HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Realistically who can challenge the Penguins?

Old
12-14-2016, 12:45 AM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
After watching the Rangers play in last year's playoffs and the regular season vs the Pens, IDK how you can say Lundqvist is as good as Murray. You're just going by his reputation. Pens have the superior C, RW, D, and G.

Pens lack good LW but Sheary is on pace for 60 points and there's also Hagelin and Kunitz so it's not so bad.
I'm one of the most vocal critics against his play. Its been longer than just last year's playoffs. He played like this most of last season.

If he gets back to the level he's played at though, he's one of the best in the game, which Murray could be one day, but he's not likely to get to for another few years.

I think there's a much better chance that Lundqvist will be one of the NHL's best goalies during the playoffs than Murray, though Murray's play this season has been better.

Pavel Buchnevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 12:48 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
They are on a 6 game win streak and are slicing teams like a knife through butter. They are under Montreal for 2nd in the league. However, Montreal has Price at their core. The Pens have Sid,Malkin,Kessel,Letang. Sid has 21 in 23 and only had 1 point in a 7-0 win.

The whole team is strong, and their goal in training camp was to win the Stanley Cup again. If I was a betting person, I wouldn't bet against them from what I've seen so far.

Are there any teams that can realistically compete with the Pens for top dog in the league? Tampa got their ass handed to them in the 3rd last game and it shows that it is very hard to compete with this team for a full 60 minutes.

The Wild are the only team to beat them twice. But I don't see that as the SC matchup with Boudreau as Head Coach.
Historically, and recently I would say that if the Bruins got the wildcard spot at 7th and the Penguins had the 2 spot they could upset them before bowing out in the second round to the Habs. Boston has always had Pittsburgh's number in the playoffs and Bergeron has handled Crosby while Chara had Malkin duties.

Now again, that was a different Bruins team and Rask seems to play his best against Pittsburgh but if you were asking me about anyone stopping them in the East it would be the Bruins.

Second round, the Bruins bow out to the Habs and then the ECF the Habs bow out to the Rangers. That fit the historical context?

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 12:49 AM
Machinehead
Fire Clowneault

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Buchnevich View Post
Who can challenge the Rangers?
I got a list, here's the order of my list that it's in

It goes Pittsburgh, Boston, the Caps, and Philly

LA from the West, Columbus, the Bolts, the Habs, and then me

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 12:51 AM
mikeyp24

Any team that can match speed but play physical with them will win. Some of there guys get frustrated when they have to play physical and let the game slip. Malkin and Crosby both hate playing games they take hit after hit after hit in. So any team that looks that you are likely good to go.

mikeyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 01:03 AM
jasonfilatov

Blackhawks
Rangers

jasonfilatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 01:05 AM
Machinehead
Fire Clowneault

What's all this "Rangers" business? We stink.

Old
12-14-2016, 01:06 AM
Phu

haha the annual jinx post! it's all over now. who can beat the pens? illpucks!

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 02:22 AM
Honey Bear
Fan of Losing Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57special View Post
I don't get how everyone is forgetting Chicago.
The Hawks aren't that good this year. Don't buy into the points. Try watching the team. Hell their goal differential says it all. The best team in the west right now is Minnesota followed by St. Louis then Anaheim. After that it's a jumbled mess of a bunch of teams with too many issues at the present moment.

The biggest challenger from the west is probably going to be Minnesota given that they have beaten them twice already (although that doesn't mean jack **** in a SCF). I think in the end, if the Pens are going to get knocked out of the playoffs, it'll be from someone in the east. Its too early to have this discussion though. We still aren't even close to the halfway point of the season, the trade deadline is still there, and injuries will always play a factor. Too early and premature.

Honey Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 02:25 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
They are on a 6 game win streak and are slicing teams like a knife through butter. They are under Montreal for 2nd in the league. However, Montreal has Price at their core. The Pens have Sid,Malkin,Kessel,Letang. Sid has 21 in 23 and only had 1 point in a 7-0 win.

The whole team is strong, and their goal in training camp was to win the Stanley Cup again. If I was a betting person, I wouldn't bet against them from what I've seen so far.

Are there any teams that can realistically compete with the Pens for top dog in the league? Tampa got their ass handed to them in the 3rd last game and it shows that it is very hard to compete with this team for a full 60 minutes.

The Wild are the only team to beat them twice. But I don't see that as the SC matchup with Boudreau as Head Coach.
The Pens won 6 games in a row? Just give them the cup now! They are unstoppable. If only my lowly Flames could just win 6 in a row......

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 02:33 AM
1mjp

lol there's 4 other teams in their division alone that could. Two of which have better win streaks going on than Pittsburgh. This thread is ridiculous.

1mjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 02:49 AM
Bruce Joker
Professor X

Cbj. Rangers. Montreal. Minnesota. Washington

Maybe San Jose and Chicago but doubtful

That's just at this moment

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 02:53 AM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

6 game win streak? Impressive

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 03:03 AM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesfanyo View Post
No you don't. You have Zucc, Stepan, Kreider, Nash, Zibanejed, and Hayes who are all top six forwards. Vesey is on his way to being a solid player and a top six forward. Also, let's see what happens when Zibanejed goes into a drought or Kreider goes through one of his typical cold droughts. Also, Rick Nash sucks in the playoffs.

That'd be like Pens fans saying they have 9 top 6 forwards because Brian Rust and Kunitz are on their third line.
Miller, Buchnevich and Vesey are all top 6 forwards. They don't need to put up multiple 45-50 point seasons before they can be considered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Yeah - but 15 games ago the Rangers led us by a goal per game (or something like that) and had by far the highest shooting percentages in the league. Seems we're trending in different directions.
We've had a lot of injuries recently. Buchnevich has missed about a month with a bad back, Zibanejad has been out close to as long with a broken leg, Nash has missed time with a groin issue, Vesey missed a game or two with what I think was a wrist issue. Grabner missed a game with a death in his family. I think someone else might've missed a game as well. JT Miller has been playing injured for a few weeks. We've not been close to our best lineup in what must be a month, so our offense has taken a hit.

Last edited by Pavel Buchnevich: 12-14-2016 at 03:14 AM.
Pavel Buchnevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 03:06 AM
Machinehead
Fire Clowneault

The Rangers forward corps is stupid good.

They're keeping us in the playoffs single-handedly.

Old
12-14-2016, 03:10 AM
Kalv
GDT record: 8-3-1

The answer is Fleury

Kalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 03:12 AM
chunkylover53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Buchnevich View Post
Who can challenge the Rangers?
Rangers are riding the unsustainable numbers. If you believe the highest shooting percentage since well... at least to where can find info on shooting percentages (07) then I don't know what to tell you.

chunkylover53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 03:18 AM
EM71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Isn't it a little early for a jinx thread?
THIS. ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
illpucks is the farthest thing from a Pens fan you can find. He just has a weird obsession with posting about the Pens/Crosby.

So I hope people aren't reading this thread as though it's a Pens fan that is boasting. It's essentially a "reverse jinx" thread made by someone who isn't a fan of the Pens.

AND THIS.^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mjp View Post
lol there's 4 other teams in their division alone that could. Two of which have better win streaks going on than Pittsburgh. This thread is ridiculous.

My god people have some of you been living under a rock or something??? I post 0.23 times per day and even I know how much of a huge Capitals fan illpucks is. I would of figured that anyone who posts regularly on this board would of noticed that by now. If he's posting something about the Penguins it's not actually meant to flatter them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
'Member when there was a thread about Montreal winning the cup last year in December and then Price got hurt and they missed the playoffs?

I 'Member.
That's kind of the point of this thread. illpucks is legitimately hoping that posting reverse jinx threads on hf boards is going to somehow make a difference in reality.

EM71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 03:33 AM
Thanatos

Habs are 5-3-2 against Pittsburgh in their last 10 meetings.

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 03:40 AM
Ola

Quote:

I think its tremendously hard to repeat in today's game. Haha, a bold statement would be that there are 29 teams in the league is more likely to win than Pittsburgh.

Jokes aside, I think the marginal in today's game is so small that the toll it takes to play in June just gives a team a too big disadvantage.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 05:37 AM
MacDonald4MVP

Kadri to shutdown Crosby and Matthews to expose Malkin and his weak defense. Or better yet Selke level RNH neuter Crosby and McDavid burn Malkin's village.

MacDonald4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 05:53 AM
JWells16

This ****ing thread.

Off the top of my head... There are probably 4 teams in the division that could realistically take them out. Flyers, Caps, Blue Jackets, and Rangers. With hockey, you never know.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 07:00 AM
Dying Alive
I love u Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujju2 View Post
Let me guess. Pens fan? Thought so. Anyway, Washington (once the PP gets going), Montreal, and others should keep it close. Pens haven't struck me as the top team so far. That seems to be MTL as of now, but that could change. NYR might be a challenger too. I can't think of the top western team. Usually that's Chicago, but I haven't paid too much attention to them yet, so idk.
You thought wrong. OP is the furthest thing from a Pens fan.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 07:04 AM
Koijari
Hat trick Patrik x3

They're the fastest team in the league, hope they stay healthy and win back-to-back. It would be fun seeing Caps getting eliminated again .

Koijari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 07:08 AM
Binary Code
How do I change that

vCash: 244
Every team?

Binary Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2016, 07:08 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272*
Forgot About Sid

The East is stacked right now. I can definitely see any of the Rags, Bolts or Habs stopping them in their tracks.

*Knock On Wood* The team feels super strong right now though. The player's confidence is at 110%.

PensBandwagonerNo272* is offline   Reply With Quote