HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo and Biron available?

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Laval Flyers

vCash: 500
Luongo and Biron available?

Is the flyers will move for a number 1 goalie , lets face it 2 things this season too far in playoff .....
1 a healthy flyers team ( luck has to be on our side someday)

2 we need a goalie that can steal games

Old
01-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Flyersguru

no and no.

Old
01-27-2006, 09:05 AM
pelts35.com

Before I go on with this thread, I don't think the Flyers need to make a trade for a goaltender.

But, to go along with this thread, who exactly would you give up for Biron or Luongo? And, please, let's be realistic and not offer Turner Stevenson and Donald Brashear for one of the goalies.

If you truly think you are going to land one of those goalies, you are going to have to give up someone of value.

If the Flyers can get healthy, Niittymaki will be just fine. If the Flyers don't get healthy, the second coming of Bernie Parent won't be enough.

Old
01-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Jester

our injury situation has made us very inflexible with the cap...

the injury situation has also made it very dangerous to trade a skater in any trade for a goalie...

Old
01-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Biron is an upgrade over Eshce, but a downgrade when compared with Frank. There's not really a nead to make a trade for him, especially when there's other teams out there than need him more.

Loungo is a dream for some fans. He's got a boatload of talent and would probably put this franchise over the top but the asking price would be too high. We'd have to give up either one of our star players or throw in some of our rookies, and that just isn't good cap management.

Old
01-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Mythology

What about Esche for Manny Fernandez?

Old
01-27-2006, 10:08 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythology
What about Esche for Manny Fernandez?
1) The goalie that Minnesota is looking to trade is Roloson, not Fernandez. Roloson has even been quoted as saying that he is preparing himself to be traded.

1a) Please don't come back with Esche for Roloson.

2) Why would Minnesota trade for another marginal starter? The last thing they are going to want in exchange for a goalie is another goalie.

Old
01-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Coburnfan05

Personally I don't think Biron is an upgrade of what we already have.

Old
01-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Rolie's a good goalie. He had a GAA around 2.00 and a SV% of like .920 with only two wins because Minny can't score.
I think at this point, he's an upgrade over an inconsistent Esche...
BUT... Minny won't want a goalie back, they're looking to promote Harding. With our injuries, like someone said, I'm wary of trading a roster skater for a goalie. If it was like Savage, I'd have no problem with it, but Minny would never go for that.
I would probably throw an offer like Rob Bellamy and a late 2nd/early 3rd at Minnesota and see what they say. It at least gets the ball rolling with a decent proposal and opens a dialogue.

Then another problem is what to do with Esche? It doesn't make sense to keep him if we pick up another goalie, but not many teams will give fair value for him, considering his struggles this season. I could see maybe Colorado or Edmonton being interested in him closer to the deadline if we had to move him.

Old
01-27-2006, 10:43 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
lets give minny our 3 extra second round picks for roloson!

Old
01-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Mythology

Both Roloson & Fernandez are UFA's. Esche is signed for next year at a reasonable figure. Esche is 3 yrs younger than Fernandez. Maybe Minn is concerned about the $$ that they would have to spend to resign Fernandez. He should get a nice deal some where with the numbers he has put up. It isn't a totally preposterous idea. Maybe they trade both Roloson & Fernandez if they have fallen out of the playoff race and get a guy like Esche (younger & signed) in one of the deals to pair with Harding next year.

Old
01-27-2006, 11:37 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
no,no and no
on Luongo,Biron and Rolo

Luongo. seriously are you ready to give up Carter,Richards,Pitkanen for Luongo?

Biron. had that one hot streak last month or so when Miller went down other then that I wouldnt take him over Esche or Niitty

Roloson. good goalie but hes old. really dont want to carry 3 goalies, and I would not deal Esche and Niitty at the expense of getting him as much as the goaltending situation at times as frustrated me. I really believe when we get everyone back(yes i really believe this team gets healthy at the right time) the goaltending gets better because of the decrease in the quality scoring chances and not having Pylon #6 out there on a nightly basis

Old
01-27-2006, 12:05 PM
TheKingPin

Lets not go overboard. To get Luong it might not take that much. Its obvious he wants out of Florida (rejecting two very nice offers), so they are dying to deal him and get something. Plus there are many teams that have thier own goalies that they want ot trade, or have no niterest in trading for a goalie. I think Florida may go for Nitty, Downie, Jones, 1st and 2nd. They would be getting a baot load of talent and options with the picks. The Flyers dont need Downie as (from what I heard) he is like Richards anyway.

Old
01-27-2006, 12:14 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan
Lets not go overboard. To get Luong it might not take that much. Its obvious he wants out of Florida (rejecting two very nice offers), so they are dying to deal him and get something. Plus there are many teams that have thier own goalies that they want ot trade, or have no niterest in trading for a goalie. I think Florida may go for Nitty, Downie, Jones, 1st and 2nd. They would be getting a baot load of talent and options with the picks. The Flyers dont need Downie as (from what I heard) he is like Richards anyway.
Luongo wont be traded yet, if he is traded. Wait until April or atleast March to see what his future beholds. He doesnt want to talk about contracts with Florida until then, which leads you to believe if he is traded, its the offseason.
Second of all, whilst its a nice package you said, Florida would one of Gange, Richards, Carter. I understand why Philly fans would say no, but we want a potential star player back in return. Luongo is a franchise goaltender, and hence whilst not a franchise player would be coming back, we would want a young future star coming back.
Thats why i dont think Philly are good trading partners.

Old
01-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17ster
Wait until April or atleast March to see what his future beholds.

Second of all, whilst its a nice package you said, Florida would one of Gange, Richards, Carter. I understand why Philly fans would say no, but we want a potential star player back in return. Luongo is a franchise goaltender, and hence whilst not a franchise player would be coming back, we would want a young future star coming back.
Thats why i dont think Philly are good trading partners.
Trading deadline is early March. I don't think we can wait until April. That said, we don't need to trade for a goalie. Esche is capable, Niittymaki, thus far, has proven capable. They are both inexpensive, and the team has other holes to fill, like a second line scoring threat.

Old
01-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Tat2dRich

Send a message via Yahoo to Tat2dRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
no,no and no
on Luongo,Biron and Rolo

Luongo. seriously are you ready to give up Carter,Richards,Pitkanen for Luongo?

Biron. had that one hot streak last month or so when Miller went down other then that I wouldnt take him over Esche or Niitty

Roloson. good goalie but hes old. really dont want to carry 3 goalies, and I would not deal Esche and Niitty at the expense of getting him as much as the goaltending situation at times as frustrated me. I really believe when we get everyone back(yes i really believe this team gets healthy at the right time) the goaltending gets better because of the decrease in the quality scoring chances and not having Pylon #6 out there on a nightly basis

Right now I wouldn't give up Pitkanen and one of the Rookies for Hasek. And I wouldn't give up Pitkanen, Carter and Richards for ANY goalie playing today.

Old
01-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Tat2dRich

Send a message via Yahoo to Tat2dRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan
I think Downie is closer to Tocchet than Richards, I want him in Orange and Black

Old
01-27-2006, 06:28 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguru
no and no.
Agreed.
All philly teams have been plagued with injuries this season. For example, the Eagles sucked this season, not mainly because of T.O. but becasue of Mcnabb and Westbrook and there WR's. Now i know this is a hockey forum but its the best example i could give. No excuse for the Phillies because they always suck and the Sixers too.

Secondly, we could probably use Biron as a backup to NIitty, that is if biron is available. We would have two great goalies.

Old
01-27-2006, 07:21 PM
BloodOnTheIce

this is a stupid thread, why is it allowed to continue

Old
01-28-2006, 11:24 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rails
Trading deadline is early March. I don't think we can wait until April. That said, we don't need to trade for a goalie. Esche is capable, Niittymaki, thus far, has proven capable. They are both inexpensive, and the team has other holes to fill, like a second line scoring threat.
I know when the trade deadline is, i meant to see whether Luongo resigns or not. Personally id be suprised if he is traded before the deadline, wait until offseason.

Old
01-28-2006, 01:34 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOnTheIce
this is a stupid thread, why is it allowed to continue

The Flyers are not going to trade for a goaltender, so why waste brain cells on the topic?

The only move the Flyers will make is for a replacement 2nd line center for Primeau. If anyone listened to Clarkie on Glen Macnow's WIP show this morning, Clarke all but said that Primeau will not be back and that they are looking for a 2nd line center who will throw his weight around and can put the puck in the net.

Old
01-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Well, what would be the point of waiting for the offseason if you wanted to improve your team for this years playoffs. Not that it would be much of an improvement.

An argument can be made the Luongo would be an upgrade to our goaltending tandem. But the question is whether or not that upgrade is significant enough to give away some our other players. I mean, Luongo might be good, but we haven't seen him play in the playoffs. In Esche we have a goalie that has NHL playoff experience, (albeit, not that much) and in Niittymaki, we have a goalie that has won at two different levels of play (Finland and AHL), but also unproven at the NHL level. Luongo's performance in big games is basically unknown. Also, Luongo might expect a big paycheck, which we don't need to add. Esche knows that his play and his injuries haven't helped make a cause for why he should get a raise and Niittymaki doesn't seem like he would demand very much.

Closed Thread