HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P-L Dubois Part 2

Old
01-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Byrral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr View Post
Don't see it happening that way. Sends the wrong message to Bjorkstrand, Milano, Zaar, Broadhurst.... No way is he better than the kids toiling in the "A" now. He's going to have to earn it and from everything seen, said and written from multiple sources it's hard to see in on the big club next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
As of today, he's behind Bjorkstrand and Milano for me. Maybe others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Yep. Fair enough. We will see. But he isn't soft.
I agree with both of the posts above and I posted earlier after RDriesenUD's post. Bjorkstrand, Milano, etc. will have to prove they can take Gagner's spot if they don't re-sign Sam, which I find unlikely. As much as I'd like to see PLD with the team he may have to go back to juniors for another year if he's not ready.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2017, 07:38 PM
EDM

Why does anyone "want" to see PLD on the Jackets next year ???? For the love of Gordie Howe, we hopefully are not going back to what this team used to be, handing out positions based on factors other than merit. This guys has down NOTHING to have earned a spot on next year's NHL club. He does not have anything left to learn in Juniors ??? Is someone kidding? Delusional ??? How about if he learns to score goals in Juniors before promoting him 2 levels over guys busting their butts in Cleveland. I do not know what this kid may or may not become. But right now he is a slightly above average Juniors player. That does not equate to NHL. It does not even equate to AHL. We ae developing a franchise with real depth. We don't just go around handing out jobs because someone was a high draft pick. I hope the Doug MacLean school of management does not return.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2017, 07:53 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Why does anyone "want" to see PLD on the Jackets next year ???? For the love of Gordie Howe, we hopefully are not going back to what this team used to be, handing out positions based on factors other than merit. This guys has down NOTHING to have earned a spot on next year's NHL club. He does not have anything left to learn in Juniors ??? Is someone kidding? Delusional ??? How about if he learns to score goals in Juniors before promoting him 2 levels over guys busting their butts in Cleveland. I do not know what this kid may or may not become. But right now he is a slightly above average Juniors player. That does not equate to NHL. It does not even equate to AHL. We ae developing a franchise with real depth. We don't just go around handing out jobs because someone was a high draft pick. I hope the Doug MacLean school of management does not return.
They want to see him on the team next year, because if he is on the team it means he is playing really good. If that is the case, we are a better team than we would be with any of our other current options. No one is saying to give him the job.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Byrral

Quote:
I agree with what the poster below said.

Quote:
They want to see him on the team next year, because if he is on the team it means he is playing really good. If that is the case, we are a better team than we would be with any of our other current options. No one is saying to give him the job.
To add on: If this was the case each and every time with our prospects then Werenski and Nutivaara wouldn't be on the team right now, they would be in Cleveland. I do get your point. I don't think anyone, including me (who I believe this was intended for since I am the one that's been saying I think PLD will be here next year), is handing PLD or any prospect a position if they haven't earned it. If he's ready, he's ready. If he's not they will send him back. Jarmo and JD will do the right thing for the team and for the player.

Old
01-01-2017, 09:10 PM
CBJSlash

While I think he has tremendous upside, he has done nothing this year that would have me believe he could crack our NHL roster next year. I'll be interested what he'll do with his new junior squad.

AHL can do him well. This is fine with us in the long run. The longer we can keep his entry contract on the books the better it will be for us as we have to sign extensions.

This well be a huge referendum on our player development. The arch for Dubois is huge from Elite NHL center (Prime Lecavalier) to shutdown wing (Antoine Roussel). Where will he land?

We didn't press the right buttons with Johansen, but that's worked out just fine for us.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2017, 01:00 AM
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time

Quote:
Well in all honesty we are likely going to let go of Gagner unless he takes a massive reduced pay that he could get on the open market. Couple that with very possibly losing Karlsson in the expansion draft, we have plenty of roster spots available for Cleveland prospects like Bjorkstrand or Milano in addition to PLD..But PLD will have inside track due management perceiving of him as a center.

I think he'll be on the team next year unless he has another camp like he did this year. And if he does, its time to ring the alarm bells.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2017, 02:12 AM
brianhatesu

Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
I kind of would like seeing Milano in Gagner's role next year. Shelter is regular strength mins but give him lots of power play time. I'm not sure if he will be ready defensively to get regular ice time.

brianhatesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2017, 03:28 AM
EDM

Someone thinks Milano is not ready but, based upon his pathetically average season in Juniors, PLD is ready ??????? We are now entering Doug MacLean evaluation territory. I don't know what type of player PDL will become, but it is painfully obvious what kind of player he is now. And it is not NHL'er.

Old
01-02-2017, 05:51 AM
Tulipunaruusu*

It is bit early to tell since it is still what nine months to next pre-season to even begin? If Dubois wants to make the NHL team it ain't this day he needs to be ready but on that.

Even in the WJC Canada is yet to play any elimination games?

If you want to base your readiness evalutions on for example Puljujärvi's MVP WJC award or 'decent SM-liiga play-offs' currently different geezers are doing it from that team. As they were in the big games. Rantanen, Aho, Laine... only one is out the party. Sven Dufva cannot be seen in the gang.

Tulipunaruusu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2017, 06:16 AM
EDM

Exactly !!!!! ;-)

Old
01-02-2017, 05:20 PM
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time

Quote:
Someone thinks Milano is not ready but, based upon his pathetically average season in Juniors, PLD is ready ??????? We are now entering Doug MacLean evaluation territory. I don't know what type of player PDL will become, but it is painfully obvious what kind of player he is now. And it is not NHL'er.
Literally nobody is saying this.

Old
01-02-2017, 05:44 PM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Excited to see how he does in the Canada-Czech game tonight. Let's see what he looks like in a game that really matters.

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2017, 06:05 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Why does anyone "want" to see PLD on the Jackets next year ???? For the love of Gordie Howe, we hopefully are not going back to what this team used to be, handing out positions based on factors other than merit.
It would be terrible to see him work hard in the off season and earn a spot on the team.

We're still drama queens around here.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2017, 06:08 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeFinn View Post
Excited to see how he does in the Canada-Czech game tonight. Let's see what he looks like in a game that really matters.
I'm sure he'll look the same. He has things that need fixed/corrected that likely wont be fixed/corrected until the off-season.

Old
01-02-2017, 06:22 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Quote:
I agree with both of the posts above and I posted earlier after RDriesenUD's post. Bjorkstrand, Milano, etc. will have to prove they can take Gagner's spot if they don't re-sign Sam, which I find unlikely. As much as I'd like to see PLD with the team he may have to go back to juniors for another year if he's not ready.

I haven't seen hide nor hair of him, but I'm willing to bet on our scouts. I remember waiting patiently for Alex Picard, while watching Andrew Ladd have a good career. Clearly mistakes happen in drafting, but please all of you prior to deciding PLD is a mistake lets give him 4-5 years. It would be nice to have Laine or Matthews.. but they were not available to us.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2017, 08:00 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
I haven't seen hide nor hair of him, but I'm willing to bet on our scouts. I remember waiting patiently for Alex Picard, while watching Andrew Ladd have a good career. Clearly mistakes happen in drafting, but please all of you prior to deciding PLD is a mistake lets give him 4-5 years. It would be nice to have Laine or Matthews.. but they were not available to us.
Why do people keep posting comments like this? Who has said he was a mistake? All people have done is say he is playing bad and he is.

Old
01-02-2017, 08:12 PM
RDriesenUD

He's playing on a better line (for him) and has been a little better so far tonight.

Old
01-02-2017, 08:20 PM
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time

Noticed he's playing a Foligno-type role beside the net on Canada's powerplay. At least for this game.

Old
01-02-2017, 08:37 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

I will not say he is this or that at this stage in his career but he doesnt look super talented at this point in the WJC

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2017, 08:38 PM
Byrral

Quote:
He's playing on a better line (for him) and has been a little better so far tonight.
This is the way I saw him play in the Latvia game earlier. Much more engaged. Splitting up him and Strome and putting him with Gauthier has been good for him.

Old
01-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
I will not say he is this or that at this stage in his career but he doesnt look super talented at this point in the WJC
What are you looking for?

Old
01-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
What are you looking for?
That's not the point, I said I'm not going to judge him at this stage, it's a meaningless tournament in the grand scheme of CBJ winning cups. However, right now, I'd hope to see some flashes of skill, he doesnt insert himself into the action, he's just kind of there.

Old
01-02-2017, 09:07 PM
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time

His line is really going. But he's just a passenger on the line. He's playing better but he doesn't look anything like a first round draft pick, let alone a 3rd overall pick.

Old
01-02-2017, 09:10 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg10 View Post
His line is really going. But he's just a passenger on the line. He's playing better but he doesn't look anything like a first round draft pick, let alone a 3rd overall pick.
I have to second these thoughts, he's not a driving force, I'm not sure why he hasnt hit an extra gear, he's pretty frustrating to watch.

Old
01-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
That's not the point, I said I'm not going to judge him at this stage, it's a meaningless tournament in the grand scheme of CBJ winning cups. However, right now, I'd hope to see some flashes of skill, he doesnt insert himself into the action, he's just kind of there.
I wasn't trying to be an idiot, I was being serious. And it is the point, that's why I was asking. You have not seen any flashes of skill and haven't seen him insert himself into the action so there's nothing else you need to say.