HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expansion Draft Discussion II

View Poll Results: Who do you think Vegas will draft from our team?
Mitchell 2 0.72%
Byron 31 11.15%
Beaulieu 88 31.65%
Emelin 69 24.82%
Davidson 17 6.12%
Benn 29 10.43%
Other 42 15.11%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-27-2017, 08:41 PM
FerrisRox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
Unless there is some other trades... Weber, Petry, Beauleu will be the 3 defenseman protected. For those who are worried about losing Emelin, I wouldn't be. If your LV, your going after guys with term and under team control. Do LV really pick Emelin who has one year left and then can walk? That would not be a very smart pick up by them IMO.

There will be plenty of solid D for LV to pick from across the league. IMO, the Habs will lose a forward... Hudon or Plekanec (habs send a draft pick to have them pick Pleky). The Habs will not be losing any impact player as most of our key prospects are exempt due to 2 years or less of Pro experience.
I don't know what is more far fetched, that Vegas would be scared of picking Emelin because he has one year left before UFA (which would make him an ideal chip for them next year at the deadline) or that they would somehow pass on one of the Canadiens blue liners to instead draft Charles Hudon.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2017, 08:47 PM
get25

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Why wouldn't they take Emelin. They play him for a year and either re-sign him or trade him at the deadline for a 1st or 2nd. He'd be valuable at the deadline if he was having the season he this year.
First, at 4.1M, there are plenty of choices for LV to play on bottom-2.
So if they pick Emelin, it is to play on top-4.

I see many d-men competing with Emelin for given SCap (in alphabetic team order):
  1. Fowler (Anaheim);
  2. Stone (Arizona);
  3. McQuaid/Miller/Miller (Boston);
  4. Kulikov/Franson (Buffalo);
  5. Jokkipaka (Calgary);
  6. Slavin/Pesce/Murphy (Carolina);
  7. Kempny/Van Riemdyk (Chicago);
  8. Beauchemin/Zadorv/Gelinas (Colorado);
  9. Johnson (Columbus);
  10. Oduya/Oleksiak/Lindell/Nemeth (Dallas);
  11. Ericson/Smith/Marchekov (Detroit);
  12. Fayne/Russel/Davidson/Gryba/Reinhart/Simpson/Musil (Edmonton);
  13. Kindl/Psysk/Petrovic (Florida);
  14. Greene/McNabb/Forbort (Los Angeles);
  15. Brodin/Scandella (Minnesota);
  16. Emelin (Montreal);
  17. Ellis (Nashville);

That is 17 teams (roughly half of the teams).
I am pretty sure LV can find two top-4 in that list that are better deal (performance and SCap) than Emelin.
BTW, I am not saying that all these d-men are better than Emelin (Fowler and Ellis certainly are). Also this list is not the final list.

Add DeHann, Holden, Ceci, Pouliot/Dumoulin, Martin, Edmundson, Sustr, Manrincin, Sbisa, Orlov, Myers.

Pretty sure Las Vegas will find 4 d-men for their top-4 that more suitable than Emelin.
And at 4.1M Emelin is not a good deal as a bottom-6: they can find better.

On the other hand, Beaulieu, coming off a 1M contract and scoring at a pace of 25-30 points is a pretty good deal.
At that price (2-2.5M), LV could even have him on bottom-6.

get25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2017, 09:02 PM
G0bias

With Emelin and Byron, both players have looked good for us this year while being put in more favorable situations than they normally would be. Emelin with Weber and Byron getting some stretches with Radulov, Galchenyuk plus PP time. I'm asking myself just how much of their improved play is the result of new the role they have.

So I've been asking myself something lately.
Let's say Lehkonen passes Byron in the depth chart by next season. Which is a good possibility. Byron goes back to being strictly third line and no PP and paces for about 25-30pts instead of 46. Will he still be more valuable than a 20 minutes Emelin? (taking into account we haven't found another D to replace him on the top pair)

Personally I'd expose Emelin over the other possibles as I think Byron will continue getting some top 6 minutes here and there next season and its hard to justify losing his production at such a low cost. But its an interesting situation.

Last edited by G0bias: 01-27-2017 at 09:09 PM.
G0bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2017, 09:08 PM
Treb

vCash: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by get25 View Post
First, at 4.1M, there are plenty of choices for LV to play on bottom-2.
So if they pick Emelin, it is to play on top-4.

I see many d-men competing with Emelin for given SCap (in alphabetic team order):
list

That is 17 teams (roughly half of the teams).
I am pretty sure LV can find two top-4 in that list that are better deal (performance and SCap) than Emelin.
BTW, I am not saying that all these d-men are better than Emelin (Fowler and Ellis certainly are). Also this list is not the final list.

Add DeHann, Holden, Ceci, Pouliot/Dumoulin, Martin, Edmundson, Sustr, Manrincin, Sbisa, Orlov, Myers.

Pretty sure Las Vegas will find 4 d-men for their top-4 that more suitable than Emelin.
And at 4.1M Emelin is not a good deal as a bottom-6: they can find better.

On the other hand, Beaulieu, coming off a 1M contract and scoring at a pace of 25-30 points is a pretty good deal.
At that price (2-2.5M), LV could even have him on bottom-6.
Your list without the exempted due to 1st/2nd year or NMC and UFA bolded:
  1. Fowler (Anaheim);
  2. Stone (Arizona);
  3. McQuaid/Miller/Miller (Boston);
  4. Kulikov/Franson (Buffalo);
  5. Jokkipaka (Calgary);
  6. Murphy (Carolina);
  7. Van Riemdyk (Chicago);
  8. Zadorov/Gelinas (Colorado);
  9. Johnson (Columbus);
  10. Oduya/Oleksiak/Lindell/Nemeth (Dallas);
  11. Ericsson/Smith/Marchenko (Detroit);
  12. Fayne/Russel/Davidson/Gryba/Reinhart/Simpson/Musil (Edmonton);
  13. Kindl/Psysk/Petrovic (Florida);
  14. Greene/McNabb/Forbort (Los Angeles);
  15. Brodin/Scandella (Minnesota);
  16. Emelin (Montreal);
  17. Ellis (Nashville);

Cuts several interesting options for LV.

I will also add that LV will not care about cap hit in the first year as they will not reach the cap for sure.

Treb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 07:00 AM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Why wouldn't they take Emelin. They play him for a year and either re-sign him or trade him at the deadline for a 1st or 2nd. He'd be valuable at the deadline if he was having the season he this year.
I don't know about you but if I was the GM of LV, I'd be targeting young players on team friendly deals so I can create a stock pile. Remember, this is LV's chance to play catch up with the rest of the league. If I wanted a guy like Emelin, I'd simply just sign them in the free agent period. Emelin is having a good year because he is playing with Weber. Lets not be fooled here.

Hey, Emelin just might be the guy they take due to not many other good options they Habs will expose but I'm not too sure they do. There will be plenty of defense exposed around the league as the expansion draft was set up this way. If teams decide to keep 4D instead of 3D, then that leaves additional forwards available.

I say the following players worth mentioning will be exposed on the Habs roster... Pleky, Carr, Hudon, DLR, Emelin, Nesterov, Pateryn, Montoya. To me it's Pleky (if the habs send a draft pick to have them take him), or Hudon. And now we can add Nesterov to the mix too.

HabsGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 08:33 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
I say the following players worth mentioning will be exposed on the Habs roster... Pleky, Carr, Hudon, DLR, Emelin, Nesterov, Pateryn, Montoya. To me it's Pleky (if the habs send a draft pick to have them take him), or Hudon. And now we can add Nesterov to the mix too.
I think you're out of your mind if you think Charles Hudon would be a more valuable pick up to the Knights then Emelin.

Emelin they could flip for a 2nd rounder at the deadline next year. Hudon they could acquire for a 6th rounder.

Makes no sense.

Old
01-30-2017, 08:58 AM
smirob

If I am Bergevin, I would be looking at moving Beaulieu for an exempt player in the hopes that Plekanec gets claimed and frees up 6M for some more help next year.

smirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 09:14 AM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I think you're out of your mind if you think Charles Hudon would be a more valuable pick up to the Knights then Emelin.

Emelin they could flip for a 2nd rounder at the deadline next year. Hudon they could acquire for a 6th rounder.

Makes no sense.
Your exaggerating a bit there IMO. Emelin does not acquire a 2nd rounder as a pending UFA and Hudon is worth more than a 6th rounder. Hudon has a lot of upside but yes he is not considered a top tier prospect. However, he does have 0.76 pts/game in the AHL and 4 pts in 6 games in the NHL so far. Plus your saying you pick a guy with the intent of trading him for a future pick. LV needs guys who are more NHL ready and under team control for many seasons. Hudon fits due to what will be available on the Habs available players to select from. Nesterov is another guy that may be selected now that the Habs have acquired him.

Call me stupid all you want, but I take Hudon over Emelin in the expansion draft. In the end though with LV, it comes down to team build-up and who they are targeting from each team and what they have available. A matter of circumstance.

Having said all of this... If I were the Habs, I see if LV wants Pleky and Id be willing to send them a 4th round draft pick to have them take him and the one year of $6M remaining. Habs need an upgrade at 2nd line center and the $6M would help!

Last edited by HabsGorgeous: 01-30-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old
01-30-2017, 09:47 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Your exaggerating a bit there IMO. Emelin does not acquire a 2nd rounder as a pending UFA and Hudon is worth more than a 6th rounder.
Yes he would. No he isn't.

Old
01-30-2017, 09:55 AM
Respeck
Emmy BOOM

Quote:
Your exaggerating a bit there IMO. Emelin does not acquire a 2nd rounder as a pending UFA and Hudon is worth more than a 6th rounder. Hudon has a lot of upside but yes he is not considered a top tier prospect. However, he does have 0.76 pts/game in the AHL and 4 pts in 6 games in the NHL so far. Plus your saying you pick a guy with the intent of trading him for a future pick. LV needs guys who are more NHL ready and under team control for many seasons. Hudon fits due to what will be available on the Habs available players to select from. Nesterov is another guy that may be selected now that the Habs have acquired him.

Call me stupid all you want, but I take Hudon over Emelin in the expansion draft. In the end though with LV, it comes down to team build-up and who they are targeting from each team and what they have available. A matter of circumstance.

Having said all of this... If I were the Habs, I see if LV wants Pleky and Id be willing to send them a 4th round draft pick to have them take him and the one year of $6M remaining. Habs need an upgrade at 2nd line center and the $6M would help!
Every year a veteran, defensive D gets overpaid for at the deadline.. Emelin easily gets a second rounder as a rental next year, possibly even more.

Respeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 11:23 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respeck View Post
Every year a veteran, defensive D gets overpaid for at the deadline.. Emelin easily gets a second rounder as a rental next year, possibly even more.
Hell, Roman Polak and a scrub returned two second rounders. Vegas would be in a position to eat half the salary and drive up the returns on any of their pending UFA veterans.

I think its a much smarter strategy for the Knights to grab veterans they can peddle off for picks then it is to waste expansion draft picks on minor league tweeners.

A veteran blueliner like Emelin that can step into an established teams top six would return a couple of Charles Hudon like minor leaguers in a trade right after the expansion draft from teams that lost a veteran in the draft. Why wouldn't they flip a couple of AHLers that can't crack their roster for a D-man they need.

It's only common sense.

Old
01-30-2017, 11:34 AM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respeck View Post
Before this season, Emelin couldn't get you a bag of pucks. Now that he's playing with Weber, he's worth a 2nd rounder at the trade deadline? Truth is in the middle somewhere and yes that's a huge gap! lol. I love the Emelin/Weber combo as it's a solid shut down pairing. However, Every GM in the league knows how Emelin's stock has risen due to him playing with Weber.

Yes at the trade deadline, the value of each player goes up due to supply and demand. However, I'm not so sure he gets a 2nd rounder. I say 3rd or 4th is more accurate.

Old
01-30-2017, 11:40 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Before this season, Emelin couldn't get you a bag of pucks. Now that he's playing with Weber, he's worth a 2nd rounder at the trade deadline? Truth is in the middle somewhere and yes that's a huge gap! lol. I love the Emelin/Weber combo as it's a solid shut down pairing. However, Every GM in the league knows how Emelin's stock has risen due to him playing with Weber.

Yes at the trade deadline, the value of each player goes up due to supply and demand. However, I'm not so sure he gets a 2nd rounder. I say 3rd or 4th is more accurate.
This is nonsense.

Before this year the issue with Emelin was the term and hit on his contract.

He was worth as much Roman Polak and the like *before* he was paired with Weber, which you seem to think has magically improved his play.

Next year, as a pending UFA, a hard hitting blue liner that can log over twenty minutes a night is absolutely worth, at the bare minimum, a second round draft pick. To argue otherwise is just ridiculous. A 3rd or a 4th rounder? Are you just doubling down on dumb instead of acknowledging an obvious mistake? You can't actually believe that a pending UFA Alexei Emelin would return a 4th rounder. There's a mountain of evidence pointing to the obvious fact that he could fetch that. Look back on virtually every single trade deadline in the last twenty years.

Old
01-30-2017, 11:41 AM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
Hell, Roman Polak and a scrub returned two second rounders. Vegas would be in a position to eat half the salary and drive up the returns on any of their pending UFA veterans.

I think its a much smarter strategy for the Knights to grab veterans they can peddle off for picks then it is to waste expansion draft picks on minor league tweeners.

A veteran blueliner like Emelin that can step into an established teams top six would return a couple of Charles Hudon like minor leaguers in a trade right after the expansion draft from teams that lost a veteran in the draft. Why wouldn't they flip a couple of AHLers that can't crack their roster for a D-man they need.

It's only common sense.
The Expansion draft is LV's chance to play catch up on the pool of prospects and young players under team control vs the rest of the league. Veterans can be signed in free agent period quite easily. I get what your saying but your not considering how much a NHL ready guy is worth from the age of 21-25. The issue LV will have with the Habs is all our top prospects (Sergachev, Juulsen, Lehkonen, McCarron, Scherbak) are all exempt due to playing 2 years or less of pro hockey. The selection is not great on the Habs vs many other teams. It all will come down to who they are targeting and who they can get from other teams. Emelin may be the guy but if I was LV, I'd go after NHL ready guys instead. Taking Emelin and then trading him at the trade deadline the year later ( for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or whatever) doesn't help them today which is what they need.

In truth, LV's roster will be comprised of a very good "half team" and then a bunch of other guys fighting for spots. They need to stock pile as many young controlled NHL players from the age of (20-25) IMO. They will target certain veterans but I suspect that will be maybe 3 or 4 players from across the league. The rest of the team will be very young!

Quote:
This is nonsense.

Before this year the issue with Emelin was the term and hit on his contract.

He was worth as much Roman Polak and the like *before* he was paired with Weber, which you seem to think has magically improved his play.

Next year, as a pending UFA, a hard hitting blue liner that can log over twenty minutes a night is absolutely worth, at the bare minimum, a second round draft pick. To argue otherwise is just ridiculous. A 3rd or a 4th rounder? Are you just doubling down on dumb instead of acknowledging an obvious mistake? You can't actually believe that a pending UFA Alexei Emelin would return a 4th rounder. There's a mountain of evidence pointing to the obvious fact that he could fetch that. Look back on virtually every single trade deadline in the last twenty years.
Nonsense, Ridiculous, and Mountain of evidence eh. Emelin is solid but the guy has no offense. He would be a depth move by any team at the trade deadline and not so sure he snags a 2nd round pick. Maybe but I'd give a 3rd or 4th at best.

Last edited by montreal: 01-30-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old
01-30-2017, 12:08 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
TTaking Emelin and then trading him at the trade deadline the year later ( for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or whatever) doesn't help them today which is what they need.

You think what Vegas needs is to make moves that help them today?

They are a first year expansion team!

How stupid would they have to be to be making moves for "today?" Even if that were their mandate - which it quite obviously will not be - they would be much better off with a veteran NHL player like Emelin, or Torrey Mitchell, or Tomas Plekanec, etc. then they would with an AHL tweener like Charles Hudon.

To take Hudon is to just throw the pick away. Drafting a veteran that can lend them some credibility "today" and then been flipped for a 2nd rounder or a pick and a prospect at the deadline is much better asset management and actually helps them build a franchise.

You think it's tough to build an NHL team out of the unwanted scraps of NHL rosters ... well you're suggesting they instead build the roster out of unwanted AHL scraps. This is not a recipe for success.

Look at the Wild/Jackets Expansion draft. Because the league was adding two teams, the pickings were much slimmer and those teams had to draft a handful of AHLers.

That led to names like this being taken in that draft: Jeff Williams, Tommi Rajamaki, Chris Armstrong, Barrie Moore, Oleg Orekhovsky, Jonas Junkka, Jeff Daw, Dimitri Subbotin, Michal Bros, Martin Streit, Stefan Nilsson, Zak Bierk. This is not a strategy that works.

Meanwhile, veterans like Joe Juneau, Dallas Drake, Mike Vernon, Turner Stevenson and Chris Terreri were all selected and they were flipped that same day to other teams for futures.

Established NHLers are always going to be worth a lot more than AHL players in the early 20's who haven't make the jump yet. It's a waste of a pick for Vegas. They can acquire guys like Charles Hudon much cheaper than the value they could get out of an Expansion pick.

Quote:
Nonsense, Ridiculous, and Mountain of evidence eh. Emelin is solid but the guy has no offense. He would be a depth move by any team at the trade deadline and not so sure he snags a 2nd round pick. Maybe but I'd give a 3rd or 4th at best.
Good point, I foolishly didn't factor in Roman Polak's offensive prowess.

I guess the same could be said for Douglas Murray who brought in two 2nd rounders at the deadline a couple of years ago.

Would you concede, if Emelin could step up his offence to the level of Roman Polak or Douglas Murray, who both landed two second rounders, then maybe, just maybe, Emelin could get one?

Last edited by montreal: 01-30-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old
01-30-2017, 12:17 PM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:

You think what Vegas needs is to make moves that help them today?

They are a first year expansion team!

How stupid would they have to be to be making moves for "today?" Even if that were their mandate - which it quite obviously will not be - they would be much better off with a veteran NHL player like Emelin, or Torrey Mitchell, or Tomas Plekanec, etc. then they would with an AHL tweener like Charles Hudon.

To take Hudon is to just throw the pick away. Drafting a veteran that can lend them some credibility "today" and then been flipped for a 2nd rounder or a pick and a prospect at the deadline is much better asset management and actually helps them build a franchise.

You think it's tough to build an NHL team out of the unwanted scraps of NHL rosters ... well you're suggesting they instead build the roster out of unwanted AHL scraps. This is not a recipe for success.

Look at the Wild/Jackets Expansion draft. Because the league was adding two teams, the pickings were much slimmer and those teams had to draft a handful of AHLers.

That led to names like this being taken in that draft: Jeff Williams, Tommi Rajamaki, Chris Armstrong, Barrie Moore, Oleg Orekhovsky, Jonas Junkka, Jeff Daw, Dimitri Subbotin, Michal Bros, Martin Streit, Stefan Nilsson, Zak Bierk. This is not a strategy that works.

Meanwhile, veterans like Joe Juneau, Dallas Drake, Mike Vernon, Turner Stevenson and Chris Terreri were all selected and they were flipped that same day to other teams for futures.

Established NHLers are always going to be worth a lot more than AHL players in the early 20's who haven't make the jump yet. It's a waste of a pick for Vegas. They can acquire guys like Charles Hudon much cheaper than the value they could get out of an Expansion pick.
Hudon is a unwanted AHL scrap eh. You clearly like to exaggerate to support what you think. I bet you LV will take 5 players that have played less than 50 NHL games. All a matter of circumstance and what's available on each team. I'll be clear. I'd take Hudon due to what's available on the Habs roster (Not because Hudon is super elite and should be picked). If I was LV, I'm taking a few veterans and maybe some other guys I may use to acquire future assets but I primarily focus on 20-25 year olds who are NHL ready or already in the NHL.

I really don't think Emelin is a hot commodity. He may get picked but what happens when LV picks him and he has a very off year because he's not playing with Weber anymore. What do you get for him at the trade deadline then? LV is definitly looking at that possible outcome too you know. I do agree Hudon is unproven but your really not taking a serious look at what he has accomplished so far. He has upside and is very NHL ready!

0.76 pts per game over 175 AHL games and 4 pts in 6 NHL games is not AHL scraps!

Last edited by HabsGorgeous: 01-30-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old
01-30-2017, 12:22 PM
MarkovsKnee

The problem with trading an NHL player for exempt assets is that those assets may not be NHL ready.

Say you trade Beaulieu for a 2nd and exempt player X and protect Emelin. Then LV takes Pateryn. Now, you're down 2 NHL D instead of one and you've greatly affected an area that we don't have a lot of NHL depth in to begin with.

If you just protect Beaulieu and let them take Emelin at least you still have Pateryn. You've only lost one NHL D.

It would help us greatly if LV took a forward. DLR could be of interest to them because he's a big guy who can skate. He's also only 21 with NHL experience. He'd probably easily fit into a 4th line center role for them and help them kill penalties, etc. That kind of experience would be enormous for him and I'm sure he would improve a lot. In the big West his size and speed is an asset.

MB will have to negotiate some kind of deal so that LV leaves our D alone. DLR & a 2018 2nd would probably do it.

Plekanec would have to be traded at the draft.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 12:30 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
The problem with trading an NHL player for exempt assets is that those assets may not be NHL ready.

Say you trade Beaulieu for a 2nd and exempt player X and protect Emelin. Then LV takes Pateryn. Now, you're down 2 NHL D instead of one and you've greatly affected an area that we don't have a lot of NHL depth in to begin with.

If you just protect Beaulieu and let them take Emelin at least you still have Pateryn. You've only lost one NHL D.

It would help us greatly if LV took a forward. DLR could be of interest to them because he's a big guy who can skate. He's also only 21 with NHL experience. He'd probably easily fit into a 4th line center role for them and help them kill penalties, etc. That kind of experience would be enormous for him and I'm sure he would improve a lot. In the big West his size and speed is an asset.

MB will have to negotiate some kind of deal so that LV leaves our D alone. DLR & a 2018 2nd would probably do it.

Good post

This same thing has been said by Minnesota Wild fans who have argued against the logic of trading away a blue liner to "save him" from the Expansion Draft and then likely end up down two NHL defenders when an additional defenseman gets taken in the draft. What's the point?

I agree with your point on De La Rose as well. Of any of the Canadiens AHLer, I think he's the most likely to be taken and the one who's game can clearly translate to the NHL and he could fill a role on the fourth line.

That being said, i still think players like Emelin, Pateryn, Mitchell of Plekanec are much more likely candidates.

Old
01-30-2017, 12:41 PM
smirob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post

So we'd be losing DLR + 2nd Rnd Pick + an unprotected forward in order to keep Pateryn?

Pateryn is a good bottom pairing defenceman, but if someone offered me a 2nd round pick for him + prospect(s) I would probably take the offer before they told me who the prospect was.

If LV had the choice between Plekanec/DLR/Pateryn and they don't take Plekanec (who would have the highest value come 2018 TDL) - they're poorly run. Without even taking the cap requirements into the question, it's a no brainer.

My worry is: we will lose Beaulieu or Emelin for nothing, I would prefer we turn that value into a roster forward even if it means we expose a lesser forward in the process.

smirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 12:42 PM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
Good post

This same thing has been said by Minnesota Wild fans who have argued against the logic of trading away a blue liner to "save him" from the Expansion Draft and then likely end up down two NHL defenders when an additional defenseman gets taken in the draft. What's the point?

I agree with your point on De La Rose as well. Of any of the Canadiens AHLer, I think he's the most likely to be taken and the one who's game can clearly translate to the NHL and he could fill a role on the fourth line.

That being said, i still think players like Emelin, Pateryn, Mitchell of Plekanec are much more likely candidates.
You can omit Mitchell. He's not get picked. Pateryn will get picked over Emelin due to contract and age. Plekanec only gets picked if the Habs make a deal with LV. DLR I do agree with. He may get snagged. LV does not have great options when it comes to the Habs!

Old
01-30-2017, 12:51 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
I bet you LV will take 5 players that have played less than 50 NHL games. If I was LV, I'm taking a few veterans and maybe some other guys I may use to acquire future assets but I primarily focus on 20-25 year olds who are NHL ready or already in the NHL.
Expansion teams, because they have so few options and no farm system, often give opportunities to high scoring minor leaguers.

The San Jose Sharks had David Bruce in the inaugural lineup. He had 64 goals and 116 points in 60 games for the Peoria Riverman the season before.

Bruce posted 38 points with the Sharks in 1991-92. The following year he had five points in 17 games, the year after no points in 2 games and then he never played in the NHL again.

The following year the Senators opened their season with Neil Brady on the roster. Brady had 96 points in Utica in 1991 and posted 42 points in 33 games the following year again with Utica. With Ottawa, he played 55 games and scored 24 points. The following season he played five games and was out of the NHL.

The Tampa Bay Lightning's first season they gave a chance to Steve Maltais. He had put up 36 goals and 79 points with the Baltimore Skipjacks in '91 then scored 56 points in 48 games for the Kalamazoo Wings the following year. He joined Tampa and had 20 points in 63 games and played four games the following season in the NHL before returning to the minors for the rest of his career.

If you are a forward and you're in the AHL for three or four seasons, you're into your early 20's and you haven't made the leap, there's generally a reason for that. It's not logical for a team to pass on acquiring an established NHL player that can help their roster or be flipped for a pick or a prospect. The track record is not good and it's poor asset management. The Knights have the chance to select 30 NHL players. That's a chance to build some organizational depth and add some trade chips.

Old
01-30-2017, 01:10 PM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
Expansion teams, because they have so few options and no farm system, often give opportunities to high scoring minor leaguers.

The San Jose Sharks had David Bruce in the inaugural lineup. He had 64 goals and 116 points in 60 games for the Peoria Riverman the season before.

Bruce posted 38 points with the Sharks in 1991-92. The following year he had five points in 17 games, the year after no points in 2 games and then he never played in the NHL again.

The following year the Senators opened their season with Neil Brady on the roster. Brady had 96 points in Utica in 1991 and posted 42 points in 33 games the following year again with Utica. With Ottawa, he played 55 games and scored 24 points. The following season he played five games and was out of the NHL.

The Tampa Bay Lightning's first season they gave a chance to Steve Maltais. He had put up 36 goals and 79 points with the Baltimore Skipjacks in '91 then scored 56 points in 48 games for the Kalamazoo Wings the following year. He joined Tampa and had 20 points in 63 games and played four games the following season in the NHL before returning to the minors for the rest of his career.

If you are a forward and you're in the AHL for three or four seasons, you're into your early 20's and you haven't made the leap, there's generally a reason for that. It's not logical for a team to pass on acquiring an established NHL player that can help their roster or be flipped for a pick or a prospect. The track record is not good and it's poor asset management. The Knights have the chance to select 30 NHL players. That's a chance to build some organizational depth and add some trade chips.
It's called player development when the player is not elite level. There are just as many cases where players spend 3 AHL seasons to develop and end up being NHL impact players as appose to career AHL'ers. I get what your saying but with the Habs, there is not much good options is what I'm saying. Taking Emelin with the hope of him maintaining his value (not playing with Weber) and then trading him for a 2nd round pick a year later is just as a stretch as selecting a NHL ready prospect that has developed his game in the AHL over the last few seasons.

Old
01-30-2017, 01:29 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
It's called player development when the player is not elite level. There are just as many cases where players spend 3 AHL seasons to develop and end up being NHL impact players as appose to career AHL'ers.
There are many examples of forwards that spend three plus years in the minors and then become impact players in the NHL?

Care to offer some of those many examples?

Old
01-30-2017, 01:35 PM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
There are many examples of forwards that spend three plus years in the minors and then become impact players in the NHL?

Care to offer some of those many examples?
Look no further than Pleky and Patch on our very own Habs team. And when did I say 3+ years? Even still, there are many examples of guys who played 3 solid years or more in the minors. Once again, it's called player development. Look it up

Old
01-30-2017, 01:43 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Look no further than Pleky and Patch on our very own Habs team. And when did I say 3+ years? Even still, there are many examples of guys who played 3 solid years or more in the minors. Once again, it's called player development. Look it up
Plekky is a good example, but Max certainly isn't.

Pacioretty played 34 NHL games in his first season as a pro and then played another 52 NHL games in his second pro season. The guy had 86 NHL games in his first two seasons as a professional. Surely you don't think that's comparable to Charles Hudon's situation. Patches has only played 84 AHL games in his career, that's barely one season, not three.

As for the three years in the minors, I don't understand why you are disputing that all of the sudden.

Charles Hudon is currently playing his third season of pro hockey, all of them predominantly in the minors despite lots of NHL call up requirement from his parent club and despite a season the team wasn't in contention and the big club was dressing people like John Scott, Bud Holloway, Mike Brown and Lucas Lessio, all guys that aren't even in the NHL anymore.

If you think three seasons in the minors is normal "player development" for NHL forwards who become "impact players", and you think there are lots of evidence of it, I'd sure like to see it.

Last edited by FerrisRox: 01-30-2017 at 01:48 PM.