HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injury Timelines (No Longer being Updated. Sorry)

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Miller Time NYR

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic Fridge View Post
You really aren't watching the games if you think that. Clendening gets confused on regular things like teams cycling behind the net and next thing you know he's out of position.

Girardi makes stupid plays, as i said but even he knows when to pick his spots on routine plays.
Most won't but I agree with this, clendening may be much better as far as skating and moving the puck but Girardi is better from a defensive standpoint. Too keep the post on topic we all know if G is healthy he's playing over Clendening, I don't understand why people continue to ***** about it it's about as sure a thing as the sun rising. So the healthier G is the better.

Old
02-13-2017, 07:34 AM
What Door
Arnold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time NYR View Post
Most won't but I agree with this, clendening may be much better as far as skating and moving the puck but Girardi is better from a defensive standpoint. Too keep the post on topic we all know if G is healthy he's playing over Clendening, I don't understand why people continue to ***** about it it's about as sure a thing as the sun rising. So the healthier G is the better.
The problem with this line of thought is that defense and offense are inextricably linked in hockey. If you're very good at moving the puck up ice and shifting the play back to offense, that is in and of itself a form of defense. When you're on offense, the other team has no chance to score.

Looking at purely defending is fundamentally flawed. It ignores the fact that Clendening is so much better than Girardi at moving the puck out of danger that he spends much less time in the defensive zone than Girardi does. All that extra time adds up to more scoring chances against Girardi, which means he's actually a worse defender, even if he is able to "defend" better than Clendening.

It's also why Girardi is one of the best penalty killers on the team. On the PK, the puck is pretty much pinned in your zone for much of the time. And, when you finally get the puck, you can just make the caveman play and ice it without the same penalty that applies at even strength.

Old
02-13-2017, 12:17 PM
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time NYR View Post
Great answer below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Door View Post
The problem with this line of thought is that defense and offense are inextricably linked in hockey. If you're very good at moving the puck up ice and shifting the play back to offense, that is in and of itself a form of defense. When you're on offense, the other team has no chance to score.

Looking at purely defending is fundamentally flawed. It ignores the fact that Clendening is so much better than Girardi at moving the puck out of danger that he spends much less time in the defensive zone than Girardi does. All that extra time adds up to more scoring chances against Girardi, which means he's actually a worse defender, even if he is able to "defend" better than Clendening.

It's also why Girardi is one of the best penalty killers on the team. On the PK, the puck is pretty much pinned in your zone for much of the time. And, when you finally get the puck, you can just make the caveman play and ice it without the same penalty that applies at even strength.
Doesn't matter if he's that much better in his own end if the team is hemmed in that same end of the ice whenever he is on the ice. If you're spending more time there, the calculation of whether or not that defense is conducive to success becomes a net negative solution.

Clendening may not be flashy, or a shot blocking warrior, but when he can get the puck, it's moved quite quickly out of the zone, and as the post above me states, that's a form of defense--actually it's the best kind of defense, because it leads directly to offense.

Girardi's form of "defense" leads to playing MORE defense, more stress on the forwards, and less puck support to get out of the zone. Doesn't sound like much, but more time playing defense means more shots against, which means more tired forwards.

Anyways, Gorton's goal is most likely to move Girardi at 50% retained to avoid the buyout penalties. Can't do that if you're benching him constantly.

Which is unfortunately why Klein will be a casualty. Clendening NEEDS to play. If he's so defensively inefficient, put him up with McDonagh and let McDonagh do ALL of the defensive lifting

Old
03-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Irishguy42

Old
03-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishguy42 View Post
well crap, I guess Buchnevich is back today.

Old
03-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

I hope they don't make any dumb trades because of this

Old
03-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Loffen
Matszerella Cheese

Dropping like flies.

03-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Loffen
Matszerella Cheese

Grabner has a hip injury?

@BrettCyrgalis 13s14 seconds ago
Vigneault says Fast out "2-3 weeks." Klein not quite ready yet. Hopeful on Zibanejad. Kreider should be OK. Grabner "up in air" with hip.

@BrettCyrgalis
Grabner took a crosscheck in hip from Clendening at practice, left early. Vigneault said call-up might be needed for tomorrow. #NYR

Old
03-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Revel
DXer

Thanks Clendo!

Old
03-01-2017, 12:34 PM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Grabner has a hip injury?

@BrettCyrgalis 13s14 seconds ago
Vigneault says Fast out "2-3 weeks." Klein not quite ready yet. Hopeful on Zibanejad. Kreider should be OK. Grabner "up in air" with hip.

@BrettCyrgalis
Grabner took a crosscheck in hip from Clendening at practice, left early. Vigneault said call-up might be needed for tomorrow. #NYR
Wow.... it seems as if this team is imploding at the moment.

Old
03-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Tragic King
Golden King

Is it not obvious that they're starting to sit out guys that have had small injuries nagging them for a while, so that we lose a few games and secure that Wildcard spot? Because it's pretty obvious to me.

Old
03-01-2017, 01:10 PM
HockeyBasedNYC
Back-checking Center

vCash: 1325
The **** is Clendening doing crosschecking his teammate? lol

Old
03-01-2017, 02:07 PM
bl02

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I hope it was just a freak thing and not an egregious hit

Old
03-01-2017, 02:09 PM
bl02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic King View Post
Is it not obvious that they're starting to sit out guys that have had small injuries nagging them for a while, so that we lose a few games and secure that Wildcard spot? Because it's pretty obvious to me.
If that's the case it's the best move that can be made. If zibby, Klein and grabner have had nagging injuries let them sit out another week or two. Hayes probably isn't right after coming off the knee injury

Old
03-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Quote:
If he can't play, no one will

Old
03-01-2017, 03:52 PM
Nick of Time
Cat Bowser rocks!

This stinks. Not a good time for guys to start getting banged up and injured.

03-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
First nasty move a Ranger has made this season and its Clendening....against his own teammate.

I would assume an accident but its also excellent timing with everyone else getting hurt too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Humphrey View Post
If he can't play, no one will
LOL

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
-Col. Sanders
Old
03-02-2017, 05:59 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Practice hard. Play hard.

That's how it should be.

Old
03-02-2017, 10:14 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick of Time View Post
This stinks. Not a good time for guys to start getting banged up and injured.
Believe it or not, I think it's good. Get these things out of the way now. They're all short term.

I know there's no statistical logic in this. It's more of a feeling that these things happen this way.

Old
03-02-2017, 10:16 AM
Nick of Time
Cat Bowser rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Believe it or not, I think it's good. Get these things out of the way now. They're all short term.

I know there's no statistical logic in this. It's more of a feeling that these things happen this way.
Yeah that is a good point, I just worry they will linger into April. But there is a good month or so left before the playoffs.

Old
03-02-2017, 03:07 PM
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

we have enough of a cushion. Arguably, the injuries almost help tank us into the 1WC spot in the standigns

Old
03-02-2017, 03:07 PM
bl02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

agreed . they are gonna happen sooner or later better now with over month left until playoffs.

Old
03-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

I never quite understood the reasoning behind, "Its better they get hurt now rather than later".

It doesn't really make much sense.

Old
03-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Irishguy42

I'd rather our players get hurt...never?

But if I had to choose between the beginning of March or the beginning of April, I'd choose the beginning of March. No question.

Old
03-09-2017, 05:49 PM
Revel
DXer

Time for the occasional bump to the 1st page. Injury table up to date.

Closed Thread