HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Expansion Draft Discussion II

View Poll Results: Who do you think Vegas will draft from our team?
Mitchell 3 0.90%
Byron 43 12.84%
Beaulieu 107 31.94%
Emelin 79 23.58%
Davidson 23 6.87%
Benn 36 10.75%
Other 44 13.13%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Runner77

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
From cbc.ca

Potentially protected:

Forwards Alex Galchenyuk, Branden Gallagher, Alexander Radulov, Max Pacioretty, Paul Byron, Andrew Shaw, Phillip Danault
Defencemen Jeff Petry, Shea Weber, Nathan Beaulieu
Goalie Carey Price

Intriguing exposed:

Tomas Plekanec (F), Jacob De la Rose (F- RFA), Alexei Emelin (D), Greg Pateryn (D)

I agree with this list and I wouldn't be surprised if Emelin is the one to leave.

For Markov and Radulov, MB needs to have an agreement with both will sign after the draft. Don't want to expose Danault, Byron of Beaulieu if we have to protect Radulov and Markov.
I suspect they'll go for the 7-3-1 formula as it allows to protect 2 more players and the way Byron has emerged and the little he costs, they're going to be hard pressed to shield him.

The Emelin vs. Beaulieu showdown continues -- will one of them be dealt at the TDL?

Old
01-09-2017, 02:40 PM
Agalloch
EliteProspects

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategize View Post
I'll go against the popular opinion and protect 4 d-men. Emelin has been rock solid this season. Definitely a top 4 d on any team with the way he's played up until now. Rarely seen him missed a defensive assignment.

Chuck
Patch
Gallagher
Byron
Shaw
Danault

Weber
Emelin
Petry
Beaulieu

Price

Zero chance LV picks Rads or Markov because they won't resign with them. We can resign them after the expansion draft.
It's 8 skaters if you want 4 D. It's not worth it IMO.

Old
01-09-2017, 02:42 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
I suspect they'll go for the 7-3-1 formula as it allows to protect 2 more players and the way Byron has emerged and the little he costs, they're going to be hard pressed to shield him.

The Emelin vs. Beaulieu showdown continues -- will one of them be dealt at the TDL?
They're trying to win, they won't...

Both players are replaceable, not a huge loss, we aren't Minnesota. Our situation is very comfortable. No useless contract to protect (ex. Pominville (he'll be bought out)), no extra defenceman or forward assured to loss (ex. TB) or a young goalie to be made available (maybe Murray ??)

Really, there's nothing to worry about and when the playoffs will be over, Bergevin will be one of the few GM who won't lose much sleep over the expansion draft... maybe even be able to land a few good deals...

Last edited by MTL-rules: 01-09-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old
01-09-2017, 02:45 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
They're trying to win, they won't...

Both players are replaceable, not a huge loss, we aren't Minnesota. Our situation is very comfortable. No useless contract to protect (ex. Pominville (he'll be waived)), no extra defenceman or forward assured to loss (ex. TB) or a young goalie to be made available (maybe Murray ??)

Really, there's nothing to worry about and when the playoffs will be over, Bergevin will be one of the few GM who won't lose much sleep over the expansion draft... maybe even be able to land a few good deals...
I don't exactly know about Pominville's status and I'm too lazy to check.

But...
If a player has to be protected, that means he has an NMC.
If he was an NMC, that means he cannot be waived.

Old
01-09-2017, 02:47 PM
MXD

The silver lining : the guy we might have to not protect is a LD.

There will be quite a few available, and Beaulieu/Emelin might not be the best ones.

Old
01-09-2017, 02:48 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I don't exactly know about Pominville's status and I'm too lazy to check.

But...
If a player has to be protected, that means he has an NMC.
If he was an NMC, that means he cannot be waived.
My mistake I meant to write bought out...

Old
01-27-2017, 09:11 AM
Pierre Lebrun

Habs Expansion - Complete Picture

Especially with the addition of Nesterov... what does it mean for Beaulieu or Emelin? If we trade Bealieu, does it allow us to keep Emelin and Nesterov.

Does anyone have the complete picture of expansion players and rulings for Habs?

Old
01-27-2017, 09:14 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Lebrun View Post
Especially with the addition of Nesterov... what does it mean for Beaulieu or Emelin? If we trade Bealieu, does it allow us to keep Emelin and Nesterov.

Does anyone have the complete picture of expansion players and rulings for Habs?
Nesterov isn't a top four defenceman, why would it mean anything for those two? Very little chance LV would take Nesterov because of his RFA status and KHL threat.

Old
01-27-2017, 09:20 AM
Pierre Lebrun

I get that... but there's some thought out there that Nesterov (still young) could take Beaulieu's spot or spell that Beaulieu could be moved. Whether you feel Nesterov is worthy of that spot or not, I'm asking what the expansion situation is for all these scenarios:

Keep Beaulieu, Emelin, Nesterov
Keep Emelin, Nesterov, Expose Beaulieu
Trade Beaulieu, keep Emelin, Nesterov - specifically this one, do we still have to expose one of Emelin or Nesterov?

Old
01-27-2017, 09:34 AM
danyhabsfan

Beaulieu is way better than Nesterov.

We only protect 3 defenseman anyway. (Weber, Petry and Beaulieu/Emelin)

Nesterov situation has nothing to do with Beaulieu or Emelin.

Old
01-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Kojo

I'm somewhat satisfied. I mean it could be a lot more worse.

Old
01-27-2017, 09:39 AM
MXD

The addition of Nesterov is absolutely inconsequential.

Old
01-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Draft

Quote:
I get that... but there's some thought out there that Nesterov (still young) could take Beaulieu's spot or spell that Beaulieu could be moved. Whether you feel Nesterov is worthy of that spot or not, I'm asking what the expansion situation is for all these scenarios:

Trade Beaulieu, keep Emelin, Nesterov - specifically this one, do we still have to expose one of Emelin or Nesterov?
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansi...es/c-281010592

Three defenceman will be protected (Weber, Petry [NMC], and one of Beaulieu/Emelin).

Old
01-27-2017, 09:43 AM
montreal
Global Moderator
Go Habs Go

Quote:

check the first post, it has all the players that need to be protected vs exempt.

Old
01-27-2017, 01:12 PM
DaNaultinus
The Human Fund Donor

Could we maybe move Petry to a team that has lots of exempt D or are short on decent defencemen? We could keep both Emelin and Beaulieu then.

Old
01-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNaultinus View Post
Could we maybe move Petry to a team that has lots of exempt D or are short on decent defencemen? We could keep both Emelin and Beaulieu then.
yes... lets trade our 2nd best defenseman to protect 2 useless defenseman instead... good plan...

Old
01-27-2017, 01:39 PM
M.C.G. 31
Day One

Quote:

If people actually think this they have no idea what Nesterov actually is. He has some upside but let's get real here. Beaulieu is younger and is much, much better. If Nesterov was what some people are making him out to be (replacing Beaulieu, come on...) he'd have fetched more than just a 6th and Racine.

We're keeping Weber, Petry and Beaulieu and Vegas is most definitely not wasting one of their picks on an RFA like Nesterov lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
yes... lets trade our 2nd best defenseman to protect 2 useless defenseman instead... good plan...
Beaulieu has looked great more times than not compared to Petry who's look pretty bad for a while now. I don't know why you'd think Beaulieu is a "useless defenseman".

01-27-2017, 01:48 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C.G. 31 View Post
Beaulieu has looked great more times than not compared to Petry who's look pretty bad for a while now. I don't know why you'd think Beaulieu is a "useless defenseman".
Beaulieu is terribly inconsistent... Petry has shown way more in his career and it's not even close. Beaulieu is not a lost cause but trading Petry would be awful.

Old
01-27-2017, 01:57 PM
M.C.G. 31
Day One

Quote:
Beaulieu is terribly inconsistent... Petry has shown way more in his career and it's not even close. Beaulieu is not a lost cause but trading Petry would be awful.
Which is why you keep Weber, Petry and Beaulieu.

Beaulieu's inconsistent because he's young. This season, Petry has been terribly inconsistent as well, more so than Beaulieu, IMO.

Old
01-27-2017, 02:07 PM
DaNaultinus
The Human Fund Donor

Quote:
Petry has not been our 2nd best defenceman. Both Markov and Emelin have been more reliable this season imo

And obviously Weber

Old
01-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Unless there is some other trades... Weber, Petry, Beauleu will be the 3 defenseman protected. For those who are worried about losing Emelin, I wouldn't be. If your LV, your going after guys with term and under team control. Do LV really pick Emelin who has one year left and then can walk? That would not be a very smart pick up by them IMO.

There will be plenty of solid D for LV to pick from across the league. IMO, the Habs will lose a forward... Hudon or Plekanec (habs send a draft pick to have them pick Pleky). The Habs will not be losing any impact player as most of our key prospects are exempt due to 2 years or less of Pro experience.

Old
01-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Tim Raines

I'm still shocked at the number of people who think they might expose Beaulieu.

I would be stunned if they exposed a 24-year-old defenceman who logs 25 minutes of all-situation ice time. If so, I pretty much guarantee he's gone. And no, he is not nearly as replaceable as some seem to suggest.

Old
01-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
Unless there is some other trades... Weber, Petry, Beauleu will be the 3 defenseman protected. For those who are worried about losing Emelin, I wouldn't be. If your LV, your going after guys with term and under team control. Do LV really pick Emelin who has one year left and then can walk? That would not be a very smart pick up by them IMO.

There will be plenty of solid D for LV to pick from across the league. IMO, the Habs will lose a forward... Hudon or Plekanec (habs send a draft pick to have them pick Pleky). The Habs will not be losing any impact player as most of our key prospects are exempt due to 2 years or less of Pro experience.
Why wouldn't they take Emelin. They play him for a year and either re-sign him or trade him at the deadline for a 1st or 2nd. He'd be valuable at the deadline if he was having the season he this year.

Old
01-27-2017, 07:57 PM
Treb

Quote:

As of now the notables exposed are:

2 of Emelin, Beaulieu and Nesterov

2 of Plekanec, Hudon and Mitchell.

Old
01-27-2017, 08:38 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
I get that... but there's some thought out there that Nesterov (still young) could take Beaulieu's spot
"some thought there..."

You mean from bozos in the trade thread?

How is this "some thought out there?" Nobody with a shred of credibility has said any such thing.

Closed Thread