HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Advanced Stats Thread Episode IV: A New Hope For Advanced Stats

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2016, 04:20 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Gathers View Post
Yeah, but Manny curses all over his Twitter and he's generally kind of a dick. I don't get how he thinks he looks presentable or professional at all. He looks like an angry kid who needs to put down his phone now and then. I like what he presents, but that is the exact kind of stuff that is a HUGE turnoff to any potential employer.
Well, I'm not sure if Manny's ultimate goal is even to get hired, and then if that's the case, then who cares, right? But, I've had nothing but great interactions with Manny, who has helped me countless times with R programming and data viz ideas. I think if my Twitter account was as popular, and had to deal with half the **** that he has to on a daily basis, then I'd get a little riled up every now and then, too.

The real hypocrisy, though, is that these same teams who aren't hiring him for his attitude on Twitter (let's say) are probably loading Corsica.Hockey every day. I'd all but guarantee the Rangers as one example probably have 0 database of their own where all these stats are held. Jim Sullivan probably loads Corsica 5x a day. You won't see the Rangers hiring Manny anytime soon, though.

He's providing a ridiculous resource to the advanced stats community through only the benefits of those kind of enough to support in on Patreon, and that is surely not anywhere near the amount of people that are hitting that website every day.

Point of this post: If there's anyone on Twitter who we should let slide and allow to be a dick sometimes, it should be him

Old
12-11-2016, 04:25 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjee View Post
Point of this post: If there's anyone on Twitter who we should let slide and allow to be a dick sometimes, it should be him
Nah, there are people out there getting death threats on the regular and ****. The worst he has to deal with is Girardi fans.

Old
12-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Greg02

If I were an NHL team wanting to become data driven, I think the first thing I'd do is hire a bunch of kids to watch games and create data.

Old
12-11-2016, 04:55 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
If I were an NHL team wanting to become data driven, I think the first thing I'd do is hire a bunch of kids to watch games and create data.
Pretty much.

Hire R/Python expert to scrape all games and build interactive database (like a Corsica). Then their job is to maintain and conduct analysis.

Hire three more people to watch and track every game that happens every night.

Old
12-12-2016, 12:26 PM
an Girar i

Travis Hamonic is a worse possession player than Dan Girardi this year.

That's actually mindblowing.

Old
12-12-2016, 12:33 PM
SA16
Sixstring

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure if Manny's ultimate goal is even to get hired, and then if that's the case, then who cares, right? But, I've had nothing but great interactions with Manny, who has helped me countless times with R programming and data viz ideas. I think if my Twitter account was as popular, and had to deal with half the **** that he has to on a daily basis, then I'd get a little riled up every now and then, too.

The real hypocrisy, though, is that these same teams who aren't hiring him for his attitude on Twitter (let's say) are probably loading Corsica.Hockey every day. I'd all but guarantee the Rangers as one example probably have 0 database of their own where all these stats are held. Jim Sullivan probably loads Corsica 5x a day. You won't see the Rangers hiring Manny anytime soon, though.

He's providing a ridiculous resource to the advanced stats community through only the benefits of those kind of enough to support in on Patreon, and that is surely not anywhere near the amount of people that are hitting that website every day.

They may be loading Corsica.hockey every day because it takes 15 mins to load the data you want. And then it crashes and you try again. Good data. Good presentation. Good interface. Terrible servers apparently.

Old
12-12-2016, 12:35 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
They may be loading Corsica.hockey every day because it takes 15 mins to load the data you want
It's a free resource (if you don't support on Patreon). Why would he dump any of his own money for it to load faster?

Also, this was a problem, but I haven't had this problem in a while

Old
12-12-2016, 12:36 PM
SA16
Sixstring

Quote:
It's a free resource (if you don't support on Patreon). Why would he dump any of his own money for it to load faster?

Plenty of other websites are free resources - particularly almost every other hockey analytics one - and never have this issue. I use his mostly because it's more comprehensive but it's one insanely frustrating site to use.

Old
12-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

I use the site sparingly, but most of the issues aren't related to servers when I do get errors. He's doing an awful lot of weird stuff on that site from a development standpoint, and that's before I even get into the backend. I get that it's just a glorified wrapper for rstudio, but sheesh.

Old
12-12-2016, 12:52 PM
Mac n Gs
Gorton plz

So nothing on the data from Sportlogiq on the prior page?

Old
12-12-2016, 01:18 PM
an Girar i

Russian Startup Sells Moneyball System to New York Islanders

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...york-islanders

Quote:
A Russian startup selling an analytics platform for ice hockey has signed teams from the National Hockey League and Sweden’s top division, in a sign that big-data “Moneyball"-style management is advancing in one of its last unconquered major professional sports.

Old
12-12-2016, 01:20 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Gs View Post
So like PitchFX but for hockey?

Very cool.

Old
12-12-2016, 01:23 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

12-12-2016, 01:24 PM
an Girar i

Quote:
So like PitchFX but for hockey?

Very cool.
Quote:
Iceberg’s platform includes several cameras that can be carried in a suitcase and installed at any stadium within minutes, and software that uses computer vision to identify and track players. Its algorithms then gauge about 500 metrics for players and their interaction -- including actual skating speed for the first time -- and recommends the optimal selection of players.
Sounds like what the NBA uses with SportVU.

Can track almost anything with that.

Old
12-12-2016, 01:27 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Sounds like what the NBA uses with SportVU.

Can track almost anything with that.
Issue here is, though, that they are starting from 0. How long until they have actionable insights? How will they get the data for the other 29 teams in the league outside of when those teams are playing the Islanders?

Old
12-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Irishguy42

Let's see if the Rangers can keep up their recent play. They've gone four games in a row at 50+ CF%

Hope the trend continues.

Last edited by Irishguy42: 12-12-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old
12-12-2016, 01:30 PM
an Girar i

Quote:
Issue here is, though, that they are starting from 0. How long until they have actionable insights? How will they get the data for the other 29 teams in the league outside of when those teams are playing the Islanders?
The Islanders probably aren't really that concerned about the 29 other teams, just theirs, and the insights that the product can reveal to help them improve their own team.

They obviously have ideas of what they wanna track internally and this product can eliminate a lot of hard 'manual labor'.

Old
12-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Machinehead
You needa Chytil out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
It shows you can in fact be good at other things. And we are, and that's great, but it still holds you back.

Thank you for the fish, Dan Girardi!
Old
12-12-2016, 02:07 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
The Islanders probably aren't really that concerned about the 29 other teams, just theirs, and the insights that the product can reveal to help them improve their own team.

They obviously have ideas of what they wanna track internally and this product can eliminate a lot of hard 'manual labor'.
Well what if they want to make a trade. And they say, well, De Haan skates at an average speed of 12 parsecs per hour, how does he compare to Kevin Klein?

They'll have no idea.

Something like this, I'd say, could make a team subjectively rank their own players higher than they actually are because they know so much more about them than opposing team's players. In the sense that the Islanders really can't use any of this black box data in trades, outside of knowing who on their own team they want to trade, and not knowing at all who they want to trade for.

Old
12-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Mac n Gs
Gorton plz

Wonder if it'll help them track how deep they're sinking into cap hell with the Clutterbuck, Ladd, and Boychuk contracts

Old
12-12-2016, 02:51 PM
nyr__1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac n Gs View Post
Wonder if it'll help them track how deep they're sinking into cap hell with the Clutterbuck, Ladd, and Boychuk contracts
You forgot Czikas...

Old
12-12-2016, 03:46 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Ryan McDonagh has the 3rd worst SA% in the league among d-men with 500 minutes or more at 5v5. 46.81%. He owns the 8th worst relSA% in the league in the same sample, +0.11%

In 153 minutes of 5v5 time away from Girardi, McDonagh's SA% is 55.6%.

At 300 minutes or more, Dan Girardi has a 13th worst -5.63 relSA%. His 42.8% SA% is the league's 5th worst.

Bounce. Back. Season.

Old
12-12-2016, 03:59 PM
Mac n Gs
Gorton plz

Quote:
Ryan McDonagh has the 3rd worst SA% in the league among d-men with 500 minutes or more at 5v5. 46.81%. He owns the 8th worst relSA% in the league in the same sample, +0.11%

In 153 minutes of 5v5 time away from Girardi, McDonagh's SA% is 55.6%.

At 300 minutes or more, Dan Girardi has a 13th worst -5.63 relSA%. His 42.8% SA% is the league's 5th worst.

Bounce. Back. Season.
Nah, we've played 4 straight games with a 50+ CF%, so this is clearly Lundqvist's fault. Am I doing this right?

Old
12-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Irishguy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac n Gs View Post
Nah, we've played 4 straight games with a 50+ CF%, so this is clearly Lundqvist's fault. Am I doing this right?
Hold on, let me check my manual for the appropriate narrative here...

Old
12-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Machinehead
You needa Chytil out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishguy42 View Post
Hold on, let me check my manual for the appropriate narrative here...

Closed Thread