HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

for the love of god pull salo

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 05:07 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
for the love of god pull salo

thats all i have to say

Old
10-21-2003, 05:36 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
thats all i have to say
Done and done.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Oilhitch

I dont know what to say about Salo. I have said for the past 2 years that they need to get rid of him.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:33 PM
Schai

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
I dont know what to say about Salo. I have said for the past 2 years that they need to get rid of him.

He used to be a very consistent player. Now he is acting like Cujo.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:35 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
He had one sort of questionable goals - the Demitra one. The breakaway one PERHAPS could be placed on him, but after that I'm afraid the big finger is pointed at the brutaly disgusting defensive play of the team (and one good goal on the PP - the blues first goal).

Old
10-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Oiler_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
He had one sort of questionable goals - the Demitra one. The breakaway one PERHAPS could be placed on him, but after that I'm afraid the big finger is pointed at the brutaly disgusting defensive play of the team (and one good goal on the PP - the blues first goal).
Nothing personal, but lets get real here. The Oilers get lucky and pounce on a goalie struggling and take a 3 goal lead. Following this, Salo lets 5 goals in, in less than 25 minutes while facing a total of 16 shots. He makes 1 or 2 saves on questionable goals and makes a big save to earn his 3.9 million bucks and the Oilers win this game, arguably brutal defense or not.

What is the team getting for the money they pay him? It used to be consistency, but I haven't seen that in a while...

I'm not ready to write the guy off, but he HAS to be sharper than tonight in games like that.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:50 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler_Fan
Nothing personal, but lets get real here. The Oilers get lucky and pounce on a goalie struggling and take a 3 goal lead. Following this, Salo lets 5 goals in, in less than 25 minutes while facing a total of 16 shots. He makes 1 or 2 saves on questionable goals and makes a big save to earn his 3.9 million bucks and the Oilers win this game, arguably brutal defense or not.

What is the team getting for the money they pay him? It used to be consistency, but I haven't seen that in a while...

I'm not ready to write the guy off, but he HAS to be sharper than tonight in games like that.
Look I'm not saying that he had a good game. He didn't. Because Then he WOULD have came up with the BIG saves and won the game for the Oilers. But to say that the loss was his fault when brutal defensive breakdowns have become so commen place this year that some Oilers fans don't even think that their are bad or a big deal is a joke. I wonder about some of the posters who get so emotional and can't seem to think straight to realize that the second goal WASN'T Tommy's fault and that he was left hanging!!!!

Old
10-21-2003, 06:51 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler_Fan

what will it take for you to BE ready to write him off then? 2 years, 3 years of terrible play? im not bashing you here.... but tommy has had his chance here, the only problem is that the oil dont have anybody who would be able to step in for him right away, so sadly we're stuck with him

Old
10-21-2003, 07:19 PM
LawnDemon

should we start a comrie for noronen thread now?

Old
10-21-2003, 07:21 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
should we start a comrie for noronen thread now?
I already asked about Noronen apparently cost us Chimera+7th pick 2004
or a 2nd round pick.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:25 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

First off Tommy hasn't been bad this year. Tonight was his first and only iffy performance this year. But IF we EVER did go after a goalie I'd like to see Hurme..... I'm a big fan of him - he's played well enough to get a shot at being a starter, but sadly for him he's been stuck behind two elite goalies in Lalime and Luongo - he looked GREAT against us in the Olympics - and I truely think he could establish himself as an above average starting goalie in the NHL.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:26 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I already asked about Noronen apparently cost us Chimera+7th pick 2004
or a 2nd round pick.
you won't get noronen for chimera and a 7th... that's crazy talk.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Tidus

Yeah and Lowe won't trade Comrie for Noronen. No matter how much you want it to happen LD, thats a horrible trade.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:29 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Look I'm not saying that he had a good game. He didn't. Because Then he WOULD have came up with the BIG saves and won the game for the Oilers. But to say that the loss was his fault when brutal defensive breakdowns have become so commen place this year that some Oilers fans don't even think that their are bad or a big deal is a joke. I wonder about some of the posters who get so emotional and can't seem to think straight to realize that the second goal WASN'T Tommy's fault and that he was left hanging!!!!
Bad rebound on the second goal. Yes the Oilers dman shouldn't have let the player all alone. But you can't put a rebound shot from a bad angle back towards centre.

Salo wasn't alone tonight but he did have a terrible game. The first two goals were very weak and let St. Louis back in the game.

But I am not going to overract either. Should we start trading away all the players that had a bad game.

What can we get for Brewer ?

Old
10-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Tidus

And I too, am simply sick of seeing Salo choke every 2nd damn game. He's just not earning his 3.9 million buckeroos.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:32 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
First off Tommy hasn't been bad this year. Tonight was his first and only iffy performance this year. But IF we EVER did go after a goalie I'd like to see Hurme..... I'm a big fan of him - he's played well enough to get a shot at being a starter, but sadly for him he's been stuck behind two elite goalies in Lalime and Luongo - he looked GREAT against us in the Olympics - and I truely think he could establish himself as an above average starting goalie in the NHL.
Nurminen, Noronen, and perhaps Toskala are better choices then Hurme. I am not looking to get rid of Tommy as a result of poor play its just time to move him for trade value, money saving, and high availability of near NHL calibre starters. I just think Salo has peaked and will not get any better Oilers always buy low- sell high I am just saying his value will start going down and now is the time to sell.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:33 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus
And I too, am simply sick of seeing Salo choke every 2nd damn game. He's just not earning his 3.9 million buckeroos.
every two games? He's had one bad game. Spare me.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:38 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
you won't get noronen for chimera and a 7th... that's crazy talk.
Most Buffalo fans didn't think so when I proposed it they have three starting goalies and the market is flooded they need to make room for Miller although I am sure they would much rather trade Biron.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:39 PM
Tidus

Quote:
every two games? He's had one bad game. Spare me.
One bad game? What about in vancouver when the only save he tried was to stack the pads.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:41 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Nurminen, Noronen, and perhaps Toskala are better choices then Hurme. I am not looking to get rid of Tommy as a result of poor play its just time to move him for trade value, money saving, and high availability of near NHL calibre starters. I just think Salo has peaked and will not get any better Oilers always buy low- sell high I am just saying his value will start going down and now is the time to sell.
Perhaps, but all three would require more return - I think that Hurme has the upside/ability of all three but is more proven.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:55 AM
Master Lok

O woe is me! the sky is falling! trade salo! and... who does that leave us with? Ty (4 games) Conklin as the starter?

Old
10-22-2003, 11:07 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

let's not get the Salo boat to tip just yet, i agree that he had his hand in the blow bowl, but it was an overall lapse of gigantic proportions by just about everybody. start Conks in Colorado, and if Salo doesnt seem to fit, then we can ship him out around Christmas time.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:14 AM
vb

Looks to me like Salo has totally lost his confidence. He's often making the first move on the shooters instead of relying on his positioning and reflexes - he's guessing!!!

Old
10-22-2003, 11:30 AM
oilbaron

What is with this fascination with Noronen? Did anyone watch the Canucks-Sabres game a couple of nights ago? Did anyone see Noronen let in three goals on eight shots, and get pulled after 20 minutes?

This is an improvement over Salo???

Come on, people. Noronen is an AHL-level goalie at best. If not for expansion, i doubt he'd even be in the NHL. Whoever said that Noronen or Toskala (!) would make a better starter than Salo needs to lay off the crack. Some of these trade proposals are getting stupid.

Can we please stop jumping off and on the Salo bandwagon? No one had a problem with how he played on Saturday against the Avs. Yeah, he cost us the game last night. He's not the first Oiler to blow a game for us and he won't be the last. If this becomes a recurring thing - you know, blowing games - then we have reason to be concerned. Until then, all talk of bringing a Noronen or a Hurme in is completely silly.

Remember boys, it's a long season.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:55 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb
Looks to me like Salo has totally lost his confidence. He's often making the first move on the shooters instead of relying on his positioning and reflexes - he's guessing!!!
Salo has never really been a goalie that relies mainly on positioning to get his saves in. He's not *that* technically sound as a goaltender like a Giguere. What Salo does do when he's on is anticipate the plays before they happen. When he's guessing right, he's very good. When he doesn't, he falters and we've all seen the results of that.

Closed Thread