HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Why has Jaromir Jagr bounced around the NHL?

Old
12-27-2016, 05:22 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Jagr is the "superfluous man" found in Russian literature in the 19th century.
... ok. that works too.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2016, 05:31 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
If he retired for good in 2008 he would have only been on three teams over 18 years. That's fine. And bouncing around in his later years is not uncommon. Lots of stars did it when they got older. Oates, Gilmour, Coffey come to mind immediately. Anyone judge Coffey's career post 1996? Or does anyone remember Oates as an Oiler? We barely remember him as a Duck despite the fact he led the team in postseason scoring when they reached the final.
Echoed my thoughts. The CBA and its rule with multiyear deals with guys over 35 also kinda hurts somebody like Jagr. Teams will be cautious when handing out those deals and I think even Jagr acknowledged that it didn't make sense for teams to offer him two year deals.

Mark Recchi was another guy who bounced around a bunch at the end of his career. Five teams (not including a 2nd stint with Pittsburgh) over his final six seasons.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2016, 12:18 PM

Complletely off-topic but he is the last active player to have his name permanently engraved on the cup.

66871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2016, 05:39 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCHI View Post
According to Ryan Whitney a couple nights ago on TV he has never been well liked anywhere he ever played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
Source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Whiteacre View Post
@CanCHI Then how come Florida was raving about Jagr as a class act veteran mentor to the likes of Jonathan Huberdeau, Aaron Ekblad, Aleksander Barkov and Vincent Trocheck? If Ryan Whitney said that Jagr was never truly liked anywhere he ever played, how does Ryan Whitney know about Jagr's personal issues?
Earlier in his career especially in his prime in the late 90s, Jagr's unpopularity and eccentricities seemed to be a well known thing. He's mellowed out and turned into this fun loving, goofy guy in "old age," but once upon a time he was a brooding, petulant hot dog. I remember Danny Markov's famous salute after the Leafs eliminated the Penguins in 1999 quite fondly.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2016, 09:43 PM
Ishdul

Yeah, it's really just been since he's come back; 3 teams in the first 18 years, 5 in the past 5. In that year, he's signed a lot of short term contracts (which are both easier to trade and have more incentive to be traded), and is in situations where neither the team nor arguably him know whether he'll still be around the next year or how good he'll be if he still is, and because of his age you wouldn't really have him in your long term plans. In 2 of those cases he was a late season trade, largely because he was in his 40's, an expiring contract and good enough to want but not good enough to need.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Ishdul

I have only heard positive things about Jagr since his return, really in his tenure with the Rangers as well. Every article last year was clear glowing praise about his work ethic, dedication to hockey and what he meant to the Panthers. Now, whether you can take those kind of things seriously is another issue, but then for the same reason I wouldn't necessarily buy him being a perpetual malcontent when he was younger.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2016, 12:17 AM
K Fleur
Intangibles Per Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Earlier in his career especially in his prime in the late 90s, Jagr's unpopularity and eccentricities seemed to be a well known thing. He's mellowed out and turned into this fun loving, goofy guy in "old age," but once upon a time he was a brooding, petulant hot dog. I remember Danny Markov's famous salute after the Leafs eliminated the Penguins in 1999 quite fondly.
Danny Markov was a clown. That clown move (salute) is about the only thing he'll ever be remembered for doing in the NHL. That's if anybody outside of Toronto even remembers him 20 years from now(or now even).

K Fleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2016, 12:25 AM
Terry Yake

speaking of the jagr salute

anyone know why he stopped doing it? hasn't done it since his tenure with philly

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2016, 11:11 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
speaking of the jagr salute

anyone know why he stopped doing it? hasn't done it since his tenure with philly
he did it in Philly? I remember Mike Rupp mocking it while with the Rangers and Jagr kinda blew it off and said something along the lines of "I don't know what that was."

Could have also been Jagr joking about it.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2016, 11:12 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Fleur View Post
Danny Markov was a clown. That clown move (salute) is about the only thing he'll ever be remembered for doing in the NHL. That's if anybody outside of Toronto even remembers him 20 years from now(or now even).
and as I'm posting this, Markov is getting introduced for the alumni game.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2016, 11:28 AM
Crease

He's been very well-liked by coaches and fans since his Rangers days.

I think he's moved around so much because he's happy to ply his craft wherever there's opportunity. He's a bit of a nomad, doesn't really have family or friends to factor into the equation. Playing at a high level has been his number one focus for a long time now and will continue to be until he retires. The guy still bag skates himself two hours after the final buzzer. Certainly not going home to the wife and kids or meeting up with friends at the bar.

Last edited by Crease: 12-31-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2016, 12:06 PM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
he did it in Philly? I remember Mike Rupp mocking it while with the Rangers and Jagr kinda blew it off and said something along the lines of "I don't know what that was."

Could have also been Jagr joking about it.

Old
12-31-2016, 01:03 PM
19Yzerman19

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66871 View Post
Complletely off-topic but he is the last active player to have his name permanently engraved on the cup.
where do you get this from?

19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2016, 01:45 PM
hitman9172

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
I read somewhere last week that Jagr and Brian Gionta (I believe) are the only active pre-lockout players with their names on the Cup. Gionta in 2003 with the Devils and Jagr in 1991/1992(!) with the Penguins.

hitman9172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2016, 01:50 PM
Crease

The bands their names appear on will eventually be retired when more space is needed. Only 1893-1927 winners are permanent if I remember correctly.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2016, 08:05 PM
Terry Yake

that's actually an interesting point

gionta and jagr are indeed the only active players to have won a cup prior to the 05-06 lockout

Old
03-20-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Sorry for coming back so late on this -- totally forgot about this post.

To your question. Having researched this further, my original source (not that I even remember it at this point) was wrong. The 1990-91 Penguins were the last team to engrave their team name on the shoulder collar (which is permanent) but the names are engraved on one of the bands which will, of course, be replaced.

Old
03-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Tweed

Quote:
Sorry for coming back so late on this -- totally forgot about this post.

To your question. Having researched this further, my original source (not that I even remember it at this point) was wrong. The 1990-91 Penguins were the last team to engrave their team name on the shoulder collar (which is permanent) but the names are engraved on one of the bands which will, of course, be replaced.
What do you mean the team name is engraved on the shoulder collar? I've seen the cup several times in person and the only teams I saw engraved above the body's rings, were teams from a hundred years ago. You got a link and pic?

Tweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:46 PM
Stephen

Seems like because he wants to.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 02:08 PM
CokenoPepsi

Why doesn't Jagr do the kiss anymore?

CokenoPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
What do you mean the team name is engraved on the shoulder collar? I've seen the cup several times in person and the only teams I saw engraved above the body's rings, were teams from a hundred years ago. You got a link and pic?
So in piecing together why I even heard this originally I went to wikipedia and that is where I'm getting the info about the shoulder collar.

See the section "1957 Redesign" and the comment in italics above the table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono...Cup_engravings

Old
03-22-2017, 12:00 PM
Tweed

Quote:
So in piecing together why I even heard this originally I went to wikipedia and that is where I'm getting the info about the shoulder collar.

See the section "1957 Redesign" and the comment in italics above the table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono...Cup_engravings
Okay, I think I understand now. A "shoulder collar" is simply a ring/band.

All names are always "permanently" engraved... so your use of the word "permanently", made me think you believe there were "temporary" engravings elsewhere... OR... that you thought the Penguins were engraved on the Cup somewhere that isn't a band or ring, and that their name will never be removed even as rings are retired.

Specifically you said "The 1990-91 Penguins were the last team to engrave their team name on the shoulder collar (which is permanent) but the names are engraved on one of the bands which will, of course, be replaced."

I think what you're trying to say is: "The 1990-91 Penguins were the last team to engrave (which is permanent) their team name on the shoulder collar but the names are engraved on one of the bands which will, of course, be replaced."

... because the Shoulder Collar is NOT permanent.

I'm not sure why they use so many different descriptions for "band". I've never heard the bands (rings) referred to as "shoulder collars" before. That threw me off a bit too.

Tweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 12:04 PM
NHLsnipers

The amount of random assumptions and guys talking out of their ***** in this thread is impressive.

Easy answer is he wants to play 1st line minutes. Philly, Dallas, NJ, FLA. What do they all have in common? Lack of depth and his ability to play 1st line winger and PP minutes. While it would be awesome to win the Cup and play meaningful games in the playoffs, he ultimately wants to play a meaningful role on an NHL team still. Teams like the Penguins, Hawks, Kings, etc... he would not have that opportunity because of young good wingers. FLA is soon approaching that level and I bet he bounces or heads back and plays in the Czech Republic.

His agent has said multiple times that other teams have offered more money and he declined because he didn't want to get buried in 2nd-3rd line minutes.

I love the "gambling problem" quotes from 1998 when he owed someone money $450k or whatever it was. Pennies to Jagr at the time and I'm sure it was the bookie's way of getting him to pay sooner than he wanted to.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote