HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expansion Draft Discussion II

View Poll Results: Who do you think Vegas will draft from our team?
Mitchell 2 0.72%
Byron 31 11.19%
Beaulieu 88 31.77%
Emelin 68 24.55%
Davidson 17 6.14%
Benn 29 10.47%
Other 42 15.16%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-15-2016, 01:51 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Expansion Draft Discussion II

Habs will need to protect 7 Forwards, 3 Defensemen and 1 Goalie or 8 skaters and 1 goalie. here's the list of who needs to be protected vs who doesn't,

Non Exempt
PlayerCap Hit
Weber, Shea 7,857,143M
Price, Carey6.5M (NMC)
Plekanec, Tomas6M
Markov, Andrei5.75M (UFA)
Radulov, Alexander5.75M (UFA)
Petry, Jeff5.5M (NMC)
Pacioretty, Max4.5M
Emelin, Alexei4.1M
Shaw, Andrew3.9M
Gallagher, Brendan3.75M
Galchenyuk, Alex2.8M
King, Dwight1.95M (UFA)
Davidson, Brandon1.425M
Mitchell, Torrey1.2M
Byron, Paul1,166,667M
Benn, Jordie1.1M
Beaulieu, Nathan1M
Montoya, Al950K (UFA)
Flynn, Brian950K (UFA)
Danault, Phillip912K
Ott, Steve800K (UFA)
Nesterov, Nikita725K
Martinsen, Andreas640K (UFA)
Carr, Daniel725K
Redmond, Zach612,500K
Crisp, Connor800K (2 way ELC)
de la Rose, Jacob925K (2 way ELC)
Lowe, Keegan750K (RFA)
Farnham, Bobby575K (NHL) 375K (AHL) (UFA)
Friberg, Max587,500 (NHL) 90K (AHL)
Hudon, Charles625K (2 way ELC)
Matteau, Stefan612,500
Terry, Chris575K (NHL) 300K (AHL) (UFA)
Thrower, Dalton800K (2 way ELC)

Exempt
PlayerCap Hit
Audette, Daniel671,667 (2 way ELC)
Eisenschmid, Markus642,500K (2 2 way ELC)
Fucale, Zachary894,167K (2 way ELC)
Grégoire, Jérémy676,667 (2 way ELC)
Hanley, Joel625K (NHL) 85K (AHL)
Johnston, Ryan680K (2 way ELC)
Juulsen, Noah894,167 (2 way ECL)
Lehkonen, Artturi839,167K (2 way ELC)
Lernout, Brett821,667K (2 way ELC)
Lindgren, Charlie925K (2 way ELC)
MacMillan, Mark900K (2 way ELC)
McCarron, Michael1,075,833 (2 way ELC)
McNiven, Michael648,333 (2 way ELC)
Parisi, Tom717,500K (2 way ELC)
Reway, Martin706,667 (2 way ELC)
Sergachev, Mikhail925K (2 2 way ELC)
Scherbak, Nikita1,177,500 (2 way ELC)

Exempt (Not Signed)
Player
Addison, Jeremiah
Bitten, Will
Bourque, Simon
Bradley, Matt
Evans, Jake
Hawkey, Hayden
Henrikson, Arvid
Koberstein, Nikolas
Mete, Victor
Nättinen, Joonas
Nygren, Magnus
Pezzetta, Michael
Staum, Casey
Sullivan, Colin
Trunev, Maxim
Vejdemo, Lukas

Rules for LV,

Quote:
The Las Vegas franchise must select one player from each presently existing club for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

* The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

* The Las Vegas franchise may not buy out any of the players selected in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.
Also, (since it's an issue for now)
Quote:
All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Last edited by montreal: 03-02-2017 at 12:30 PM.
montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHShadow View Post
Don't think Fowler (would be traded before let go for free), Ekholm (NSH is going with 8 skaters and protecting their 4 Ds), Trouba (They would protect Trouba and let go of Myers first), Zadorov (would think COL tries to make Beauchemin waive the NMC, but could possibly be taken), Reinhart (I would take Beau/Emelin before them).
Fowler might get traded but there are also teams who only look ok now because they haven't added a guy they want, or re-signed a UFA. Plenty of teams will add a Dman for a playoff run who they will then try and re-sign, like we did with Petry. That will put some teams that look fine right now into trouble. Washington for example who have to sign Alzner, if they do they expose a decent D.

Teams lose players for free all the time via UFA so I doubt there will be a mad scramble of trades to ensure teams don't lose anyone "good". It's much more likely that Anaheim trades directly with Vegas to have them not pick Fowler. Ie Anaheim gives LV a 1st round pick/good prospect to not take him.

I only listed the guys that I would grab as my 7 NHL guys. There are probably another half dozen at least of guys I would take before Beaulieu. But we don't know who exactly will be available. Last year yes Nashville would have decided to protect 4 D, after this year I'm not so sure. Ekholm isn't having a great year, and guys like Ardvisson have stepped up big time and will now be protected. Will they really want to expose Smith & Wilson? I'm not so sure it's clear cut. But in the end we have to wait to see who will actually be available.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2016, 11:52 AM
gillyguzzler

From cbc.ca

Potentially protected:

Forwards Alex Galchenyuk, Branden Gallagher, Alexander Radulov, Max Pacioretty, Paul Byron, Andrew Shaw, Phillip Danault
Defencemen Jeff Petry, Shea Weber, Nathan Beaulieu
Goalie Carey Price

Intriguing exposed:

Tomas Plekanec (F), Jacob De la Rose (F- RFA), Alexei Emelin (D), Greg Pateryn (D)

I agree with this list and I wouldn't be surprised if Emelin is the one to leave.

For Markov and Radulov, MB needs to have an agreement with both will sign after the draft. Don't want to expose Danault, Byron of Beaulieu if we have to protect Radulov and Markov.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2016, 11:53 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
From cbc.ca

Potentially protected:

Forwards Alex Galchenyuk, Branden Gallagher, Alexander Radulov, Max Pacioretty, Paul Byron, Andrew Shaw, Phillip Danault
Defencemen Jeff Petry, Shea Weber, Nathan Beaulieu
Goalie Carey Price

Intriguing exposed:

Tomas Plekanec (F), Jacob De la Rose (F- RFA), Alexei Emelin (D), Greg Pateryn (D)

I agree with this list and I wouldn't be surprised if Emelin is the one to leave.

For Markov and Radulov, MB needs to have an agreement with both will sign after the draft. Don't want to expose Danault, Byron of Beaulieu if we have to protect Radulov and Markov.
Pretty good. Biggest head-scratcher is certainly why would JDLR be considered "intriguing".

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2016, 12:13 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Pretty good. Biggest head-scratcher is certainly why would JDLR be considered "intriguing".
I know. There are so many good defensemen that will be available for LV so they'll be looking for forwards where they can... but JDLR? That's why I'm really hoping that Danault and Byron will be protected because the one that is not will be picked for sure.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2016, 06:55 AM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

vCash: 725
So having to give up your 1st pick in 2017 or a 2nd player to Vegas is a good enough incentive so that we'd respect the goalie rule......

Yann Danis will be signed to a 2-way contract. As I believe Lindgren will be the Habs #2. There will be a battle to end between Fucale and McNiven for the #1/#2 job in Laval. With Danis being there too.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2016, 06:59 AM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

Quote:
I'd find a way to trade Beaulieu and protect Emelin.

Old
12-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I hope we keep both somehow.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2016, 09:50 AM
Uncle Gary
Habs/Preds

It is a good thing that Lindgren is exempt. If he wasn't I think Vegas would be very interested in him.

Uncle Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2016, 09:54 AM
MXD

Quote:
So having to give up your 1st pick in 2017 or a 2nd player to Vegas is a good enough incentive so that we'd respect the goalie rule......

Yann Danis will be signed to a 2-way contract. As I believe Lindgren will be the Habs #2. There will be a battle to end between Fucale and McNiven for the #1/#2 job in Laval. With Danis being there too.
Something like this will happen, but it will just not be Danis, due to 35+ rule.

Old
12-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

Quote:
Something like this will happen, but it will just not be Danis, due to 35+ rule.
What about it? It will be just one year and won't be significant money.

Old
12-22-2016, 10:08 AM
MXD

Quote:
What about it? It will be just one year and won't be significant money.
Well, his NHL salary would be his caphit, regardless of where he plays. Even if it's just 600K...

I mean, there is certainly a goalie aged between 25 and 34 who will not be Under NHL contract by the deadline, right?

Old
12-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

Quote:
Well, his NHL salary would be his caphit, regardless of where he plays. Even if it's just 600K...

I mean, there is certainly a goalie aged between 25 and 34 who will not be Under NHL contract by the deadline, right?
Well we'll see about that. You may be right.

Old
12-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Most of these kinds of lists are by people who don't follow a particular team closely so it's more reputation based then anything else.

That said Vegas is taking 30 player plus has the 1st overall pick. So if they aren't picking UFAs there will be a bunch of players that have to pass through waivers. Grabbing a guy who they think won't get taken but still has a NHL future has some value. It all depends who else is available and what they are looking for.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2016, 11:45 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

I'm not sure if that counts towards players signed to 1 year deals as the rule,

Quote:
If a player signs a multi-year contract over the age of 35, all the years of the contract count against the cap, regardless if the player plays all the years, he retires, or finishes out the contract in the AHL.

Old
12-22-2016, 11:56 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I'm not sure if that counts towards players signed to 1 year deals as the rule,
.... Yeah, just saw this on CapFriendly. In which case I was wrong (and it would then makes sense to sign Danis).

Just took at look at the CBA provisions about that too, and a 1-year contract to a 35+ player is basically like any other contract.

Old
12-22-2016, 12:06 PM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
If your LV GM.... do you pick a guy who is 31 and has 1 year left till UFA? I could be wrong but I think Emelin is safe and stays with the Habs.

- Some will say... yeah but you can re-sign him before he reaches UFA so therefore, you take the risk. This may be true but you don't gamble a expansion draft pick for a guy like Emelin when you only get 1 year from him.

- Some will say... yeah but LV has to have some guys in their 30's will salary right? So therefore, you take Emelin. Nope, you don't waste a expansion draft pick on a guy you will lose in 1 year. You can sign guys like Emelin in the off season to whatever contract you like (this doesn't cost you a expansion draft pick BTW)

The Habs will more than likely try to send a draft pick to have LV take Pleky. If not, then the Habs likely lose guys like Hudon, Carr, or DLR. Even Pateryn is UFA after next season.

Put yourself in LV's shoes. Take Pleky and a draft pick (3rd or 4th rounder) or take guys like Hudon or Carr. That's what I think LV options will be.

Habs Protect:
Price, Weber, Petry, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Radulov, Patch, Gally, Danault, Shaw, Byron.

HabsGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Jaynki
Toe2Toe

I would protect Emelin before Beau

Jaynki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2016, 12:13 PM
CHaracter79

emelin before beaulieu? Why? BEaulieu gets picked 100% if unprotected. Emelin is a toss up and they probably dont. theyd prob rather select torrey mitchell or greg pateryn then emelin given he is UFA next summer.

EMelin is a decent D man but in no way is he a #2 where he is playign next to weber.

Weber is really that good and its surprising that no one notices it as often. Emelin last year looked like a pylon.. this year he is steady with the occasional lapse.

Playign with Weber makes any d man look better.. Look at Josi. doesnt look as good this year playing without Weber.

PEtry, Weber Beaulieu will be the 3 protected dmen. BEaulieu is on pace for 25 points without playing the PP.. or very little.

CHaracter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2016, 12:15 PM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynki View Post
I would protect Emelin before Beau
Then you would lose Beaulieu guaranteed. It's possible Emelin gets protected but IMO, it's not likely (even after the year he is having). If the Habs can re-sign Emelin to a 3 or 4 year contract extension in the off season (on top of the 1 year left) at a reasonable price, then yes... expose Beaulieu! The next contract that Beaulieu sign's probably has a factor in it all though! I find it hard to predict what kind of Money and Term Beaulieu will be asking for.

Old
12-22-2016, 12:18 PM
CHaracter79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
Then you would lose Beaulieu guaranteed. It's possible Emelin gets protected but IMO, it's not likely (even after the year he is having). If the Habs can re-sign Emelin to a 3 or 4 year contract extension in the off season (on top of the 1 year left) at a reasonable price, then yes... expose Beaulieu!
no dont expose beaulieu. wait til after the draft. emelin will be 32 at the end of this contract.. you really want him another 4 years with juulsen and sergachev coming up

CHaracter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2016, 12:51 PM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHaracter79 View Post
no dont expose beaulieu. wait til after the draft. emelin will be 32 at the end of this contract.. you really want him another 4 years with juulsen and sergachev coming up
Sergachev might be ready next year or the year after. Juulsen is not ready for another 3+ seasons. Habs will need either Beaulieu or Emelin (or both) for a few seasons yet.

Old
12-22-2016, 12:53 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Sergachev might be ready next year or the year after. Juulsen is not ready for another 3+ seasons. Habs will need either Beaulieu or Emelin (or both) for a few seasons yet.
it's impossible to know when Juulsen will be ready, perhaps in 2 years with some games and then we'll see how it goes.

Old
12-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Respeck
Emmy BOOM

Quote:
Then you would lose Beaulieu guaranteed. It's possible Emelin gets protected but IMO, it's not likely (even after the year he is having). If the Habs can re-sign Emelin to a 3 or 4 year contract extension in the off season (on top of the 1 year left) at a reasonable price, then yes... expose Beaulieu! The next contract that Beaulieu sign's probably has a factor in it all though! I find it hard to predict what kind of Money and Term Beaulieu will be asking for.
A lot of other teams will have better D than Beaulieu left exposed, don't think it is a guarantee that they take him.

Respeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2016, 02:52 PM
odishabs

Habs Post Expansion

Byron - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Pacioretty - XXXX - Gallagher
Lehkonen - McCarron - Shaw
Danault - Mitchell - Flynn

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote