HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Max Pacioretty Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2017, 06:35 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
He's never been and never will be a physical player. When he wasn't scoring he was still playing solid defensive hockey, and was never a liability on the ice. He just wasn't scoring.
involved physically does NOT mean hitting everyone in sight, but going in front of the net when needed, going in the corners and so on...

guess you don't remember the ******** of blind passes between the D's, slowly getting out of the off-zone. Never ? come on now...

Old
01-10-2017, 06:37 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
true, but that doesnt excuse the floating around, refusal to be involved physically, the blind passes to no-one, and so on...
Nah, it's not excuse. There is no excuse to bad play, except bad play. Given that he wasn't scoring, I think his bad plays were amplified.
I can't really judge how 'playing through an injury' affected his play, or if his confidence was shot, but at end of day, he wasn't going to lose his deadly shot , and was more a matter of time then anything else.

And I agree, he doesn't strike me as a born leader.
Looks more like a follower to me, who seems to care alot, to the point that if they tell him to lead, he will try his best. I think the players are not the best judges of what's needed in leadership and I think the team choosing patches was more of a compensation for being a dedicated player and just a generaly good guy more then actual leadership skills.

Old
01-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

vCash: 265
Quote:
involved physically does NOT mean hitting everyone in sight, but going in front of the net when needed, going in the corners and so on...

guess you don't remember the ******** of blind passes between the D's, slowly getting out of the off-zone. Never ? come on now...
He wasn't playing well, but I didn't think he was as bad as a lot of people on these boards did.

Old
01-10-2017, 06:39 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Nah, it's not excuse. There is no excuse to bad play, except bad play. Given that he wasn't scoring, I think his bad plays were amplified.
I can't really judge how 'playing through an injury' affected his play, or if his confidence was shot, but at end of day, he wasn't going to lose his deadly shot , and was more a matter of time then anything else.

And I agree, he doesn't strike me as a born leader.
Looks more like a follower to me, who seems to care alot, to the point that if they tell him to lead, he will try his best. I think the players are not the best judges of what's needed in leadership and I think the team choosing patches was more of a compensation for being a dedicated player and just a generaly good guy more then actual leadership skills.
he was injured enough that he remained the most used forward in most games.

Old
01-10-2017, 06:41 PM
7 day theory

Quote:

Going to the front of the net, going in the corners...doesnt make Pacioretty effective.

That's not his game, that's not how he scores his goals.

Don't know why we can all just accept that he's a sniper who scores the majority of his goals using his shot on the perimeter. He doest that as well as most in the NHL.

The game you're describing is the game that Brendan Gallagher has to play...thats not Max Pacioretty's game.

Old
01-10-2017, 06:44 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Going to the front of the net, going in the corners...doesnt make Pacioretty effective.

Don't know why we can all just accept that he's a sniper who scores the majority of his goals using his shot on the perimeter. He doest that as well as most in the NHL.
no worries, I accept very well that he floats around most of the time.

I also accept that floating around most of the time means that you're no leader...

Old
01-10-2017, 06:47 PM
7 day theory

Quote:
no worries, I accept very well that he floats around most of the time.

I also accept that floating around most of the time means that you're no leader...
Why?

You assume he's floating around aimlessly...there's a reason he's 'floating around.

And also, if you don't think he's a leader...what difference does it make?

There's more ways to demonstrate leadership than churning your legs with no purpose, hitting everything that moves and mucking it up in front of the net.

In fact, I'd argue that the majority of leadership from any captain, happens away from the public's eye.

Old
01-10-2017, 06:52 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Why?

You assume he's floating around aimlessly...there's a reason he's 'floating around.

And also, if you don't think he's a leader...what difference does it make?

There's more ways to demonstrate leadership than churning your legs with no purpose, hitting everything that moves and mucking it up in front of the net.

In fact, I'd argue that the majority of leadership from any captain, happens away from the public's eye.
yes there is : he's lazy

difference ? what difference what any of us here says here makes ?

floating around is not one of those ways. No need for excuses.

Old
01-10-2017, 07:03 PM
7 day theory

Quote:
yes there is : he's lazy

difference ? what difference what any of us here says here makes ?

floating around is not one of those ways. No need for excuses.
perhaps he's being lazy to you...or maybe he's doing what snipers do

And that's finding dead spots on the ice, finding ways to get lost in the teams D zone coverage...

To say he's lazy?

I'm sorry, no offense to you, but I think thats a lazy way to evaluate his game.

Old
01-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

vCash: 265
I'll never understand people who criticize the game Max plays. He's always played the same way, and he's the 4th best scorer in the entire NHL over the last 5 (I think) seasons.

Old
01-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
Would still be more benefitial to trade him than keep him.

I think.

Are you thinking or dreaming you are? He'd benefit the team he was traded to. How many games would the Habs have won on their recent road trip without him? Whom would Radulov have passed to, Andrighetto?

Old
01-10-2017, 09:12 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
perhaps he's being lazy to you...or maybe he's doing what snipers do

And that's finding dead spots on the ice, finding ways to get lost in the teams D zone coverage...

To say he's lazy?

I'm sorry, no offense to you, but I think thats a lazy way to evaluate his game.
so, he's not a 2 way player anymore ?

Old
01-10-2017, 09:17 PM
frapp10

He is one of the worst passers on the team. Almost every time he tries to make a pass he messes up the play. Stick to shooting !

Old
01-10-2017, 11:00 PM
7 day theory

Quote:
so, he's not a 2 way player anymore ?
What does this have to do with what I wrote?

Old
01-10-2017, 11:11 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
What does this have to do with what I wrote?
It's ok for him to be lazy and float around since he's only a sniper.

Well if he's a 2 way forward, then floating around is not enough.

Yes, it is that simple.

Old
01-11-2017, 06:40 AM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
Quote:
He wasn't playing well, but I didn't think he was as bad as a lot of people on these boards did.
He was terrible are kidding us?

He was literraly a passenger in most nights.

Old
01-11-2017, 07:38 AM
7 day theory

Quote:
It's ok for him to be lazy and float around since he's only a sniper.

Well if he's a 2 way forward, then floating around is not enough.

Yes, it is that simple.
but I never said anything about him being a 2 way player?

Furthermore, I think it's lazy, to suggest the way he plays, is lazy.

What is it you would like him to do more?

You're characterizing his play, but I'm asking for you to tell me how he's lazy? Or rather, what it is you would like him to do more.

Old
01-11-2017, 07:49 AM
Respeck
Drouin

Quote:

The game you're describing is the game that Brendan Gallagher has to play...thats not Max Pacioretty's game.
When Pacioretty first came into the league he played more physical and drove the net, but he didn't shoot as much. When he went to the AHL, playing with Desharnais (who never shoots) forced him to start shooting more and after putting up 17 goals in 27 games in the AHL he came up and started playing more like he does now.

This team needs all the goals they can get, playing the way you described is how Pacioretty has become the goal scorer he is now. A guy like Gallagher has to play gritty in front of the net and in the corners because he doesn't have a shot like Pacioretty, Pacioretty is able to score from the perimeter because few players in the world have a release like him.

Old
01-11-2017, 08:06 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
but I never said anything about him being a 2 way player?

Furthermore, I think it's lazy, to suggest the way he plays, is lazy.

What is it you would like him to do more?

You're characterizing his play, but I'm asking for you to tell me how he's lazy? Or rather, what it is you would like him to do more.

are you saying he's not a 2 way player ?

floating around. That's how.

Old
01-11-2017, 08:24 AM
7 day theory

Quote:
are you saying he's not a 2 way player ?

floating around. That's how.
I wouldn't call him a 2 way player no...he's a goal scorer, a sniper.

His main use and role on the team is to score goals and he does that better than anyone else on this team.

But I'll ask you again...what does "floating around" mean?

Because you could say the same about most star players in the league, that they 'float around'

But what is it, that you would like him to do more of?

Seems me to, you want him to score 35 goals, but you also want him to skate around the ice like he's Bobby Farnham

Old
01-11-2017, 10:37 AM
Carey Commit
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to Carey Commit
Quote:
I wouldn't call him a 2 way player no...he's a goal scorer, a sniper.

His main use and role on the team is to score goals and he does that better than anyone else on this team.

But I'll ask you again...what does "floating around" mean?

Because you could say the same about most star players in the league, that they 'float around'

But what is it, that you would like him to do more of?

Seems me to, you want him to score 35 goals, but you also want him to skate around the ice like he's Bobby Farnham
There's a style bias from fans of a teams to big guys who play a more cerebral style. They see a big frame and they immediately want Cam Neely. Truth be told, Pacioretty is one of a pretty small number of players in the world who can consistently beat goalies clean with his wrist shot*, I'm not sure trying to turn him into a goal mouth presence trying to tip pucks in makes a whole lot of sense. Goal scoring is inconsistent. He's consistent in generating shots, he's consistent in being one of our top, if not our top, possession player and he's consistent big picture in his production, so I'm not sure why we as a fan base keep freaking out to every 12 games where he has only 2 goals on 35-40 shots.

*I'm sure it's been posted somewhere but the Jonas Siegel article about him not being named an all-star and his scoring was pretty cool, this part stuck out to me,

Pacioretty's wrist shot, in particular, has been the NHL's most lethal over the past six seasons. He tops all players with 111 goals on his wrist shot in that span, trailing only the Blues' Vladimir Tarasenko and Jets' Mark Scheifele with 12 this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ower-1.3929112

Old
01-11-2017, 10:38 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Same here, because he now has the C people are expecting even more from him and it puts him under an even larger microscope.

Old
01-11-2017, 10:52 AM
scrubadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by frapp10 View Post
He is one of the worst passers on the team. Almost every time he tries to make a pass he messes up the play. Stick to shooting !
100% agree. You can count on the play dying if Max is trying to make passes. It's not his game.

Now as a shooter and finding good spots on the ice Max is up there with the best of them. He is paid to score goals and he does that job.

I just hate on the PP when he has the puck because you know 9/10 its going to result in a turnover and dead play

Old
01-11-2017, 11:12 AM
7 day theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Commit View Post
There's a style bias from fans of a teams to big guys who play a more cerebral style. They see a big frame and they immediately want Cam Neely. Truth be told, Pacioretty is one of a pretty small number of players in the world who can consistently beat goalies clean with his wrist shot*, I'm not sure trying to turn him into a goal mouth presence trying to tip pucks in makes a whole lot of sense. Goal scoring is inconsistent. He's consistent in generating shots, he's consistent in being one of our top, if not our top, possession player and he's consistent big picture in his production, so I'm not sure why we as a fan base keep freaking out to every 12 games where he has only 2 goals on 35-40 shots.

*I'm sure it's been posted somewhere but the Jonas Siegel article about him not being named an all-star and his scoring was pretty cool, this part stuck out to me,

Pacioretty's wrist shot, in particular, has been the NHL's most lethal over the past six seasons. He tops all players with 111 goals on his wrist shot in that span, trailing only the Blues' Vladimir Tarasenko and Jets' Mark Scheifele with 12 this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ower-1.3929112
Oh I was waiting to mention that...but I haven't yet gotten a reasonable argument as to how Pacioretty is lazy.

Thanks for posting this though, that was indeed a good article and I agree 100% with your post, people see Pacioretty's size and think he should play like Cam Neely, but that' not his game and if he ever were to play this way, you'd have to cut his goal totals in half.

Old
01-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

Quote:
I'll never understand people who criticize the game Max plays. He's always played the same way, and he's the 4th best scorer in the entire NHL over the last 5 (I think) seasons.
I was concerned because up until the current stretch, he looked like a shell of his former self.

You can take a 5 year sample size, and it looks good. My stance has been that his play had taken a noteable dive since his 2015 surgery, so the concern was that his surgery had affected his skating ability. Thankfully, that breakaway stride is back. When pacioretty is skating well, it seems to make all facets of his game better.

Closed Thread