HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why must they boo Doug Weight?

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 04:39 PM
metallicat

vCash: 500
Why must they boo Doug Weight?

He is different that players that left for UFA. He was traded away from Edmonton. There is a big difference there. If Comrie was to be traded after this mess we are in with him, booing would IMO be acceptable. Booing Doug Weight isn't acceptable. He was nothing but class when he was here, and now he is being treated like crap. I just hope he remembers the standing ovation we gave him his first game back. That was an awesome thing the Oilers did for him.

Old
10-21-2003, 04:46 PM
McJadeddog

they boo because he is a typical money hungry athlete

Old
10-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Yanner39

Actually, I really think Weight never wanted to leave Edmonton. He signed a number of one-year contracts below his market value to stay in Edmonton. I think at the end, the NHLPA was pressuring him to sign a bigger deal.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:03 PM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
they boo because he is a typical money hungry athlete
No, because the same people that boo Doug Weight, are also the ones to yell "shoot" constantly on a power play.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
No, because the same people that boo Doug Weight, are also the ones to yell "shoot" constantly on a power play.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Weight make a comment that it will be nice to go home after a 6-3 win even if was a -2.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Oilhitch

Doug Weight wanted a trade out of Edmonton and he limiteed the trading partners to St. Louis and Detroit.

In my mind Doug Weight %&@* the Oilers. He deserves to be booed.

The Oilers made the best deal they could at that time. Even though it was one of the worst traded in Oilers history.

They let the player dictate who he wanted the club to deal with.

I hate Doug Weight.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Brynster

They boo Doug for the same reason they've booed Gretzky, Messier, Guerin, Arnott, Cujo, Tik, Damphousse, Buekeboom and others... because they don't play for the Edmonton Oilers anymore. All of those guys understand the situation and would expect no less. They ain't one of US anymore.

Put a different jersey on and the on-ice love affair is over. When their NHL careers are over, then and only then, will Oiler fans bury the hatchet.

Personally... that's how I like it.
They're an Oiler fan FIRST... and then (player name) fan SECOND.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:25 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynster
They boo Doug for the same reason they've booed Gretzky, Messier, Guerin, Arnott, Cujo, Tik, Damphousse, Buekeboom and others... because they don't play for the Edmonton Oilers anymore. All of those guys understand the situation and would expect no less. They ain't one of US anymore.

Put a different jersey on and the on-ice love affair is over. When their NHL careers are over, then and only then, will Oiler fans bury the hatchet.

exactly.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:29 PM
oildrop

Quote:

Exactly my thoughts, well said Bryn.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:32 PM
riles

I think must people booed because they thought that Weight dove on the Hemsky penalty. Which happened right before the booing started.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Brynster

I happened to talk to Doug about this very thing this morning.
He chuckled and he understands.

However, I remember how much it hurt him the first time it happened in here, but shook it off. Hey... that's pro sports... they don't pay you millions to worry about how the crowd's reacting!

Old
10-21-2003, 06:58 PM
metallicat

Bryn the celebrity posts here! Well I at least hope that Doug holds no hard feelings of fans here, and that he still has fans here. He was without a doubt my favorite player when he was here. Class act all the way through.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:03 PM
Brynster

He has nothing but great things to say about the fans, team and city.
And he loves playing here.

But we'd all have jumped at that opportunity to make 8 Mil. The Oil were forced to deal him after Roenick got a blank cheque from the Flyers that summer. There was ZERO chance of the oil resigning him at 5 when he could get 8 somewhere else. We ALL would have done the same thing.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:08 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Plus, you don't see bad players get boo'd. It is an indication that he is an excellent player. Weight is the last player that Edmonton truely loved - since our dynasty was sold off there hadn't been a player that had the love and admiration of the fans in Edmonton. When he retires he'll probably consider himself an Oiler (unless he plays in another city for the rest of his career and wins a cup or two some where).

Old
10-21-2003, 07:43 PM
Tidus

Quote:
He is different that players that left for UFA. He was traded away from Edmonton. There is a big difference there. If Comrie was to be traded after this mess we are in with him, booing would IMO be acceptable. Booing Doug Weight isn't acceptable. He was nothing but class when he was here, and now he is being treated like crap. I just hope he remembers the standing ovation we gave him his first game back. That was an awesome thing the Oilers did for him.
Because Doug Weight didn't want to sign in Edmonton for 6 million/per. He wanted 8 million. Now to me and you, and most people here, thats not much of a difference. Its still a LOT of money. Doug was our top paid player for a long long time. Edmonton commited lots of money to him and when the chips were down he wanted way too much. The fans have every right to boo him.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Tidus

And to those wondering where I got the $6 million figure, Weight said it in an interview the day after he was traded. I believe the quote was something like "Edmonton only offered me 6 Million" or "Edmonton would only be able to afford 6"

Old
10-21-2003, 07:53 PM
hockeyaddict101

He didn't get booed

until after the fans felt he dived.

In fact he even got some cheers after his goal.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:53 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
YEp....those people yelling shoot should be shot...LMHF#1 said it best..."The people yelling shoot think that they are playing video games where you can shoot fom any position...they are mostly complete idiots that know nothing about hockey."

Old
10-22-2003, 08:06 AM
goldenchild

I loved Doug Weight as an Oiler gave everything he had wore the jersey and C with a great deal of pride. He made a business decision that's what this thing is but I have only heard him speak glowingly of his time as an Oiler. I think the frustration of finishing 8th every year and a chance to go to a team that was trying to win the Cup played a part too and if you could turn down $42 million well then your a bigger man than me. As it turns out we did pretty well in the deal Reasoner to me looks like he will become the 2nd line center we thought we were getting and Stoll and JDD can be a big part of this team for a long time. I have no bad feelings towards Weighter and in fact still route for him to do well. When he hangs them up and returns to Edm I doubt he will hear boos.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:18 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:

BRAVO!

you get a prize for that post... how about a "Tickle-Me-LawnDemon" dolly?

Old
10-22-2003, 08:25 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
BRAVO!

Now THERE'S a mental image I didn't need in my head today...*shudder*

Thanks a heap!

Old
10-22-2003, 08:27 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
BRAVO!

Just say, "thanx, but no thanx", Bryn. You really don't want a "Tickle-Me-DeadCat" dolly.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:43 AM
copperandblue

Bryn's spot on in the team first, player second idea.

In Edmonton, we don't have the luxury of simply rooting for our stars because inevitably they have to leave.

However in Weight's case it goes a little further for me;

The man was a god in the city while he was playing here and he treated us very well also, BUT he left and left for what I see as the pinnacle of what is wrong with the NHL today.

We can talk about, Weight's "shot at a cup" in St Louis all we want but you can't convince me that if the Oilers offered him 8 mil a year for 5 years he wouldn't be wearing Oiler silks right now.

This isn't a shot at Weight because he was simply following the unions lead and expectations but it doesn't change the fact that for myself, and I suspect many fans in Edmonton, he is the symbol of why Edmonton has to struggle in icing a competitive team.

I wish him the best of luck and totally appreciate what he did for the team and city here, but simply put I wish the game was operated under conditions that allowed teams to simply manage their talent based strictly on hockey decisions. Until that happens, I will happily continue to boo Weight. Again not Weight the player or person but Weight the symbol for what the league has become.

That is my rant for the day.

Closed Thread