HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

first 2 goals were HORRIBLE

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 04:40 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
first 2 goals were HORRIBLE

the game is only in the first period and already salo has let in 2 VERY VERY weak goals, we need better goaltending than this..... PERIOD... this game should have been put away, but now its a game again, thanks to salo

Old
10-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Lowetide

First one looked like it might have been deflected, although I'm not certain. The second one Tommy was floppy again, but I think there was some blame for others on the play.

I'd say the several Oilers acted like it was a jail break, and forgot how they got up 3-0.

Old
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
the game is only in the first period and already salo has let in 2 VERY VERY weak goals, we need better goaltending than this..... PERIOD... this game should have been put away, but now its a game again, thanks to salo
BINGO! Just posted that in the game day thread. I guess Salo tonight has his playoff game face on.

Old
Hemmer

He MAY have been able to stop the first one if he had been able to pick it up through the maze of players.

The second goal? LOL. That was completely, totally, and UTTERLY Horcoff's man that got left alone in front to whack in a rebound of a rebound. No fault on Salo, he was committed and out of position. Danton shouldn't have got that shot, never mind Salo make the save.

Take it easy on Salo.

Old
10-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
He MAY have been able to stop the first one if he had been able to pick it up through the maze of players.

The second goal? LOL. That was completely, totally, and UTTERLY Horcoff's man that got left alone in front to whack in a rebound of a rebound. No fault on Salo, he was committed and out of position. Danton shouldn't have got that shot, never mind Salo make the save.

Take it easy on Salo.
Salo's piss poor with his rebounds. He's equally to blame.

Old
10-21-2003, 04:51 PM
jadeddog

ill give you that the 1st goal *might* have been deflected, but i dont know for sure.... even if it *was* deflected, it was defelected high in the slot, lots of time for a supposed high calibre NHL goalie to react

the 2nd goal odnt even talk to me about, there shouldnt have been a rebound, secondly, if for some ungodly reason you *do* allow a rebound on such a soft shot, it had better be in the corner, not RIGHT in front of the net

a 13 year old goalie can tell you the same thing

Old
10-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Hemmer

Granted...there probably *shouldn't* have been a fat rebound into the slot - that said, if Horc was responsible and didn't arrive late...

Old
10-21-2003, 05:06 PM
Hemmer

ok...3rd goal was BAD

Old
10-21-2003, 05:07 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
ok...3rd goal was BAD
At least Salo's consistent.

4 bad goals now.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
At least Salo's consistent.

4 bad goals now.

I thought it was deflected twice, off Mayers stick and then Bergeron. Did I see it wrong?

Old
10-21-2003, 05:16 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I thought it was deflected twice, off Mayers stick and then Bergeron. Did I see it wrong?
Looking at the replay,I spoke to soon, just a reaction after the first three.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:17 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
You saw it right.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:32 PM
jadeddog

this game is sooooo bad, that its not even funny

yeah, way to go macT, replace salo after 5 FREAKING GOALS!!! he should have been gone after 2, but because salo is untouchable and not accountable on this team, the oilers will probably lose this game

Old
10-21-2003, 05:37 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Whether Salo was to blame on the 4th goal or not, he should have been pulled right then. Giving up 2 goals in 15 seconds is time to send a wakeup call to your team.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
this game is sooooo bad, that its not even funny

yeah, way to go macT, replace salo after 5 FREAKING GOALS!!! he should have been gone after 2, but because salo is untouchable and not accountable on this team, the oilers will probably lose this game

I have to agree, this is the worst performance I have seen by a netminder in a long time.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:43 PM
jadeddog

just in case any of your were wondering out "star" goaltender, had about a .730 save percentage (if my quick math is about right) tonight

yeah hes earning his 3 million+ a year...... i didnt think it was possible for him to play worst this year than last, but he is slowly proving me wrong..... now i know what you are all gonna say, that you cant look at 5 games played by salo and judge his whole year, and your right..... but its starting to look like he gonna pick up with last years TERRIBLE goaltending.... and its not even that he doesnt do what your supposed to do.... you know...... actually STOP most of the shots that come your way..... what is REALLY bad about salo is his ability to almost NEVER make the critical save.... 3-0 and you let in THREE, count em, THREE freaking soft goals in a row, terrible, just plain terrible

Old
10-21-2003, 05:46 PM
elphy101

Quote:
yeah hes earning his 3 million+ a year...... i didnt think it was possible for him to play worst this year than last, but he is slowly proving me wrong..... now i know what you are all gonna say, that you cant look at 5 games played by salo and judge his whole year, and your right.....

What a save percentage below .890 for the season is not good enough?

All I have to say is a duo of Noronen and Conklin would sure look good next year. Especially with the 3+ million that would be saved.

But going by the Oilers management's love of older weaker players (Cross, Ferguson), they will probably sign Salo to a Roman Turek like extension.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:50 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
just in case any of your were wondering out "star" goaltender, had about a .730 save percentage (if my quick math is about right) tonight

yeah hes earning his 3 million+ a year...... i didnt think it was possible for him to play worst this year than last, but he is slowly proving me wrong..... now i know what you are all gonna say, that you cant look at 5 games played by salo and judge his whole year, and your right..... but its starting to look like he gonna pick up with last years TERRIBLE goaltending.... and its not even that he doesnt do what your supposed to do.... you know...... actually STOP most of the shots that come your way..... what is REALLY bad about salo is his ability to almost NEVER make the critical save.... 3-0 and you let in THREE, count em, THREE freaking soft goals in a row, terrible, just plain terrible
Careful you will be labeled a Salo basher! Tommy has/is worse than last year if you can believe it. Who would have thought that?

Old
10-21-2003, 06:35 PM
riles

Everyone blames Salo, yet it would be nice if he had a team that is defensibly responsible. Everyone takes their man, doesn't start running around, takes the body and the game would have a MUCH different outcome.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:36 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by riles
Everyone blames Salo, yet it would be nice if he had a team that is defensibly responsible. Everyone takes their man, doesn't start running around, takes the body and the game would have a MUCH different outcome.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Oiler_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8
Careful you will be labeled a Salo basher! Tommy has/is worse than last year if you can believe it. Who would have thought that?
Well, his play cost them 2 points tonight. I was hoping he would rebound with a vengeance this year. Sadly, I think he's already in danger of losing what confidence the players might have in him already after tonight. That's the death knell of a goalie in any city.

Still early and it's only one game, but tonight had to be dissapointing for anyone pulling for him.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:40 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by riles
that is true.... if they would have played better defence they would have won the game, no question..... but if the defence falters then its up to your goalie to save the freaking shot..... ESPECIALLY when the shots were SOOOO weak.... no word of a lie, i could have stopped 3 of the goals tonight, im not kidding......

what REAL\lY irks me about all this is that *****ing salo will probably start again against colorado..... how long will this charade go on for? i thought that after last years embarassment of a season by salo that management wouldnt give him so much slack this year, i guess i thought wrong..... sali still gets treated like some star goalie when hes not even a top 20 goalie in the league, let alone a *star* goalie

Old
10-21-2003, 06:43 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I can't believe how hard you guys are being on Salo. Mainly just a bunch of Bandwagen jumpers here - he plays good - and he's fine this year and we'll be fine. He has a bad game (which he didn't tonight) and everybody blames all the Oilers problems on him. The funniest part is listening to people claim that the second goal was his fault. PFFT. It was a complete and udder breakdown of the defense that left a guy COMPLETELY alone in front of the net with all the time in the world. Somebody said, "oh he was flopping"..... well use your head - YOU DON'T STAND UP WHEN A GUY IS ALL ALONE ONE F*#@ing foot outside the crease!!!!!! YOU HAVE TO GO DOWN!!!! stand up and it will go in on the ice ALL night long! God help some Oiler fans if we ever get a butterfly goalie!

Old
10-21-2003, 06:49 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I can't believe how hard you guys are being on Salo. Mainly just a bunch of Bandwagen jumpers here - he plays good - and he's fine this year and we'll be fine. He has a bad game (which he didn't tonight) and everybody blames all the Oilers problems on him. The funniest part is listening to people claim that the second goal was his fault. PFFT. It was a complete and udder breakdown of the defense that left a guy COMPLETELY alone in front of the net with all the time in the world. Somebody said, "oh he was flopping"..... well use your head - YOU DON'T STAND UP WHEN A GUY IS ALL ALONE ONE F*#@ing foot outside the crease!!!!!! YOU HAVE TO GO DOWN!!!! stand up and it will go in on the ice ALL night long! God help some Oiler fans if we ever get a butterfly goalie!
first of all im far from a bandwagon jumper here, ive been an oiler fan since i was born, and if you are referring to salo - ive NEVER been a salo fan, ill admit that

for you to say that he *didnt* have a bad game today is laughable.... that was one of the worst performances ive almost ever seen from salo, and with salo thats saying something..... the 1st goal should have been stopped EASILY... the 2nd goal was a TERRIBLE rebound, a 12 year old knows to direct a softie like that to the corner.... the demitra goal was unbelievably bad... ill say that again, UNBELIEVABLY bad..... i just cant express in words how bad of a goal that was... its almost uncomprehendable how soft the goal was to be honest, so im gonna stop trying to explain how bad it was... the breakaway wasnt his fault obviously nor was the one that bounced off two different players and went in.... but 3 terrible goals DOES equal a terrible night

i dont know how anybody who saw that game could possibly defend salo after that stinker.... even my dad, who is VERY level headed about goaltending and doesnt usually complain very much was commenting about how poorly salo played tonight

Old
10-21-2003, 06:50 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
so throw away those other 4 games where he played solidly and even held the oilers in the game at times...? ok will do, if he rebounds next time in the next time he gets in the game you'd better believe i'm gonna bring this up. Some people have no idea what "tabula rasa" means, if you're one of them you should check it out, might reveal a few things to you.

Closed Thread