HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrice Bergeron II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2017, 12:10 AM
  #76
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 15,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I was ok with Kopitar winning... I was way less ok with Toews winning in 2013. Bergy lost by 10 votes I think because 2 people didn't even have him in their top-5...

Crazy that in another world he could be winning his 6th IN A ROW this year.
Bergeron also had more first place votes in 2013 as well. He got jobbed out of a Selke that year, no doubt.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 12:15 AM
  #77
Pia8988
Registered User
 
Pia8988's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 6,056
vCash: 595
Bruins have to get in first, if they miss he won't get it same as last year.

Pia8988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 12:20 AM
  #78
Budddy
Registered User
 
Budddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Okanagan
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinaura View Post
Neither do I...I posted earlier he was robbed last year. Some voters take their time analyzing
this and some I suspect just look at it and say to themselves maybe time for a diff winner..

Budddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 07:27 AM
  #79
jgatie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budddy View Post
Neither do I...I posted earlier he was robbed last year. Some voters take their time analyzing
this and some I suspect just look at it and say to themselves maybe time for a diff winner..
Got robbed in 2013, too. Bergeron should own the Selke like Orr owned the Norris. It's his until someone takes it from him. Instead, we get "Well, it's this guy's time, who cares about the stats."

jgatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 09:30 AM
  #80
Espresso Martini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I was ok with Kopitar winning... I was way less ok with Toews winning in 2013. Bergy lost by 10 votes I think because 2 people didn't even have him in their top-5...

Crazy that in another world he could be winning his 6th IN A ROW this year.
I wasn't okay with Kopitar winning -- like him as a player but Bergeron is the better defensive player, no question.

Espresso Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 10:03 AM
  #81
Bruinaura
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
Got robbed in 2013, too. Bergeron should own the Selke like Orr owned the Norris. It's his until someone takes it from him. Instead, we get "Well, it's this guy's time, who cares about the stats."
Yep.

Bruinaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 10:47 AM
  #82
Trap Jesus
Registered User
 
Trap Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 15,494
vCash: 500
It'll be interesting to see the voting for the Selke this year. We all know Bergeron should get it every year, but you never know how the voting will go.

The reasons against Bergeron will be offensive production, even though he completely turned that around in the second half of the season (his numbers are comparable to the other main candidates Koivu and Kesler), zone starts being more slanted to offensive (way more than usual), the uncertainty of the Bruins making the playoffs again, and maybe the biggest one: Marchand's success, even if it's been offensive success.

Pretty much everything else points towards him winning. For one, I think the field this year is weaker than usual.

Koivu will be interesting. His basic advanced numbers aren't the strongest, but he really starts to show his worth when you start delving deeper. Still, Minnesota as a whole really trailed off, which I think will hurt him. People say he may get it as a "he's due" like Kopitar did last year, but I'm not so sure about that. For my money, he's been the clear #2 best defensive forward since Bergeron has been #1, but his Selke voting is (wrongly) not very strong. Can't recognize someone for being due if you didn't recognize them at all before.

Kesler started off extremely strong but he's trailed off. Still, he represents more of an old school appeal to the voters. Koivu and Kesler will be the biggest obstacles, and the main argument for them will be their heavy D-zone starts over Bergeron.

Other than that, you know you'll get Toews votes. I think people are starting to realize now that he's not that strong defensively, but I'm probably kidding myself. His offense rebounding and Chicago's season will be reason enough for a lot of people.

So many people are bizarrely pushing Backlund, Backstrom and Kadri this year. Backlund is a little more deserving, but I don't think any of them belong anywhere close to the discussion. They have a shot at breaking top 5 though.

Barkov and Stone will be the wildcards, and maybe Niederreiter due to his shot suppression numbers, but probably not. Barkov hasn't played as much as most, and being on Florida brings him down, but he really stepped up defensively when he has played this year. He will definitely be one to watch going forward, and has a good shot at being top 5 this year. Being a winger will always hold him back, but I think Stone will be the new Hossa, where people will always cry for him to get it, but he'll never quite get it done.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 11:06 AM
  #83
Trap Jesus
Registered User
 
Trap Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 15,494
vCash: 500
What in the world is going on with that "Controlled Exit Rate"?



Also of note:


Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 11:19 AM
  #84
Espresso Martini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
What in the world is going on with that "Controlled Exit Rate"?



Also of note:

Have you watched Backes and Marchand on the wall trying to get the puck out? I would think that is where it comes from.

Espresso Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 11:32 AM
  #85
Trap Jesus
Registered User
 
Trap Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 15,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresso Martini View Post
Have you watched Backes and Marchand on the wall trying to get the puck out? I would think that is where it comes from.
Sportlogiq compiles their stats through video, so a lot of these stats are personalized to just the player. Who knows though. I appreciate their stats, but they keep so much in the dark and left unexplained to the public. Probably does include the wingers considering it's rare to see Bergeron fail to get the puck out. That being said, he definitely tends to chip it out way more than carry it out, which may support those stats.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 11:34 AM
  #86
Budddy
Registered User
 
Budddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Okanagan
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresso Martini View Post
I wasn't okay with Kopitar winning -- like him as a player but Bergeron is the better defensive player, no question.
I wasn't either.. Bergeron stats were clearly better

Good article on Bergy

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...e-forward-ever

The writer also stated Bergeron deserved it last year...

Budddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 05:45 PM
  #87
Trap Jesus
Registered User
 
Trap Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 15,494
vCash: 500
He has 42 points in his last 41 games. Considering he started the season with 10 points in 34 games, he's rounded it out to a fairly regular offensive statline at the end of the day. Interestingly though his shooting % in the last 41 has still been below average for him. Kind of impressive that he even managed to break 20 when shooting such a low percentage. At 7% he has the lowest shooting percentage of any 20-goal scoring forward since Andy Bathgate in 1967/68. Shooting percentage started being recorded in 1967/68.


Last edited by Trap Jesus: 04-01-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 08:40 PM
  #88
Bruinaura
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
He has 42 points in his last 41 games. Considering he started the season with 10 points in 34 games, he's rounded it out to a fairly regular offensive statline at the end of the day. Interestingly though his shooting % in the last 41 has still been below average for him. Kind of impressive that he even managed to break 20 when shooting such a low percentage. At 7% he has the lowest shooting percentage of any 20-goal scoring forward since Andy Bathgate in 1967/68. Shooting percentage started being recorded in 1967/68.
I think I saw in another thread that you posted he is the only player to ever have four straight 1,000 faceoff win seasons? That's pretty impressive. He's had a rough time the last few games, though.

Bruinaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 12:05 PM
  #89
Bruinaura
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 500

Bruinaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 12:20 PM
  #90
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,098
vCash: 500
Will always be my all-time favorite player. I remember being the ONLY Bergeron Team Canada jersey here in 2010 walking around and at games.

Then a few more in 2014. Now he's a staple and you see more.

Then in 2016 the only Marchand jersey...

...see the pattern emerging?

I still need to get my two Team Canada Bergeron jerseys signed. Had a chance when they came to town this year but I was still in San Jose recovering and getting ready to fly home.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 12:27 PM
  #91
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin
 
TwineTickler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Shelton, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 23,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Will always be my all-time favorite player. I remember being the ONLY Bergeron Team Canada jersey here in 2010 walking around and at games.

Then a few more in 2014. Now he's a staple and you see more.

Then in 2016 the only Marchand jersey...

...see the pattern emerging?

I still need to get my two Team Canada Bergeron jerseys signed. Had a chance when they came to town this year but I was still in San Jose recovering and getting ready to fly home.
Agreed... if anyone surpasses him throughout my fandom that player will be pretty ****ing special. I've always been a Boston sports fan, but when I really became a hockey fan and die hard Bruins fan and have since watched basically ever single game was, surprise surprise, 2003 his rookie year. Hoping he has longevity like Brady and gets himself at least one more cup. I will pay whatever I have to pay to be on hand for when they retire #37. Also I can't wait til he gets the C on his sweater.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 01:05 PM
  #92
Trap Jesus
Registered User
 
Trap Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 15,494
vCash: 500
I wonder if he gets any consideration for the Lady Byng this year. You know he's always had the rep as a guy who would win this type of award, but you could never justify it because he takes way too many minor penalties. His penalties are down pretty drastically this year. There are other players whose numbers stand out more, but his reputation could give him a boost. He's also awful at drawing calls so you know he doesn't dive.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 01:12 PM
  #93
CharasLazyWrister
GrumpyMilton
 
CharasLazyWrister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,910
vCash: 500
I think part of the reason that I was never a big Loui Eriksson fan was that his main asset, apparently, was that he was a "premier two-way player".

When he's standing side-by-side on the same team with Bergeron, Loui doesn't look "premier" at all. Not to mention the general lack of passion and energy.

Bergy started the year off slow, but I really like what I'm seeing in the second half. A down year as far as point totals, but he's as strong on the puck as anyone on this team and makes HARD PLAYS almost always. Everything he does is with a purpose. Really love his game and he is one guy I can definitively say I never want to see wear another uniform.

CharasLazyWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 01:15 PM
  #94
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 15,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
I wonder if he gets any consideration for the Lady Byng this year. You know he's always had the rep as a guy who would win this type of award, but you could never justify it because he takes way too many minor penalties. His penalties are down pretty drastically this year. There are other players whose numbers stand out more, but his reputation could give him a boost. He's also awful at drawing calls so you know he doesn't dive.
I don't know if he'll be a final three, but the voters have been giving him votes since his 2nd year in the league. His reputation is well earned, but it still amazes me that it's been going on since he was still a teenager.

The only two seasons he didn't accumulate enough votes to be registered were his rookie season and his '07 lost year from the Jones hit.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...bergepa01.html

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 01:28 PM
  #95
jgatie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
"I didn't want it anyway!"

- Sergei Samsonov when told his first NHL fight means he won't be getting the Lady Byng

jgatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 01:50 PM
  #96
Bruinaura
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
I wonder if he gets any consideration for the Lady Byng this year. You know he's always had the rep as a guy who would win this type of award, but you could never justify it because he takes way too many minor penalties. His penalties are down pretty drastically this year. There are other players whose numbers stand out more, but his reputation could give him a boost. He's also awful at drawing calls so you know he doesn't dive.
I'm sure he'll get it. He's "due" after all. Isn't that how Kopitar got his Selke?

Seriously, to answer your question, I could see him at least being a finalist.

Bruinaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:01 PM
  #97
Bruinaura
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 500
Bergeron is a Selke finalist for the sixth straight year

Bruinaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:10 PM
  #98
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 15,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinaura View Post
Bergeron is a Selke finalist for the sixth straight year
Where did you see this?

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:17 PM
  #99
Alicat
City of Champions!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Titletown
Country: United States
Posts: 28,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by veddarrants View Post
where did you see this?

__________________
Do you believe in miracles?!

I am Boston Strong
6/15/11
4/15/13
10/30/13 | 2/1/15 | 2/5/17

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:18 PM
  #100
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 15,804
vCash: 500
Just got the update. Bergeron, Kesler, Koivu.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.