HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visiting Fan's Guide to Nashville & other local areas & Parking Updates II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2017, 12:45 PM
  #76
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 9,412
vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I have been thinking of driving down for the eclipse. My info says that Hopkinsville, KY is near the center line of totality.The Land Between the Lakes is mostly in the path of totality. Coming from Milwaukee, I want to be north and west of Nashville.
I read that people started booking hotels in Hopkinsville several years ago for this.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2017, 02:29 PM
  #77
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I read that people started booking hotels in Hopkinsville several years ago for this.
Yes, that is true. I was thinking about staying in Bowling Green or even Elizabethtown. It would make for a shorter drive back to my home.

My alternative is southern Illinois or Indiana, areas that I know less about than Nashville or Bowling Green.


Last edited by adsfan: 02-26-2017 at 02:50 PM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2017, 08:12 PM
  #78
belle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I have been thinking of driving down for the eclipse. My info says that Hopkinsville, KY is near the center line of totality.The Land Between the Lakes is mostly in the path of totality. Coming from Milwaukee, I want to be north and west of Nashville.
Land Between the Lakes could be pretty fantastic. There's not a lot of city barriers (like power lines) to interfere with the viewing. It's closer to Milwaukee than Hoptown. You can get there through Paducah. I didn't realize there was access through Paducah until a barge took out a bridge. Map Quests only alternative to the cabin we rented was through Paducah.

belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2017, 09:50 PM
  #79
Adz
Eudora Wannabe
 
Adz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hermitage TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,121
vCash: 500
It's an eclipse...I'm sorry, I know it's a total eclipse and we haven't had one here in my lifetime, but I guess I just figured you found a treeless spot outside and looked up.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 04:26 AM
  #80
belle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
It's an eclipse...I'm sorry, I know it's a total eclipse and we haven't had one here in my lifetime, but I guess I just figured you found a treeless spot outside and looked up.
I thinking treeless spot without power lines, cell phone towers,

belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 06:52 AM
  #81
shoeshine boy
Registered User
 
shoeshine boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
thanks Nashville for another fantastic weekend! final tally for the weekend was 2 free Frostys, 2 free Dunkin' Donuts coffees and a free Big Mac.

one note: I've never before said anything bad about Bridgestone but the seats in the 300's are too. damn. small! my skinny friends were complaining about how tight they were! I will never again sit in the upper deck of this arena.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 07:56 AM
  #82
Preds33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 8,953
vCash: 500
I didn't realize an eclipse was such a big deal that we had people booking spots years in advance.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 09:10 AM
  #83
Adz
Eudora Wannabe
 
Adz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hermitage TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
thanks Nashville for another fantastic weekend! final tally for the weekend was 2 free Frostys, 2 free Dunkin' Donuts coffees and a free Big Mac.

one note: I've never before said anything bad about Bridgestone but the seats in the 300's are too. damn. small! my skinny friends were complaining about how tight they were! I will never again sit in the upper deck of this arena.
I hear that.

I moved from there because they were so tight (among other reasons). Felt like I was in a strait jacket! I was kind of worried when they were changing the seats in the club level where I moved to but those in mine actually seem a little wider and maybe an inch or two shorter so people can get by easier.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 08:12 PM
  #84
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I didn't realize an eclipse was such a big deal that we had people booking spots years in advance.
It is a total eclipse of the sun. They are rare. The next one is in 2019 in the South Pacific. The totality tracks are narrow. It can happen over in Africa just as easily as the US. Remember that the oceans cover 71% of our planet. I suppose that you can have a solar eclipse that doesn't run over any land.

This is similar to the June 1918 eclipse from Washington to Florida.


A lunar eclipse can be seen over half the planet. A lot more people see one.


Last edited by adsfan: 03-01-2017 at 08:19 PM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 08:17 PM
  #85
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I hear that.

I moved from there because they were so tight (among other reasons). Felt like I was in a strait jacket! I was kind of worried when they were changing the seats in the club level where I moved to but those in mine actually seem a little wider and maybe an inch or two shorter so people can get by easier.
This makes me glad that we sat in Section 204 last year. The seats seemed roomy.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 02:03 PM
  #86
Tunez33
Registered User
 
Tunez33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 719
vCash: 500
Alright predators fans, im in Nashville now, here until Tuesday. What places do I have to hit up before I leave? Recommendations on bars? We're all college age

Tunez33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 02:33 PM
  #87
Mustard
Registered User
 
Mustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 341
vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I read that people started booking hotels in Hopkinsville several years ago for this.
I'm from Hoptown. I remember hearing that all of the hotels were booked when I was in like 8th grade. This was 10? years ago.

Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 02:37 PM
  #88
Mustard
Registered User
 
Mustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 341
vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
I'm from Hoptown. I remember hearing that all of the hotels were booked when I was in like 8th grade. This was 10? years ago.
Granted, we only have like 5 real hotels outside of the 400 year old $18 a night crack hotels. The city is marketing this event like CRAZY and my parents told me they expect over a million people coming through that week.

..It'll be interesting for sure. My parents work at the hospital and they're thinking about making all of the non-emergency/weekly staff work triage. Interesting times for my little town.

Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 03:02 PM
  #89
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 9,412
vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunez33 View Post
Alright predators fans, im in Nashville now, here until Tuesday. What places do I have to hit up before I leave? Recommendations on bars? We're all college age
Depends on what you're looking for and where you're staying if it matters. The tourist/out of town/"famous" spots are on Broadway between 1st and 5th avenues near the arena. (2nd Avenue between Broadway and Church has stuff too). I'd imagine if you're only in town once that would be somewhere to go. Especially being a hockey fan you might want to go to some of the bars down on Broadway on Saturday night because we play the Blackhawks that night and that will be.......a scene to say the least. The arena is in the middle of that district and big game nights can get crazy and Hawks fans invade Nashville.

There are local college-aged kids in Hillsboro Village and Midtown because that's near Vanderbilt and a couple other schools. Five Points area in East Nashville maybe. The Gulch......

Whatever the case, they're all at least easily accessible by Uber and no one area is that far away if you're staying pretty centrally located.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 05:45 PM
  #90
Adz
Eudora Wannabe
 
Adz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hermitage TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,121
vCash: 500
Okay, besides the bars which, if you're a first time visitor to Nashville you MUST SEE...

If you're into architecture, and even if you're not be sure to go see the Parthenon--at night especially but you might want to see it in the daytime too. Just take my word on this.

If you like gothic revival architecture there is an interesting church over near Vanderbilt. Scarritt Bennett's Wightman Chapel looks like something straight out of England--like a little St. Paul's Cathedral or Canterbury or something. Also there is a church designed by William Strickland with Egyptian Revival architecture (Downtown Presbyterian). It is considered a masterpiece. Doesn't look like much on the outside...inside is another story.

And of course you'll want to see the Ryman Auditorium, which is right off Broadway and the Naked People statue at the Music Square Roundabout. I forget its real name, everyone calls it that. If you like Art Deco, stop in and see the Frist Museum. Used to be the main post office and it was renovated in the original style. It's right next to Union Station, now a hotel but it has maintained a lot of its original charm from when it was a train station. While you're there, head into the Flying Saucer Draught Emporium and start earning yourself a plate on the wall.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 01:24 AM
  #91
sparkle twin
Don't draft me brah!
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunez33 View Post
Alright predators fans, im in Nashville now, here until Tuesday. What places do I have to hit up before I leave? Recommendations on bars? We're all college age
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post

If you like gothic revival architecture there is an interesting church over near Vanderbilt. Scarritt Bennett's Wightman Chapel looks like something straight out of England--like a little St. Paul's Cathedral or Canterbury or something.
Tunez I'm going to assume you're from Pittsburgh.... The scarritt Bennett tower always kind of reminded me of a very mini cathedral of learning and the inside of the chapel kind of reminds me of Heinz chapel.

You can go to Piranha's on 3rd ave. and get primanti sandwiches. You might be able to catch the pens game Friday night if they don't have a band playing.




Spend one day/night bar hopping at the honky-tonks up and down Broadway.

I think seeing the Ryman and the Parthenon are 2 things you should definitely do before leaving.

Also, it should be pretty nice this weekend, head over to the walking bridge to get some good photos of the city and the riverfront.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 08:00 AM
  #92
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 9,412
vCash: 344
It's shocking that I've lived in Nashville for.....about 10 of my 14 years since becoming an adult and I've done almost zero things here that are recommended as spots to see for visitors.

You name it, I've probably never been.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 08:34 AM
  #93
FossilFndr
Registered User
 
FossilFndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
It is a total eclipse of the sun. They are rare. The next one is in 2019 in the South Pacific. The totality tracks are narrow. It can happen over in Africa just as easily as the US. Remember that the oceans cover 71% of our planet. I suppose that you can have a solar eclipse that doesn't run over any land.

This is similar to the June 1918 eclipse from Washington to Florida.


A lunar eclipse can be seen over half the planet. A lot more people see one.
I'll never forget as a kid my Boy Scout troop went to south Georgia (from Atlanta) to the Okefenokee Swamp for a camp out and the solar eclipse of March 1970, watching the animals react to the event was our main goal. Had shared a tent with my best buddy Kirk. We were taken home late Sunday after the event. The next morning I got a call from Kirk's family letting me know that he would not be on the school bus, he had a cerebral hemorrhage that night and had died. If it happened the night before we would have been in a tent together. Obviously a eclipse trip I'll never forget. Or a friend.

Though I'm not in the perfect epicenter this time the track is sufficient so I can just look up to see this one. FWIW you do not need to be in a country or park location, if you can see the sun you can see the eclipse. Not like a meteor shower.


Last edited by FossilFndr: 03-03-2017 at 09:37 AM.
FossilFndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 02:44 PM
  #94
Adz
Eudora Wannabe
 
Adz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hermitage TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilFndr View Post
I'll never forget as a kid my Boy Scout troop went to south Georgia (from Atlanta) to the Okefenokee Swamp for a camp out and the solar eclipse of March 1970, watching the animals react to the event was our main goal. Had shared a tent with my best buddy Kirk. We were taken home late Sunday after the event. The next morning I got a call from Kirk's family letting me know that he would not be on the school bus, he had a cerebral hemorrhage that night and had died. If it happened the night before we would have been in a tent together. Obviously a eclipse trip I'll never forget. Or a friend.

Though I'm not in the perfect epicenter this time the track is sufficient so I can just look up to see this one. FWIW you do not need to be in a country or park location, if you can see the sun you can see the eclipse. Not like a meteor shower.
I remember that one, too--certainly not for the same reasons. How horrible. I have to wonder if the eclipse affected him somehow, but it was probably just a coincidence. We went outside to watch it with our makeshift backwards cameras (made of paper, as I recall) so we wouldn't look at it directly. I have no recollection of who was with me nor whether it was at home or school.

Of course that is the one where "someone" (ahem Warren Beatty, Carly says, but dang I was sure that was going to be Mick Jagger) went to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun.


Drake, you should definitely go see the Parthenon. You don't even have to go inside, just go to the park and look at it.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 04:01 PM
  #95
FossilFndr
Registered User
 
FossilFndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 500
I now regret mentioning it here, but if I ever think of a solar eclipse that is inexorably linked. But still looking forward to seeing the one in August.

Adz you have a pm, wasn't associated with the eclipse at least not directly.

FossilFndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 06:43 PM
  #96
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilFndr View Post
I'll never forget as a kid my Boy Scout troop went to south Georgia (from Atlanta) to the Okefenokee Swamp for a camp out and the solar eclipse of March 1970, watching the animals react to the event was our main goal. Had shared a tent with my best buddy Kirk. We were taken home late Sunday after the event. The next morning I got a call from Kirk's family letting me know that he would not be on the school bus, he had a cerebral hemorrhage that night and had died. If it happened the night before we would have been in a tent together. Obviously a eclipse trip I'll never forget. Or a friend.

Though I'm not in the perfect epicenter this time the track is sufficient so I can just look up to see this one. FWIW you do not need to be in a country or park location, if you can see the sun you can see the eclipse. Not like a meteor shower.
I remember seeing that eclipse on TV, probably on CBS. It got me interested in astronomy along with the space program.

Sorry about your friend. That must have been rough for everyone.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 08:39 PM
  #97
sparkle twin
Don't draft me brah!
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
It's shocking that I've lived in Nashville for.....about 10 of my 14 years since becoming an adult and I've done almost zero things here that are recommended as spots to see for visitors.

You name it, I've probably never been.
Me either. I've been to a couple of the restaurants/bars and places, but the majority I've never been to.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 07:05 AM
  #98
RainierBeat
Foster the People
 
RainierBeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pingtung City
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 3,856
vCash: 500
Are there any good Japanese restaurants that aren't too pricey in Nashville? What about Taiwanese (And I don't mean Chinese, I specifically mean a restaurant that serves basically Chinese cuisine but includes Taiwanese specials).

RainierBeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:54 PM
  #99
Marty Party
@ The Bridge
 
Marty Party's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,101
vCash: 500
The Diner needs time. You can tell it has only been open a week. Slow service because it is understaffed and the people working the bars appear to be new at the whole service concept. The TV's above the bar have a unique choice of channels. We're talking ESPN, NPT, CBS news and just plain not turned on.

Place should be better a month from now. Haven't been to all the floors yet but each appears to offer different food choices.

Marty Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 02:40 PM
  #100
Adz
Eudora Wannabe
 
Adz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hermitage TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,121
vCash: 500
My sister comes up here from Alabama for games and just to visit quite a bit. She's always the one taking ME to the new restaurants because her daughter (who also lives here) is in her late 20's, no kids, and knows these things. Also sis is a foodie and I'm just not.

I will make a case for you locals driving to Donelson for McNamara's. I have never found fish and chips I like better and the other items I've sampled are very good. Corned beef is excellent. Those of you from out of town would like it, too.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.