HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why aren't we forechecking?

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2006, 07:07 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Why aren't we forechecking?

Tonight we made the Ottawa defense look even better than they are. We didnt forecheck at all except for a few times. It's easy the get a play going if no one is in your way. We have trouble getting out of our zone because we always have one or two players forechecking against use making our dmen make quick plays that lead to turnovers. Calgary even used 3 forecheckers. We use one, and that's just sometimes. Gainey and Carbo, we're forecheckers.... why is our team not doing it. If you don't put pressure on the defense you can't create stuff. Plus we do need our defense to take the puck out of their zone faster and are wingers should help out the defense for those outlet passes, they didnt seem to go back to help defense get the puck out.

And if our team is that quick... we should be able to put our faster players on forecheck so they can get back quickly to their zone. I don't know... I'm just getting very sick of not playing agressive hockey.

Old
01-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Marksman

Which is odd considering our two coaches have seven Selke Trophies between them (more if you count Jarvis).

Old
01-27-2006, 07:27 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

When players have given up, and have no motivation, you can ask them simple things like shoot, and they will give you only 12 a game.

Old
01-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Which is odd considering our two coaches have seven Selke Trophies between them (more if you count Jarvis).
The worst part is that those three combined were giving more body check in one game then this whole sissy team in a whole year...
Anyhow I can't conceive that Bob will stay sit on is hand while this team goes down the drain...

Old
01-27-2006, 10:57 AM
lynx

Why are we still dumping it in when we are gettng outshot 33-6?

Old
01-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Bloodline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaculine
Tonight we made the Ottawa defense look even better than they are.
With all due respect. Ottawas' D IS as good as it looked last night. The numbers prove it.

Old
01-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodline
With all due respect. Ottawas' D IS as good as it looked last night. The numbers prove it.
No they aren't. We should have been able to get at least 20 shots on net, and a few decent scoring opportunities. This is probably the first time they rock us this badly.

Old
01-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Bloodline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
No they aren't. We should have been able to get at least 20 shots on net, and a few decent scoring opportunities. This is probably the first time they rock us this badly.
We have a League leading GA of 112. Granted the D aren't the only reason why we lead in this category but it has ALLOT to do with it.

"We should have been able to get at least 20 shots on net, and a few decent scoring opportunities."

No offence but "should" doesn't win games or make the D look better than they really are.

Old
01-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
We have a League leading GA of 112. Granted the D aren't the only reason why we lead in this category but it has ALLOT to do with it.

"We should have been able to get at least 20 shots on net, and a few decent scoring opportunities."

No offence but "should" doesn't win games or make the D look better than they really are.
No but that's why he made the thread asking why aren't our guys forchecking. When I say we SHOULD have I meant that if we forchecked (not even to our full potential) we should have got 20 shots. We shot more than 12 shots the other 4 meetings, so we could have done more obviously... As good as your defense is they aren't capable of keeping teams under 15 shots every game.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Bloodline

Quote:
No but that's why he made the thread asking why aren't our guys forchecking. When I say we SHOULD have I meant that if we forchecked (not even to our full potential) we should have got 20 shots. We shot more than 12 shots the other 4 meetings, so we could have done more obviously... As good as your defense is they aren't capable of keeping teams under 15 shots every game.
Got it. My apologies. I misunderstood. I agree. Thanx for clearing that up.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Got it. My apologies. I misunderstood. I agree. Thanx for clearing that up.
No worries, I think since BG (and basicaly since december) we haven't had more than a game over 20 shots. Pretty horrible when you think about it. Sure we can blame Theodore (and the D) for losing us games, but the offense isn't doing anything to win them.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Jag68Sid87

This team is way less disciplined since Claude Julien was fired. And they forecheck EVEN LESS since Julien was fired, if that was even possible.

During the press conference of his firing, Gainey talked about getting back to the "plan"...which was to develop the younger players. Well, Kostitsyn sits for both ends of a back-to-back at Philly and at Ottawa. Some things never change.

Maybe the BEST thing that could happen to this franchise is losing every game for the rest of the season. Perhaps then the powers that be will come to the conclusion that a lot of us see: The wrong man got fired.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Bloodline

Quote:
No worries, I think since BG (and basicaly since december) we haven't had more than a game over 20 shots. Pretty horrible when you think about it. Sure we can blame Theodore (and the D) for losing us games, but the offense isn't doing anything to win them.
Exactly. Where the problem lies is a mystery. I don't thinkit's the coaches. There is some talent on the team. It's the want that's not there. They should change there salary system to get payed based on performance. That would be incentive.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Exactly. Where the problem lies is a mystery. I don't thinkit's the coaches. There is some talent on the team. It's the want that's not there. They should change there salary system to get payed based on performance. That would be incentive.
Woulda helped out with Kovalev and Theodore. I think it's definitely something the league should look at. How could we possibly have imagined Theo woulda sucked so bad... Not as though it's only happening to the habs. Look at Iginla, Roenick, Sundin etc... Superstars that aren't doing anything and tallying up big money.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Bloodline

Quote:
Woulda helped out with Kovalev and Theodore. I think it's definitely something the league should look at. How could we possibly have imagined Theo woulda sucked so bad... Not as though it's only happening to the habs. Look at Iginla, Roenick, Sundin etc... Superstars that aren't doing anything and tallying up big money.
It will take a coupe of year for teams to adjust to the new NHL. I for one am a big fan of it. Way more exciting. The score are higher which is exciting to watch. I was getting really bored with 1-0, 2-1 games in previous years.

Now if they could only change the icing rule. Too many players get injured beacuse of it. It should be automatic. We lost Bochenski when he was getting hot to such a rule. He's in Binghampton now.

I just hope St-Louis likes him + a prospect enough to land us Weight.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:20 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
This team is way less disciplined since Claude Julien was fired. And they forecheck EVEN LESS since Julien was fired, if that was even possible.

During the press conference of his firing, Gainey talked about getting back to the "plan"...which was to develop the younger players. Well, Kostitsyn sits for both ends of a back-to-back at Philly and at Ottawa. Some things never change.

Maybe the BEST thing that could happen to this franchise is losing every game for the rest of the season. Perhaps then the powers that be will come to the conclusion that a lot of us see: The wrong man got fired.
They are more disciplined. You don't see Kovy doing 2 minutes shift anymore or Ribs for that matter. Granted they didn't forecheck against Ottawa but they did good against Philly.

About the wrong man being fired. I don't care for Julien, I won't knock him , I won't say he did annything wrong, I'm just happy we got an upgrade at the coaching position. Carbo has more credibility in the world of hockey.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaculine
Why aren't we forchecking?

Good question.

I have no explainations why.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
It will take a coupe of year for teams to adjust to the new NHL. I for one am a big fan of it. Way more exciting. The score are higher which is exciting to watch. I was getting really bored with 1-0, 2-1 games in previous years.

Now if they could only change the icing rule. Too many players get injured beacuse of it. It should be automatic. We lost Bochenski when he was getting hot to such a rule. He's in Binghampton now.

I just hope St-Louis likes him + a prospect enough to land us Weight.
Ya the NHL is alot more fun to watch (exept for our team). However I would really love if we could have Incentives. Kovalev shouldn't have been signed for anything over $2.5-3m with incentives we coulda done a contract similar to that ($2.5m/year + $1.5m for 30 goals + $1m for 80pts). I think that if alot of our stars were signed this way, alot less teams would be stuck in a rutt.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Gump_Wamsley

Quote:

Actually, last nights shot total equaled a franchise low for the Habs. The previous record low? Against the Ottawa Senators, 02-03'!!!!!!

Enuff said.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Bloodline

Quote:
Ya the NHL is alot more fun to watch (exept for our team). However I would really love if we could have Incentives. Kovalev shouldn't have been signed for anything over $2.5-3m with incentives we coulda done a contract similar to that ($2.5m/year + $1.5m for 30 goals + $1m for 80pts). I think that if alot of our stars were signed this way, alot less teams would be stuck in a rutt.
Exactly. That would get players going. I've been a fan of this idea for years.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:46 PM
hab

we could usually count on at least a guy like higgins to get in there in the corners, but I didnt even notice him last night. I agree, this is an area they have to get much better at, but teams forcheck and work the hardest when the coaches get them in that mindframe. I dont know what gainey said before the game but he needs a new tactic

Old
01-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump_Wamsley
Actually, last nights shot total equaled a franchise low for the Habs. The previous record low? Against the Ottawa Senators, 02-03'!!!!!!

Enuff said.
Oh god, why did you have to bring up that team. Hahaha. Can you imagine how bad a game of Habs 02-03 vs Habs of late would be? It'd probably be the slowest game ever to be played.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Gump_Wamsley

Quote:
Oh god, why did you have to bring up that team. Hahaha. Can you imagine how bad a game of Habs 02-03 vs Habs of late would be? It'd probably be the slowest game ever to be played.

The 02-03 Habs would win, they didn't have Dandy or Bonk.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump_Wamsley
The 02-03 Habs would win, they didn't have Dandy or Bonk.
Didn't they have Juneau and Dackell though? Or was that 01?

Edit: Ya I remember that season now. Though I might have tried to blank it out We had clowns out there. An old Juneau, Audette, Dackell, Gilmour, Mckay, Kilger, Petrov?, Cwerkawski?, Dykuis? That was a horrible team...

Last edited by Shabutie: 01-27-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old
01-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Gump_Wamsley

Quote:
Didn't they have Juneau and Dackell though? Or was that 01?
In all seriousness (or incredible sarcasm), the 02-03 team could be made up of my Nephew's BB Bantam team, and still beat this years Habs. That's sad.

Closed Thread