zubov, or his game, and that did him in (personally, if a coach of Campbell's caliber says that, I'm dumping Campbell).

Old
10-23-2003, 09:03 AM
Fletch

Don't like Poti pinching?

why not..isn't that his job? Isn't that what's made Leetch so good, joining the rush? Only difference was that Leetch had Beuk or Ulf hanging back, and maybe even a forward, like a Larmer or somebody. Unfortunately on this team, you can't be an offenseman effectively, I guess.

Closed Thread