HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Advanced Stats Thread Episode IV: A New Hope For Advanced Stats

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2016, 08:03 PM
eperry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Gave a real read of the PSO article. Don't have hard evidence, but based on what was shared it's worthless.

Disclaimer: ML isn't really my area of CS, and stats really isn't my area of math.

That said, one of the reasons I dislike the ML field is because of how much buzzwordy it is. People go "oh, ML is the cool new thing, so let's just blindly use some standard library to solve all our problems" and then go and come up with things like this. It's not that I don't think ML can be applied in effective ways to hockey, because I do. It's just that it requires some careful thought.

For instance, if you're throwing in four hundred dimensions into your model, it is almost certain that some of them are going to be correlated (and in fact, I guarantee you that a number of these dimensions are pairwise correlated in extremely trivial ways). Now you're solving an optimization problem where the solution space isn't unique. So given different initial locations and velocities, you'll likely get different weights. Notice that calculating the weights was only ran once. But because the dimensions are linearly dependent, there are multiple "correct" convergences. There are a few interesting pieces of data that aren't included in the blog post; one might be to show the actual weights of each dimension. Then run it multiple times and compare. The multi-colinearity can be addressed by PCA or something, but honestly, better off with aggressive feature selection. So many features just seems rife for overfitting to me.

The model is then evaluated on its training data, which is a worthless judgment. Obviously it's going to converge so that the training set is fulfilled; it took those exact pairwise comparisons as the reason to weigh the different features in the first place! It's circular. The test dataset has to be different from the training dataset.
Glad you liked it.

Old
12-10-2016, 05:40 AM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by eperry View Post
Glad you liked it.
I'm sorry. That was obviously inappropriately framed for direct feedback and was unfair for me to project my frustrations with the ML "industry" as a whole on you.

Old
12-10-2016, 11:12 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac n Gs View Post
I wonder if Manny isn't getting hired because of his outspoken views regarding other topics, which quite frankly, is a load of a horse crap if that's what's holding him back from getting an NHL job. Guy's a really, really good mathematician/statistician.
What outspoken views?

Old
12-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Raspewtin
Fire Clowneault

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
What outspoken views?
On twitter (which is his main platform) he speaks on politics a lot.

12-10-2016, 02:22 PM
PlamsUnlimited
The Juice is Loose

vCash: 919
I'm probably stupid but I was thinking about something. Is there a way to track shots in certain areas? By this I mean tracking "danger level". Like for example, someone shoots a low danger shot but inside of a high danger zone. If anyone gets what I mean. Or ripping a howitzer shot from a low danger area.

Old
12-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Machinehead
You needa Chytil out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
On twitter (which is his main platform) he speaks on politics a lot.
Tim Thomas got a job in the NHL

Thank you for the fish, Dan Girardi!
Old
12-10-2016, 06:32 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Tim Thomas got a job in the NHL
It's wrong, but I've heard from multiple people in the show that you can't be a dick on Twitter. Not saying anyone is or isn't a dick on Twitter, but you can't be one. They said that all the guys who you think don't have Twitter accounts have them, and they are looking. Those guys being GMs, other FO people.

I went back a full calendar year and had to delete like 200 tweets criticizing the Rangers

EDIT - It's wrong meaning how much weight that seemingly goes into being a "good person" on Twitter in terms of if you want an NHL job.

Old
12-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Mac n Gs
Gorton plz

Pretty much, which again sucks, because Manny's a really smart guy and provides a lot of useful information.

Now to rear us back on topic, Cody Ceci's being mentioned again. Why? He's bad both via the eye test and stats.

Old
12-10-2016, 06:46 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Pretty much, which again sucks, because Manny's a really smart guy and provides a lot of useful information.
I believe quite firmly that there are probably over 50 hockey people I follow on Twitter that I'd take over anyone in the Rangers FO right now.

Quote:
Now to rear us back on topic, Cody Ceci's being mentioned again. Why? He's bad both via the eye test and stats.
See what I mean?

Old
12-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Mac n Gs
Gorton plz

Who would be your top choice to hire?

Old
12-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Irishguy42

Quote:
Manny

Old
12-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Machinehead
You needa Chytil out

Manny's article is great but I'm confused by his use of expert agreement. Isn't the "expert" hivemind something we're trying to avoid?

30 out of 30 GM's would tell you Can Fowler is a great player. Every regular in this thread and Manny himself would tell you the opposite.

Old
12-10-2016, 08:03 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishguy42 View Post
Manny
Manny, Micah, DTM About Heart (I forget his real name), Tierney, Carolyn Wilke, Jack Han.

Some really smart people doing some really great work. I'm forgetting so many. I'd also really love to steal Wiseman from the NWHL. That guy DEFINITELY rebuilt the Riveters this off-season with analytics in mind. Their defense is 6 big-bodied puck movers.

I'd take Fratkin off the Rivs and put her next to McDonagh right now.

Old
12-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Machinehead
You needa Chytil out

Machinehead ^^

Old
12-10-2016, 08:25 PM
an Girar i

Erik Karlsson is a 46.8% possession player and he's dead even in terms of corsiRel. So they're basically the same team without him on the ice. He's also an anchor to Marc Methot.

Methot without: 53.5
Karlsson without: 47.3

What does one Draw from that? Just a bad stretch? Numbers misleading?

Old
12-10-2016, 08:35 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Gs View Post
Erik Karlsson is a 46.8% possession player and he's dead even in terms of corsiRel. So they're basically the same team without him on the ice. He's also an anchor to Marc Methot.

Methot without: 53.5
Karlsson without: 47.3

What does one Draw from that? Just a bad stretch? Numbers misleading?
Sample size

Let's trade for Zach Redmond.

Last edited by silverfish; 12-10-2016 at 09:17 PM..
Old
12-10-2016, 09:19 PM
an Girar i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjee View Post
Sample size

Let's trade for Zach Redmond.
lol. come on man...

Redmond's sample size: 32 events
Karlsson's sample size: 1100+ events...

your comparing apples to avocados there

I agree with you about the Methot anchor part. Methot's only spent 60 minutes away from Karl. And, Karl is a much better player. But, it's just hard to justify those raw and rel numbers 1/3 of the seasons over already.

Old
12-10-2016, 09:25 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Gs View Post
lol. come on man...

Redmond's sample size: 32 events
Karlsson's sample size: 1100+ events...

your comparing apples to avocados there

I agree with you about the Methot anchor part. Methot's only spent 60 minutes away from Karl. And, Karl is a much better player. But, it's just hard to justify those raw and rel numbers 1/3 of the seasons over already.
Wait, what?

The 'Sample Size' and the 'Let's trade for Redmond' were two very different thoughts in the same post. Karlsson/Redmond have nothing to do with one another

Old
12-10-2016, 09:41 PM
an Girar i

my fault then I thought u were trying to use Redmond as an example for sample size problem like Karlsson, obviously not much of a comparison as i pointed out

Old
12-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Mac n Gs
Gorton plz

Incoming tweet storm from Sportlogiq. Interpret this however you want:

Old
12-11-2016, 03:44 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
It's wrong, but I've heard from multiple people in the show that you can't be a dick on Twitter. Not saying anyone is or isn't a dick on Twitter, but you can't be one. They said that all the guys who you think don't have Twitter accounts have them, and they are looking. Those guys being GMs, other FO people.

I went back a full calendar year and had to delete like 200 tweets criticizing the Rangers

EDIT - It's wrong meaning how much weight that seemingly goes into being a "good person" on Twitter in terms of if you want an NHL job.
Why is it wrong?

Old
12-11-2016, 03:58 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Gathers View Post
Why is it wrong?
I don't think you should be potentially disqualified from job positions because you post political beliefs or have conversations with other people on Twitter where you... prove them wrong(? - not exactly sure how to word that).

I get why people are turned off by that, and I get why tweeting things like: "Dan Girardi is a piece of **** and sucks at hockey" shouldn't be tweeted, but qualified people are being passed over for these reasons.

Old
12-11-2016, 04:00 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Quote:
I don't think you should be potentially disqualified from job positions because you post political beliefs or have conversations with other people on Twitter where you... prove them wrong(? - not exactly sure how to word that).

I get why people are turned off by that, and I get why tweeting things like: "Dan Girardi is a piece of **** and sucks at hockey" shouldn't be tweeted, but qualified people are being passed over for these reasons.
I think that if you make it known that you are an ******* and use your on name out there in showing that you're an ******* that it is disqualifying to a number of employers. Saying someone is a "piece of ****" on Twitter is a great way to make yourself look like a "piece of ****".

If you want to say obnoxious things about folks, then do it anonymously. There's a reason I don't use my Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook to start trouble. They are heavily monitored by employers, industry folks, and everyone else under the sun.

Old
12-11-2016, 04:03 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Gathers View Post
I think that if you make it known that you are an ******* and use your on name out there in showing that you're an ******* that it is disqualifying to a number of employers. Saying someone is a "piece of ****" on Twitter is a great way to make yourself look like a "piece of ****".

If you want to say obnoxious things about folks, then do it anonymously. There's a reason I don't use my Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook to start trouble. They are heavily monitored by employers, industry folks, and everyone else under the sun.
Right, that was just an extreme example. In the past, I've tweeted things like: Girardi is bad, here's a reason why. After conversations with people in the show, I was told that tweets like that are frowned upon. If I'm looking for a job with the Rangers, and ******** on the Rangers, well, that's not going to be looked upon highly.

The example in the previous post was extreme. The one in this post is reality.

And I get it, I do, but I don't agree with it.

Old
12-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Quote:
Right, that was just an extreme example. In the past, I've tweeted things like: Girardi is bad, here's a reason why. After conversations with people in the show, I was told that tweets like that are frowned upon. If I'm looking for a job with the Rangers, and ******** on the Rangers, well, that's not going to be looked upon highly.

The example in the previous post was extreme. The one in this post is reality.

And I get it, I do, but I don't agree with it.
Yeah, but Manny curses all over his Twitter and he's generally kind of a dick. I don't get how he thinks he looks presentable or professional at all. He looks like an angry kid who needs to put down his phone now and then. I like what he presents, but that is the exact kind of stuff that is a HUGE turnoff to any potential employer.

Closed Thread