HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 52: 2/1/06 - Predators at Stars

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2006, 05:11 PM
crossxcheck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Game 52: 2/1/06 - Predators at Stars

(31-14-6) at (35-15-2)

Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. CDT.

The Stars are 10-2-0 all time against the Predators in Dallas.

STANDINGS: Predators - 68 points, 2nd place, 5 PB, Central Division. Stars - 72 points, 1st place, Pacific Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Predators - Steve Sullivan, 25 goals; Paul Kariya and Kimmo Timonen, 32 assists; Kariya, 49 points; Darcy Hordichuk, 107 PIM. Stars - Jere Lehtinen, 25 goals; Zubov, 34 assists; Mike Modano, 50 points; Steve Ott, 103 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Predators - Power play: 18.9 percent (62 for 328), 9th in NHL. Penalty killing: 84.1 percent (275 for 327), 10th. Stars - Power play: 16.2 percent (52 for 321), 21st. Penalty killing: 83.4 percent (266 for 319), 12th.

GOALTENDERS: Predators - Tomas Vokoun (25-10-5, 1 SO, 2.63 GAA); Chris Mason (5-3-1, 3.16). Stars - Marty Turco (27-13-2, 3, 2.50); Johan Hedberg (8-2-0, 2.71).

SEASON SERIES: 1-1.

LAST MEETING: Nov. 26; Stars, 3-1. At Nashville, Tenn., Lehtinen and Antti Miettinen scored power-play goals, and Turco made 23 saves for Dallas.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Predators - 12-9-5 on the road; Stars - 18-10-1 at home.

Last edited by crossxcheck: 02-01-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old
02-01-2006, 05:18 PM
handtrick

What The ****?.....3 hrs before game time and no GDT...way to come through crossxcheck....."Nashville doesn't deserve a team"....."move them to Winnepeg"...I could have heard it now.....

Anyway....the "Sully Walks Silly" line makes its debut tonight.....I predict Sillinger gets a goal and an assist tonight.

Expect to see...with some mixing it up to be expected:

Erat/Perreault/Kariya
Sullivan/Sillinger/Walker
Hartnell/Johnson/Hall
Smithson/Nichol/Hordichuk

Suter recovering from "food poisoning" and is probable....otherwise Allison may see some action.

Zids is supposed to play....wonder if this has anything to do with his prior "wrist/thumb" injury?

Usually when a club gets a missing piece, they go on a mini-tear....we could sure use it with DAL, COL, CHI, DAL, DET, DET, AND CBJ before the break.

Should be a good game....I expect us to come out with a jump....make a FEW penalties, but stay out of the box decently.....win faceoffs at 65%.....and play 2 periods of good hockey and fall asleep for the other one.....if we go to shootout...we are dead......

Should be an entertaining one......

Last edited by handtrick: 02-01-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old
02-01-2006, 05:45 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 50
the puck possession you guys are gonna get from Perrault and Sillinger is insane. With the season Silly is having this year you guys are my darkhorse pick.

Old
02-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I'd like to see Smithson centering the third line and Johnson centering the 4th with Nichol playing a wing. But we all know how everyone feels about the captain, so that will probably be right on the mark.

Old
02-01-2006, 07:02 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

This will be a fun game. Can't wait to see what the line changes are with the arrival of Sillinger.

Old
02-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Lets hope Nichol is OK after that hard fall into the boards.

-Vagrant
Old
02-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Predonater

^ Agreed.

Old
02-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Predonater

Nichol has feeling and is on the way to the hospital for test.

Old
02-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
that looked really sick....best wishes to Nichol

Old
02-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Our team is a bunch of pansies. The lack of physicality is really starting to make me sick. Hamhuis's refusal to play the body just cost us the second goal....and guess what...we are not going to get a spark from anyone on this team. Usually when you get a 5 minute major you get more than 1 shot and 30 seconds of offensive zone time, but not us....God its pathetic sometimes. We are so sissified this year its no wonder we are so bad even strength.

02-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Predonater

^ Agreed. I think it is time to start thinking trades and shake ups if I was Poile. Days off, scrathes, pep talks, etc. have all been tried but to no avail.

Old
02-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

not one GD shot in the last 50+ seconds ... this team is DONE ladies

Old
02-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Predonater

^ Yeah. I think it is possible.

Old
02-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Lets hope Nichol is OK after that hard fall into the boards.
Hope everything is ok with him. Didn't look good from what I could see. Anybody have an update? Last I heard is that he had all feeling, thank the Lord, and was headed towards the hosiptal.

Old
02-01-2006, 11:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

How are we a better team than say, San Jose or Anaheim, right now?

We're not. We're not even fun to watch, anymore. We don't generate quality shots or scoring chances. Every offensive opportunity has to come off the rush, because the second we lose the puck, we flee the zone. Zero forecheck. Erat showed the only gutsy play of the entire game...and it got us a goal. I no longer think we can afford to trade Zidlicky, because our power play is an absolute LAUGH without him. Hamhuis...someone should tell him just not to take a shot, ever, if he can't pick them better. THREE TIMES, he tried a dumb shot from the point that went right off the Star RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. All I can hope is that Zidlicky and even Legwand's return gives this team a huge boost, because I'm not worried about winning the division anymore. I'm worried about a March collapse that sees us fall completely out of it.

The worst part, listening to post game interviews with Trotz...he's so complacent. Pete and Terry are complacent, the Nashville media is complacent, and worst of all the bulk of the fans are complacent. NO ONE is willing to admit that this team is in trouble, right now. Those two wins in Detroit were great, but we have lost EVERY OTHER GAME AGAINST A WINNING TEAM since DECEMBER 23! Remember that Calgary game? that was the last one. Worse yet, now we're losing to teams like Minnesota and Columbus, and everyone still wants to brush it off. Maybe I'm over-angry or worked up right now, but I feel, for once, I have reason to be. Our schedule doesn't get easier from here, it only gets worse, and I am not feeling very confident in that regard, right now.

Old
02-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Predonater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids

The worst part, listening to post game interviews with Trotz...he's so complacent. Pete and Terry are complacent, the Nashville media is complacent, and worst of all the bulk of the fans are complacent. NO ONE is willing to admit that this team is in trouble, right now. Those two wins in Detroit were great, but we have lost EVERY OTHER GAME AGAINST A WINNING TEAM since DECEMBER 23! Remember that Calgary game? that was the last one. Worse yet, now we're losing to teams like Minnesota and Columbus, and everyone still wants to brush it off. Maybe I'm over-angry or worked up right now, but I feel, for once, I have reason to be. Our schedule doesn't get easier from here, it only gets worse, and I am not feeling very confident in that regard, right now.

Best post, mad or not, I have seen on here about the team. My hats off to you NMK. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Old
02-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
How are we a better team than say, San Jose or Anaheim, right now?

We're not. We're not even fun to watch, anymore. We don't generate quality shots or scoring chances. Every offensive opportunity has to come off the rush, because the second we lose the puck, we flee the zone. Zero forecheck. Erat showed the only gutsy play of the entire game...and it got us a goal. I no longer think we can afford to trade Zidlicky, because our power play is an absolute LAUGH without him. Hamhuis...someone should tell him just not to take a shot, ever, if he can't pick them better. THREE TIMES, he tried a dumb shot from the point that went right off the Star RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. All I can hope is that Zidlicky and even Legwand's return gives this team a huge boost, because I'm not worried about winning the division anymore. I'm worried about a March collapse that sees us fall completely out of it.

I hate being doom and gloom....

But it cannot be helped. Look at our team. We were, and lets face it, extremely lucky in a lot of our wins at the start of the season. Heck, if we had a goaltender that wasn't one of the top 5 in the league, we are sitting probably at about 11-13th in the conference. The fact of the matter is:

1) We are the most passive team in the NHL. We have been since the start of the season, but unfortunately.....its getting even worse as time goes on. Now, Hartnell, Hall, Smithson, Walker, Hamhuis, and Eaton are all not even playing the body at any time. Walker I will give a semi-pass to as he still isn't 100%, but that is no excuse for any of the other guys. If Hamhuis had played the body tonight, Morrow doesn't get an easy tip in goal. Instead, he tries to poke check a slowly moving in Bill Guerin along the board area, falls down, and watches from his butt as Guerin throws an easy pass right across the crease for the goal. Play the freaking body! PLAY THE BODY!

2) We are one of the worst even strength teams in all of hockey. I hate to say that because we have won so many games, etc. However, it is the truth. We are a specialty teams club. We live and die by the PP and PK. Part of the reason we are so bad even strength is because, we are not physical. We are afraid to go to the net, and therefore we get no rebounds. This kills a ton of the best scoring chances we have available to us. Unless its a breakaway or an odd-man rush, it seems like we are unable to generate offense without a PP. I could count on my hands the amount of times we have truly cycled the puck in the zone this year....which is not a good sign and takes away one of our advantages: speed. Since we cannot wear teams out in their zone, we are wasting our speed back-checking most of the time. Oh and can we ever get a guy to crash the net? Or how about instead of curling around all the time when we enter the offensive zone, we run some delayed plays...and get a creative scoring chance? The curl does nothing but turn the puck over to the other team, yet everyone one of our players seems to employ it save Hartnell, who will put the friggen puck on the net.

3) Our powerplay is, well, extremely predictable. Not a single team in the league seems to respect our perimeter ability. They all know that we are going east-west. We have no cannon at the blue line, and for some odd reason ALL of our defensemen have had a horrid time getting the puck on net from the point. Without Zidlicky on the PP, we look very mediocre. It seems that we have come to rely on his creativity and one-timer to spark that unit, and without him....we just look lost. We need to change our philosophy up sometimes. The teams that give our point players room and play a tight diamond near the goal, own us on the PK. The teams that play a loose box, seem to get eaten alive by us. The teams that are aggressive, also seem to not play well on us. However, the extremely/overly aggressive teams like Detroit and Chicago - seem to shut us down with ease. We can't be so predictable in the playoffs. Skate Kariya into the middle of the tight box, when people are overly aggressive, put a guy in the middle of the ice for the slot shot. We don't do these things, and our perimeter play with 2 guys at the net often times proves fruitless.

4) I like our penalty kill. I think our lone weakness there is how bad we are at protecting our crease. Given the personell we have back there, I'm not upset with their efforts. They work at getting people off on the PK, but they just cannot do it. This is something management has to fix. The only guy that I see that will not take the body on the PK, or really ever, is Eaton. He has really softened up his game this year, and I'm wondering if its because he thinks he is going to take a penalty. Regardless, he has been blocking a ton of shots and somewhat accounting for his soft play, but you need more out of his big frame.

5) Our team lacks a spark plug. Hordichuk seems to be the only big energy guy we have right now, and he gets so little ice time that we really do not have a line out there just pumping up our big lines. Our lack of physical play causes us to look asleep on the ice a lot of times, and it truly is unfortunate. A big hit every now and then can really change the momentum of the game. It would be nice to see that return to Nashville. Personally, I think this is a coaching thing because even Tootoo would not hit like he used to this year.

With that out of the way, let me say that I think the problem with this team is our even-strength offense. I'm not as down on our defense as most. I think we definitely need to play the body more, but for the most part, I think our offense is what lets us down. Even in the games where we score 3-4 goals, we often see our forwards taking lazy penalties or turning the puck over way to often. We have to establish more offense in the opponents zone. To use football as an analagy, when the offense goes 3 and out every drive, the defense, no matter how good they are, are going to struggle as they are on the field all the time. Its the same thing for us. When we continually turn the puck over and continually let the other team press us, we wear our already small defense out. Our strength on the backend is in the form of strong 2 way play and solid positioning. However, the odd man rushes kill the positioning, and our weak offensive zone time is not utilizing our good 2 way defensive play. I'm not sure how to fix this with our squad. As crazy as our team played at the start of the year, maybe we should go back to more of a run and gun style philosophy. Let our defensemen go crazy with the puck...it made Vokoun work harder, but it also gives our offense the extra boost that it needed.

Maybe this team just needs Legwand back to reestablish itself. Our center play is so important in our system that there is little doubt that his abscense is hurting us. Still, we should be playing better than what we are. I don't think its a lack of passion...I think a lot of it is the philosophy and schemes we are operating under right now and the lack of creativity at fixing them.

Old
02-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Stars-Preds

I was at the game tonight in Dallas (Section 104, Row C, three rows from Vokoun and the Preds!!!!) and I have to say I left very disappointed. It was my first chance to see the Preds play live in two plus years and they forgot to show up. I'm not quite as gloom-and-doom as others here, but this was a forgettable game. Hopefully the players simply move on and forget about this one. Some notes from this one:

1) We really need someone to help PK out offensively. He's the only one who seems to create his own scoring chances.

2) The Sullivan-Silly-Walker line looked pretty good. They had a few chances and looked fairly comfortable out there. Silly lived up to the billing as a good face-off guy and I think this line could eventually give us a boost.

3) Note to Trotz: Allison is horrible. Please never put him in the lineup again.

4) The Scott Nichol hit was very disturbing. Trevor Daley - a rookie defenseman with a reputation as a clean player - hit Nichol innocently enough but Nichol was in the process of slipping awkwardly and nailed the boards very very dangerously. All the reports from Dallas were that he went to the hospital but had feeling in his arms and legs. Very scary situation, but it sounds like he will be OK.

5) The sad thing about tonight's game is it was so winnable. Outside of Marty Turco's solid play, the Stars played a very ordinary game tonight. We didn't take advantage of the 5 minute power play and constanly killed our own momentum.

... I will be at the game next Monday too and hopefully the Preds will actually play in that game.

Old
02-02-2006, 01:22 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I pretty much agree with the sentiments expressed thus far. As for Zidlicky, I must agree that his presence is needed. Like you said, we live and die by the PP/PK. And when arguably your best PP guy is out, it is painfully obvious. Kimmo looked lost tonight, and I think its due to the fact that Zids is always there to bail him out and set him up, and likewise. Hopefully we will see some improvement out of this team after the Olympic break. Maybe we just need to get healthy and rested up.

Old
02-02-2006, 03:11 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I may be a fan of the enemy, but all of us Wings fans hope Scott Nichol makes a complete recovery...that looked darned nasty.

Old
02-02-2006, 07:56 AM
handtrick

Vokoun usually has his pulse on things and maybe we should heed his advice.......

"``It's a long season and there's going to be some ups and down,'' Vokoun said. ``We have to keep our focus. This is not the time to panic.''

Old
02-02-2006, 09:00 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I hate to say it, but does anyone think the team's terrible play, confused looks, and overall sissiness can in any way be attributed to Trotz?

Old
02-02-2006, 09:14 AM
RollingPredFan

Well I tend to be a glass half full kinda guy, but I understand why some are thinking its time to panic. LOL we were tied with the conference leaders last week, now we are 7 behind If we keep slipping it could be bad - teams are nipping right on heels now, we are just 6 points ahead of 8th placed Edmonton and we have alot of tough games on the schedule before the Olympic break.

But its not like Dallas sucks LOL, Turco had a great game I thought and made some great saves. I thought we played really hard the 3rd period. It seems we keep playing teams on hot streaks LOL.

Anyways Calgary has lost 2 in OT to our weaker brethren in our divison, everyone says that is why we are so high in the standings I do think a nice win against a solid Colorado team would be good for everyone's confidence, mine included

Old
02-02-2006, 09:59 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
1. REESTABLISH THE HORDI-SMITHSON-TOOTOO LINE!!!

2. Trade Allison for a bag of doritos or whatever you can get for him.

I was aggravated that my DVR didnt pick the game up, but now I see that I didnt miss much. I was really hoping that Sillinger would give us a boost. But I guess everybody cant have a Sully-type debut.

Old
02-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
1. REESTABLISH THE HORDI-SMITHSON-TOOTOO LINE!!!

2. Trade Allison for a bag of doritos or whatever you can get for him.

I was aggravated that my DVR didnt pick the game up, but now I see that I didnt miss much. I was really hoping that Sillinger would give us a boost. But I guess everybody cant have a Sully-type debut.
Actually, the third period was pretty fun to watch, although still frustrating on some levels. The final minute of play really stood out...We take a faceoff in their zone, we are on the PP, Vokoun is on the bench....so 6 on 4 for a full minute. We win the faceoff clean, and one of our point guys gets it. Then for the next 40 seconds Kariya, Sullivan, and Kimmo pass it back and forth on the point. No one went to the middle, no one broke up the tight diamond. I don't think we even got a shot on net, even though we had everything going for us on that final minute (including momentum).

And Crosscheck - The answer is yes.

Closed Thread