HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brass Tacks

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2006, 11:59 AM
guzmania

vCash: 500
Brass Tacks

The players are responsible for the things that happen on the ice.

Frolov- When we signed him long term I was very happy. There does seem to be a basic flaw in his talent. That is the ability step up when the team needs him most. If there is a guy on this team who shouldn't be giving his impression of Casper the Friendly Ghost it's this guy. He is much too complacent. The wrap around is not a shot you should concentrate on. Trying the wrap 3 times on one shift is unacceptable. Alex start to get your nose dirty in front of the net. The team is counting on your talent being realized. You are not untouchable.

Robitaille- Old and slow. Wicked tricky. Broken leg, broken record. He has taken too many bad penalties. Hasn't been half as lucky as usual, but he finds a way to punish opposing teams. His best is yet to come this season, just a guess.

Cowan- Seems to be trying to be a high in the d zone floating offensive threat. We need more Nasty and less pretty from Cowan. Help a defensman, crank a Duck, a Shark, a Yote. You need to be more Avery and less Frolov.

Brown- Another guy who needs to be in the middle of the action on every shift, every game. The middle of the ice should not be verboten Mr. Braun. The wide eyed wonder of NHL game style should be wearing off, bring your lunch pail Dustin.

Conroy- He has done everything we could ask of him. He has become frustrated at the lack of respect that the Kings engender in the Refs. His fingerpointing incident with McGeough shows how much this guy cares. Yes, guys who are on the ice a lot are subject to being associated with a mistake or 2 perceived from on high, way above the ice and after the fact. I'd take my chances with this guy come hell AND high water.
Don't let the bad patch get you down Craig. Pavol's back, let the good times roll.

Armstrong- One of the guys who plays over his head half the time. Trying to pass the puck to Luc for the record got in the way of his game. Also, walk out from behind the net once in a while, then shoot or pass, but ya can't score from back there. If you move out the other guys on the ice will come open or you'll be open. Change is good. For you it would be great. The middle of the ice is you friend.

Belanger- Has had a great start. Will take some time to come back up to speed. Needs to have other lines working so he's under the radar. I think he's about the perfect 3rd line guy. His return might help the kill, take some pressure off Conroy.

Avery- Has been emasculated. Does not play with the same verve when the extracirricular funny business is curtailed. I know that it hurt us sometimes but the amount of time the other teams waste on him can't be used on Demitra or Frolov. Andy, Free Sean Avery! OK, let him go crazy only on full moons and days ending in "Y". He is a vital piece of the equation. When he stopped the funny stuff the team started to spiral in.

Demitra- Has done what he was brought in to do I've got no problem with his game. Love to see those breakaways. Makes the other team wonder who has there back. The ol' strectcharoo. That we won any games without him is amazing.

Cammalleri- Streaky. Has got to have other threats around him to take the spotlight off of him. When the other team keys on him he isn't so overwhemingly powerful that he can fight through. Some beauty plays. Fantastic between the circles. Defensively responsible. Dino Cicerrelli was the prototype. Hope Mike can fulfill his destiny.

Kostopolus- The guy is one of the role players who is in no win positions where his game isn't about the glitz that make fans love certain players. Never takes a shift off. Backs up his boys when the game gets warm. Does anyone have a Kostopolus jersey except for him? I feel like he has another level that's about to breakthrough.

Parros- Good skating, good hands, good size, and good to go when called on. Just wish he could deliver that haymaker and get a reputation. Could be the fists of fury we all know the team must have.

Norstrom- Matti has tried to shift his game, for the most part it has been sucessful. The problem is whenever a guy like "the warrior" concentrates more on offense the defense is going to suffer some. He missed Miller more than anyone on the team. Still trying to make adjustments to the play in front of the net. Quiet leaders can be effective.

Miller- His play is all about the defense. The back problem couldn't have come at a worse time for the team. I think we need Aaron as bad as we need any player on the team. This is the type of guy that I think DT is looking for on the backside. We need more shutdown defense, period.

Visnovsky- Reason one why we don't need another offensive D. How good is this guy? To be this size, this keyed on, this good in his own end, this good in general constantly amazes me. He needs protection at a higher level. there should be an edict that when someone takes liberty with Lubo someone gets drilled. He should be played with Gleason to see if we can jumpstart the G-man. What a player!

Corvo- Reason two why we don't need another offensive D. Stupid youth. Aren't we all? Hard won maturity. A great season so far. The microscope is tough to live under, another downside of his actions as a youth. Very mobile and out against the fast skill guys on the other team. For everytime I hear about his inadequacies I could point to a good play that was made possible with his skating and position. He doesn't rub out his opponent so some think he isn't playing defense. That isn't and will never be his game. I challenge the boo-birds to try only looking for the good play for 3 or 4 games and they will, I believe the will see another facet to Joe's game. At least it will be a chance to even the score in their minds. I'll try to find more faults, OK? Dispell the pre-conceived notion! 29 other teams would take Joe.

Gleason- It's great to see him finding his A game. The growth into a top defenseman is fun to watch. Errors of catastrophic porportions seem to be few and far between. Get that first one, Tim. We pull for you like a mother.

Dempsey- Wha happen? Came in last year and looked like a steal. Now he looks like he shrunk. Has he caught "the amnesia"? Did someone steal his piss and vinegar? The New NHL should be his oyster. Something undefinable about his fall from grace.

Weaver- I like Weaver. Liked him better before his injury. Seems to be trying to do too much. Just play the position and don't go chasing guys like Thornton. Return to the guy who's his "goalie's best friend".

Garon- Peaks and valleys. Pretty good first campaign as the go to guy. Teams do look to find the weak points in a style. I think he just need a more committed defense in front of him. The D seems to start to think Matt will just stand on his head and make every stop. Not going to happen. Don't overplay Matt.

LaBarbera- Started like a house afire. Will come on again. Fighting through the stuff he's fighting through can't be easy. A position that is 50% head and instinct can't be clogged with the insidious worry of things out of your control. We, as fans pull for you to overcome the distraction. The only thing to do is play lights out. No matter the outcome and trouble off the ice.

Old
01-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Good assesment as always guz

Old
01-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Captain Ron

Although I agree that players are resposible for what they do on the ice I pose this question. Why do we even have a coach then? If all the wins and loses fall squarely on the players then fire all of the coaching staff and make Norstrom the player coach of the team. Then with the money saved from removing the unnecessary coaches then the organization could possibly pick up another player or two.

Old
01-30-2006, 12:30 PM
guzmania

Because the coach can't shoot a puck, or stand in the slot. He doesn't tell players to do things that we know are just brain cramps.

While being totally focused on one aspect of a problem can help you solve it, it also totally focuses on only one aspect of what could be a multi-faceted problem. I think we get the picture, you don't want the coach around anymore. Does that about sum it up?

Old
01-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania
Because the coach can't shoot a puck, or stand in the slot. He doesn't tell players to do things that we know are just brain cramps.
You are right. But he is suppose to motivate and prepare his team to play. If they are not motivated or prepared to play then why does Murray get paid?

Quote:
While being totally focused on one aspect of a problem can help you solve it, it also totally focuses on only one aspect of what could be a multi-faceted problem. I think we get the picture, you don't want the coach around anymore. Does that about sum it up?
See the thing is guz is that if one , two or even as much as five players are not pulling their weight then I can say "It is because of a few lazy players". When the "entire" team is playing uninspired, mediocre hockey it seems like a coaching problem. Unless their is a lazy disease that the entire team contracted at the exact same time.

Old
01-30-2006, 01:03 PM
SLang

Strange that Roenick has been left off this list when other injured players have been listed.

Old
01-30-2006, 01:09 PM
guzmania

See, brain cramp. Sorry no offense intended to Roenick.

Obviously a disappointement. But the intangebles of a swaggering veteran help young guys feel they're part of something good. Helped the penalty kill. Expect more when he returns, I think he does too.

Old
01-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Chartrand

Quote:
Parros- Good skating

Old
01-30-2006, 01:56 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
I think you and I could do a very spirited podcast on the subject of your post. I agree with about 50% of it and think you're myopically optimistic with the 50% I disagree with.

good post.

Old
01-30-2006, 02:05 PM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
I think you and I could do a very spirited podcast on the subject of your post. I agree with about 50% of it and think you're myopically optimistic with the 50% I disagree with.

good post.
Can anyone realistically or optimistically be disapointed with the 50% number? I know I can't.

Closed Thread