HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats a fair contract for captain Koivu?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2006, 07:49 PM
  #51
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Stunning. That's the only word I can find to describe this thread.

I bet half the people in here wanting to sign Koivu for no more than 2.5 or 2 (are you kidding me? 2 million for Koivu?!) would gladly hand Ryder 3. He's leading the team in points by 5, despite having missed games. He's leading the team in +/- too. Oh, and he's the captain.

2 years for 7 million is my guess at what his contract will eventually look like. Oh, and I also think that IS a hometown discount. Open market he probably gets 4.5 million a year.

Squeaky is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 07:54 PM
  #52
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,000
vCash: 500
between 9 and 11 million for 3 years (Around 3 million/year) seems just.

x-bob is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 08:44 PM
  #53
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Stunning. That's the only word I can find to describe this thread.

I bet half the people in here wanting to sign Koivu for no more than 2.5 or 2 (are you kidding me? 2 million for Koivu?!) would gladly hand Ryder 3. He's leading the team in points by 5, despite having missed games. He's leading the team in +/- too. Oh, and he's the captain.

2 years for 7 million is my guess at what his contract will eventually look like. Oh, and I also think that IS a hometown discount. Open market he probably gets 4.5 million a year.
You know what ? schneider , the old ex-habs is having the same number of points than Saku . Perreault , another ex-habs , just one less .Do you know for witch team he plays ? Do you know that Jagr is having 75 points ? Saku has 38 pts , 37 less than Jagr. Do you know that the 2 twin sisters Sedin have more points than Saku ?

goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 09:02 PM
  #54
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
You know what ? schneider , the old ex-habs is having the same number of points than Saku . Perreault , another ex-habs , just one less .Do you know for witch team he plays ? Do you know that Jagr is having 75 points ? Saku has 38 pts , 37 less than Jagr. Do you know that the 2 twin sisters Sedin have more points than Saku ?
Did you know that everyone else on the Habs has fewer points than Koivu, and that he's widening the gap? Now Ribeiro is 7 points behind him despite playing 8 more games.

Did you know that the Habs haven't had a top 10 scorer in many years? Did you know that most teams in the NHL have secondary scorers who can take the pressure off the top guy? If the Habs had more than Kovalev and Ryder, it would be a lot easier for Koivu.

Zednik, Ribeiro, and Bonk have been impotent. Markov is the only Dman who can consistently contribute to the offense, and now he's out for 6 weeks. Finally, the Dmen are so bad with the puck that it stays in the Habs zone most of the game.

By the way, the Sedins are brothers, not sisters.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 09:29 PM
  #55
Habruti!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
I would sign Koivu but the hick is the following... Only if it allows us to complete the roster with quality additions next year. We desparatly need a Dmen on the right side and I would hope for one of Kubina or Boucher. We will likely need another center unless Bonk starts to move it a little more. Whith 5M already on Theodore it might be difficult to put all these elements under contract. I would like to see Koivu signed but not at more the 3M/year.

Habruti! is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 09:37 PM
  #56
HABit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: HABville
Country: Canada
Posts: 580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
You know what ? schneider , the old ex-habs is having the same number of points than Saku . Perreault , another ex-habs , just one less .Do you know for witch team he plays ? Do you know that Jagr is having 75 points ? Saku has 38 pts , 37 less than Jagr. Do you know that the 2 twin sisters Sedin have more points than Saku ?

Koivu has about 10 less games and still leading every other Hab. There is only so much Saku can do with the linemates he has. Put Saku on another team with decent linemates and he will be racking up a lot more assists and probably be in the top 20 scorers in the league.

How was Perreault doing in Montreal? His first season (without Saku) he was the top scorer. When Saku returned he was third, then the year after that he dropped even lower.

Please don't compare Saku with Yanic, different calibre players completely. You have to compare apples with apples.

Edit: I also want to add, Koivu (39 games 38 pts) has 1 pt more than Perreault (51games 37 pts) with about 10 less games.

Also, by your logic you would trade Iginla (51 games 39 pts) for Arnott (51 games 45 pts)? It's not all about the numbers. It's a team effort and a weak link can bring anyones numbers down.


Last edited by HABit: 01-29-2006 at 11:27 PM.
HABit is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 09:56 PM
  #57
JV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: na
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
3 years, 11 million. It'll be a bargain, especially compared to the next two years on #60's contract.

It must be tough for him to swallow, making so much less than Theo and Kovalev. If Theodore had a 920 save %, and Kovalev was on pace for 40 goals, okay, but as it stands now?

JV is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 10:14 PM
  #58
Vicious
Registered User
 
Vicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
You know what ? schneider , the old ex-habs is having the same number of points than Saku . Perreault , another ex-habs , just one less .Do you know for witch team he plays ? Do you know that Jagr is having 75 points ? Saku has 38 pts , 37 less than Jagr. Do you know that the 2 twin sisters Sedin have more points than Saku ?


You are right, we should trade Koivu for Perreault straight up. You da man.

Vicious is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 11:26 PM
  #59
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,462
vCash: 500
Trade Saku Fans Don't Have A FRIGGIN CLUE!!!

I think the worse part of the Maontreal Canadiens are some of their fans!!!

#1 He is a point per game center, who has had so many different linemates this year is ridiculous!

#2 IF you trade / lose Saku, we would need a #1 AND a #2 center for about $5 million (Saku + Ribero's) contract...unless you geniuses want to trade Saku and keep Ribero!!!

#3 Name one player who puts more sweat into each game. If you think it's Begin, tell me how a #4 line center can compare with a #1 line center.

#4 Anyone remember the 2003-2004 playoffs, Koivu with THREE major injuries outplays some guy named Thorton. The man is all heart and GUTS!!!

#5 For all you fools who say, we haven't won with Koivu, we had a defense that sucked, 3rd and 4th line players on our second line and NO DEPTH when we had injuries, which we had a TON of in the late 90's....I suppose that was Saku's fault!

Saku does get injured, but he is of our top 6 forwards, who is pickup the scoring slack..Zednik, Ribero, Bonk...please!!!!!!!!!!!


$3.4 - $3.7 per year for 3 years with a team option on a 4th option!

THANK GOD Gainey doesn't listen to the drivel on this board!!

nyhabsfan is online now  
Old
01-29-2006, 11:56 PM
  #60
klaudius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: tarannah
Country: Canada
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
I say make the negotiations last all season...If that's what it takes to light a fire under his ***...

Seriously, 3M$/year and a promise of trading Ribeiro by the start of next season seems fair...

k

klaudius is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 12:01 AM
  #61
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: FIRE THERRIEN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaudius
I say make the negotiations last all season...If that's what it takes to light a fire under his ***...

Seriously, 3M$/year and a promise of trading Ribeiro by the start of next season seems fair...

k
The only *** needing lit a fire under is the man between the pipes. He is the main reason why this season has went to the crapper.

Koivu is one of the few whose keeps trying out there. Its hard to be effective when you are playing with guys who don't seem to care like Kovalev and Zednik, and yet he still keeps producing in spite of these guys.

I can't believe the flak some people give Koivu, and yet, for no real good reason.

Kirk Muller is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 12:05 AM
  #62
Kue
Interviewing for GM
 
Kue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland OR
Country: United States
Posts: 466
vCash: 500
Reading the way some of you have been talking about Koivu, I'm ashamed to be a Habs fan. If we get Koivu back for 4-4.5M a year, we'll be lucky. There will be a team out there who would gladly give Koivu 4.75.

Kue is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 12:06 AM
  #63
klaudius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: tarannah
Country: Canada
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
The only *** needing lit a fire under is the man between the pipes. He is the main reason why this season has went to the crapper.

Koivu is one of the few whose keeps trying out there. Its hard to be effective when you are playing with guys who don't seem to care like Kovalev and Zednik, and yet he still keeps producing in spite of these guys.

I can't believe the flak some people give Koivu, and yet, for no real good reason.
Say what you will but once negitiations started...2G and an assist...(albeit 1 game)

Even though he is one of the most dedicated to the team...its pretty much by default...(that's pretty sad to say though)

If he can steo it upi even more...why not...

Don't be unconditional supporters with closed minds...

k

klaudius is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 12:16 AM
  #64
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: FIRE THERRIEN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaudius
Say what you will but once negitiations started...2G and an assist...(albeit 1 game)

Even though he is one of the most dedicated to the team...its pretty much by default...(that's pretty sad to say though)

If he can steo it upi even more...why not...

Don't be unconditional supporters with closed minds...

k

Don't be an ignorant, high horsed type poster.....

You basically state Koivu needs a fire lit under his *** which is the furthest thing from reality. Koivu knows it, his agent knows it, fans know it, and so does Gainey. Gainey using that as a negotiating tactic would fail miserable and only cause more problems.

Kirk Muller is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 12:17 AM
  #65
Rayne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan
I think the worse part of the Maontreal Canadiens are some of their fans!!
Some? A vast number of Habs fans are downright ridiculous, and a good number of them found their way to this forum. Gainey knows what's best for this team a hell of a lot more than any of you do.

Rayne* is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 12:29 AM
  #66
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreVX
Gainey knows what's best for this team a hell of a lot more than any of you do.
Gainey knows better than any of us thats true.

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 12:36 AM
  #67
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Did you know that everyone else on the Habs has fewer points than Koivu, and that he's widening the gap? Now Ribeiro is 7 points behind him despite playing 8 more games.

Did you know that the Habs haven't had a top 10 scorer in many years? Did you know that most teams in the NHL have secondary scorers who can take the pressure off the top guy? If the Habs had more than Kovalev and Ryder, it would be a lot easier for Koivu.

Zednik, Ribeiro, and Bonk have been impotent. Markov is the only Dman who can consistently contribute to the offense, and now he's out for 6 weeks. Finally, the Dmen are so bad with the puck that it stays in the Habs zone most of the game.

By the way, the Sedins are brothers, not sisters.
my dear Teufel , i was sure that my comment was to provoqued some high reactions from you and several Koivu 's fans ...

I know that Saku is leading by 2-3 points , and i know that Ribeiro is now having 7 points less since the yesterday game. I know also that Ribeiro is having a bad season and that several fans are saying that he don't have any value at all .

Imagine , Ribeiro , The less than nothing ,is having 7 points less than our leader , the one who is suppose to bring us to the cup , one day !

He played 8 games less than Ribeiro , so that excuse everything , no ? ( But how many games did he played with Dagenais , Ivhanans , Murray ?...)

But Saku also played 8-10 less games than most of the players of the NHL , so that excuse everything ...and that explain why the Perreault , Sedin sisters and the 75 others players are all having more points than Saku ; it's normal , no ?

And it's also normal that season after season , Saku is having less points than 50-75 other players , because he always got injuries, so that excuse everything , no ?

Since the start of this thread , some of us talked about the fact that Koivu is too injury prone to be our key player , and that the team would be in better hands with another center for the first line , and Saku for the second line. THAN CONSIDERING THAT , we concluded that he deserves only a second liner salary : +- 2.5 M$

We don't fuc###g care the number of games that Koivu have missed , because it's always like that , and that's not going to stop now that he's older .And when he get injuries ,HE CAN'T help the team , HE CAN'T SCORE and give the extra goals that we need to win .

goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 12:39 AM
  #68
bjac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreVX
Some? A vast number of Habs fans are downright ridiculous, and a good number of them found their way to this forum. Gainey knows what's best for this team a hell of a lot more than any of you do.
Couldnt have said it better myself.

bjac is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 12:44 AM
  #69
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
You are right, we should trade Koivu for Perreault straight up. You da man.
that was not my point , and you know it . How many time the fans of Koivu are going to take, to realise that although Koivu is good , he always going to have an average production because the injuries , so than he deserve an average salary

goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 09:13 AM
  #70
hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
The odds that koivu will stay for 3 mil or less are about nil. if he signs, it will be for between 3.5 and 4.5 mil, 3 to 4 years. I also think the "overpaid, get rid of him" responces are crazy, we can still go out and get a high scoring center, but a guy like robiero is much, much, more expendable even at his salary.

hab is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 09:37 AM
  #71
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
that was not my point , and you know it . How many time the fans of Koivu are going to take, to realise that although Koivu is good , he always going to have an average production because the injuries , so than he deserve an average salary
After Saturday's game, I was asking my friend what he would do with Koivu. As a fan, I want him here as long as his body can make it onto the ice. As a businessman, I don't know. It comes down to whether or not the team is better with him or without him. I think we know that a player is worth what someone will pay. Koivu's pride is what makes him the player he is, and I suspect that same pride will prevent him from being low balled on a contract. Dallas seems to be a gathering place for the Finnish players now, who knows.


If Gainey decides that he can't invest heavily in a player that probably can't play more than 60-70 games a year, I'd hope that he has a clear plan B. The trade him for a prospect talk is silly unless they can replace what he gives them immediately. Not signing him doesn't guarantee Richards or Jokinen and I don't know if there are other solutions.

We all know what he doesn't bring to the lineup,size, durability, but they still would have to replace what he does bring, and I think it would be harder to replace that than we think.

mcphee is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 09:54 AM
  #72
Guy Germaine
Registered User
 
Guy Germaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
Well seeing as how he got 3.5 after a decent 03-04 season(55 points in 68 g i believe), he'd probably be asking for around 4-5 mill, unless it's for 3 or more years, then i could see him signing for under 4.Either way , i remember Saku saying he'd like to test his value on the market, and i don't think BG is gonna risk losing him for nothing.

Guy Germaine is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 09:59 AM
  #73
Habruti!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
After Saturday's game, I was asking my friend what he would do with Koivu. As a fan, I want him here as long as his body can make it onto the ice. As a businessman, I don't know. It comes down to whether or not the team is better with him or without him. I think we know that a player is worth what someone will pay. Koivu's pride is what makes him the player he is, and I suspect that same pride will prevent him from being low balled on a contract. Dallas seems to be a gathering place for the Finnish players now, who knows.


If Gainey decides that he can't invest heavily in a player that probably can't play more than 60-70 games a year, I'd hope that he has a clear plan B. The trade him for a prospect talk is silly unless they can replace what he gives them immediately. Not signing him doesn't guarantee Richards or Jokinen and I don't know if there are other solutions.

We all know what he doesn't bring to the lineup,size, durability, but they still would have to replace what he does bring, and I think it would be harder to replace that than we think.
I think it would come down to Jokinen, Richards, Savard and I would be that at least 2 of those are not going to make it to the free agent market (Jokinen and Richards)

Habruti! is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 10:10 AM
  #74
Matrix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso
It is definitely true that players don't want to play in montreal, even quebec nhlers.

Different language. No one wants to waste more time learning a language. Europeans just had to learn english. English Canadians usually hate Quebec.

High taxes. More so than any other place in North America.

Fans lynch you after one bad game. There the only place that boos on a regular basis.

French people are "considered" (not saying its true) less tolerant than others. They only like french players and no one else.
Who's learning French within this team???? Someone once came up with Koivu not speaking french and everybody just came and blast that poster....Is he learning French now? Is Rivet learning French? Only Kovy said that he's trying to learn the language (good for him) but besides him who is??? Do any of the poster ever said that the hate Bulis because he doesn't learn French???

Fans lynch you after one bad game??? What about Fans praising you after 1 good game???We're passionnate about the game, any players that are not passionnate about this game should not play here, we don't want them here.

English Canadians hate Québec??? And then you're saying that French people are considered less tolerant???

We like only French players and no one else??? You're saying that everyone in this board is anglophone 'cause my understanding is that the bigger Koivu defenders are French....I'm French, and I hate Ribeiro, does that make me an exception????

If you didn't understand that already, what people are in love here in Montreal is players who give their all and beyond.....You seem to be lazy, you'll get booed. Larry Robinson got booed but you know what Jean Béliveau got booded as well and our beloved Patrice Brisebois well, he's French as far as I'm concerned. We don't like incompetency and if you go and see the AV's board, you'll see that incompetency as a new name......

If you wanna play in a real hockey atmosphere with their highs and lows, you're welcome. If you don't, well, we don't need you as much as you don't need us. But it's like everywhere, people who complains more are the big whiners, those are the ones not suggesting Montreal as a destination, the others, that don't mind coming, they don't say anything. Who do you hear more at the Bell Centre when there's some booing??? The 500 stupid ones or the 20,500 silent ones???

Same for the reputation that Montreal has right now. It's time for people happy with the organization, the treatment they receive and the appreciation they got from fans to stand up and talk as well.

'Cause if what you're saying is true, we should stop talking right now about UFA'S and concentrate our efforts only in drafting since that way they have no choice but to come here.

And if it's possible, before we say that this board sucks when we're losing, would anybody that say that visit other boards as well, have any of you visited the Leafs, Kings, AV'S and others (most are better in the standings that us) and see that we're not the only ones.....Yeah we may boo, but sometimes I find that to be ignored is far more dangerous than to be criticized......

Matrix is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 10:14 AM
  #75
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
my dear Teufel , i was sure that my comment was to provoqued some high reactions from you and several Koivu 's fans ...

I know that Saku is leading by 2-3 points , and i know that Ribeiro is now having 7 points less since the yesterday game. I know also that Ribeiro is having a bad season and that several fans are saying that he don't have any value at all .

Imagine , Ribeiro , The less than nothing ,is having 7 points less than our leader , the one who is suppose to bring us to the cup , one day !

He played 8 games less than Ribeiro , so that excuse everything , no ? ( But how many games did he played with Dagenais , Ivhanans , Murray ?...)

But Saku also played 8-10 less games than most of the players of the NHL , so that excuse everything ...and that explain why the Perreault , Sedin sisters and the 75 others players are all having more points than Saku ; it's normal , no ?

And it's also normal that season after season , Saku is having less points than 50-75 other players , because he always got injuries, so that excuse everything , no ?

Since the start of this thread , some of us talked about the fact that Koivu is too injury prone to be our key player , and that the team would be in better hands with another center for the first line , and Saku for the second line. THAN CONSIDERING THAT , we concluded that he deserves only a second liner salary : +- 2.5 M$

We don't fuc###g care the number of games that Koivu have missed , because it's always like that , and that's not going to stop now that he's older .And when he get injuries ,HE CAN'T help the team , HE CAN'T SCORE and give the extra goals that we need to win .
Don't compare Ribeiro to Koivu. This season, Ribeiro is like a stone tied around the Habs' neck as they try to swim. It's not just points scored but keeping the opponents from scoring against you. Right now, the difference between Koivu and Ribeiro in +/- ratings is 19! Koivu is +5, Ribeiro -14. Ribeiro is a defensive liability who seems to be able to score only when the Habs have a manpower advantage. I expect the gap to grow even wider by the end of the season. Moreover, Ribeiro hasn't even been outstanding on the power play this season. Put Plekanec on the second PP unit and he'd do just as well. Unlike Ribeiro, Plekanec isn't a minus player. He had one bad game before his knee injury but since then he's come back strong. I wouldn't be surprised to see him catch up to Ribeiro in goals scored even though he's played 15 fewer games.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.