HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expansion Draft Discussion II

View Poll Results: Who do you think Vegas will draft from our team?
Mitchell 3 0.90%
Byron 43 12.84%
Beaulieu 107 31.94%
Emelin 79 23.58%
Davidson 23 6.87%
Benn 36 10.75%
Other 44 13.13%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
Ever consider that Radulov wants to re sign but told the Habs he will go to UFA to see his market value first?
My point is I rather not risk exposing him, however slim the chance, when the players we would protect in olace of him are easily replaced and not desirable.

Old
05-15-2017, 10:35 PM
LastWordArmy

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
If I were George McPhee, I'd draft Charles Hudon.

McPhee is going to need AHL talent as well as NHL talent because not all 30 players can skate with Vegas.

Hudon needs a change of scenery.
If I were Vegas, I'd draft Plekanec and look to pull a Hanzal with him at the deadline.

Old
05-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Kjell Dahlin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWordArmy View Post
If I were Vegas, I'd draft Plekanec and look to pull a Hanzal with him at the deadline.
I was a huge fan of Plekanec but at this point in his career, I would not touch him with a ten feet pole. The guy still is our best defensive forward but his 6M$ cap hit is not in synch with his overall contribution.

My pick if I am Las Vegas:

1. Danault

Contrary to another player roughly the same age (Galchenyuk), Danault does not need to be sheltered. He is a versatile two way forward with a steady level of competitiveness.

2. Hudon

Hudon is only 22 years old and he has been one of the best goals scorers in the last 3 AHL seasons. Regarding his alleged size issue, the guy really hit the gym since his draft year: only 6 forwards in Montreal are heavier than him. I love his arsenal of shots and his high hockey IQ.

3. Beaulieu

Beaulieu is a dude with a lower than average hockey IQ but he has the size, toughness, offensive awareness and near elite speed to help a team... as long as his cap hit remains low. If a guy like Ron Hainsey can help a team like the Pens...

4. Byron

Low cap hit, elite speed and sound defensive awareness. I do think his 22 goals were a fluke but I sure can be wrong: that little guy is intense.

5. Benn/Emelin/De La Rose/Shaw

Depending on LV's needs at this point, I would choose one of the above players if our Canadiens decide to protect Danault, Hudon, Beaulieu and Byron.

Old
05-16-2017, 01:28 AM
LastWordArmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I was a huge fan of Plekanec but at this point in his career, I would not touch him with a ten feet pole. The guy still is our best defensive forward but his 6M$ cap hit is not in synch with his overall contribution.

My pick if I am Las Vegas:

1. Danault

Contrary to another player roughly the same age (Galchenyuk), Danault does not need to be sheltered. He is a versatile two way forward with a steady level of competitiveness.

2. Hudon

Hudon is only 22 years old and he has been one of the best goals scorers in the last 3 AHL seasons. Regarding his alleged size issue, the guy really hit the gym since his draft year: only 6 forwards in Montreal are heavier than him. I love his arsenal of shots and his high hockey IQ.

3. Beaulieu

Beaulieu is a dude with a lower than average hockey IQ but he has the size, toughness, offensive awareness and near elite speed to help a team... as long as his cap hit remains low. If a guy like Ron Hainsey can help a team like the Pens...

4. Byron

Low cap hit, elite speed and sound defensive awareness. I do think his 22 goals were a fluke but I sure can be wrong: that little guy is intense.

5. Benn/Emelin/De La Rose/Shaw

Depending on LV's needs at this point, I would choose one of the above players if our Canadiens decide to protect Danault, Hudon, Beaulieu and Byron.

Danault and byron will both be protected. There is no chance they are even available to Vegas. Its not even a consideration. I don't see any scenario where the Habs leave one of these two unprotected. Hudon is a maybe to be protected.

On defence Vegas might like Beaulieu due to age. I highly doubt, given the number of D available around the league, that they are interested in Benn or Emelin.

As for Plekanec's 6M cap hit. The idea here is that Vegas would eat the majority of it... trading him at the deadline and retaining salary. This would make him attractive to teams. If somehow he picks up some points due to being on a weak team and getting PP time and zone starts, the picks and prospects they will get for him will be very good.

Thats the attraction here, flipping him down the road.

Old
05-16-2017, 09:55 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Hudon

Hudon's issue isn't size. It's skating.

Old
05-16-2017, 10:04 AM
7 day theory

Quote:
Danault and byron will both be protected. There is no chance they are even available to Vegas. Its not even a consideration. I don't see any scenario where the Habs leave one of these two unprotected. Hudon is a maybe to be protected.

On defence Vegas might like Beaulieu due to age. I highly doubt, given the number of D available around the league, that they are interested in Benn or Emelin.

As for Plekanec's 6M cap hit. The idea here is that Vegas would eat the majority of it... trading him at the deadline and retaining salary. This would make him attractive to teams. If somehow he picks up some points due to being on a weak team and getting PP time and zone starts, the picks and prospects they will get for him will be very good.

He's done that the last 5yrs on the Habs, so that shouldn't be an issue

Old
05-16-2017, 10:25 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:

This

We protect 7 forwards and those 2 will be protected.

Old
05-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
My point is I rather not risk exposing him, however slim the chance, when the players we would protect in olace of him are easily replaced and not desirable.
I think most Habs fans would love to have him re signed to a team friendly deal. Are you saying we protect him even if he is not re signed? I really don't think that is necessary. Radulov will go to UFA... it's the smart move. If he really wants to play in Vegas... why try to stop him or delay it?

Old
05-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Hudon's issue isn't size. It's skating.
It sure is his main weakness (just like Galchenyuk, he is an average skater; they are not slow skaters btw) but his shot arsenal, his vision, his compete level and defensive awareness are all high enough to produce an overall positive contribution. I think he is ready to be a solid 2nd/3rd line contributor in Montreal.

Side question: Who scored more goals than him during the last 2 AHL seasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
This

We protect 7 forwards and those 2 will be protected.
I tend to agree but at the same time, I somewhat think that we just witnessed Byron's best season. Assuming we protect Danault and Byron, if I am LV, my choice would be 1. Hudon and 2. Beaulieu.

Old
05-16-2017, 02:04 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
It sure is his main weakness (just like Galchenyuk, he is an average skater; they are not slow skaters btw) but his shot arsenal, his vision, his compete level and defensive awareness are all high enough to prod
Uh no.... Not "just like Galchenyuk" at all.

Alex is a much better skater than Hudon. Not the same. Hudon is not an "average" skater, he is a poor skater. If you look at both of those guys skate and see the same thing, I would seriously question your judgement on hockey players.

Old
05-16-2017, 02:46 PM
LastWordArmy

Quote:
It sure is his main weakness (just like Galchenyuk, he is an average skater; they are not slow skaters btw) but his shot arsenal, his vision, his compete level and defensive awareness are all high enough to produce an overall positive contribution. I think he is ready to be a solid 2nd/3rd line contributor in Montreal.

Side question: Who scored more goals than him during the last 2 AHL seasons?

I tend to agree but at the same time, I somewhat think that we just witnessed Byron's best season. Assuming we protect Danault and Byron, if I am LV, my choice would be 1. Hudon and 2. Beaulieu.
We may have witnessed Byron's best season, but even if he scores 10+ goals instead of 20, plus provides his speed and penalty killing, he's a bargain at 1.16 million per year for two more years.

Old
05-16-2017, 07:53 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Uh no.... Not "just like Galchenyuk" at all.

Alex is a much better skater than Hudon. Not the same. Hudon is not an "average" skater, he is a poor skater. If you look at both of those guys skate and see the same thing, I would seriously question your judgement on hockey players.
In terms of speed, I consider them as average. Galchenyuk has better top speed, Hudon's reaction time is quicker, and both players have average acceleration.

Old
05-17-2017, 12:51 AM
groovejuice

Quote:

I think Byron has improved his game substantially in Montreal, but not nearly enough to produce like he did in the last season. His 23% shooting percentage is not likely to be repeated.

I think DLR might be on the LV radar as well. I hope we get the chance to see him play in Laval, as he's improving every season and may benefit as much or more than anyone with a change of coaches.

Old
05-17-2017, 12:59 AM
Belial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I think Byron has improved his game substantially in Montreal, but not nearly enough to produce like he did in the last season. His 23% shooting percentage is not likely to be repeated.

I think DLR might be on the LV radar as well. I hope we get the chance to see him play in Laval, as he's improving every season and may benefit as much or more than anyone with a change of coaches.
DLR is going to stay with the big club as I doubt they will risk losing him on waivers.

Old
05-17-2017, 01:11 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
DLR is going to stay with the big club as I doubt they will risk losing him on waivers.
That's always a risk. I'd like to see DLR start the season with Montreal, but I'll wait until we see who Bergevin keeps for the bottom 6.

Old
05-17-2017, 06:30 AM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:

I agree with you about Beaulieu. If he is left unprotected, he's the guy I would take. He's still young and you can sign him to a multi year contract under a very good team friendly deal. He's got size, can skate very well, and has overall good game. He's just not overally offensive or has reached that potential.

Not sure LV picks Benn, Emelin, and Davidson. Becuase of the very reason you mentioned. The selection on D for Vegas will be very good and there will be guys with more upside.

Pleky is interesting. I think it's 50/50 between him and Hudon on who is the last forward protected. If Pleky is taken, our depth up the middle is then Danault, Mitchell, Shaw, McCarron, DLR and perhaps Galchenyuk? It's risky to lose Pleky without a replacement IMO. I know there are several fans who say it's no big loss but I worry about us not being able to pull off a trade or free agent signing that would be an upgrade over Pleky.

I rather lose Emelin than Pleky in the expansion draft. Then once we find a top 2 center, you either send Pleky the other way (if its a trade) or you trade Pleky and retain some salary in another trade. There would be teams that have great depth at center and use Pleky as a 3C.

Old
05-17-2017, 06:42 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post

To be fair I think Byron's SH% has a lot to do with the breakaways and odd man rushes he creates with his speed. I also don't think he will sustain it, but it'll always be higher than normal.

Old
05-17-2017, 07:29 AM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
To be fair I think Byron's SH% has a lot to do with the breakaways and odd man rushes he creates with his speed. I also don't think he will sustain it, but it'll always be higher than normal.
I think Byron will continue to have the same speed until he reaches his early 30's. Why would we expect him to slow down in the next 2 or 3 seasons? We can't expect 20+ goals every season for sure but he will create scoring chances with his speed. That won't change and in 2 seasons he needs a new contract. His contract is a steal for the Habs at $1.17M for two more years!

If anything, he showed us this year how much he is willing to work to be a regular NHL player. His commitment is there and he has proven this. His contract is very low so he is sure to work just as hard in the next 2 seasons so he can cash in with the next contract. I wasn't a big fan of him heading into last season but he has proved and so many people wrong. I have huge respect for this guy and his ability to overcome obstacles.

What a great waiver pickup by MB! And then the realization of his potential and 3 year contract extension.

Old
05-30-2017, 04:43 PM
montreal
Global Moderator
Go Habs Go

Just out, the NHL will post all 30 teams protected list on 10 am ET on Sunday, June 18.

Old
05-31-2017, 01:28 PM
pled

Quote:
Originally Posted by get25 View Post
Hudon is waiver eligible.

So either he plays in NHL or we are going to loose him.
7th scorer in AHL with 27 goals. Almost all players who had more goals were older.

He was 5th in scoring the previous year and again everybody ahead of him was older.

Pretty sure there will be at least 10 teams waiting to pick him up on waivers.
vegas will take the one of dlr or hudon montreal don't protect so they don't have to worry about waiver

Old
05-31-2017, 01:35 PM
Belial

Quote:
Originally Posted by pled View Post
vegas will take the one of dlr or hudon montreal don't protect so they don't have to worry about waiver
Why would they pick AHL players when they could pick already established NHL players?

Old
05-31-2017, 02:43 PM
pled

Quote:
Why would they pick AHL players when they could pick already established NHL players?
Because they don't need overpaid aging player ? and could use rookie more than that. I really don't know why a bunch of people expect vegas to take a Emelin. They have a lot of other better player to choose from.

Old
05-31-2017, 02:53 PM
Belial

Quote:
Because they don't need overpaid aging player ? and could use rookie more than that. I really don't know why a bunch of people expect vegas to take a Emelin. They have a lot of other better player to choose from.
Emelin and Plekanec are on one-year deals, they're not long term terrible contracts.

Vegas could trade them at the TDL for picks.

Old
05-31-2017, 03:06 PM
pled

Quote:
Emelin and Plekanec are on one-year deals, they're not long term terrible contracts.

Vegas could trade them at the TDL for picks.
hudon and dlr can actually have impact. a 3-4 round pick this year or next won't do anything.

Old
05-31-2017, 03:19 PM
Belial

Quote:
hudon and dlr can actually have impact. a 3-4 round pick this year or next won't do anything.
3-4 round pick? A guy like Plekanec could snatch you a first round pick at the TDL if he has a decent season next year.

And even if people think Emelin is trash I'm pretty sure his value around the league is decent.

Brendan Smith was traded for a 2017 3rd round pick and a 2018 2nd round pick.

Ron Hainsey was traded for Kristo and a second round pick.

Closed Thread