HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

jason ward

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2006, 02:35 PM
bleedblue94

vCash: 500
jason ward

i was one of the guys who had so reservations when we signe him for 2 years to a one way contract...but he has improved greatly all season and has really turned into a good hockey player. his skating has improved now to the point that his consistant hard work pays off bc he can get to the right places on the ice. as i said he just seems to have improved so muh since the start of the year when it appeared he would just be a grinder, and although hes not producing points every game....hes producing chances for himself and others

Old
01-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94
i was one of the guys who had so reservations when we signe him for 2 years to a one way contract...but he has improved greatly all season and has really turned into a good hockey player. his skating has improved now to the point that his consistant hard work pays off bc he can get to the right places on the ice. as i said he just seems to have improved so muh since the start of the year when it appeared he would just be a grinder, and although hes not producing points every game....hes producing chances for himself and others
he was right there, he didn't punch Crosby in the face for trash talking Lunddqvist

cut him

Old
01-28-2006, 03:28 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31-
he was right there, he didn't punch Crosby in the face for trash talking Lunddqvist

cut him

Old
01-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Edge

Gotta give him credit, he's made the transition into a solid, good third line NHL player.

Old
01-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Synergy27

This was definitely one of Slats most controversial transactions in the off-season, which I thought was strange because of how insignificant it seemed. But I defy anyone who openly spoke out against Ward back then to defend that stance now. The guy can just play hockey; he's big, strong, decent hands and a hustler that helps his team day in and day out whether or not he scores.

Old
01-28-2006, 03:57 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
This was definitely one of Slats most controversial transactions in the off-season, which I thought was strange because of how insignificant it seemed. But I defy anyone who openly spoke out against Ward back then to defend that stance now. The guy can just play hockey; he's big, strong, decent hands and a hustler that helps his team day in and day out whether or not he scores.
I'm willing to eat my dinner of crow on that one synergy.

Old
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Yeah, I like his game, he's a hardworker, and he has better hands than Ortmeyer.

Old
AXN

Have no idea why you had reservations on Ward.

Old
01-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
I'm willing to eat my dinner of crow on that one synergy.
There's one! Show your faces the rest of you haters!

Old
01-28-2006, 04:06 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I wasn't a naysayer but I hardly endorsed the signing.

Very North-South player. Like him and think he may even get better.

Old
01-28-2006, 04:08 PM
TheRedressor

Part of me was skeptical that we signed Ward, believing that there were other players in Hartford that could bring more to the table.

The positive i saw at the time was that he was a scorer in the AHL and maybe he just needed a fresh start somewhere else.

Old
01-28-2006, 04:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
I wasn't a naysayer but I hardly endorsed the signing.

Very North-South player. Like him and think he may even get better.

I was a nay-sayer. Didn't think that the Rangers needed both Ward and Nieminen. I'm pleasantly surprised that Ward has been the better player. And it's all because of one thing: Ward's skating has improved by leaps and bounds from where it was when he was in Montreal.

01-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Taz

Ward is a likeable guy, hardworking and great PKing, he has also been contributing more offensively as well, fair play to the guy.

Old
01-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I was a nay-sayer. Didn't think that the Rangers needed both Ward and Nieminen. I'm pleasantly surprised that Ward has been the better player. And it's all because of one thing: Ward's skating has improved by leaps and bounds from where it was when he was in Montreal.
Gotta tell ya, he looks like a different player when it comes to skating.

The issue now seems to be that his feet are actually faster than his hands.

Old
01-28-2006, 04:33 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Agreed on all counts. Now if he could only develop a set of hands, there could be a real chance that he could develop into something more than just a third liner. However, so far he has not shown such an inclination. Still, a move to give Jackass credit for. Ward has been as good a bottom-2 line role player as any that we have.

Old
01-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Block More Shots

He plays a great defensive game and that's what we need out of a 3rd liner. The offense is a bonus IMO.

Although I'm always worried he's going to high-stick someone because his damn stick is in the air so damn much!

Old
01-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

He's a good player, always thought that even in his days in Montreal. I saw the potential and he had a good attitude. Yeah, his skating has matured but I also see a difference in how he's been handling the puck, I think he has room to grow.

Old
01-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Synergy27

I loved the HUGE smile on the guy's face after he scored the first goal today as well. It came immediately after Jagr non-chalanted that open netter that Fleury robbed, and to me, it almost looked like he was taking a good natured little jab at Jaromir like "Ha, I can beat him, you can't!" This team genuinely feels like a family, so nice to watch.

Old
01-28-2006, 05:34 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Ward is a bargain at $637,500 per season-cap #

Old
01-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
If he had better hands he'd be a pretty good goal scorer. Instead hes a very solid 3rd liner and PKer. Great to have.

Old
01-28-2006, 06:08 PM
shoothepuck

His skating is much improved over his Monteal days, and for what he's paid, he's an asset to the team.

Old
01-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
I must say I was guilty of saying that Ward was this year's Jeff Toms, but I'm pleasantly surprised by his play here. Nothing too special, but a nice solid 3/4th liner.

Old
01-28-2006, 07:10 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
There's one! Show your faces the rest of you haters!
Actually Synergy I believe pld brought this same subject up in November and a bunch of us did mea culpa's then. Ward did not have that great of a training camp at least to listen to some but his play has sure been an eye opener since. Not only has he been great on the penalty kill but the additional speed he seems to have acquired is showing up in the offensive end where he's often the first forechecker in and pressuring the D. One other thing to me--although he seems to have real nice chemistry with Betts on the pk and on a checking line his offense picks up when he's put in with better players. Betts is not much of a playmaker.

Old
01-28-2006, 09:19 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN
Have no idea why you had reservations on Ward.

I was one of the few who liked the Ward signing. Ward had to be a first round pick for a reason. Even though he is not the power forward he was suspected to be, he has turned into a good 3rd liner and has played well. Too bad he never got a chance in Montreal, with all their small forwards, they could have used his size. Oh well.

Closed Thread