HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Question about a trade that didn't happen.

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Dar

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
Question about a trade that didn't happen.

I'm having an argument with another poster over on the Leafs board about the Niinimaa to Toronto trade that almost took place last year. Here's how we both see it:

From what he heard on the radio he's interpreted that:
Kevin Lowe had called regarding a trade for Niinimaa and had requested Tucker. Bill Watters was at the time handling the trade and everything seemed to be good until Pat Quinn stepped in and pulled the offer from the table because he didn't want to trade Tucker.

From what I gather:
Talks between the two teams were originally Tucker (+unamed prospect) for Niinimaa, but when other offers came in from other teams Kevin Lowe called back the Leafs and requested Antropov in place of Tucker in which case the talks stalled, and Lowe subsequently decided that the Islanders deal was the best one left on the table.

What did you guys hear from your end, who's right?

PS. I'd appreciate if this didn't turn into a player bashing, I'm just trying to clear up some facts.

Thanks guys (and gals).

Old
10-21-2003, 12:32 PM
shoyen

Send a message via ICQ to shoyen
From my understanding It was the Antropov idea that you had. I dont think Lowe would ever trade for just tucker in this particular situation (unless the prospect was a very good one like Carlo or Stajan).

Either way, The version that I heard many times was the one that you suggested.

Hope this helps;

Sean

Old
10-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
I'm having an argument with another poster over on the Leafs board about the Niinimaa to Toronto trade that almost took place last year. Here's how we both see it:

From what he heard on the radio he's interpreted that:
Kevin Lowe had called regarding a trade for Niinimaa and had requested Tucker. Bill Watters was at the time handling the trade and everything seemed to be good until Pat Quinn stepped in and pulled the offer from the table because he didn't want to trade Tucker.

From what I gather:
Talks between the two teams were originally Tucker (+unamed prospect) for Niinimaa, but when other offers came in from other teams Kevin Lowe called back the Leafs and requested Antropov in place of Tucker in which case the talks stalled, and Lowe subsequently decided that the Islanders deal was the best one left on the table.

What did you guys hear from your end, who's right?

PS. I'd appreciate if this didn't turn into a player bashing, I'm just trying to clear up some facts.

Thanks guys (and gals).
From what I recall, I think your version of events is more what I remember from last year. Of course it's all just rumour and it may all be wrong, but there was definitely something going on between Toronto and the Oilers last year at the deadline involving Niinimaa. It seemed like the deal was all but done, then BOOM. Something kiboshed it.

I think it died when Antropov's name came up.

Old
10-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Mr Sakich

you will never hear of trade rumours that leek out of the oiler office. With toronto involved, you will get all the news after every phone call so ther may be some truth to this.

Last spring, Lowe said something to the effect "we need a tucker type of player" and I cried myself to sleep for a week. I really don't think this was an actual trade offer, just a conversation. That trade talk may have happened on these boards instead.

Closed Thread