HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our PP troubles are killing us!

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2006, 01:13 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

vCash: 500
Our PP troubles are killing us!

I'm really concerned about our PP...really concerned! With the 5 guys that we throw out every PP there is too much skill for us to be producing such poor results. There needs to be more movement; guys just stand still when Jagr has the puck. Last game it looked as if they were trying to change it up a bit and Prucha (on the left half boards) was controlling the PP more than Jagr was. This is not a bad idea since every team that we face "cheats" towards Jagr when they set up their box; maybe this will create more opportunities for Tyutin to shoot off the pass and for Jagr to shoot from the slot. If I were coach I would play an umbrella style with only 1 point man (Tyutin) and have 2 guys in front. Whatever the case may be this PP needs to improve or it will be our downfall! We have lost way too many games this year by 1 goal which we could've tied up if our PP wasn't so terrible - it has been anemic and IF we make the playoffs our PP troubles will kill us.

Old
01-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Kluivert4Ever

I like what I saw against Buffalo, with Malik being used in a "Chara" role, screening the goaltender. I know for a fact I much rather have him infront of the opposite goalie than at the point.

My perferable PP unit is.

Sykora and Poti at the back, with Jagr,Malik and Prucha upfront.

Second PP unit should be.
Tuytin and Straka at the back with Nylander, Jagr and Rucinsky up front.

Old
01-28-2006, 02:59 PM
b0mBa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
I'm really concerned about our PP...really concerned! With the 5 guys that we throw out every PP there is too much skill for us to be producing such poor results. There needs to be more movement; guys just stand still when Jagr has the puck. Last game it looked as if they were trying to change it up a bit and Prucha (on the left half boards) was controlling the PP more than Jagr was. This is not a bad idea since every team that we face "cheats" towards Jagr when they set up their box; maybe this will create more opportunities for Tyutin to shoot off the pass and for Jagr to shoot from the slot. If I were coach I would play an umbrella style with only 1 point man (Tyutin) and have 2 guys in front. Whatever the case may be this PP needs to improve or it will be our downfall! We have lost way too many games this year by 1 goal which we could've tied up if our PP wasn't so terrible - it has been anemic and IF we make the playoffs our PP troubles will kill us.

Umbrella style is 3 guys up high. Thats the style they use now, which obviously isnt working for us.

Old
01-28-2006, 03:49 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mBa
Umbrella style is 3 guys up high. Thats the style they use now, which obviously isnt working for us.
No it's not. The umbrella system is 1 point man in the middle of the ice, 2 men on the outside hash marks of the face-off circles and 2 men in front. The Rangers play an overload; 2 point men, 2 men on the strong side of the ice and 1 either in front of the net or in the slot on the weakside. If the Rangers played an umbrella then there would be more point shots.

Old
01-30-2006, 09:43 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Another game in which we could've put away with a PP goal....another 0 for night.

Old
01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
They dance too much and don't shoot the puck. Can it really be so hard to shoot and chip in the rebounds? They get like 2 shots max per powerplay, or when they actually decide to shoot it goes wide. And it's not just now, that's how it's been with this team for the past 10 years.

Old
01-31-2006, 02:59 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm
They dance too much and don't shoot the puck. Can it really be so hard to shoot and chip in the rebounds? They get like 2 shots max per powerplay, or when they actually decide to shoot it goes wide. And it's not just now, that's how it's been with this team for the past 10 years.

if they had a stat for passes during a pp, we prolly lead the league.

Old
01-31-2006, 03:11 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Renney needs to try Sykora and Straka on the point, IMO.
Both have good hockey sense, good speed in case they need to backcheck, and Sykora's got a pretty good slapper on him.

Old
01-31-2006, 04:34 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto
Renney needs to try Sykora and Straka on the point, IMO.
Both have good hockey sense, good speed in case they need to backcheck, and Sykora's got a pretty good slapper on him.
pass-pass-pass-pass-blocked shot-pass-pass-intercepted pass-clear.

Which is exactly how the script for our PP runs.

Old
01-31-2006, 05:13 AM
Kesler Kills Kommies

then i suggest to get leetch back, or maybe some of the leafs defenceman, or maybe rick jackman from penguins (if you dont mind he has terrible defence skill)

Old
01-31-2006, 08:45 AM
shoothepuck

It's kind of hard to deflect shots in when every D man on point shoots wide 99% of the time. They work on somethings in practice but they just get no results on ice when it counts. Changes have to be made as NY is loosing to many games where the pp just scoring one goal would have won the game. No legit pp quarterback is the problem, plus they all need to shoot more, and put the puck on net.

Old
01-31-2006, 08:54 AM
True Blue

It is clear that Jagr and Renney are not on the same page as far as what should or should not happen when the team is on the PP. Jagr wants the status quo and that has resulted in being one of the 5 worst team in the league on the PP. Renney wants more shots from the point and more screens up front. Jagr wants to pass on the perimeter and set up for the picture-perfect goal.
Renney is also flubbing on not playing Sykora on the point and inexplicably reducing Prucha's ice time on the PP.

Old
01-31-2006, 09:40 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck
It's kind of hard to deflect shots in when every D man on point shoots wide 99% of the time.
And during those 1% moments of accuracy everyone's behind the net anyway.

Old
01-31-2006, 12:16 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Well something has to be done, why try the same thing over and over again when it is failing so miserably? Jagr is our QB on the right half boards and everything usually starts with him once we set up - we should play with 2 men in front and 1 point man (Tyutin). This will suck one of the PK's towards the net and give Jagr more room to operate + it will create more point shots. This will accomplish two things; Jagr's role on the PP doesn't change and we get more shots on goal from the point. Teams that use this system have been having success and we have the right players to use it, why Renney hasn't tried this is beyond me.

Old
01-31-2006, 08:41 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

First unit should be:
Prucha-Straka-Jagr
Sykora-Tyutin

Old
02-01-2006, 11:52 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

A little better showing on the PP tonight even if it was against the Pens. The defenseman were more active when the forwards had the puck and the movement created more opportunities. I hope they build off this because I will promise you this PP will be a determining factor the rest of the way.

Closed Thread