HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expansion Draft Discussion II

View Poll Results: Who do you think Vegas will draft from our team?
Mitchell 2 0.72%
Byron 31 11.19%
Beaulieu 88 31.77%
Emelin 68 24.55%
Davidson 17 6.14%
Benn 29 10.47%
Other 42 15.16%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2016, 04:50 PM
  #26
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
Then you would lose Beaulieu guaranteed. It's possible Emelin gets protected but IMO, it's not likely (even after the year he is having). If the Habs can re-sign Emelin to a 3 or 4 year contract extension in the off season (on top of the 1 year left) at a reasonable price, then yes... expose Beaulieu! The next contract that Beaulieu sign's probably has a factor in it all though! I find it hard to predict what kind of Money and Term Beaulieu will be asking for.
Emelin can't be extended until July 1st or later, and the expansion draft is in June.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2016, 08:08 PM
  #27
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....
 
HabsGorgeous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Emelin can't be extended until July 1st or later, and the expansion draft is in June.
Then he goes unprotected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
it's impossible to know when Juulsen will be ready, perhaps in 2 years with some games and then we'll see how it goes.
I think Juulsen plays 2 years in the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respeck View Post
A lot of other teams will have better D than Beaulieu left exposed, don't think it is a guarantee that they take him.
Except the other NHL options left to pick would not be great on the Habs. That's why I believe Beaulieu gets picked if left unprotected


Last edited by montreal: 12-23-2016 at 11:50 AM.
HabsGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2016, 10:28 PM
  #28
MaynardJames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
If your LV GM.... do you pick a guy who is 31 and has 1 year left till UFA? I could be wrong but I think Emelin is safe and stays with the Habs.
A smart GM take Emelin and trade him for picks and prospect which would be way more than anything else we can offer.

MaynardJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2016, 08:33 AM
  #29
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....
 
HabsGorgeous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post
A smart GM take Emelin and trade him for picks and prospect which would be way more than anything else we can offer.
Emelin will get you a 2nd round pick at trade deadline at best

HabsGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2016, 09:31 AM
  #30
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
Except the other NHL options left to pick would not be great on the Habs. That's why I believe Beaulieu gets picked if left unprotected
They are drafting 30 players plus have the 1st overall and will probably throw some big money at a UFA or two. A bunch of guys they draft will end up being cut. There's no point in taking Beaulieu unless he's in your starting lineup. You'd be better off taking someone like Hudon, who would potentially go unclaimed if/when he gets cut.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2016, 09:35 AM
  #31
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....
 
HabsGorgeous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
They are drafting 30 players plus have the 1st overall and will probably throw some big money at a UFA or two. A bunch of guys they draft will end up being cut. There's no point in taking Beaulieu unless he's in your starting lineup. You'd be better off taking someone like Hudon, who would potentially go unclaimed if/when he gets cut.
They may pass on Beaulieu as the available selection on D will be good for them to choose from. However, If I'm the Habs, I need Beaulieu to be with the team on a team friendly control contract (even if he is playing bottom pairing at times). Habs can lose Hudon and it will hurt but it will hurt more if they lose Beaulieu. Beaulieu will bridge the gap for when Juulsen and Sergachev are ready!

Beaulieu is a bigger piece to the puzzle moving forward than some will admit! He was also awesome last night against the Wild. He has some growing left I and don't think he has reached his true potential yet.

HabsGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2016, 10:01 AM
  #32
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 33,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
They are drafting 30 players plus have the 1st overall and will probably throw some big money at a UFA or two. A bunch of guys they draft will end up being cut. There's no point in taking Beaulieu unless he's in your starting lineup. You'd be better off taking someone like Hudon, who would potentially go unclaimed if/when he gets cut.
The underlined is actually not quite true.

They'll pick no lower than 6th in the first round and will pick 3rd in any subsequent round (barring compensation picks).

They'll be considered the 28th team (...or 3rd worse) for the purposes of the draw. Which mean they could pick first.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2016, 10:03 AM
  #33
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
They may pass on Beaulieu as the available selection on D will be good for them to choose from. However, If I'm the Habs, I need Beaulieu to be with the team on a team friendly control contract (even if he is playing bottom pairing at times). Habs can lose Hudon and it will hurt but it will hurt more if they lose Beaulieu. Beaulieu will bridge the gap for when Juulsen and Sergachev are ready!

Beaulieu is a bigger piece to the puzzle moving forward than some will admit! He was also awesome last night against the Wild. He has some growing left I and don't think he has reached his true potential yet.
Agreed Beaulieu is a lot more valuable to us then whichever forwards will be unprotected, same for Emelin. But that's irrelevant, because Vegas is going to do what's best for them, they don't care about how the picks hurt the Habs.

That said, once they see the list of available players and figure out who they are going to take I'm sure they will try to extract picks for not taking players they didn't plan on taking anyways. For example would MB be willing to give up a 2nd round pick on condition Vegas doesn't select a D-man?

We aren't the only ones either, if LV plays there cards right they could get a ton of picks. Colorado, Boston, Pittsburgh, Tampa (If Bishop re-signs) all have promising young goalies they would want to keep. Vegas will surely take one of them, I could see those teams being willing to part with some picks/prospects in order to protect both goalies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
The underlined is actually not quite true.

They'll pick no lower than 6th in the first round and will pick 3rd in any subsequent round (barring compensation picks).

They'll be considered the 28th team (...or 3rd worse) for the purposes of the draw. Which mean they could pick first.
Did not know that. Seems strange to not give them the top pick in order to try to bring some excitement to the team.


Last edited by montreal: 12-23-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2016, 10:30 AM
  #34
NA Scouting
Registered User
 
NA Scouting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
They are drafting 30 players plus have the 1st overall and will probably throw some big money at a UFA or two. A bunch of guys they draft will end up being cut. There's no point in taking Beaulieu unless he's in your starting lineup. You'd be better off taking someone like Hudon, who would potentially go unclaimed if/when he gets cut.
Uh?

Beaulieu: solid #5 with a lot of tools who is very young and could turn out to be a good top-4 D... could be in Vegas' starting 6 or be dealt for picks/prospects during training camp.

Hudon: long-shot to make the NHL, small, weak, skating not great, almost no NHL experience... would likely be on Vegas' farm team.

There is 0% chance Vegas takes Hudon (or Carr, Andrighetto, Pateryn) before Beaulieu. 0%. Beaulieu can play a bigger role on the team and if traded can bring in more picks. Hudon has almost zero value.

I understand that they'll have 30 bodies but just as in the NHL Entry Draft, you take BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. Vegas will make backdoor deals and send some extra players out for picks. A guy like Beaulieu is too valuable and remember, every NHL team will lose at least 1 player, so they will all have holes after the expansion draft. Lots of teams will be looking to fill a void on their bottom pair on defense. Beaulieu could easily be dealt for picks after June.

Hudon is useless for Vegas.

NA Scouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2016, 11:01 AM
  #35
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....
 
HabsGorgeous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Agreed Beaulieu is a lot more valuable to us then whichever forwards will be unprotected, same for Emelin. But that's irrelevant, because Vegas is going to do what's best for them, they don't care about how the picks hurt the Habs.

That said, once they see the list of available players and figure out who they are going to take I'm sure they will try to extract picks for not taking players they didn't plan on taking anyways. For example would MB be willing to give up a 2nd round pick on condition Vegas doesn't select a D-man?

We aren't the only ones either, if LV plays there cards right they could get a ton of picks. Colorado, Boston, Pittsburgh, Tampa (If Bishop re-signs) all have promising young goalies they would want to keep. Vegas will surely take one of them, I could see those teams being willing to part with some picks/prospects in order to protect both goalies.
Good post.

The situation in Pittsburgh will be interesting to watch. Will they be able to trade Fleury and keep Murray. If they can't, I'm not sure what LV would want in return for not taking Murray. It's going to be a big price to pay IMO!

I don't think TB resigns Bishop as they only have $12.5M in projected cap space for next year. Add a Cap increase of $2M and the most they will have to play with is 14.5M. They have to resign Drouin, Johnson, Palat, Boyle, & a few guys on D. There is no room to re-sign Bishop without making a major move.

HabsGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 02:26 AM
  #36
HOPE
Registered User
 
HOPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,322
vCash: 500
lets play a expansion game!

assuming Habs go Hard at the deadline and sign a guy like Duchene for a package like Sergachev, Plekanec, 1st ( package doesnt realy matter unless a protected player is involve)

Habs are most likely going 7-3-1

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Duchene
Radulov(signed)(would you risk an unsign agreements contract)
Gallagher

Wich of the followed 2 you keep? Danault, Byron, Shaw

I know we just traded 2x 2nd and resign shaw for a massive lenght contract (Organisation would look like complete idiots) But with how Byron is playing at 1.1M for 2 more years after this and what he brings to the team and Danault being only 23 year old still RFA and cost controlled next year playing fantastic hockey + being a center.
Expose: Plekanec


To be honest, it would never happen because of how the organisation would look but primary HOCKEY wise + cap wise for future, i think the most logical Exposed choice would be Shaw.

You guys? please explain.

HOPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 03:03 AM
  #37
Belial
Registered User
 
Belial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,937
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPE View Post
assuming Habs go Hard at the deadline and sign a guy like Duchene for a package like Sergachev, Plekanec, 1st ( package doesnt realy matter unless a protected player is involve)

Habs are most likely going 7-3-1

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Duchene
Radulov(signed)(would you risk an unsign agreements contract)
Gallagher

Wich of the followed 2 you keep? Danault, Byron, Shaw

I know we just traded 2x 2nd and resign shaw for a massive lenght contract (Organisation would look like complete idiots) But with how Byron is playing at 1.1M for 2 more years after this and what he brings to the team and Danault being only 23 year old still RFA and cost controlled next year playing fantastic hockey + being a center.
Expose: Plekanec


To be honest, it would never happen because of how the organisation would look but primary HOCKEY wise + cap wise for future, i think the most logical Exposed choice would be Shaw.

You guys? please explain.
Well , you said it , no way they expose Shaw.

So in the situation you described , too bad but it's going to be Byron.

Belial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 05:00 AM
  #38
Frank JT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
And if we stay with the same line up as now?

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Radulov(signed)
Gallagher
Danault
Byron
Shaw

Plekanecs is open

Weber
Petry
Beaulieu

Markov and Emelin are opens

Price

Frank JT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 06:10 AM
  #39
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank JT View Post
And if we stay with the same line up as now?

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Radulov(signed)
Gallagher
Danault
Byron
Shaw

Plekanecs is open

Weber
Petry
Beaulieu

Markov and Emelin are opens

Price
Not so sure Beaulieu gets protected over Emelin. The rest of the season will dictate that.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 07:28 AM
  #40
Respeck
Emmy BOOM
 
Respeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Not so sure Beaulieu gets protected over Emelin. The rest of the season will dictate that.
With Beaulieu stepping his game up and us needing to re-sign Chucky and Radulov this off-season, I won't be surprised to see Emelin unprotected even though I feel he's been great this year.

As of now Beaulieu would have a high chance to get claimed, but Emelin might have less of a chance due to his higher cap hit and only one year remaining before he's a UFA.

Respeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 08:06 AM
  #41
Frank JT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Not so sure Beaulieu gets protected over Emelin. The rest of the season will dictate that.
You're right. Emelin or Beaulieu.

Frank JT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 09:41 AM
  #42
Adam Michaels
Registered User
 
Adam Michaels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,311
vCash: 500
This has to be tricky for GMs. In our case, my 7-3-1 is:

1- Pacioretty
2- Galchenyuk
3- Gallagher
4- Danault
5- Byron
6- Shaw
7- Radulov (if signed before the draft)
7- Mitchell (if Radulov is signed after the draft)

Now the tricky part is if we go out and get a big piece to help us in the Top-6. Do you go for someone with term (à la Duchene, RNH, etc.)? That would force you to protect one of them and unless someone on my protected list is part of that trade, who do you remove? It all depends if Radulov signs before the draft. If he doesn't, I'd expose Mitchell. But if Radulov does sign and is part of your 7 forwards protected, who do to expose? It will surely be between Danault and Byron.

I think the smart move would be to get a rental. This is where someone like Martin Hanzal can come in. He's a body that can help you for the playoffs and he's a UFA at the end of the year. So no need to use a spot to protect him.

Adam Michaels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 10:21 AM
  #43
Aldo Montoya
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
It's one of the things we have to factor in if we're planning on adding a player with term. That's why I'd be more likely to go for a pending UFA before the deadline instead... Hanzal, Seidenberg, etc.

Aldo Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 10:32 AM
  #44
rhinoshawarma
Registered User
 
rhinoshawarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Not so sure Beaulieu gets protected over Emelin. The rest of the season will dictate that.
Beaulieu before this season for sure, and Beaulieu is getting better and is younger. Maybe LV doesn't take Emelin because he will only have 1 year left and we can offer a pick to keep him, but if NB is available they will take him 100%.

And I think they will expose Shaw because that contract might scare LV, and losing that contract for the benefit of a superior player (Dadonov/Shipachev) might be nice. I love Shaw but we need more production, I think the playoffs will tell who gets protected

edited


Last edited by rhinoshawarma: 01-09-2017 at 10:54 AM.
rhinoshawarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 10:45 AM
  #45
Captain Wolverine
Registered User
 
Captain Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,020
vCash: 500
Since assuming that Montreal makes a trade that massive is dumb, I'm just going to make more realistic assumptions:

If 7-3-1 (more likely):

Pacioretty
Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Danault
Shaw
Byron
Radulov (if resigned prior to draft)/Hudon (if Rads is not signed)

Weber
Petry
Beaulieu

Price

Any way you shake it, Emelin is likely gone, with an off chance of Plekanec being claimed. If the team decides to go 4-4-1 (only possible if Radulov wants to test the market), then either Danault, Shaw or Byron is gone.

Captain Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 10:49 AM
  #46
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 33,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoshawarma View Post

Also, we need to protect McCarron no?
No..

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 10:54 AM
  #47
rhinoshawarma
Registered User
 
rhinoshawarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
No..
Oh right he spent 2 more years in junior so he's still a 2nd year pro


Last edited by rhinoshawarma: 01-09-2017 at 11:00 AM.
rhinoshawarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 11:33 AM
  #48
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post
This has to be tricky for GMs. In our case, my 7-3-1 is:

1- Pacioretty
2- Galchenyuk
3- Gallagher
4- Danault
5- Byron
6- Shaw
7- Radulov (if signed before the draft)
7- Mitchell (if Radulov is signed after the draft)

Now the tricky part is if we go out and get a big piece to help us in the Top-6. Do you go for someone with term (à la Duchene, RNH, etc.)? That would force you to protect one of them and unless someone on my protected list is part of that trade, who do you remove? It all depends if Radulov signs before the draft. If he doesn't, I'd expose Mitchell. But if Radulov does sign and is part of your 7 forwards protected, who do to expose? It will surely be between Danault and Byron.

I think the smart move would be to get a rental. This is where someone like Martin Hanzal can come in. He's a body that can help you for the playoffs and he's a UFA at the end of the year. So no need to use a spot to protect him.
It will depend how the rest of the season/playoffs go but right now I think you'd actually have to expose Shaw.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 12:44 PM
  #49
DaNaultinus
The Human Fund Donor
 
DaNaultinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 399
vCash: 50
I'd see if we could trade Emelin for an NHL ready/ Young top 4 dman that is exempt from the expansion draft. That would allow us to keep Beaulieu, Petry and Weber plus who we trade for.

DaNaultinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2017, 02:01 PM
  #50
Strategize
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
I'll go against the popular opinion and protect 4 d-men. Emelin has been rock solid this season. Definitely a top 4 d on any team with the way he's played up until now. Rarely seen him missed a defensive assignment.

Chuck
Patch
Gallagher
Byron
Shaw
Danault

Weber
Emelin
Petry
Beaulieu

Price

Zero chance LV picks Rads or Markov because they won't resign with them. We can resign them after the expansion draft.

Strategize is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.