HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Phillies off season thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2005, 04:12 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
OT: Phillies off season thread

TSN

Word is the Phils are going after Tom Gordon from the Yankees as Wags replacement.

Old
11-28-2005, 04:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Gordon sucks, I was all for keeping Wagner, but I laugh at the Mets for paying him so much.

Old
11-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Gert B Frobe

Wagner will suck as a met and get booed and whine about it

Old
11-28-2005, 04:30 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Gordon sucks, I was all for keeping Wagner, but I laugh at the Mets for paying him so much.
I agree, he is overkill for the Phils as they are not contenders and paying him 10mm for 4 years is insane. Now can they use that money wisely to improve this team? The bullpen is a mess and unless they offer Gordon much more money then the Yanks why would he come here? Cormier and Madsen is what is in the Pen now along with a couple stiffs. That is a solid bull pen I say.

Old
11-28-2005, 04:35 PM
stanley

I smell two Met compensatory picks in return (the upside for having someone else sign your free agents).

They're really better off in the long run. Now they can invest that money elsewhere. Really - ridding themselves of the Thome and Wagner contracts (even if they still are paying quite a bit of the former's salary) is a blessing.

Old
11-28-2005, 04:45 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Other guys out on the market:

Kyle Farnsworth
Trevor Hoffman
Bob Wickman
Todd Jones
Julian Tavarez
Roberto Hernandez
Rudy Seanez - Notched 84 K's in only 60 innings
Cal Eldred
Giovanni Carrara
Rick White
Joey Eischen
Chris Hammond
Scott Sauerbeck
Paul Quantrill

Old
11-28-2005, 04:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

No Todd Jones, he will sign somewhere and not even be close to what he was in Florida

No Roberto Hernandez. We lived through that once already.

I'll take Hoffman if he doesn't cost too much

Old
11-28-2005, 05:05 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
def. hoffman.

Old
11-28-2005, 05:51 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
Other guys out on the market:

Kyle Farnsworth
Trevor Hoffman
Bob Wickman
Todd Jones
Julian Tavarez
Roberto Hernandez
Rudy Seanez - Notched 84 K's in only 60 innings
Cal Eldred
Giovanni Carrara
Rick White
Joey Eischen
Chris Hammond
Scott Sauerbeck
Paul Quantrill
please tell me you are not serious about these guys being closers are you? only Hoffman, Wickman and possibly Farsworth would cut it as a closer. soem of the others as a set up man ok....forgot to include Jose Mesa

Old
11-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
ah ****. I guess I better get to ripping up all my Wagner and me photos

Old
11-28-2005, 09:18 PM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
Not a surprise... he wasn't happy here anyways. I never liked his off-the-field attitude anyway. Have fun losing in NY, Billy.

As for a new closer, I wouldn't mind Farnsworth, Hoffman, or Wickman. The Rowand deal was nice, but now it's really time for Gillick to show us what he's made of.

Old
11-29-2005, 04:26 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I got a novel concept. How about developing a closer from within and spend that money on some much needed starting pitching? Or maybe even using Ugeth Urbina as the closer? It's not as if Urbina hasn't done it in the past. I think there are a lot more problems with the Phils right now than just closing. They need some serious arms. I also think a shot of chemistry is definitely needed. Lots of talent, but there always seems to be something preventing them from getting over the hump.

Old
11-29-2005, 04:39 PM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
The Urbina thing would be great....

...if he wasn't charged with attempted murder.

Developing from within would be nice, but when you have a team that is trying to make a run at a World Series is that really the right thing to do? I agree with the whole starting pitching deal though. We need some, and badly. Padilla is iffy, Wolf won't be back until July... Lieber and Lidle are really as reliable as it gets.

What starting pitching is on the market right now?

Old
11-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Nikkowar

Phillies Offseason thread

Ok,so we now that Thome's gone,and Wagner too.

But it's a good thing that we have Rowland. That'll make Michaels more flexible in the outfield. A suggestion was said that if the Phillies were playing against a left-handed pitcher,that Michaels would play leftfield,and Burrell could play first. I like that idea.

Also,the Phillies signed Abraham Nuñez from the St.Louis Cardnals.

Good news,he's a third baseman

oh and can we merge the Thome/Wagner threads in here,too?

Old
11-29-2005, 05:55 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoflyers75
What starting pitching is on the market right now?
AJ Burnett. Outside of him, there isn't too much. And AJ is gonna be expensive. When Esteban Loaiza gets a 3 year/ 21.375 million dollar deal from Oakland, you know AJ is going to get big bucks.

If there was a pitcher I'd take a flyer on though (pardon the pun), I'd seriously look at Joe Mays. As well, Toronto might have an extra arm or two to spare in Ted Lilly and Miguel Batista. That might be something to look at. If you're also going to look at the trade route, why not Javier Vasquez? I think a return to the NL East would be dynamite for him. As well, take a wait and see approach with regards to what the Yankees are going to do. You have to figure they're gonna pull the plug on the Jarrett Wright experiment. He might be another one who might benefit from a return to the NL East.

As for Urbina and the whole attempted murder thing, I'm willing to bet that it's nothing more than an overactive imagination of people. He's been a model citizen throughout his entire career and this is something totally out of character. I don't think he did it and I think it will come out in court that he didn't do anything.

Old
11-30-2005, 12:04 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
the afternoon guys on 610 today were saying that Ed Wade could have signed Wagner for 3 years 20 million. just goes to show what kind of boob this idiot was...

good signing of Nuñez today, he will be good platooning with Bell.

Old
11-30-2005, 05:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
the afternoon guys on 610 today were saying that Ed Wade could have signed Wagner for 3 years 20 million. just goes to show what kind of boob this idiot was...

good signing of Nuñez today, he will be good platooning with Bell.

and actually have a bench

Old
11-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Flyers26

Or Wade should have traded him at the deadline , and got us something for him.
Wade = TOOL !!

Old
11-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Nikkowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
Or Wade should have traded him at the deadline , and got us something for him.
Wade = TOOL !!
That's a good idea. I was actually believing that Wagner for Arroyo and Youkillis suggestion

Old
11-30-2005, 06:22 PM
GilbertDionneWasBad*

Don't worry, the Mutts will do the same thing they do every year, amass the most expensive and talented team in the National League and then finish around .500

Old
11-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Nikkowar

Phillies sign a guy named Julio Santana...link coming.....now.

Old
12-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Stonehands77

I heard rumblings this morning on WEEI here in Boston about trade talks between Boston and Philly about Bobby Abreu. No word on for what or whether this would even be possible (Abreu could nix the deal), but depending on the return it could be interesting. Like I said, it was just mentioned offhandedly while they were going over the latest "Where's Manny going and what will the Sox do?" update, but I thought it might be worth mentioning. I know the Phils would have no shot at any of the real good arms the Sox have (Papelbon, Delcarmen, or Hansen), but Arroyo or perhaps Youkilis would interest me. And there's probably nothing to this, but hey, when one's a Phillies fan, dreams are all you really have.

Old
12-01-2005, 01:04 PM
kingjdv

Send a message via AIM to kingjdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77
I heard rumblings this morning on WEEI here in Boston about trade talks between Boston and Philly about Bobby Abreu. No word on for what or whether this would even be possible (Abreu could nix the deal), but depending on the return it could be interesting. Like I said, it was just mentioned offhandedly while they were going over the latest "Where's Manny going and what will the Sox do?" update, but I thought it might be worth mentioning. I know the Phils would have no shot at any of the real good arms the Sox have (Papelbon, Delcarmen, or Hansen), but Arroyo or perhaps Youkilis would interest me. And there's probably nothing to this, but hey, when one's a Phillies fan, dreams are all you really have.
ESPN said that Boston offered Manny straight up for Abreu but the Phils said that getting a top pitcher in return (for either Bobby or Burrell) was priority #1.

Frankly, after the TO mess, I don't think the Philly fanbase would tolerate another loud-mouth, cry-baby like Ramirez.

Old
12-01-2005, 01:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjdv
Frankly, after the TO mess, I don't think the Philly fanbase would tolerate another loud-mouth, cry-baby like Ramirez.

Manny doesn't whine about money. He just whines about nothing. Manny also won't alienate any of his teammates.

Old
12-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjdv
ESPN said that Boston offered Manny straight up for Abreu but the Phils said that getting a top pitcher in return (for either Bobby or Burrell) was priority #1.

Agreed with gkj. Manny doesn't really whine a lot. Manny is...well, Manny is a space cadet. I actually like him a lot. He's amusing, he seems like he genuinely has fun out there on the field, and none of his teammates ever speak poorly of him. The reports of him frequently demanding trades, well, I take anything reported by any Boston sports writer with an ENORMOUS grain of salt, especially after the Dan Shaugnessy/Larry Lucchino/Theo Epstein debacle. Still, I wouldn't be too surprised if he actually did that. I doubt he loves the winters we have up here, or playing April worrying about snow storms. I can also see that wouldn't go over well with any Phillies fans.

That being said, I agree with the Phils' position here. Manny doesn't address the problems this team has: starting pitching and relief pitching. His bat is superb, but they need arms for Abreu and Burrell, not bats. And his contract is crazy...after moving Thome's contract, I would think part of the idea when moving Burrell/Abreu would be to also keep the money at a manageable level. Manny's contract would not fit with that idea.

Closed Thread